PDA

View Full Version : Do GW employees read these boards?

Sekhmet
23-09-2009, 05:10
If you are one or were one and came here while employed, lets hear about it!

Imperius
23-09-2009, 05:12
Its unlikeley that they do, and if they did it's not like they are about to tell us.
GW busness ethic... Crazy...

Sekhmet
23-09-2009, 05:14
What is their business ethic?

fubukii
23-09-2009, 05:30
when iwas a gw employee i visited the boards often

Sekhmet
23-09-2009, 05:36
when iwas a gw employee i visited the boards often

What did you do at GW?

Bassik
23-09-2009, 05:43
Gav Thorpe used to be a member on these boards, I remember him as quite a nice fellow. I correspondended with him about the new Chaos codex.

IcedAnimals
23-09-2009, 05:50
for the most part GW employees hate forum players. I just got finished having a huge arguement because one of them denied codex creep (not in store mind you, in store i could understand that he has to say the game is balanced)

They view most forums as a place for players to complain. But that is not "the higher ups" who knows if they come here for ideas and to check out the player response.

Necronlord3
23-09-2009, 06:45
I think the marketing people have to be involved in these forums. They pretty much use Warseer, Dakka, BolS, etc... as their free advertising. These sites do a better job of promoting GW product than WD has in the last 5+ years.

Occulto
23-09-2009, 07:09
for the most part GW employees hate forum players. I just got finished having a huge arguement because one of them denied codex creep (not in store mind you, in store i could understand that he has to say the game is balanced)

They view most forums as a place for players to complain. But that is not "the higher ups" who knows if they come here for ideas and to check out the player response.

The GW employees I've spoken to absolutely hate the players who trawl through every rumour forum, then come in with some obscure tidbit about <army x> possibly being released a few years from now, and start demanding to know precisely when <army x> is coming out.

Max1mum
23-09-2009, 07:12
yes ..we do indeed hate that ;-) ...

granted i'm not employee anymore ( went back to college ) but i do still feel a connection ;-).

and what marketing people ?! ...gw does marketing ?!

Condottiere
23-09-2009, 07:25
GW employees could be fanbois, and like most fanbois, like to congregate with the most vocal.

Marketing probably details a few to keep track of current sentiment and may write a summary for the management. Some bright spark might even try viral marketing.

Captain prophet
23-09-2009, 07:52
Yes i do lol I was member before i started to work for GW and I'm still a member now

Charax
23-09-2009, 07:59
there are LOADS of GW employees on the forum (Adam Troke is one, for example), and even more who read it.

Finn
23-09-2009, 08:13
A lot of Canis Wolfborn's (rumored) stats and special rules were taken from the Heresy Era ruleset written by some fans - Skeld the Wolfrider, or whatever his name is. The only difference being Skeld has profile scores like all the other captains in the ruleset (WS6, Eternal Warrior, W4, that I can think of off the top of my head).

Given that those rules have been out for longer than the SW rumors, I'm going to go ahead and say that somebody, somewhere in GW pays attention to what people on various Warhammer-related forums have to say ;).

As an aside, I actually downloaded that document back in the day from Kazaa. It was something like 64 pages long in Word...wonder if it's still floating around somewhere.

Emperors Teeth
23-09-2009, 08:14
I used to work in a store, and I visited and posted frequently. In fact there was a huge ruckus about another member of staffs actions regarding a gamer from my place and we defended him. It got quite messy and head office got cross with us ;). Good times.

t-tauri
23-09-2009, 08:26
Moved to other GW.

blongbling
23-09-2009, 08:30
some do and some dont, Warseer is reknowned for its negativity and that means a lot of GW staff don't read it.

However there are always those that do read the boards and dont post, aren't there Goodwin :D

zedeyejoe
23-09-2009, 09:35
some do and some dont, Warseer is reknowned for its negativity

Wow, I hardly see a negative word about GW - certainly compared to other groups I belong to - so I would say this (IMHO) is the place for GW employees to come to, to bask in glory.

grissom2006
23-09-2009, 10:17
They do indeed watch them and sometimes get used as well just to be a sneaky start to rumours.

Templar Ben
23-09-2009, 10:59
They do come on and monitor. That is why if someone misquotes Jervis or perhaps Jervis misspoke (or some other higher up) about an issue it is corrected.

No company reads forums to find their strategic direction. That is why C level people make the big bucks. Instead the company uses forums to see what this segment of their market is thinking. Some companies put a great deal of stock in such opinions and others reject it as the lunatic fringe. You can make your own decisions about where GW would fall on such a continuum.

As to if Red/Blue/Black shirts read them, sure but they don't really matter.

Corrode
23-09-2009, 11:07
some do and some dont, Warseer is reknowned for its negativity and that means a lot of GW staff don't read it.

However there are always those that do read the boards and dont post, aren't there Goodwin :D

Considering how much praise there is for Jes around here I imagine it'd be quite the pick-me-up if he ever felt a little down.

'Everything about GW sucks and the rules are awful and it's too expensive and I hate it and don't know why I keep playing this game... but Jes' sculpts are top-notch, good job mate.'

As stated GavT has a posting account with a sizeable number of posts on it, a few others have done from time to time; I believe the author of the Rynn's World book that's due to be released posted a couple of times in the rumour thread criticising its cover art.

As for whether they should; I think a lot of the members here definitely believe that GW should read and respond to their opinions. Unfortunately a lot of the people who think the company should pay attention to what they think actually think very little about what they say, so how much use GW would get out of it is debatable. (Note that people like zedeyejoe and whoever that investment bloke with the Fox avatar is would be 'people worth listening to', but a great number are 14 year olds who think they've fixed the entire game by giving Space Marines Assault 2 Lascannons as a basic armament for the 'balanced' price of 20 points each).

Condottiere
23-09-2009, 12:55
Gav Thorpe occasionally responds to various posts, but probably more to inform or place in context various subjects.

Wishlisting is epidemic, and probably could be safely ignored.

Tooooon
23-09-2009, 12:57
An employee actually said to me the other day "I shouldn't be saying this, but go check out the SW stats on Warseer, there just crrrrazy good".

So yeah, they definitely read the forums, and some probably post as well. But theres probably some sort of contract they signed when first getting the job which restricts them from saying certain information, especially on blogs and public forums.

Heck, I have a part time job at ASDA and even they have posters around the place warning people not to speak negatively of it on blogs or the like.

squilverine
23-09-2009, 13:38
Heck, I have a part time job at ASDA and even they have posters around the place warning people not to speak negatively of it on blogs or the like.

I hate it when companies do this, it is an enfringement of free speech. As far as i am concerned you should be able to express your opinions of an employer freely as long as nobodies personal security is compromised and anything which is said/posted is true.

If employers are so concerned about what their employees say then they should spend more time keeping them happy and less time trying to gag them.

I know of a couple of GW employee's who are lurkers but not posters on here. The concensus I get from them is that there is far too much whinging going on. I have heard them voice the opinion "If people dont like a product dont buy it, there are other similar products out there and it's not like any of this stuff is essential for day to day life".

OLIVERASO
23-09-2009, 13:46
Warseer is reknowned for its negativity

:confused:
I think it's why Warseer is called "GW ministry of love" on other forums :D

TheBigBadWolf
23-09-2009, 14:00
It was a GW employee that recomended I go look at Portent to see the new SM pics a while back.

My gf was speaking to someone that works in a GW store and was saying that that I like WH40k and that I was on warseer, and he was like Warseer wasnt for the true fans in a smug way :rolleyes:

Galdur Hrafnsson
23-09-2009, 14:04
Used to be a staff member, a part/key timer, used to get my info from here (because not being a full timer or manager, I would find out sweet F.A. in advance), was told right from the outset that I shouldn't be posting on sites like warseer, especially not as a staff member. So I tried not to mention it, and only posted in the mp&t section.

Brother Loki
23-09-2009, 14:10
A lot of Canis Wolfborn's (rumored) stats and special rules were taken from the Heresy Era ruleset written by some fans - Skeld the Wolfrider, or whatever his name is. The only difference being Skeld has profile scores like all the other captains in the ruleset (WS6, Eternal Warrior, W4, that I can think of off the top of my head).

Given that those rules have been out for longer than the SW rumors, I'm going to go ahead and say that somebody, somewhere in GW pays attention to what people on various Warhammer-related forums have to say ;).

As an aside, I actually downloaded that document back in the day from Kazaa. It was something like 64 pages long in Word...wonder if it's still floating around somewhere.

I think you may be getting mixed up here. It's the Tempus Fugitives' campaign pack for the Heresy campaign weekends at Warhammer World (available to download from http://www.tempusfugitives.co.uk/). The packs are written by Stuart Mackaness, who is a GW store manager (at Thurrock Lakeside i believe), and is pretty good mates with a fair few of the studio bods. I think he's an internal playtester as well, or at least has access to pre-release and development versions of the codexes, as a previous pack he wrote previewed some elements of the new ork and marine books before they came out etc.

I think Skeld is derived from an early version of Canis Wolfborn, not the other way around. That said, the studio do seem to pay attention to what goes on at the campaign weekends - the release of the Forgeworld chaplain dreadnought is largely down to it having been an available unit in one of the previous campaign packs for example.

Back on topic, a fair few staff are on here, but tend to be circumspect about either revealing their identity (those that post anonymously) or about the contents of their posts (those who are better known such as GavT).

zedeyejoe
23-09-2009, 14:15
I hate it when companies do this, it is an enfringement of free speech. As far as i am concerned you should be able to express your opinions of an employer freely as long as nobodies personal security is compromised and anything which is said/posted is true.

If employers are so concerned about what their employees say then they should spend more time keeping them happy and less time trying to gag them.

There is a simpler way, fire them. And I think thats perfectly legal, most contracts should have a clause about not bringing the company into disrepute.

Then the, now ex-employee, has the perfect right to say what they like bearing in mind the law of libel. IMHO free speech has its limits and if you don't want to work for a business any more, then feel free to speak your mind.

scarletsquig
23-09-2009, 14:23
Jes Goodwin showed off his eldar jetbike prototype at Games Day one year due to warseer rumours irritating him. Result! :)

DarthSte
23-09-2009, 14:23
There is a simpler way, fire them. And I think thats perfectly legal, most contracts should have a clause about not bringing the company into disrepute.

That was the phrase that I was thinking of...!

TreManor
23-09-2009, 14:29
Yes, they do.

Condottiere
23-09-2009, 14:51
If you happen to work for GW or it's sister companies, try to stay anonymous, phrase your posts in a non-critical way and don't let slip confidential information, especially stuff that can be narrowed down and traced back to you.

squilverine
23-09-2009, 15:31

Then the, now ex-employee, has the perfect right to say what they like bearing in mind the law of libel. IMHO free speech has its limits and if you don't want to work for a business any more, then feel free to speak your mind.

There is a huge difference between bringing a company into disrepute and having a whine about a bad day or a rude customer.

I have been on both sides of this as both a shop floor monkey and a manager. Sometimes both side over-react, many of these policies are brought in to cover extreme cases where an employee is accusing the company of something illegal, unfortuanatlty over zealous management types will use this as a means of dismissing a member of staff they take a dislike to.
The chances of this backfiring a incredibly small as most people will not take a dismissal to tribunal for a minimum wage job, the managers are backed by the company 99% of the time and the company will fall back on it's contract.

Do Asda or other leading retailer really think their empire will come crashing down around them because someone calls the MD a knob on Facebook?

Tooooon
23-09-2009, 15:41
Thing is though, its extremely hard for a company to prove that it is actually you posting the negative things.

Heck, I could make an account with the name of someone from my workplace I didn't like, bad mouth my company a crapload and then when they find out watch them lay the blame on him, while someone could do the exact same to me.

Emperor's Grace
23-09-2009, 15:49
Of course they do. And for the most part, they won't identify themselves (for good reason).

Thing is though, its extremely hard for a company to prove that it is actually you posting the negative things.

Heck, I could make an account with the name of someone from my workplace I didn't like, bad mouth my company a crapload and then when they find out watch them lay the blame on him, while someone could do the exact same to me.

Mind you, the security statement for my company addresses this directly.

The employee is responsible for maintaining the privacy of their password.

If someone else has your password to post things, then it's your fault too as far as they're concerned...

Your speech may be free. But if you're putting yourself forward as an employee of the company, you're speaking for the company (which is usually not authorized).

Also, speaking your mind in any public place can bring on all sorts of problems. Just because you are free to say something, doesn't mean there won't be consequences. If I get up on a soapbox and state that my rep in Congress is a no-gooder, I'm free to say it - but I can't expect him to back my run for senate.

I remember an anecdote about a programmer just starting with a major software company that basically FB'd about whether they should accept the job offer "just for the (major) salary" as they thought the companies games were crap and that they'd hate working there. The guy was surprised when the HR folks gave him a call telling him that they decided to ease his mind about working at a place he hates... turned out that the guy that did the interviews checked the prospectives out online.

Reinholt
23-09-2009, 15:55
Wow, I hardly see a negative word about GW - certainly compared to other groups I belong to - so I would say this (IMHO) is the place for GW employees to come to, to bask in glory.

Agreed. Warseer, overall, is relatively friendly compared to how GW is treated and regarded in other places. If Warseer is perceived as overly negative about GW, and it is the most friendly of the forums, then I would suggest there is a reality problem at GW HQ.

First and foremost, in the US, this is not infringing upon free speech. The first amendment contains the language "Congress shall make no law..." right at the beginning of the text. In short, the issue is that the government cannot restrict your right to free speech about any number of issues in any number of contexts.

The first amendment says nothing about private contracts entered into between private parties.

The rest ultimately comes down to personal opinion on how companies should be run, but given how important brand is to most companies, I can see why they work so hard to protect it.

Famous last words. It's extremely easy, if someone is willing to spend a little on legal costs.

squilverine
23-09-2009, 15:55
Mind you, the security statement for my company addresses this directly.

The employee is responsible for maintaining the privacy of their password.

If someone else has your password to post things, then it's your fault too as far as they're concerned...

I think what Tooooon was saying is that there is nothing stopping any of us setting up email accounts and other such things with someone elses name.

I know someone who got revenge on a guy who bullied him at school by setting up a fake email and facebook account and announcing to the world that he was gay

Emperor's Grace
23-09-2009, 16:07
I think what Tooooon was saying is that there is nothing stopping any of us setting up email accounts and other such things with someone elses name.

I know someone who got revenge on a guy who bullied him at school by setting up a fake email and facebook account and announcing to the world that he was gay

Nothing except the law and company contracts/policy. Defamation, libel, misuse of company equipment, time theft, etc...

I believe that there is a case similar to this involving cheerleaders (in TX?) that's wending it's way through the courts now...

Please also note Reinholt's comments regarding private contracts above. "At Will" employment probably figures in there as well but I'll defer as my training is in science, not law.

Corrode
23-09-2009, 16:08
There is a huge difference between bringing a company into disrepute and having a whine about a bad day or a rude customer.

I have been on both sides of this as both a shop floor monkey and a manager. Sometimes both side over-react, many of these policies are brought in to cover extreme cases where an employee is accusing the company of something illegal, unfortuanatlty over zealous management types will use this as a means of dismissing a member of staff they take a dislike to.
The chances of this backfiring a incredibly small as most people will not take a dismissal to tribunal for a minimum wage job, the managers are backed by the company 99% of the time and the company will fall back on it's contract.

Do Asda or other leading retailer really think their empire will come crashing down around them because someone calls the MD a knob on Facebook?

If you're stupid enough to post something on the Internet disparaging your employer, you deserve whatever you get. There's a simple rule to remember - as soon as you click post it's out there forever. There's a reason that 4chan is anonymous.

Agreed. Warseer, overall, is relatively friendly compared to how GW is treated and regarded in other places. If Warseer is perceived as overly negative about GW, and it is the most friendly of the forums, then I would suggest there is a reality problem at GW HQ.

'Relatively' doesn't mean anything, though. Sure, there's few posters here who act like some of the chaps on DakkaDakka who seem to have made it their life's work to slag off GW at every turn (or Frothers Unite, where I believe GW are habitually known as the Evil Empire), but there's still a great degree of small-mindedness here which manifests itself as attacks on the company, children telling the world how much they 'hate' X or Y, and a near-constant stream of people talking about assaulting others over a game of small plastic toys. Forums generally aren't worth the time it takes to read them except to get a general idea of how the great unwashed feels about your product.

Emperor's Grace
23-09-2009, 16:18
... a near-constant stream of people talking about assaulting others over a game of small plastic toys.

Don't forget bragging about their physical size/prowess and girlfriends. :D

Forums generally aren't worth the time it takes to read them except to get a general idea of how the great unwashed feels about your product.

I'd disagree, I think they'd learn a lot if they figure out which posters to follow and ignore the rest.

Templar Ben
23-09-2009, 18:10
It doesn't take too long to do so.

Mannimarco
23-09-2009, 22:48
i can name at leat 3 staffers (general shop workers) who are members here so yeah they are here

do any of the higher ups come on here and see "hey fan X wants options x y and z for his new codex, theyre good rules so lets get them in there" probably not

grissom2006
23-09-2009, 23:14
do any of the higher ups come on here and see "hey fan X wants options x y and z for his new codex, theyre good rules so lets get them in there" probably not

Well their craftier than that they post a rule as a we play X like so what do you guys think and see how the feed back turns out. I've seen stuff on here that was so called fan based rulings in the Codices and the WFB Army books. Saw quiite a lot of it in the last Dark Elf book.

starlight
23-09-2009, 23:22
I can name over two dozen...but I won't...that's for them to do... :p

Yes, many GW staffers read these boards, including some senior managers/etc. How we are collectively viewed depends on the person and their encounters. Many GW people see all forum members as whiny time-wasters who need a good smack, whereas others see some people as useful contributors to gaming and the hobby aspects.

Basically if you act like a jerk and insult them and their co-workers, they won't be listening, but if you stick to the hobby and gaming stuff they're usually pretty cool people. :)

Mannimarco
23-09-2009, 23:45
ah starlight.......spoken like a true company man

starlight
23-09-2009, 23:49
...just not that company. :p

Putty
24-09-2009, 00:37
...Yes, many GW staffers read these boards, including some senior managers/etc. How we are collectively viewed depends on the person and their encounters. Many GW people see all forum members as whiny time-wasters who need a good smack, whereas others see some people as useful contributors to gaming and the hobby aspects.

Basically if you act like a jerk and insult them and their co-workers, they won't be listening, but if you stick to the hobby and gaming stuff they're usually pretty cool people. :)

Gives me more reason to post what I really feel about certain things they do.

To be fair to them, the stuff they have been churning out the past 1.5 years is quite stellar. For the good of the company and staff, I hope they continue their good run and not male chicken it up with a change in heart halfway through.

But some things do need to be addressed (and they probably never will), like the removal of the accessories sprue from the new IG tanks, why some higher up proclaim the price of plastic models will be eventually matched to metal ones and are Kolek Suneater and the Warshrine experimental units in the WoC book that have a high chance of being excluded in the future book because they still do not have official models from GW?

But then again, I'm a lowly peasant who keeps using the alms I've gathered to pay for the models and books that have a usability lifespan shorter than my desk lamp.

:p

megatrons2nd
24-09-2009, 00:43
So no kidnapping people with special powers, tagging and logging them?

Galdur Hrafnsson
24-09-2009, 02:53
Shhhhhhh... we don't talk about that part out loud.

Tarax
24-09-2009, 07:15
I always doubted 'Gav T' was the real Gavin Thorpe. As someone said, anyone can open an account on one of the many forums under any name.

Disclaimer: 'Gav T' could still be the one.

The reason I doubt any staff (other than production or shop) would be with their real name on forums, is that they would attract a lot of flame.

If GW has a non-disclosure article in their contracts, it has probably more to do with their releases than with always being positive about the company.

Chaos and Evil
24-09-2009, 08:30
GavT was the real GavT.

Corrode
24-09-2009, 09:15
I always doubted 'Gav T' was the real Gavin Thorpe. As someone said, anyone can open an account on one of the many forums under any name.

The reason I doubt any staff (other than production or shop) would be with their real name on forums, is that they would attract a lot of flame.

If GW has a non-disclosure article in their contracts, it has probably more to do with their releases than with always being positive about the company.

I'm pretty sure GavT was admin-confirmed to be the real GavT.

snurl
24-09-2009, 09:35
GavT was the real GavT.

Still is too, unless he has been banned. :wtf:

RobC
24-09-2009, 10:33
GavT's custom title (and non-Guilder status) is a rather glaring hint that he might be, you know, the real thing.

Chaos and Evil
24-09-2009, 11:20
Hello GavT, just in case you're reading!

Recovered from the Chaos crisis yet? :-)

Verm1s
24-09-2009, 12:19
Sure, there's few posters here who act like some of the chaps on DakkaDakka who seem to have made it their life's work to slag off GW at every turn (or Frothers Unite, where I believe GW are habitually known as the Evil Empire), but there's still a great degree of small-mindedness here...

Which of course is a proper way to describe any TT gamer that isn't a true, right-thinking and acquiescent GW fan.

Killgore
24-09-2009, 12:38
I had a discussion with a staffer at a GW store yesterday that included what staff thought of forums such as Warseer, this peticular staffer had no real interest in forums and mentioned that many others are put off by the amount of panic and fear mongering that occurs, an example of which included certain powers in the new Space Wolves codex and the outrage that many posters express lol.

I think they dont apresciate rabid warseer members ranting and raving in their GW stores based on what they read on a forum by some faceless person who claims to be a GW gaming 'pro' from half way across the world.

Bookwrak
24-09-2009, 16:46
Well, Warseer has a completely abysmal signal/noise ratio, but that's really just a factor of it being as big as it is. Any forum this size is going to have the problem of a whole lot of crap cluttering up what's worth reading, just because there are so many people posting.

You're being very silly. Any claim of identity should be confirmed on evidence, of which GavT has an irrefutable amount.

Corrode
24-09-2009, 19:43
Which of course is a proper way to describe any TT gamer that isn't a true, right-thinking and acquiescent GW fan.

You're being an idiot. Don't be an idiot.

Art Is Resistance
24-09-2009, 19:57
i

And you would be quite, quite wrong.... ;)

Meriwether
24-09-2009, 20:21
...just not that company. :p

Right. Starlight works for the "Brain Reclaimation Devision" of "Zombies, Inc." Productivity is low, as is morale -- the employees act like they're dead.

And you would be quite, quite wrong.... ;)

Stuff I posted on here (and elsewhere) got me in contact with some GW people I used to know, and some of my ideas were used in 5th edition, others in Apocalypse and Planetstrike (although in altered form). So yeah, some people with at least some level of decision-making ability pay at least some attention to some of this some of the time.

Meri

fubukii
25-09-2009, 06:11
What did you do at GW?

i was a assistant manager at a store :)

Tarax
25-09-2009, 07:26
I'm pretty sure GavT was admin-confirmed to be the real GavT.

GavT's custom title (and non-Guilder status) is a rather glaring hint that he might be, you know, the real thing.

You're being very silly. Any claim of identity should be confirmed on evidence, of which GavT has an irrefutable amount.

Guess I was all wrong with putting a disclaimer on my comment. :rolleyes: :angel:

I only encountered GavT on a couple of threads and never behaved otherwise than from other posters, ie I regarded him is anybody else.

I guess what I was saying was that there are people who would pose as one of their heroes (or enemies).

Charax
25-09-2009, 14:38
In case anyone needed proof that GW employees read this forum, for months you've been able to navigate to www.forgeworld.co.uk/pdf/ and get a directory listing of all Forgeworld's downloadable files - and some distinctly non-FW ones. I posted about that (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3981227&postcount=66) today and, lo and behold, whoever maintains the Forgeworld website picked up their dusty copy of "Beginner's guide to .htaccess" and shut off (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/pdf/) that nifty little feature.

So yes, I would say that employees read the forum. they need to know how to kill our fun somehow, after all. :D

EDIT: They evidently haven't taken down the Star Wars web supplement (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/pdf/UAA_WE_Meerian_Tchuukthai.pdf) though

Jagged
25-09-2009, 15:53
EDIT: They evidently haven't taken down the Star Wars web supplement (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/pdf/UAA_WE_Meerian_Tchuukthai.pdf) though

They have now. Proving your point again :D

Charax
25-09-2009, 16:51
It's a funny kind of day when the removal of all proof in itself proves my point :)

Mike3791
25-09-2009, 17:06
4-5 years ago GW had their own forums. I still remember the day they shut them down..not sure why though

x-esiv-4c
25-09-2009, 17:27
Awesome stuff Charax :D

simonr1978
25-09-2009, 17:58
4-5 years ago GW had their own forums. I still remember the day they shut them down..not sure why though

IIRC they were shut down because they were basically pointless and places such as Warseer did whatever the GW forums could do much, much better. The forum rules and attitudes from above made any kind of real discussion all but impossible as only positive comments and threads went unmoderated and no mention of anything outside of GW was tolerated, at the point I stopped paying any attention to them that more or less restricted the allowable threads to numerous, tedious and repetitive "Rate my -Insert flavour of the month here- Army list" threads.

I can understand why GW didn't want negative bitching on their own site, hardly makes for good advertising if your own forums contain whining about your products and I guess that it just didn't seem worth it upgrading the dated forum software or trying to come up with some kind of policies that would have allowed any kind of meaningful conversation so the forums were, quite suddenly by all accounts scrapped.

IIRC it was around the time of the Giant issues of White Dwarf, I guess that the negativity around that may have been a tipping point regarding the fate of the official forums.

scarletsquig
25-09-2009, 18:05
Not so sure I agree on the negativity being too much to handle for them.. Rackham manages to keep their forum in check and their fans are a lot more "foamy" than the worst examples of GW's lot.

I think the forum was removed due to the layout being hard to navigate, and the organization and pretty much everything about it being really badly run. Putting it out of it's misery was a good idea.

simonr1978
25-09-2009, 18:46
Not so sure I agree on the negativity being too much to handle for them

To be fair, they could have dealt with it, come up with rules or policies that allowed constructive criticism without opening the floodgates, but as with fixing everything else killing the forums was by far the easier option.

I think the forum was removed due to the layout being hard to navigate, and the organization and pretty much everything about it being really badly run.

Agreed, they were a good example of how not to do an internet forum. As with the above though, I wonder whether part of the thought process at least was if it was worth fixing all or any of these considering the posts that they were likely to allow. Probably not otherwise they wouldn't have axed them.

Putting it out of it's misery was a good idea.

Definitely and probably overdue.

Charax
25-09-2009, 18:57
If it was an organisation thing, they could have restructured it at the same time they split off the SG forums, so I doubt it was that. There was a fair amount of negativity on them too, so I don't think GW had a big problem with that, ir was probably the constant discussion of GW business practices and tons of pointless threads that made GW think it wasn't worth saving but the SG forums were

Chaos and Evil
25-09-2009, 21:01
The SG forums were (and are) a *lot* more mature however.

Charax
26-09-2009, 06:24
must be something about 40K players, I guess :D

smicha6551
26-09-2009, 21:45
I don't blame GW for pulling down their forum. To protect themselves they would need to pay a full time employee (or more) to moderate it (if it was active like this one) and you can't expect a company to have a forum for themselves to be bashed.

As a gamer, I really hope GW senior staff reads the forums or has someone that does for them. As a shareholder I belive the use is limited - I'm sure they have better ways of determining what they should (re)make or come out with.

Dexter099
05-10-2009, 00:58
They read this a lot, especially this part of the forum. They are probably reading your thread now.

My store manager got in trouble after I posted on these threads in a vague way that made it sound like he had leaked precious rumors to me, when he hadn't told me anything. I had simply told him that I knew about the new so and so and what they were going to be like, not the other way around.

He didn't get fired, but he got a slight reprimanding. Nothing serious, though.

Condottiere
05-10-2009, 07:13
It's not too difficult to run your posts through filtering software, which will pull out identifying information, if not on your identity specifically, at least on your approximate location, especially if you start mentioning stuff around your neighbourhood.

Art Is Resistance
05-10-2009, 10:42
It's not too difficult to run your posts through filtering software, which will pull out identifying information, if not on your identity specifically, at least on your approximate location, especially if you start mentioning stuff around your neighbourhood.

Which is why I keep my mouth firmly shut about a lot of things really - I like the rapport I have with the staffers - I won't harm that by 'leaking' rumours here or anywhere else - I like the fact that I know stuff others don't and I'd lke to keep it that way! :p

DartzIRL
05-10-2009, 20:38
Read through the topic...

Can't help but feel for any of the big staffers popping in here.... Facing the full horror of the internet. Must be like standing in front of the naked warp itself... eyes welded open.