PDA

View Full Version : WOC Tacticts discussion

Minion
23-09-2009, 14:48
Im planning on bringing back my Warriors out of the closet and having played a bare minimum of battles with the new Army book since November i was just wondering what kind of tactics/combos people around here tend to use.I have found so far;
35 warriors
5 marauder horsemen
5 old knights
1 chariot
3 dragon ogres+3 ogres
1 giant
1 warshrine
2 sorcerors on foot+2 mounted(one on a steed of slaanesh,one on disc)
1 Sorceror Lord
1 Chaos Lord
1 Daemon Prince
10 Hounds

Any ideas on what could i do with these above???I used to play alot with Hordes of Chaos but I can no longer use any daemon or beast parts that i have:rolleyes:

Im willing to discuss any opinion and share any knowledge I have acquired.

Thanks in advance,
Minion

Unuhexium
23-09-2009, 15:06
For now you can divide the warriors into units of 12 (or as close as possible) and give them halberds and shields. It's currently the optimal formation and loadout. Three units of warriors isn't the best option for core since they eat tons of points from the rest of your army, but they're fun. I run 36 warriors as core and I've had mixed success.

Marauder horsemen are good at flanking, baiting and marchblocking. For that purpose you'll want to give them flails or throwing axes.

Knights + hounds are good for driving a big nasty coffin nail through the heart of the opposing army. The knights work well with MoK if you use the hounds to guide the knights by blocking any unit that can bait the knights.

Giants work well with MoS for some ASF goodness.

A Sorcerer Lord on Disc is currently the most effective general point by point, but a Lord on Juggernaut isn't bad either.

E-Dog
23-09-2009, 16:01
Giants work well with MoS for some ASF goodness.

I agree:evilgrin:

I like mark of khorne on my mounted mauraders, w/ flails, I run 6 tho' for 12 strength 5 attacks on the charge plus 12 from the mounts. It will not break most units but usually leaves a nice dent, or holds them up for a turn or two.

Drachen_Jager
23-09-2009, 17:47
35 warriors --- Too many for one unit, most people who use warriors prefer MSU.
5 marauder horsemen --- Good unit. Some people like Flails with MoS or MoK, throwing axes are popular too.
5 old knights --- Good unit, I'd suggest getting more, you probably want to bump this one up to 6, Khorne and Nurgle are the most popular marks.
1 chariot --- Some people like 'em
3 dragon ogres+3 ogres --- Some people like 'em
1 giant --- Some people like 'em
1 warshrine --- Take the favour on a hero and put him in the unit you want to buff, then you can adjust rolls for the unit.
2 sorcerors on foot+2 mounted(one on a steed of slaanesh,one on disc)
1 Sorceror Lord --- Good stuff, mount him on a disc.
1 Chaos Lord --- OK, a bit pricey compared to a hero but with some of the expensive weapons he can be a beast.
1 Daemon Prince --- Get a nice display case for him, unless you're planning to proxy him for something else it's not generally worth it to take him.
10 Hounds --- Get more, these are super useful.

Minion
23-09-2009, 20:15
ok thanks guys for your help so far

Dexter099
24-09-2009, 01:14
35 warriors- split them up into units of 12, 15, or 18.
5 marauder horsemen- good with a throwing weapon and a shield or light armor-not both. Flails if you like.
5 old knights- get another two boxes, make units of 7, the 15th one should be a lord. 5 guys won't win combat on their own. As for the lord, I generally take him and a BSB with the Stubborn banner for a dense leadership bubble.
1 chariot-best in pairs.
3 dragon ogres+3 ogres- are great for their speed in a WoC army.
1 giant- good.
1 warshrine- good.
2 sorcerors on foot+2 mounted(one on a steed of slaanesh,one on disc) I don't like Slaanesh sorcs much, but they are fine. I generally go scroll caddy though, due to the high cost of chaos sorcerors.
1 Sorceror Lord- They are good if you go magic heavy.
1 Chaos Lord- on foot? If so, he's not worth it, you want one on horse for the +2 save.
1 Daemon Prince- only good for high-point games.
10 Hounds- units of 5.

Ben_Archaon
25-09-2009, 05:59
Normally I base my army around an 1-2 anvil units, 1-2 hammer units, 2-6 flankers and 4-6 lvls of magic. I would split your 35 CW’s in two units of approx 18. Give the shields, MoT and command (and halberds if you can find the points). This will give you two decent anvil units (2+ arm and 6+ ward save in combat). Use these to anchor the centre of the battle field. For the hammer units maybe try 3 dragon ogres and team them with a chariot with MoK. The brute strength of the DO’s and impact hits from the chariot should deal with most units that the opponent can throw at you. Bulk out your army with warhounds and marauder horsemen (throwing axe and shield with MoS or fails LA and MoK) place these on the flanks and wreak havoc.

As for characters definitely take a lvl 4 Tzeentch sorcerer lord on disc with Rending Sword, Golden Eye of Tzeentch and Bloodcurdling Roar. This means you have a 3+ arm and 3+ ward save flyer, basically making your lord impossible to kill. Rending Sword works on all wound rolls cause by the character (including spells and BR;)). BR mightn’t sound great but 2d6 str 1 hits with no arm save is brilliant against heavy cav. You will wound most of 6’s but the RS nearly doubles your chances of wounding the cav, and you only have to kill a few to make worth the points cost.

If you have the points a unit of knights on a flank would be quite a headache to your opponent and the warshine could be used to help bolster your anvil units’ staying power. Seeing as you have a lot of sorcerers you might want to think of just dominating the magic phase. Banner of Wrath, Rod of Torment, Infernal Puppet and Skull of Katam would all be good item choices in this case.

Lastly a good deal of luck never goes astray either…

(this is quite a length for a post but I was on a roll and I hope it helps)

zerachiel
25-09-2009, 06:25
5 old knights- get another two boxes, make units of 7, the 15th one should be a lord. 5 guys won't win combat on their own.

Actually, 5 Knights of Khorne generally wins combat on their own (or any Mark with the Banner of Rage). 15 S5 attacks plus 10 S4 attacks generally will win you combat. As you usually hit on 3+ with your Knights, and would on 2-3+, so you'll average 6-8 wounds with your Knights, and 2-3 wounds with your Horses. That's usually enough to brutalize any unit not made of pure steel or ASF silliness.

As to the inherent dangers of Frenzy, the man already has Warhounds.

7-wide units of Knights are generally rather unwieldy, and not all 7 will fight if you flank (which is what most people would use them for). I'd go with 6 if you really feel the need to beef them out.

Minion
25-09-2009, 11:17
thanks guys,specially Ben_Archaon with this much enlightening post.

jeuna
25-09-2009, 12:52
is this rending sword/bloodcurdling roar combo legal ?
The reding sword sais you can reroll failed rols to wound
but I imagine they meant failed rolls to wound with the
sword ?
Are there rules to back this up ? If so im gonna try it
in my next game :D

edit : reding sword flickering fire/infernal gateway seems
even better

kramplarv
25-09-2009, 12:56
For now you can divide the warriors into units of 12 (or as close as possible) and give them halberds and shields. It's currently the optimal formation and loadout. .

Of course not is this the optimal formation or loudout. It's alla matter of what you want the units to do. I want mine to survive the entire battle and not giving away their VP.

So I use two large blocks, 15-20 with not a single halberd in sight. Så there is no optimal loudout.

edit: At the discussion about rending sword;
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221898

no, the rending sword does NOT grant re-rolls to wound on spells or bloodcurling roar. (unless you of course want ALL hits in the entire battle wounds when playing against the HE army with sword of hoeth...)

Ben_Archaon
25-09-2009, 14:42
i don't know how the sword of hoeth is worded but the rending sword rule states "a character with the rending sword may re-roll failed 'to wound' rolls". no mention of any restriction to only wounds caused by the rending sword.

zerachiel
25-09-2009, 20:20
i don't know how the sword of hoeth is worded but the rending sword rule states "a character with the rending sword may re-roll failed 'to wound' rolls". no mention of any restriction to only wounds caused by the rending sword.

BoLS was having a riot over this, as one of the articles discussed the Rending Sword trick, which the High Elves players immediately countered with Sword of Hoeth, which just reads "All hits wound automatically. Armour saves are modified by the Strength of the bearer" (p.99 High Elves).

Rending Sword does have the precedence of Father of Blades from the same book, which can even deflect shooting hits of 1 back onto the shooters, so I'd say go for it, but prepare to have the less mature opponents cry exploit...