PDA

View Full Version : A stupid question...

o0-NattyMcFatty-0o
23-09-2009, 18:29
If two characters both have the stupidity special rule and they both join the same unit, do you take two stupidity tests or just one?

Nurgling Chieftain
23-09-2009, 18:30
It's just one test for the unit, no matter how many stupid models are in it. Can you imagine a unit of cold one knights having to each test? That would be terrible...

Atrahasis
23-09-2009, 18:33
Strictly by the rules, 1 test per character.

N810
23-09-2009, 18:59
one test per stupid unit...
unless something like Plaque of Dominion is making all characters within x"
Roll a D6 to see if they are stupid or something..

Atrahasis
23-09-2009, 19:31
One test per stupid character. If the unit is stupid, the unit takes a test. If a stupid character is in a unit, the character takes a test. Each character.

lcfr
23-09-2009, 19:46
What about a Stupid character in a Stupid unit? Still one test, right? ex. Master riding a Cold One in a unit of Cold One Knights

N810
23-09-2009, 20:04
Atrahasis where are you reading this ???
I just looked theogh a bunch of FAQ's
and couldn't find an answer either way.

But I have never seen anyone taking
multiple test on one unit before...

nosferatu1001
23-09-2009, 20:22
N810: from p78

If a character subject to stupidity fails this test while....

It states "a" character, meaning you cannot determine if a character has failed unless all characters have tested.

I've don't this succesfully a few times no - tzeentch heralds in Horror blocks being affected by Plaque of Dominion as an example.

Nurgling Chieftain
23-09-2009, 21:33
It states "a" character, meaning you cannot determine if a character has failed unless all characters have tested.That quote does not strictly contradict the one-test per unit rule in the standard rules for stupidity, so unless you've got something better, I hold that the normal rules stand.

Kroxigore
23-09-2009, 22:25
The normal rule is, that only if a character fails his test, they pass the stupidity to the unit. As the unit is not stupid in the first place, the one-test per unit rule doesn't apply here (it is not the unit that makes the test, it is the character).

Adran
24-09-2009, 07:51
Units don't pass their stupidity along to characters. As a non stupid mage in an acting stupid unit can still cast.
So, I guess all characters must test as well as the unit (assuming that the character(s) and the units are subject to stupidity).

So I guess the Dark elves would have to take two tests(one for each) for the master on a cold one in a unit of cold ones. But I'd never thought of this before, and have never seen anyone do it.

T10
24-09-2009, 08:04
Strictly by the rules, 1 test per character.

How so?

Edit: Ah.

One test per stupid character. If the unit is stupid, the unit takes a test. If a stupid character is in a unit, the character takes a test. Each character.

This would mean that you could have any number (n) of stupid characters in a stupid unit and take a single test. But put those same characters in a non-stupid unit and you'd be making one test per character (n tests). That doesn't make much sense, so it is perhaps fortunate that the "one test per character" is based on the assumption that in order for an individual character to have passed or failed his test, that test must have been made specifically for that character.

I submit that you make a single test for the entire unit (including all characters). since the unit will be testing against a single leadership value then all models in the unit that are subject to stupidity will either have passed or failed the test.

So if three wizards, two of which are subject to stupidity, join a unit that is not subject to stupidity, then they take a single test. If the test is failed then neither of the two stupid wizards can cast spells (both failed their test) and the unit stumbles forward. The last wizard can cast spells normally.

-T10

Atrahasis
24-09-2009, 08:06
The rules for stupidity and characters say that if a non-stupid character is in a stupid unit, they take a test and the character is bound by the movement of the unit, but can still function normally otherwise.
They go on to say that if a stupid character is in a non-stupid unit, the character must test. If 2 stupid characters join a non-stupid unit, then taking only one test means that one character has not satisfied the rule that he must test while in a non-stupid unit.

Milgram
24-09-2009, 09:23
and also you would disallow the second character the chance to pass the test and therefore be able to cast.

Eternus
24-09-2009, 09:42
You know, given how crazy things have got in the real world lately, I'm suprised no one has complained about the use of the term 'Stupid', claiming that it is not politically correct!

N810
24-09-2009, 14:04
My momma allways said
"Stupid as stupid does"

-foresst gump

T10
24-09-2009, 14:14
If 2 stupid characters join a non-stupid unit, then taking only one test means that one character has not satisfied the rule that he must test while in a non-stupid unit.
Well, taking a single test for all stupid characters in the unit works fine and doesn't produce weird results while testing for each character does.

Well, I for one consider this weird: making one single test for 4 stupid characters in a stupid unit, but 4 test for the same characters in a non-stupid unit.

narrativium
24-09-2009, 15:14
If you have two stupid wizards in a unit, they'd both have to test to confirm they can cast their spells. They'd have to test separately if they were in two different units, why would they test only once if they were in the same unit? Does being in the same formation as another potentially stupid person make one of them smarter?

T10
24-09-2009, 15:23
why would they test only once if they were in the same unit?

Why would they make the test together if the unit they are in is subject to stupidity, and then test separately if the unit is not?

-T10

Atrahasis
24-09-2009, 15:50
All you've shown is that odd things happen in both cases. However, one of them follows the rules.

narrativium
24-09-2009, 15:51
T10: That's what I'm asking, of the people who disagree with Atrahasis. I'm agreeing with Atrahasis, they should both test.

N810
24-09-2009, 15:52
If you have two stupid wizards in a unit, they'd both have to test to confirm they can cast their spells. They'd have to test separately if they were in two different units, why would they test only once if they were in the same unit? Does being in the same formation as another potentially stupid person make one of them smarter?

on the same note,
does adding one more stupid individual to a large group of
stupid people make them twice as stupid ?

PARTYCHICORITA
24-09-2009, 15:58
on the same note,
does adding one more stupid individual to a large group of
stupid people make them twice as stupid ?

actully i'm pretty sure it does, even more so if the stupid individual is leading them.
But i don't think we are talking about warhammer anymore.

Grimgormx
24-09-2009, 16:09
Dont you have to do stupid test using the higer LD in a unit?

So you should do only 1 test, whit the higest LD character.

PeG
24-09-2009, 16:24
I agree that both of them should test, if one of them fails he will pass stupiidyt on to the unit and if the other one succeeds he follows the rules for a non-stupid character in a stupid unit ie may cast spells.