PDA

View Full Version : So I want to come back to fantasy... need help with a new army

Col_Festus
23-09-2009, 19:17
Hey there guys. So I've been away from fantasy for awhile. I've been having a small itch to start painting some models as well as getting back onto the table top. My first army was vampire counts and playing them quickly got boring (seeing as you ignore half of the rules of the game). I'm looking for an army that has powerful characters that make great center pieces (or great center pieces in general). Something that is fairly tough, fairly good at shooting + offensive magic, but excels in close combat. Ill take any recommendations you guys throw at me and scope them out! Thanks!

undeadgoblin
23-09-2009, 19:40
You would probably like Lizardmen. They have arguably the best magic users in the game, are mostly geared for close combat, with a sprinkling of decent shooting.

Otherwise, Warriors of Chaos fit all of it, except they only have minimal shooting (thrown weapons, 1 artillery unit).

mrtn
23-09-2009, 19:42
Space Marines?

Ehrm, sorry, but I think you'd have to strike at least one of your wishes off the list. :)

Warriors of chaos have all of that, except the shooting. There they only have throwing weapons on the horsemen, and the hell cannon. But they fit the rest of the list.

Tarian
23-09-2009, 19:42
HE have mediocre (but still present!) shooting, very good magic, great centerpiece models (Dragons!) and great in CC... just a wee bit lacking in the "Tough" portion.

Col_Festus
23-09-2009, 19:45
They don't necessarily need to be "tough" but hard to kill in combat? The armies I'm currently looking at are Brets, HEs, Dwarves (yes no magic but more shooting to make up for it! tee hehe!). I'm kind of straying away from Lizards simply because I want something humanish. If it helps we have a player at my store that romps around with Daemons, so something that is good against him would be a bonus too.

Tarian
23-09-2009, 19:54
Brets suffer (From what I've seen) against Daemons because they don't break. HE do okay vs. Daemons as ASF helps a lot.

HE get a decent magic gunline going, are fast, and are very hard to beat in CC for most armies. (They either need very good units or to shoot some elves off first usually)

Condottiere
24-09-2009, 05:31
WoC was my first thought as well, but then I thought of High Elves with an Archmage/Book of Hoeth to force through your spells.

Jind_Singh
24-09-2009, 07:36
easy peesy - DARK ELVES!!
you got some great character models that make nice centre peices, your a bitch at shooting, you are amazing in combat, and you got great magic - oh and nice monstor models, lots of conversions - the list goes on.
Like infantary? No worries, make a foot slogging horde.
Like horse? No wiorries - you got 2 types of cav and chariots, and flying units
Like warmahcines? bolt throwers are solid!

Nice paint schemes, you got cool background to read about - the malakieth book was really written well by black libary - and you have one of the top 3 armies of WFB right now - and as your comming back you need an army that is a bit forgiving!

There, and i dont even like dark elves, i play empire, orcs, ogres, deamons - i hate ANY type of elf in existance but I taliored the comments to your pre-reqs

Jind_Singh
24-09-2009, 07:46
in fact reading your post again there is no other army for you:

Empire - has all the things you look for, combat, shooting, magic, but it does not excell in anything, just average. Very tactical army that relies on all the army as a whole to make it work. Great models in here though

Orcs - also have all you ask for, but again not excelling in any one area other than great fun, cool rules, and nice models

Ogres - nasty characters, amazing models, but weak, so weak! they dont have shooting or magic as you would want, but dearie me I love them! Also the cheapest army in the enitre hobby - 2 battalian boxes, a few character blisters and you have 2000pt army, ready to go. Not a bad one either

Deamons - amazing magic, combat - but just 1 shooting unit, and listen - I own a 10,000pt army so I say this from the heart - you will get bored with them, it's not fun to smash people every game you play. But amazing models - no one can boast centre peices like deamons do.

Warriors of Chaos - yah they loook amazing, fight well, hey they got good magic too. But only one (expensive in points AND money) cannon and dudes throwing axes from horseback. But painters/converters love um as the model range is soooo sexy

skaven - mmmm, new book out soon - the old book had shooty stuff, magic was nasty, not really combat dudes but they do gots nice models - and with the new book I am 100% sure there will be even nicer models coming!

lizardmen - mmm, actually this army has it all - shooting/combat/magic/juicy models to collect/paint. They have it too, so darkelves and lizardmen, 2 accpetable choices.

woodelves/high elves - yah they shoot, they magic, and they fight, and they have some (i mean just a few some) really nice centre peices, but they are lame elves - forget it!

Orcs - they can shoot, pretty well actually, they can fight, and they look sexy. but not the strongest choice - unless your a greenskin at heart like me!

other races - I'm too sleepy now to give good critique! its 12.46am here so best be off to bed. Hopefully you gained some food for thought, good luck and welcome back to WFB - the game for true heros!

GuyLeCheval
24-09-2009, 07:49
in fact reading your post again there is no other army for you:

Empire - has all the things you look for, combat, shooting, magic, but it does not excell in anything, just average. Very tactical army that relies on all the army as a whole to make it work. Great models in here though

Orcs - also have all you ask for, but again not excelling in any one area other than great fun, cool rules, and nice models

Ogres - nasty characters, amazing models, but weak, so weak! they dont have shooting or magic as you would want, but dearie me I love them! Also the cheapest army in the enitre hobby - 2 battalian boxes, a few character blisters and you have 2000pt army, ready to go. Not a bad one either

Deamons - amazing magic, combat - but just 1 shooting unit, and listen - I own a 10,000pt army so I say this from the heart - you will get bored with them, it's not fun to smash people every game you play. But amazing models - no one can boast centre peices like deamons do.

Warriors of Chaos - yah they loook amazing, fight well, hey they got good magic too. But only one (expensive in points AND money) cannon and dudes throwing axes from horseback. But painters/converters love um as the model range is soooo sexy

skaven - mmmm, new book out soon - the old book had shooty stuff, magic was nasty, not really combat dudes but they do gots nice models - and with the new book I am 100% sure there will be even nicer models coming!

lizardmen - mmm, actually this army has it all - shooting/combat/magic/juicy models to collect/paint. They have it too, so darkelves and lizardmen, 2 accpetable choices.

woodelves/high elves - yah they shoot, they magic, and they fight, and they have some (i mean just a few some) really nice centre peices, but they are lame elves - forget it!

Orcs - they can shoot, pretty well actually, they can fight, and they look sexy. but not the strongest choice - unless your a greenskin at heart like me!

other races - I'm too sleepy now to give good critique! its 12.46am here so best be off to bed. Hopefully you gained some food for thought, good luck and welcome back to WFB - the game for true heros!

Ah, that's why you stated Orcs twice ;)

EndlessBug
24-09-2009, 08:05
Of the 3 you stated, I'd suggest HEs. Dwarves are a good easy starter army but I imagine you'll get bored quite quickly, not really much to think about them other than what to shoot. Brets, similarly not much to think about other than where to point your lances. HEs however have a bit of everything, good magic, decent shooting, decent combat and good manouverability. Your HE centre pieces will probably stand out a little more as well, they've got some nice looking character models, plus the opp to take dragons.

Jind_Singh
24-09-2009, 16:34
They don't necessarily need to be "tough" but hard to kill in combat? The armies I'm currently looking at are Brets, HEs, Dwarves (yes no magic but more shooting to make up for it! tee hehe!). I'm kind of straying away from Lizards simply because I want something humanish. If it helps we have a player at my store that romps around with Daemons, so something that is good against him would be a bonus too.

sorry I didnt see this post yesterday - blame sleepy eyes! - but based on your three then sadly you'll have to go high elves...

why?

Dwarves - amazing models for the most part, lots of shooting, but I find most of my dwarf players (and theres a fair few) get bored eventually with their army and look for a new fix. DOnt get me wrong - its not that the army is boring but its just that theres only so much you can do with the lists

brets - mmm, keep away - the model range is too old. let them (GW) redo the army before you look at it. they have some of the oldest models, and lots of metal figs for what are essential choices - so its costly.

high elves - lots of cool models, lots of plastic, though all the specials/rares are metal (sword masters for eg) lots of centre piece models - but (And this is only me as I have lots of mates who love the HE) I find them to be a bot stuffy - I read all the army books a while back, sat in the GW with all of them, just to read all the background stories, and what not. The high elf book was so dull I couldnt even be bothered finishing it - and I am, repeat, an absolute junkie for stories and reading! espec when it's related to my hobby!
Dark Elves are your sundered cousins, have cool stories, and a MUCH higher range of plastics to support your needs....oh and they got some sexy female figures in there too - nothing better than a bad ass character..who is also a girl!

Lazarus15
25-09-2009, 04:22
High Elves or Dark Elves.

Shooting: Both have almost identical options and are good at shooting. High elf magic can help your shooting though, which is kinda cool

Magic: High Elf magic is a little more of a support roll. They still have damage spells, but they also have spells that cause stubborn, and ward saves which is pretty neat. If you choose not to use this lore, you can still use ANY book lore.

Dark Elf magic is a little more aggressive in the sense that the magic is primarily a destructive tool. I think the only spell that doesn't cause damage, reduces the weapon skill of a unit to 1, which is really good. If you choose not to use this lore, I think they can only use the lore of Death.

Close Combat: Both do very well, and have their own cool units and rules. High Elves have the army wide "Always Strikes First," which is really cool, where the dark elves have hatred against everyone, which is equally as cool.

Both have centerpieces as well which are outrageous! If you want a Dark Elf Dragon, you are going to have to convert your own, usually from the high elf dragon.

Hope this helps!

EndlessBug
25-09-2009, 13:43
Dark Elf magic is a little more aggressive in the sense that the magic is primarily a destructive tool. I think the only spell that doesn't cause damage, reduces the weapon skill of a unit to 1, which is really good. If you choose not to use this lore, I think they can only use the lore of Death.

Think it's Death, Fire, Metal or Shadow.

DE shooting is a little better, DE RxBs (24" range, multi shot, S3, AP) being better than longbows (30" range, S3).

If you're wanting a large array of infantry go with HEs (White Lions, Swordmasters, Phoenix Guard and Spearmen all being V good), for a mix go with DEs (They have 1 VERY decent infantry block, the rest are average).

Jind_Singh
28-09-2009, 09:59
I still say, and stand by, Dark Elves - from the 2 elves these give Deamons a tough time, I'd rather face High Elves anytime!
WAAYYYY better looking too, got a cool background to them, and nice mix of lists you can play, plus way more support for their plastic model range WHICH IS USEABLE compared to HE who need a chunky investment of cash to buy all those metal models you cant live without!
magic is cool, their shooting is cool, they got wicked combat, harpies are too bloody good for what they do and cost, hydra is nasty, infact they are wicked!