PDA

View Full Version : Fleeing through units

eyescrossed
24-09-2009, 05:15
Hi everyone, I'm playing a game right now, and I can't for the life of me find where in the rulebook it addresses fleeing through/landing in friendly units when a unit flees as a charge reaction.

I'd appreciate it if you could inform me where in the rulebook it covers this.

Many thanks.

nosferatu1001
24-09-2009, 05:28
"Subsequent Actions of Fleeing Troops"

Upper left, p46

eyescrossed
24-09-2009, 05:34
Thankyou.

Wait, did I miss something? I can't see anything about what happens if a unit moves into a unit but not out...

Toads77
24-09-2009, 07:13
You can't move into a unit, you can only move through it. So if your flee would end you inside a friendly unit or an enemy unit with less then US5 then you place them on the other side of the unit you fled into. Remember if you flee into an enemy unit that is US5 your fleeing unit is destroyed, same goes with buildings and impassible terrain.

T10
24-09-2009, 07:48
If a flee move puts you on top of another unit then you are either destroyed or you keep moving straight on until you're clear of the unit.

If a pursuit/overrun move brings you into contact with another unit you typically stop in contact with it rather than moving through. This very much depends on whether that other unit is a friend or enemy.

Flee through, pursuit to.

-T10

eyescrossed
27-09-2009, 18:54
Thanks for that.

happy_doctor
22-10-2009, 17:26
Regarding the OP's question, what happens if a fleeing unit flees through a friendly unit and doesn't have any more movement (flee distance) left? Does it stop next to the unit or does it have to be at least 1" apart?
I remember seeing a note about this in the rulebook but cannot trace it down right now.

Thanks in advance for the help.

wilsongrahams
22-10-2009, 17:34
As stated in the rules, you keep moving the unit until it is clear, though remember to test the 'in the way' unit for panic. A pursuing enemy will then engage the 'in the way' unit rather than catching and destroying you - unless that unit panics that is.

In the mini rule book, it is page 41 and 42 and includes very clear diagrams too.

TheGrudgeBearer
22-10-2009, 19:55
w8t. If the fleeing unit rolls lower than the persuing unit, they are destroyd even if their roll would have taken them through a friendly unit that the persuers will engage right? They die if they roll lower, period?

So the persuing unit kills the fleeing unit and charges the other unit? Ive always played like that.

T10
22-10-2009, 20:01
As stated in the rules, you keep moving the unit until it is clear, though remember to test the 'in the way' unit for panic. A pursuing enemy will then engage the 'in the way' unit rather than catching and destroying you - unless that unit panics that is.
In the mini rule book, it is page 41 and 42 and includes very clear diagrams too.

That is incorrect.

If your unit is broken in combat then it will either successfully flee and escape, or it will be caught by its pursuers before it gets the chance to move at all.

Sucessfully escaping the pursuing unit is dependent entirely on the rolls for flee and pursuit movement.

It is entirely possible that the fleing unit rolls high enough to escape its pursuers but as you move the units the pursuers have sufficient move to catch the fleeing unit. In this case the pursuers stop 1" away.

See the description for diagram 43.1 Pursue!

-T10

TheGrudgeBearer
22-10-2009, 20:15
That is incorrect.

If your unit is broken in combat then it will either successfully flee and escape, or it will be caught by its pursuers before it gets the chance to move at all.

Sucessfully escaping the pursuing unit is dependent entirely on the rolls for flee and pursuit movement.

It is entirely possible that the fleing unit rolls high enough to escape its pursuers but as you move the units the pursuers have sufficient move to catch the fleeing unit. In this case the pursuers stop 1" away.

See the description for diagram 43.1 Pursue!

-T10

AH thx for that. hope your right, coz if not ive been doing it all wrong. in all of my games.. and my opponents.

eyescrossed
22-10-2009, 20:50
AH thx for that. hope your right, coz if not ive been doing it all wrong. in all of my games.. and my opponents.

You think that's bad? When I first started 40k (and wargaming) I thought all infantry moved 1D6". Turns out I'd read the Battle for Macragge book weirdly and got confused.

Nurgling Chieftain
22-10-2009, 22:20
You have to be careful with these.

If you break from combat, you compare the die rolls of the flight and pursuit movement, and if the pursuers roll as high or higher, the flee'ers die where they stand, and they aren't moved at all.

If you flee from a charge, you move the flee'ers first, then remove them if any chargers reach their actual after-fleeing position, based on distance, rather than strictly die rolls.

People get these two processes confused all the time.