PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Beasts, 3k Lizardmen List

blackjack
24-09-2009, 16:44
Got a 3k tournament comming up this saturday. Let me know what you guys think of this list.

Slann
BSB
Becalming Cogitation
Focused Rumination
Focus of Mystery
Bane Head
Cupped Hands of the Old Ones
Blood Statue

Slann (General)
Becalming Cogitation
Focused Rumination
Focus of Mystery
Soul of Stone
4 Power Stones

Skink Priest
Level 2
Plaque of Tepok
Engine of the Gods

Scar Vet
Light Armor
Enchanted Shield
Piranha Blade
Cold One

Scar Vet
Light Armor
Shield
Great Weapon
Jaguar Charm

10 skirmish skinks
10 skirmish skinks
10 skirmish skinks

10 Rank Skinks
10 Rank Skinks

16 Temple Guard, Banner, Music
16 Temple Guard, Banner, Music

4 Terradons
5 Cold Ones

1 Salamander, extra Handler
1 Salamander, extra Handler

2998pts

Seabo
24-09-2009, 17:04
Uhm you mean 2998 right? lol. Hell of a lot of stuff for 2300 :)
2 Toads...looking pretty brutal

Malorian
24-09-2009, 17:08
I think you can easily get away with dropping one of the becalming cogitations if not both.

The way I see this list is two solid blocks with the EotG between them and supported on one side by cold ones. Even with staying in corner you could get swarmed and flanked (those skinks won't stop most). But that being said it will be king of point denial which could be the wrong direction to go.

Battle of the beasts is based on victory points alone. You can win every game and still easily lose the tournament to a guy that lost every game but each time killed a ton of the enemy. So you're probably better of going with a very offensive army rather than a defensive one.

Also, watch out for armies with a lot of warmachines.

blackjack
24-09-2009, 17:17
"Uhm you mean 2998 right? lol. Hell of a lot of stuff for 2300
2 Toads...looking pretty brutal "

Yes 2998, thanks for the catch.

"Battle of the beasts is based on victory points alone. You can win every game and still easily lose the tournament to a guy that lost every game but each time killed a ton of the enemy. So you're probably better of going with a very offensive army rather than a defensive one.

Also, watch out for armies with a lot of warmachines. "

War machines and gun lines are the bane of the new lizards. I lost my first game in a looong while against a 22 jizzail 7 ratling gun skaven list last weekend. Apart from a second EOTG there is not much more I can do about warmachiens, Lizzies just don't have many good answers apart from terradons (not good against dwarfs) and the nike saurus (which I have).

You pegged my strategy correctly, come up one table edge with cold ones protecting the exposed flank. Not too sure what I can do to make the list more offencive at this late date though, I want to use as many of my own models as possible.

mantanza
24-09-2009, 18:03
I understand you are limmit by models on hand so I am not sure but this would be my suggestions. I am running a very very simular list, one of the big differences is that I dropped the salamanders for another unit of 4 terradons and this is why.

The salamanders are great Vs low leadership armies, and ok Vs Cav. But you have many answers to Cav already so they are not a huge threat IMO. However as you yourself state gunlines and warmachinces are a threat and having an additional 4 terradons give you redundancy and allows you to threaten more war machines.

Just food for thought otherwise my list is very simular. My local meta is very very magic heavy so I have a couple dispel scrolls as well.

blackjack
24-09-2009, 18:21
Good advice Mant.

Against high LD armies try using Lore of Death with the -3 LD spell in conjunction with the Sallies and the terradons. Move the terries behind the enemy unit, doom and darkness them for -3 ld, hit them with the salies and watch them flee into the terradons, its funny when you can pull it off.

As for terries against war machines, they might be our best option but they are still not very good, dwarven crew especially can beat the terries in CC.

mantanza
24-09-2009, 18:52
Lets run down the top tier armies IMO.

Demons: Salamanders wont do ANYTHING, terradons might helps with some redirects and general slowing of their advance.

Dark Elves: Salamanders are pretty good, but Terradons are money Vs Bolt throwers with the smaller crew of low toughness, great Vs dark riders, and crossbowmen...

Vamp Counts: Agian Salamanders wont do much...terradons wont really either but can still hopfully slow their advance.

High Elves: Salamanders are pretty good, but Terradons are money Vs Bolt throwers with the smaller crew of low toughness, great Vs Fast Cav, Chariots, and bowmen...

These are IMO the most competitive armies you will see, I think over all the Terradons help more.

But I do think the combo with lore of death can be brutle!!!

N810
24-09-2009, 18:55
I duno I think flame templates work prety good vs. T2 undead... :eyebrows:

Malorian
24-09-2009, 18:59
So far the armies that I know are coming are:

-Lizardmen
-Empire
-Ogres
-Dwarfs
-Dark elves
-Tomb kings
-Beasts of chaos
-Orcs

blackjack
24-09-2009, 19:00
Sallies do great against beasts, orcs, dark elfs, and empire. they do decent against tomb kings.

Terries only do well against dark elves, empire and perhapes orcs in the above list.

mantanza
24-09-2009, 19:45
Are you concerned with the Cold ones and stupidity?

While it rarly fails it does happen and having a strong unit like that fail a stupidity test when you need them can be very bad.

blackjack
24-09-2009, 19:54
Mantanza.

Yea failing a stuiped test has cost me a win once. The failure rate is about 1 in 12 which is every 3rd game or so. (keep in mind you don't need to make a test for turns you are in combat and sometimes you don't want to move or charge.)

It's a question of cold ones or Krox, I prefer cold ones, with the Scar vet in with them they can be quite amazing.

mantanza
24-09-2009, 20:05
Also noticed your first slann has too many Enchanted Items with with Bane Head and Blood Statuette of Spite.

Well best of luck to you sir!!

blackjack
24-09-2009, 20:32
I'll double check when i get home but I assume you are right! Thanks.