PDA

View Full Version : Word Bearers & cult troops fluff question.

Vharn
24-09-2009, 17:46
Hello,

I have a few fluff questions regarding the Word Bearers legion. At the moment I am building a CSM army which I intend to paint up as Word Bearers.

As far as fluff goes I only know the things that are said on the Word Bearer Lexicanum page and I have also read the book Dark Apostle and the various Horus Heresy books.

Now as I have a Forgeworld Plague Marine conversion set laying about I wondered if there is any mention of Word Bearers ever including god specific cult troops in their hosts.

Are there any good reasons why plague marines would ever be found amidst the ranks of the Word Bearers besides a temporary alliance in one of the Black Crusades?

Thanks for listening and if this question is a stupid one, sorry for wasting your time.

-Vharn

totgeboren
24-09-2009, 17:58
Its your army, so anything goes, but according to the fluff, the Word Bearers hate the mono-god cults almost as much as they hate the imperium.

So if you wanna do a fluffy WB army, you shouldn't include any cult troops. And really no god-specific icons either.

On the other hand, your leader could maybe have committed apostasy, rejecting the word of Lorgar and just going renegade. (Though thats quite far fetched, since their trademark thing is fanatical devotion crossing the line to insanity...)

You can still include cult troops rule-wise using count-as. For example, you could include a unit of chaos androids lead a a dark mecanicum techpriest using the rules for Thousand Sons or maybe Plague Marines and so on.

heh, I have a box full of about 20 plague marines that I just can't justify including since I went from a random chaos warband to pure Word Bearers.. :P

TheSanityAssassin
24-09-2009, 18:00
Word Bearers as a whole worship Chaos as a pantheon and don't ever devote themselves fully to one god or another. At times (as suggested in Dark Apostle) they will lean more towards one god or another, and as such you MAY be able to get away with a unit with an ICON of a specific god. Though this is far less likely than it would be in a Black Legion force, it is not as unlikely as it would be for say, Iron Warriors or Alpha Legion.
You would never run into a "cult" marine in the Word Bearer legion though. Best bet is either to simply take them as allies (I do this with Forge World's World Eater termies), or else possibly work them up as a "possessed" unit, taken over by Plaguebeaers? It might take a bit of modeling work on top of a standard Plague Marine, but it's my best theory as to how to make it happen and still be relatively fluffy.

vipernyc
24-09-2009, 18:10
I just paint mine in different colors and say that they are an allied warband - so I have a large number of Word Bearers, and a unit of world eaters, unit of death guard, night lord raptors, etc.

You would think it would look confusing, but it doesn't. It's just... chaotic >:)

Vharn
24-09-2009, 18:14
Ok guess those are the answers I should have expected. Fluffy armies are my favorite so I shall probably save the plague marines for a different project then.

-Vharn

ps. Love your Word Bearers chosen squad Totgeboren

Lexington
24-09-2009, 18:50
Actually, I think the posters here are getting things mixed up. The Word Bearers, from what I know, don't hate the singularly-dedicated Legions at all. They may feel themselves superior to them, but that's how the Word Bearers are. So, I'd say there's no reason the Children of Lorgar would feel ill at ease working alongside Plague Marines.

Industrial Propaganda
24-09-2009, 19:30
Some subfactions of the Word Bearers worship only one God.
The Sanctified from IA7 are Khorne cult troops and summon Anggrath on Vraks.

ghostgiant
24-09-2009, 21:02
When you think of the Word Bearers think of the unthinkable. A space marine armys spiritual leader in battle, the Chaplain goes bad. The Dark Apostle is born. So evil is the Dark Apostle he lures demons of all description to fight with him, but they are only a means to an end and are sent to their destruction. There's evil and then there's evil.

madd0ct0r
25-09-2009, 12:45
They're known to use deomons liberally - perhaps deliberatly summoning them and imprisoning them within a unit of loyal Marines that have been cut off from their comrades?