PDA

View Full Version : To Tomb Guard or not to Tomb Guard-2k TK

lcfr
24-09-2009, 23:25
Alright, I've applied some of the suggestions and come up w/3 lists that, at heart, follow the same play-logic and have the same 'character'. Which would you feel is the best, most balanced, all-comers list?

List 1

Tomb King w/Cloak of the Dunes, Scorpion Armour, Spear of Antarhak and shield. 268pts

Liche Priest (Hiero) w/dispel scroll and Hieratic Jar. 165pts
Liche Priest w/Staff of Ravening and skeletal steed. 168pts
Liche Priest w/Casket of Souls and Collar of Shapesh. 305pts

3x chariots 120pts
3x chariots 120pts
10x skeletal archers 80pts

tomb scorpion 85pts
3x carrion 72pts
21x tomb guard w/FC and Icon of Rakaph 322pts
20x tomb guard w/FC and Banner of the Undying Legion (or no banner and 2 more TG) 295pts

List 2

Tomb King w/Cloak of the Dunes, Scorpion Armour, Spear of Antarhak. 265pts

Liche Priest w/Casket of Souls and Collar of Shapesh. 305pts

23x skellies w/banner, champ, and BotUL 252pts
3x chariots 120pts
3x chariots 120pts

18x TG w/FC and Icon 286pts
3x carrion 72pts
3x carrion 72pts
tomb scorpion 85pts

SSC 90pts

List 3

Tomb King w/Cloak of the Dunes, Scorpion Armour, Spear of Antarhak. 265pts

Liche Priest w/Plaque of Mighty Incantations (or scroll to make up for the Casket's -1 to cast). 145pts

3x chariots 120pts
3x chariots 120pts
11x skeletal archers 88pts

tomb scorpion 85pts
5x carrion 120pts
19x tomb guard w/FC and Icon of Rakaph 298pts
18x tomb guard w/FC 246pts

2x SSC 180pts

Maoriboy007
25-09-2009, 05:14
First off, is the King going to be flying around attacking units by himself? If not then ditch the scorpion armour for a ward save.
As far as the TG are concerned, if you are going for combat infantry, then tomb guard are much better than skeletons for only slightly more cost.
For redirecting, light cav are better for this role as flying skirmishers (Carrion) do not allow you to dictate the direction of an enemy charge unless you can flee.
SCCs are great as the TK magic phase allows you to get a test shot using incantations.

lcfr
25-09-2009, 15:10
Yep, the King is a one-man tarpit unit. Ultimately the Tomb Guard can't quite take on RnF but can hold things up better than skellies; I agree TG are great but the reason I drop one unit in the 2nd list is to let me take more of the things I need like an SSC and more Carrion. I suppose I could run skelly cavalry instead of an additional unit of Carrion but I like the flexibility of 20" moves. Plus, if you fly Carrion just barely within the LoS of Frenzied enemies (really what my main concern is) they'll still be required to do big wheels to come into contact w/the Carrion at all, although obviously this is not as good as being fully redirected by a ranked unit.

At 2250 none of this is really an issue since the extra 250pts lets me prretty much get what I need to round out the army, so my main concern is what 2k variant will be best. So what do you think? Do two small units of Carrion (or, for the sake of flexibility let's say one unit of Carrion and one unit of cavalry) outweigh the benefits of having two units of Tomb Guard and one larger unit of Carrion that can crossfire?

Malorian
25-09-2009, 18:48
Yup don't knock the king. I thought it was a dumb setup too until I saw it in a battle report and it worked perfectly.

Anyway tomb guard are great and taking two units is never a bad thing.

I'd drop two carrion though to fill up the tomb guard.

Caligula
25-09-2009, 18:53
I've gotta say, I haven't seen that particular build and purpose for a Tomb King, and I really dig it. Like Malorian said, at first I thought it was a bit off, but on further thought, I think it could actually do the job quite well. Nice one.

lcfr
25-09-2009, 19:19
I've gotta say, I haven't seen that particular build and purpose for a Tomb King, and I really dig it. Like Malorian said, at first I thought it was a bit off, but on further thought, I think it could actually do the job quite well. Nice one.

Thanks. He's kitted out this way because in the first variant there is no truly 'spongey' unit, like a big block of skellies for example. In the second variant he may take on a different role (flying DoE perhaps) since there would be an official tarpit unit (the big block of skellies).

Anyway tomb guard are great and taking two units is never a bad thing.

How much should I value getting a SSC in my list though? The reason I can't in the first list is because I'm strapped for points everywhere...any less TG and they won't be effective, and any less Core and I'm running an illegal army :p The SSC will give me a better shot at killing big nasties that my Chariots and TG will have a rough time fighting and it'll also add value to my Casket Priest, who is otherwise stuck incanting the archers (obviously not nearly as devastating as two SSC shots per turn can be...forcing the opponent to commit DD either towards this or stopping the Light of Death).

Ach I'm so torn, and the worst part is I won't even be playtesting anything for awhile:cries:

PS. thanks for sticking up for Tarr-Pitt...this will really boost his self-esteem

Malorian
25-09-2009, 19:40
Maybe drop the casket for the catapult(s)

Enigmatik1
25-09-2009, 19:50
I personally really like the first list. I've haven't used Carrion yet, mainly because I haven't bought the models (I'm not sure if I even like them visually...which is a big deal to me). I would drop the Carrion in list 1 and run an SSC in its place if you are going to need something to take out a big nasty.

Malorian
25-09-2009, 19:55
I'd like to point out that carrion are nice to have just as it gives your magic something to do other than try and fire a catapult.

Move them up and then use your magic to force a magical charge into a warmachine or something else soft and squishy.

Having two units would then allow you to do the same thing again on turn 2 as those magical charges with other stuff typically doesn't happen until turn 3.

Also might be nice to start the king with the catapult so that he can use his limited incatations to shoot it while the liches move the carrion. This becomes even easier when the king can fly and get easily redeploy later.

lcfr
26-09-2009, 18:12
Edited the first post to incorporate some of the suggestions over 3 lists. Tell me what you think guys. Yikes, long post but it highlights some of my thoughts for each list. Thanks for taking the time to read gang.

The Casket in List 1 is problematic because it doesn't give me room (in terms of points) to field a SSC, which makes the Casket Priest a little bit impotent as all he will be doing is incanting the archers to shoot, generally not that intimidating for my non-Waywatcher fielding opponents. On the other hand, it lets me run a very elite army that's resistant to crumbling and has a Liche anchored in each flank to propel my units when they need to be. The Carrion in this list don't need to be so large because, w/out an SSC to panic/flee units it will be rare that my birds will be doing any crossfiring. So if I go down to 3 or 4 Carrion I'll spend the points on beefing up the TG.

List 2 gives me a Casket and SSC (but no archers) which is very dangerous for any opponent and lets me really maximize my magic power...since now the Casket Priest has an actual job! The playstyle is the same since theoretically the Skellies can fulfill some of the same roles as the TG (who are really counting on flank charges w/the Chariots anyways to win their combats).

List 3 is a little less magic heavy because of the loss of the Casket but has 2 SSCs to go apes--t on any nasties. The Carrion stay 5strong in this list to take advantage of crossfiring when possible, and incanting the SSCs to re-shoot should have the same effect on most players as the Casket's Light of Death, which means there are still good opportunities to get the movement-incants in when I need to.

kyinpie
26-09-2009, 22:37
personaly i would drop the casket any way! its not realy worth the points! IMHO. i think you would be better off with all three priests being mobile, on steeds would be better, even the hiro as the king has got clock. this will enable you to get to where you need those all important charges, intill then stay close to your catapults.

i havnt tried the set up u have on the king, but i think i will have to surprise an opponent with this set up! :P

lcfr
30-09-2009, 19:57
Well I think I'm done list-tinkering at this point...seems like I've gotten some positive feedback for each with no clear winner (I'll be damned if I have to do a poll for my lists :p). I'll be home next weekend and will hopefully have a chance to try out one of the variants and post a batrep to accompany it then.

Thanks for the advice and support gang!