PDA

View Full Version : Breaching the Eye of Terror?

Canis Wolfborn
25-09-2009, 02:48
As far as I have read the Eye of Terror is a huge barrier against the enemies of Chaos as well as a sort of "jail" for Chaos also. Is it possible that other races will be able to get in there and take control? I was thinking no, mainly due to the fact that if they went into there no matter how many Chaos Daemons they "killed", they would always come back instantly, making them an invincible force. Though this may be wrong, so I am asking you guys if this is possible.

Mannimarco
25-09-2009, 02:53
breaching the eye is actually pretty easy, an ork in their codex launched a waaagh straight into it and took out several daemon worlds

but yeah it is a suicide mission

Pvt. Ratt
25-09-2009, 03:18
It is possible to attack and stage an assault. But next to impossible to purge the Eye.

With thousands upon thousands of Traitor Astartes hanging around (getting drunk off of slanneshi wines/nurgle brews/khorne liqours, attempting to get a 'little bit more' out of those damned flirtatious Daemonettes) waiting for a fight. It loses its appeal to go crusade on in there

Adding on the hundreds of thousands/millions of Traitor Guardsmen who serve the Spikey Marines. It sounds even more unappealing.

Oh and lets not forget the loads and loads of Daemons who are running around (buying jam and other such products as is needed to overthrow the Imperium of Mankind) in numbers I can't even fathom. (or does not want to waste time thinking about) It sounds even worse.

Something tells me you don't want to spend your vacation or even military career fighting in the Eye... But perhaps I'm wrong...

darker4308
25-09-2009, 03:28
I think there is a correct way to destroy the eye of terror and it involves basically what the emporer was trying to do. The guy wanted to regulate all humanities minds so no chaos taint could make it in. This also included a program of genocide for any xenos. As I understand without the faithful ... the chaos gods die off.

PondaNagura
25-09-2009, 04:43
they tried this in the old novel Eye of Terror...it didn't go so well.
getting in is fine, but since the whole region is a nebulous dust-enshrouded warp storm, pulled in a thousand direction by the forces branching the material and immaterial dimensions, where the astronomican can't penetrate getting your bearings to find your way out is much harder. and even then there's all those guns at the Gate.

Israfael
25-09-2009, 06:39
Absolute suicide in every way.

As things currently are, Games Workshop has created a perfect stalemate.

darth mortis
25-09-2009, 07:46
would it be possible to exterminatus one planet at a time near the cadian gate in the eye makeing it harder for chaos to stage anything? i know it would be a suicide mission but if it was just servitors on a small ship or one big enough to blow a planet up it wouldnt matter would it? getting close enough to the job is another matter. as for closeing the eye up which is what the emperor was trying to do or at least weaken it with his webway that would be much harder. didnt the c'tan or the necrons have some sort of device to close the rift up or am i thinking of something else from the way in heaven?

borithan
25-09-2009, 08:29
Inquisition ships are meant to enter the Eye of Terror on occasion... largely don't return, and many of those people that do have been driven mad, but it is possible.

ryng_sting
25-09-2009, 08:52
I think there is a correct way to destroy the eye of terror and it involves basically what the emporer [sic] was trying to do. The guy wanted to regulate all humanities [sic] minds so no Chaos taint could make it in. This also included a program of genocide for any Xenos. As I understand without the faithful ... the chaos gods die off.

Not quite. Imperial Truth was damage-limitation, for as as long as there's emotion, there's Chaos. But take away the idea of gods, and, in theory, Chaos has a slightly harder time influencing the material world. Atheism doesn't effect the size of the Eye of Terror in any way.

As an aside, you wonder what contingencies the Emperor had in place for containing 'incidents' in that region of space, or how close an eye he kept on the planets there.

Idaan
25-09-2009, 09:51
The Eldar have actually recaptured two worlds within the Eye of Terror during the EoT campaign. Belial IV was a capital world of the old empire and was captured by Maugan Ra's personal crusade, later aided by the Eldar of Altansar (who have survived there for 10000 years without being Chaos worshippers), and Eidolon is a world divided into 4 zones for each Chaos power, on which Biel-Tan has gained a foothold and reverted parts of it into pre-Daemon World status.
So it's definately doable.
Sadly, this fluff goes unmentioned along with other instances of Eldar actually winning something in the EoT campaign.

grissom2006
25-09-2009, 10:57
Getting in is easy it's the surviving thats the hard part once there.

Mannimarco
25-09-2009, 13:32
and theres really not a lot to gain by waging war there:

you dont relly want to take trophies from the worlds themselves, you'll just end up getting corrupted

theres not much tech to be recovered that hasnt been warped and useless

you cant fortify any positions you take over as your completely surrounded by an almost unlimited amount of daemons/traitors/cultists that will gradually wear you down

Karhedron
25-09-2009, 14:34
I don't think you can actually close the Eye itself simply by conquering planets within it. The Eye waxes and wanes as the influence of Chaos fluctuates but it is still a permenant area of real/warpspace overlap.

The C'tan do possess tech capable to separating realspace from the warp. It is theorised that the Pylons on cadia are responsible for the existence of the Cadian gate. In theory if you could plant pylons all around the eye and then steadily work inwards you might be able to close it.

Whether the remnant Necrons around today have the resources for such an undertaking is questionable. You can also bet your bottom dollar that such an attempt would be one of the few things that could make the feuding powers of Chaos put aside their differences for a while. The Emperor and his Primarchs represented a great enough threat to their existence for them to work together, I imagine the Necrons trying to close off their access to the material universe would represent a similar one.

Idaan
25-09-2009, 16:10
Whether the remnant Necrons around today have the resources for such an undertaking is questionable. You can also bet your bottom dollar that such an attempt would be one of the few things that could make the feuding powers of Chaos put aside their differences for a while. The Emperor and his Primarchs represented a great enough threat to their existence for them to work together, I imagine the Necrons trying to close off their access to the material universe would represent a similar one.Again info from EoT campaign: during the 13th Black Crusade and the waxing of EoT, a number of Pylons appeared on the Sentinel Worlds in the south-western quadrant of EoT:

The most notable development emerged from this unregarded backwater system just as the wars reached their peak, with hordes of silvered Necron warriors emerging from hidden tombs on the four planets surrounding Hydra
Cordatus in a rough pyramid pattern. The Imperial forces stationed nearby feared the worst, but were amazed when the Necrontyr fell upon the soldiers of Chaos, turning the tide in favour of the forces of Order. Since that time, increased Necron activity in the sector has prevented any
Imperial forces from capitalising upon these victories, and remote orbital pict-captures have even revealed several structures almost identical to the Cadian Pylons sprouting across the landscapes of these four sentinel worlds.

Vesica
26-09-2009, 02:43
I think there is a correct way to destroy the eye of terror and it involves basically what the emporer was trying to do. The guy wanted to regulate all humanities minds so no chaos taint could make it in. This also included a program of genocide for any xenos. As I understand without the faithful ... the chaos gods die off.

Pretty much this, the chaos gods rely on been worshipped, if the Galaxy was purged of traitors and xeno filth, then the false gods would die off.

I wonder what would happen if you sent a boat load of 'Blanks' into the eye?

sycopat
26-09-2009, 05:41
The chaos gods aren't reliant on worshippers all that much. They rely on worshippers to spread word of their existence and show ordinary people the rewards of service, but the chaos gods are at their core just embodiments of basic emotions, concentrated to horrific extremes.

The eye is a basically just a big warpstorm, caused by the birth of slaanesh (Although, because the warp reflects sapient emotion, it's truly direct cause is likely the anguish felt by the fallen eldar at the moment slaanesh awoke and ate their souls...) Warpstorms obey their own rules. Conquerung each planet could potentially weaken, and eventually close the eye, but while the eye is open the planets within it can be host to limitless numbers of daemons.

Also, when daemons die in the material realm they are reborn in the warp. The eye overlaps the warp with real space, basically forming a conveyor belt of daemons that just recycle over and over again... Within the eye daemons wouldn't just have the advantage of their gifts, but would also be "without number"

ntin
26-09-2009, 08:24
would it be possible to exterminatus one planet at a time near the cadian gate in the eye makeing it harder for chaos to stage anything? i know it would be a suicide mission but if it was just servitors on a small ship or one big enough to blow a planet up it wouldnt matter would it? getting close enough to the job is another matter. as for closeing the eye up which is what the emperor was trying to do or at least weaken it with his webway that would be much harder. didnt the c'tan or the necrons have some sort of device to close the rift up or am i thinking of something else from the way in heaven?

During the Eye of Terror campaign the Planet Killer (think Death Star) did blow up a few minor planets in the Cadia system. The forces of Chaos still need the planet Cadia to serve as a foot hold for their Black Crusades. Without a safe harbor at the edge of the Eye of Terror the Chaos Legionís supply lines would be to unreliable for any major campaign against the Imperium. Most of the previous Black Crusades simply ran past the defenses at the Cadian Gate before a rally could be issued or found other ways out.

Askil the Undecided
26-09-2009, 11:16
Destroying the worlds around the eye of terror is useless, all it would do is make it harder to defend against chaos while the immortal mutated legions can just nip through the gaps in any cordon you care to make.

Also the eye of terror is a Warp-Realspace overlap it is also full of warpstorms, it's not just a big warpstorm. There is a difference as the latter only exists in the warp the former is any area of space where the warp and reapspace get together and take the laws of physics and nip off to the pub, only the Old Ones, Chaos gods and C'tan really understand how to influence such a thing and the chaos gods don't care to do much but make it even bigger so they can play with more squishy realspace critters the C'tan just haven't been doing much about it because they needed a nap and the Old Ones have unceremoniously sodded off and left the galaxy to it's fate (or possibly died valiantly defending us from the C'tan, enslavers and other such terrifying cosmic gribblies.)

Vesica
28-09-2009, 20:43
The chaos gods aren't reliant on worshippers all that much. They rely on worshippers to spread word of their existence and show ordinary people the rewards of service, but the chaos gods are at their core just embodiments of basic emotions, concentrated to horrific extremes.

They are aren't they? not direct worship (ala praying) but doing acts in there name, or even taking to much pleasure in certain acts feeds the gods.

Hence why slaanesh was born because of the Eldars pleasure cults and such.

If you used servitors to fight all wars there would be no blood or rage for Khorne to feed on, if people kept their pleasures within reason their would be no degradation for Slaanesh to feed on, if the Galaxy had no illness and was full of hope then Nurgle would have no stagnation to feed on, if all knowledge was open and shared with ease there would be no ambition and need for knowledge for Tzeentch to feed on.

Kildash
28-09-2009, 21:19
If you used servitors to fight all wars there would be no blood or rage for Khorne to feed on.

This just gave me an idea. What if this is the basic idea behind the Mechanicum, or the forme Adeptus Mechanicus? What if that's the message the 'machine god', or the void dragon (yeah, I don't wanna argue about that part) installed in the martians' minds?

Untill, of course, the Emperor showed up.

Does that make any sense at all? It's a really thin theory, but it sounds cool, and COULD work.

Nezmith
28-09-2009, 21:27
If you used servitors to fight all wars there would be no blood or rage for Khorne to feed on, if people kept their pleasures within reason their would be no degradation for Slaanesh to feed on, if the Galaxy had no illness and was full of hope then Nurgle would have no stagnation to feed on, if all knowledge was open and shared with ease there would be no ambition and need for knowledge for Tzeentch to feed on.

Which exactly why the Necrons are Chaos' worst enemy.

They know how to seal off the warp.

They have no emotion, only logical thought.

The Necrons and their Star Gods are the exact opposite to the Corrupted Worshipers of Chaos and it's gods.

Karhedron
29-09-2009, 12:31
The Necrons and their Star Gods are the exact opposite to the Corrupted Worshipers of Chaos and it's gods.

They represent absolute, cold, pitiless Order.

The concept of Chaos as represented by GW was originally created by Michael Moorcock (well you could go all the way back to Hindu mythology but MM was the first to write about Chaos in the way most GW fans would recognize). In his stories the incarnations of the Eternal Champion sometimes side with Chaos and sometimes with order but only every find freedom in the balance between them.

The idea of positive gods exist in WHFB (Taal etc) but seem to have no equivelent in 40K. The Necrons are a somewhat different idea but fulfill the role of equal and opposite of Chaos.