PDA

View Full Version : Hard Wolf Riders?

nanktank
25-09-2009, 07:46
Ive been thinking about the way I use my wolfriders, the current trend is to get a small unit say 5-7, arm them with short bows and use them as a distraction. Has anybody ever tried going the opposite direction? So perhaps 15-20 with shields & spears, this would give them a 4+ save, a decent rank bonus 18" charge range and could bog down a unit for a couple of turns at least. Anybody ever tried this before?

Bloodless
25-09-2009, 09:28
Ive been thinking about the way I use my wolfriders, the current trend is to get a small unit say 5-7, arm them with short bows and use them as a distraction. Has anybody ever tried going the opposite direction? So perhaps 15-20 with shields & spears, this would give them a 4+ save, a decent rank bonus 18" charge range and could bog down a unit for a couple of turns at least. Anybody ever tried this before?

I think if you take more then 7 to 10, you are waisting your points. They are still goblins, and will not brake much on the charge. I do not think the extra combat res will help much. If you really want to take a block of 20, I recommend that you take three blocks of seven instead. Their advantage is their mobility, and ability to hit opponents flanks. The more small cheap squads the better. Additionally I don't see any point in making them "hard". They are goblins don't waist your points. I hope my recommendation helps.

Urgat
25-09-2009, 12:23

yes I tried. Works fine against things like empire state soldiers. Against about everything else, they tend to hit and run, litteraly.

Avian
25-09-2009, 12:26
In my mounted list I frequently used two units of 10 with spears, light armour, shields and full command. Provided they didn't have to make Leadership tests on their own Ld of 6, they were okay.

More: Goblin Wolf Riders (http://www.avianon.net/tactics/goblin_units_chars.php#uwr)

smokemeakipper
25-09-2009, 23:44
i have tried a unit of 20 wolfriders with a goblin general in it but got shot up badly on the first turn and ran. it was accompanied by 2 goblin chariots to try a combined nasty charge. in the end the chariots were left alone to cause carnage while the wolfriders were the focus of the enemies attention. try it, its fun for a change. two gigantic spider rider heroes in a unit of spider riders can also do a similar job, by hiding in and around forests and charging weak units. not exactly game winners though!

nanktank
26-09-2009, 00:11
I never thought about spider riders, I have a gigantic spider rider hero coming to me soon, this is for a common goblin list so I am thinking provided I fill all the special slots with artillery, they could probably do some damage.

Kitskin
26-09-2009, 00:50
That was a lot more popular when you got bonus hero slots and chariots were a 2 for 1 special. Being able to field a ranked unit with 4 heroes and an 18" charge was nice, especially when they have 6 chariots backing them up.

Sambojin
26-09-2009, 01:17
Yeh, the wolfrider lists of 6th were a blast to play (and could get a bit over-powered with alot of chariots). The 5-wide rule, no extra heroes, S5 instead of S6 heroes, crappier magic items and crappy BO's for removing animosity has made it a bit redundant now. Tying up 250+ pts in a light combat unit is just silly, animosity/panic/hard troops will stuff your day most times. If you really want to do it then go ahead (3 blocks makes a weird game, great missile magnets) but you're really better off going for a swarm approach. Say 8 units of 5 (same cost as 2x20) with bows and spears/shields. Still not too effective, but is a laugh to play.

Kalandros
26-09-2009, 02:30
This guy in a recent tournament brought a gobbo army.
His main block was a large Wolf Rider unit with BSB and Lord.

Auto-Waaagh, turn 1.
BSB Banner of +D6 on first charge.
18" + 2d6" right off the bat, needs to roll 6+ on his 2d6 to reach anything, he broke ironbreakers on turn 1 and overran into anvil of doom if what I was told is correct.

Quite amazing for lil gobbos.

nanktank
26-09-2009, 09:37
I remember the wolfrider list!, I myself was a fan of the snotling list, although my dream never eventuated!

Whaagnomore
26-09-2009, 15:09
Auto-Waaagh, turn 1.
BSB Banner of +D6 on first charge.
18" + 2d6" right off the bat, needs to roll 6+ on his 2d6 to reach anything, he broke ironbreakers on turn 1 and overran into anvil of doom if what I was told is correct.

This truly makes me want to play gobbos

Korhil-WLC
27-09-2009, 11:43

Playing maths hammer you will only do about 2.5 wounds against swordmen on the charge.

At the end of the day they are still a WS 2, S3, 1A model

Urgat
27-09-2009, 14:15
Playing maths hammer you will only do about 2.5 wounds against swordmen on the charge.

At the end of the day they are still a WS 2, S3, 1A model

You kind of forget the strongest part of the deal, the wolves, don't you?

The tactic above is silly, btw. Sure, it's nice for the general's unit. It's also a liability with zero benefit for all the other smaller wolf units, and pretty much useless for RnF troops which will probably stay put, or lose models too. Yeay! Now you got your kickass (lol) general all alone (well, with a handful of march-blocked wolf riders...) in the middle of the enemy army, which can count on animosity to let it take its time and deal with it, while bombing your own army from afar, none of your gobs even able to use the general's ld for panic tests. Certainly amusing, but in a tourney? I don't think he got very far (probably lost the moment his genral had to cross a terror bubble anyway). And you got to get (very) lucky to break ironbreakers like that, btw, characters in the unit or not :p