PDA

View Full Version : Non-Templars Emperor's Champion

Corrode
25-09-2009, 09:07
The Emperor's Champion is a fairly iconic part of the Black Templars, but it's not the only place he appears - the 3rd edition Codex mentions that all Imperial Fist successors have Champions from time to time, even if the Templars are the most common example.

I love the model, and I've been intending to repaint it for a while now and use it in my Crimson Fists as a pseudo-Champion - i.e. a Captain with a Relic Blade and Artificer Armour. My question is, what colour would the armour be? The only painted examples from GW are in BT colours (for obvious reasons); is the Armour of the Faith habitually painted black or would Chapter colours be common outside of the Templars?

LexxBomb
25-09-2009, 09:39
it was also said that any chapter could field an Emperors Champion... heck my DA army has one for display purposes in robes on a rock.

pookie
25-09-2009, 09:50
id paint him in the same colour of the chapter i would be fielding him with, IE as a normal CF/IF/BT/IK etc, the BT one being the only example i can think of, and him being painted in the Legion, erm sorry Chapter colours of the BT seems that all would be like this.

do note that it is stated that his Armour and Equpment ( ie sword ) does cary, so its possible for him to be equiped with a Uber Power Axe instead of a Sword.

Im also using the Idea of a EC leading my SM force, instead im using Sicarus with various things as 'counts' as.

kylsnik ironhead
25-09-2009, 10:20
quoted page 15 of the Black Templars codex

"The practice of having an Emperors Champion has spread to other Chapters, but it is enshrined most strongly in the dogma of the Black Templars."

so yeah you could have a Emperors champion in your chapter if you wanted.

grissom2006
25-09-2009, 12:23
Seen plenty of them pained up in various Chapter colours and styles.

Firaxin
25-09-2009, 19:57
If you want to represent him with rules and not just a model; you can take a captain and give him a relic blade (at least, artificer armor, digital weapons, etc, would be good choices too). Or if you're looking for something that won't take up a whole HQ slot, a Chapter Master's Honor Guard has a Champion profile which does a decent job of representing the Emperor's Champion, especially if given a relic blade.

Lord Zarkov
25-09-2009, 21:27
IIRC one of the times they released an Eemperor's champion model they had him painted up as a smurf - he was still black though, with just one shoulder pad painted blue with the chapter badge.

Fluffwise the concept descends from Sigsmund (one of the IFs) who painted his armour black and became the Emperor's champion for the battle for Terra, well before the Templars came about.

Urath
25-09-2009, 22:47
Well, Rogal Dorn himself was in fact the "Emperor's Champion".

Dhazzakull
27-09-2009, 06:29
as i know the black armour symbolyses dedication to the emporer, thats why chaplain armour is always black, the same goes for the emporers champion, paint him black with a chapter shoulder pad.

Oldguny
27-09-2009, 14:41
Where could you look up that you could put the Emperor's Champion in any army?

pookie
27-09-2009, 14:58
Where could you look up that you could put the Emperor's Champion in any army?

technically you cant do this as the official EC is BT only ( ie you can only use him with a force drawn from the BT Dex)

but saying that, the Ec is known to be part or other chapters, as noted above, what the OP is wanting is to use a modle as 'counts as' no special bonus to froce etc, just a cool looking HQ choice.

Urath
27-09-2009, 22:58
I suppose you could use him in place of a Chaplain, i.e "counts-as". Or in the Honour Guard of a Chapter Master in place of a Company Champion. Personally, I prefer the Chaplain idea.

ashc
28-09-2009, 00:32
I would think that Chapter and Company Champions have pretty much become the other Chapters' Emperor's Champions in the new book...

Argastes
28-09-2009, 00:46
Yeah, I'd agree that the closest analog for him in a non-BC army list is the chapter champion. But the idea of using him as a chaplain is cool too.

SolidShooterMan
28-09-2009, 19:18
you could do as the librarians and chaplains are done, so with their armour coloured to their role(ie blue for librarians) with their chapter colours on the shoulder pad. also for further note there is a competition in which a champion from a chapter is sent to represent it in this contest of skill and might. so maybe if the emperors champion is a problem to do, perhaps a representative for the chapter for the contest of swords would work just as well

pookie
29-09-2009, 09:57
you could do as the librarians and chaplains are done, so with their armour coloured to their role(ie blue for librarians) with their chapter colours on the shoulder pad. also for further note there is a competition in which a champion from a chapter is sent to represent it in this contest of skill and might. so maybe if the emperors champion is a problem to do, perhaps a representative for the chapter for the contest of swords would work just as well

thats a IF only contest.

Marshal2Crusaders
29-09-2009, 16:27
thats a IF only contest.

It is thought to be an IF only contest.

pookie
02-10-2009, 12:36
It is thought to be an IF only contest.

which maybe the case, but on the names of those chapters we know attend, then it would appear to be a IF contest, but i do see your point.