PDA

View Full Version : Expanding my 1000pt VC to 2000pt

Dr. Acula
25-09-2009, 10:21
I've got a pretty solid 1000pt list for my VC which (once I've completed the models) will be finished. How would I go about expanding it to 2000 points.

The 1000pt list consists of:

Vampire - Lord of the Dead, Dark Acolyte, Tomb Blade, Flayed Hauberk - 195

Vampire - Dread Knight, Walking Death, Book of Arkhan, Sword of Might - 200

20 Skeletons - Champion, Standard Bearer - 176

19 Skeletons - Champion, Standard Bearer, Banner of Endless Nightmare - 193

6 Black Knights - Champion, Standard Bearer, Royal Standard of Strigos - 227

I was thinking of another block of skellies, some Grave Guard and some Wraiths as well as a vampire lord and a necromancer. Would this be a reasonable expansion? What would you suggest?

Thanks.

complexfire
25-09-2009, 16:51
I've got a pretty solid 1000pt list for my VC which (once I've completed the models) will be finished. How would I go about expanding it to 2000 points.

The 1000pt list consists of:

Vampire - Lord of the Dead, Dark Acolyte, Tomb Blade, Flayed Hauberk - 195

Vampire - Dread Knight, Walking Death, Book of Arkhan, Sword of Might - 200

19 Skeletons - Champion, Standard Bearer, Banner of Endless Nightmare - 193

6 Black Knights - Champion, Standard Bearer, Royal Standard of Strigos - 227

I was thinking of another block of skellies, some Grave Guard and some Wraiths as well as a vampire lord and a necromancer. Would this be a reasonable expansion? What would you suggest?

Thanks.

Going to 2k you should add a couple of corpse carts (balefire) and a vargulf. I would also kit out a vamp lord and choose another core. Either go for more skellies or a unit of ghouls depending on how you like to play. You will also have the pts to put a wight lord in the black nights so that could be cool.

Vamps have so many super awsome options. Figure out how you are going to kit your vamps out then pick complementary units from the book. Try to stay away from deathstars and always stay away from bloodknights!!!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Caligula
25-09-2009, 18:05
I'm not a Vampire player, but I certainly play against them, so I can tell you what I find troublesome(and therefore good for you;)).

The Varghulf is an excellent choice, being fast, very durable, and more often than not sickeningly hard-hitting. I've found that a Varghulf on a flank with a unit or two of Dire Wolves supporting him to be a nasty proposition.

I also agree with complexfire, a Corpse Cart or two(yes, with Balefire) is also a good choice, although one should do the trick. Balefire has honestly ruined my day more times than I can count, so it's an excellent upgrade.

You're definitely going to want a Vampire Lord, likely. Many people say to not try and kit them out for a variety of uses, but rather focus on one aspect(ie. magic, close combat, etc.). I'm sure this is good advice in a lot of situations, but I have found in my experience that a versatile build for a Vampire Lord can be quite effective too, and you can make quite the good spellcaster that can also hold his own quite readily in combat with pretty much anything. Of course, how you build your Vampire Lord will be up to you and your playing style, and what you want out of him. I would just say don't feel like you HAVE to choose between having him be a close combat monster or a crazy spellcaster...you can, quite effectively, have a little of both, I've found.

Another unit I've found to be quite good are the Grave Guard. Accompanied by the right characters, and with the insane amount of excellent magic banners you Vampire players have available to you, you can make a nightmare of a unit out of them.

I haven't played against Wraiths yet, but I've heard they're quite good. Apparently, if you do go for Wraiths, go for about 5...at least, that's the preferred number I've heard talked about to get the most out of them. Apparently they're brutal.

Finally, Crypt Ghouls. I've faced them many times, and maybe it's just been my luck against them, but I've always found them troublesome, to say the least. They can throw out a lot of Poisoned attacks, and that's always a good thing.

Dr. Acula
25-09-2009, 22:01
Ok, how about this list:

Vampire Lord - Red Fury, Dread Knight, Dreadlance - 340 (with Black Knights)

Vampire - Lord of the Dead, Dark Acolyte, Flayed Hauberk, Tomb Blade - 195 (with skellies)

Vampire - Walking Death, Avatar of Death (HW+S), Book of Arkhan, Sword of Might - 200 (with Grave Guard)

Vampire - Lord of the Dead, Dark Acolyte, Helm of Commandment - 175 (with Skellies)

19 Skeletons - Champion, Standard Bearer - 168

19 Skeletons - Champion, Standard Bearer, Banner of Everlasting Death - 193

5 Dire Wolves - 40

19 Grave Guard - Champion, Standard Bearer, Banner of the Dead Legion - 277

6 Black Knights - Champion, Standard Bearer, Royal Standard of Strigos - 235

Total - 1999

What do you think?

Nathangonmad
25-09-2009, 23:05
Vampire - Walking Death, Avatar of Death (HW+S), Book of Arkhan, Sword of Might - 200 (with Grave Guard)

You over costed yourself for avatar of death on this guy hes on 195 points. However I do suggest dropping avatar of death and taking dreadknight instead for the extra +2 to your armour save.

Dr. Acula
25-09-2009, 23:09
So I did - was used to using him with Dread Knight so just copied his cost. Would you recommend changing the Lord around a little then and having him in the Grave Guard instead? Perhaps Red Fury/Blood Drinker and a couple of other things (Walach's/Avatar?)

Nathangonmad
25-09-2009, 23:12
Not really as an offensive lord hes about as good as you get, in the black guard he can cause some serious harm. However the dreadlance may be a tadd OTT since hes already getting hatred from the strigos banner, if you are wanting to change I'd change it out for a balefire spike and get some protection, maybe immune to KB armor and crown of the damned (stupid shouldn't bother you too much since your LD10)

However the vampire with helm and no armor I'd suggest dropping one of the skeleton units in favour of a unit of 10 ghouls with a ghast and bunker the helm vampire in there. I would also give the helm vampire the black partiapt.

I can't really see any changes apart from the ones list above, if you want to keep the list combat based rather than something like my 2000points lists, which is based around magic.

Dr. Acula
25-09-2009, 23:21
Not a bad idea. I can fit another unit of wolves in if that's the case and manage to sort out the lord's armour - red fury, avatar of death, blood drinker, walach's bloody hauberk, enchanted shield - 2+ armour save, 4+ ward save and getting loads of wounds back for himself/the grave guard.

The only problem is that I really don't like the ghoul models that much. They seem harder to paint (for me anyway) than skellies, although that shouldn't really be the major concern.

Nathangonmad
26-09-2009, 02:42
red fury, avatar of death, blood drinker, walach's bloody hauberk, enchanted shield - 2+ armour save, 4+ ward save and getting loads of wounds back for himself/the grave guard.

Walach's is only a 5+ ward and also you can't stack 2 magic armors (hauberk and enchanted sheild)

I really don't think hes worth giving a blood drinker, in my past experience i've only ever seen it work well on blood knights. I'd keep him with the black knights and use a lance weapon.

Dr. Acula
26-09-2009, 09:52
I thought you could stack the Enchanted Shield as an exception - oh well, 3+/5+ is probably good enough. What weapon would you suggest as an alternative. I was considering the tried and tested Sword of Battle. 5 WS7 attacks at S5 will likely cause some wounds which will give him a few extra attacks each turn.

Nathangonmad
26-09-2009, 18:51
I thought you could stack the Enchanted Shield as an exception - oh well, 3+/5+ is probably good enough. What weapon would you suggest as an alternative. I was considering the tried and tested Sword of Battle. 5 WS7 attacks at S5 will likely cause some wounds which will give him a few extra attacks each turn.

I'd go for the balefire spike, strengh 7 is just amazing.

ashc
27-09-2009, 18:30
You used to be able to stack enchanted shield with other magic armour in 6th; it's no longer exempt in 7th. :)