PDA

View Full Version : Luna Wolfs and Space Wolfs

The Flaming Hand
25-09-2009, 16:39
Whats the connection between these legions? What are the Luna wolfs connection to Wolfs?(The animal) and are the the force organisation between these wolflike legions anything similar?

And off course, can the space wolf codex be used to represent Luna wolf successors?

Kurisu313
25-09-2009, 16:42
Whats the connection between these legions? What are the Luna wolfs connection to Wolfs?(The animal) and are the the force organisation between these wolflike legions anything similar?

And off course, can the space wolf codex be used to represent Luna wolf successors?

First off, the plural of wolf is wolves.

Secondly, there is absolutely no connection besides the fact that they are both members of the original twenty legions and have 'wolves' in their names.

Are you aware that the 'Luna Wolves' are the Black Legion? There are no 'successors' of the Black Legion, although there are certainly splinter factions. All chaos, though.

trigger
25-09-2009, 16:45
No , the luna wolves were Horuses legion ... who were re-named 'sons of horus' then 'the black legion'

As far as im awear there is no conection to the wolf.

If you want you could use the SW codex to do it ... but you have a very good chaos codex so why would you want to. ( here come all the nay sayers 'codex chaos is rubbish..blah blah blah' )

There is another thread about useing Codex SW to do Chaos and its not that old .... My PERSONAL views are there ... you have a chaos codex so use it ....

My 2 penny's

LexxBomb
25-09-2009, 16:47
Im sure he knows but Ive also wondered why on earth there was two legions named after the Wolf... its not like there are mutiple legions named after the Eagle or the Thunder Bolt... after all these are the Emperors actualy symbols... closest you get are the Raven Guard and the Emperors Children... then again there were two legions named after fists/hands (Imperial/Iron) and there were 2 Angel based legions.

The Flaming Hand
25-09-2009, 16:47
First off, the plural of wolf is wolves.

Secondly, there is absolutely no connection besides the fact that they are both members of the original twenty legions and have 'wolves' in their names.

Are you aware that the 'Luna Wolves' are the Black Legion?

Sorry, not that good at spelling.
And yes i am aware of that the Luna wolves are the the black legion. Or more exactly, the sons of Horus under the command of Abaddon.

What i really want to know is why they by coincidence have to similiar names if one of them has nothing to do with wolfs. Do anyone know the origin of the Luna wolfs name?

grissom2006
25-09-2009, 16:53
The Space Marines of the Luna Wolves legion were created using human stock taken from the violent hive gangs inhabiting a planet called Cthonia. This planet allegedly existed in one of Earth's closest neighbouring systems. Being within reach even for non-warp spacecraft, Cthonia had been colonised, built upon, tunneled and mined probably since the dawn of space travel. As such, all natural resources had been stripped away and used up millennia before, and the ancient mining technology had long since been rediscovered and removed by the Adepts of Mars. The planet that remained was largely redundant and abandoned, completely riddled with catacombs, crumbling industrial plants and exhausted mine-workings.

One explanation given for the legion's name is that the initial batch of recruits were found on Cthonia but taken to the geno-laboratories on Luna for the modification and indoctrination required to become Space Marines. Cthonia was so close to Terra that it appears that at least one Cthonian native was able to take part in the Unification Wars and then become one of the first Luna Wolves.

Horus, the Primarch of the Luna Wolves, was the first of the Primarchs to be recovered by the Emperor, having been cast much closer to Terra than the others, and was found at a much younger age. As a result, Horus was for many years the Emperor's only son, and there was a great affinity between them. The Emperor spent much time with his protege, teaching and encouraging him. Horus was soon placed in command of the Luna Wolves legion - ten thousand Space Marines created from his own genetic code. With these warriors to lead, Horus accompanied the Emperor for the first thirty years of the Great Crusade, and together they forged the initial expansion of the young Imperium.

LexxBomb
25-09-2009, 16:54
dang ninja'd

Kurisu313
25-09-2009, 16:55
Sorry, not that good at spelling.
And yes i am aware of that the Luna wolves are the the black legion. Or more exactly, the sons of Horus under the command of Abaddon.

What i really want to know is why they by coincidence have to similiar names if one of them has nothing to do with wolfs. Do anyone know the origin of the Luna wolfs name?

There is no explanation of why the name contains wolves, and the 'Luna' is theorized to come from the fact that the first member were inducted on the moon. There may be other info that I am not aware of.

Many of the legions had their names changed when they met their primarch. Dusk Raiders to Death Guard, for instance.

Two of the legions have 'angels' in their names.
Two of the legions have 'fists/hands' in their names.

What ever the reason, it's coincidence, nothing more. There is no link between the Luna Wolves and the Space Wolves.*

*Bracing myself for possible correction

The Flaming Hand
25-09-2009, 17:05
Not even wolf decorations on the armour? If not, to bad as i was planning of combining the space wolfs set with parts from chaos space marines.

trigger
25-09-2009, 17:07
Not even wolf decorations on the armour? If not, to bad as i was planning of combining the space wolfs set with parts from chaos space marines.

SW look feral , so combining the 2 would be fine ... Just remove all imperial and SW motifes

grissom2006
25-09-2009, 17:31

Well the Chapter badge was a Black Wolf's head and a white cresented moon curled upwards.

Crazy Ivan
25-09-2009, 18:23
I think the "wolves" in the Luna Wolves' name has more to do with the "Luna" in their name than any actual wolves. After all, which other animal does everyone associate with the Moon?

Leftenant Gashrog
25-09-2009, 18:53
I have to say I'm more in favour of Black Legionnaires having some wolfy iconography than I am of them having the Eye of Horus on their armour - it doesn't make much sense for them to discard Horus' name but retain his symbol (and if memory serves that was a retcon - originally they discarded the Eye as well)

I think the "wolves" in the Luna Wolves' name has more to do with the "Luna" in their name than any actual wolves. After all, which other animal does everyone associate with the Moon?

Good God-Emperor on his potty.. in about 17 years I've never twigged that connection.

RealMikeBob
25-09-2009, 19:16
After all, which other animal does everyone associate with the Moon?

Soup Dragons?:angel:

Askil the Undecided
25-09-2009, 19:28
Has nobody considered it might just be because Wolves are really, really cool?

Also the connotations of ferocity and cunning suit the Luna Wolves to a T.

Whereas the Connotations of savagery, strength, being utterly awesome, self sufficient, independant and cunning fit the Space Wolves nicely and tire in nicely with the norse imagery of Fenrir the wolf.

ntin
25-09-2009, 19:28
Nothing about the overarching Roman theme? 20 Legions, 2 lost? Romulus and Remus raised by the she-wolf?

Crazy Ivan
25-09-2009, 20:00
Nothing about the overarching Roman theme? 20 Legions, 2 lost? Romulus and Remus raised by the she-wolf?
Hey, that's kinda clever! Hadn't thought about that one, well spotted!

Soup Dragons?:angel:
To be honest, I had to look that one up and I'm still not completely sure what a "Soup Dragon" is...

RealMikeBob
25-09-2009, 20:09
To be honest, I had to look that one up and I'm still not completely sure what a "Soup Dragon" is...

Fairly obscure reference to british TV in the 60s to be honest :)

Crazy Ivan
25-09-2009, 20:11
Fairly obscure reference to british TV in the 60s to be honest :)
Ah, that explains it then. Wrong country, wrong decade. Now if you'd mentioned the Berenboot...

:p

Lord_Crull
25-09-2009, 21:45
Has nobody considered it might just be because Wolves are really, really cool?

Also the connotations of ferocity and cunning suit the Luna Wolves to a T.

Whereas the Connotations of savagery, strength, being utterly awesome, self sufficient, independant and cunning fit the Space Wolves nicely and tire in nicely with the norse imagery of Fenrir the wolf.

Pop culture Wolves? Yes.

Wolves in real life? No, unless you consider cowardly pack creatures to be awesome.

Crazy Ivan
25-09-2009, 21:54
Pop culture Wolves? Yes.

Wolves in real life? No, unless you consider cowardly pack creatures to be awesome.
As 40k has nothing to do with reality, and everything with pop culture, I'd assume he was talking about those. Also, how many of the people on this board will be familiar with actual wolves? :p Especially if you consider that the "pop culture" image of wolves (and other animals) has been guiding our perception of them for thousands of years. Male lions are hardly impressively agressive fighters in real life too, but everyone views them as the symbol of ferocity...

Anyway, in a universe practically governed by the rule of cool, what do you expect? ;)

StormWulfen
25-09-2009, 21:56

erm bricks?

Lord_Crull
25-09-2009, 22:01
As 40k has nothing to do with reality, and everything with pop culture, I'd assume he was talking about those. Also, how many of the people on this board will be familiar with actual wolves? :p Especially if you consider that the "pop culture" image of wolves (and other animals) has been guiding our perception of them for thousands of years. Male lions are hardly impressively agressive fighters in real life too, but everyone views them as the symbol of ferocity...

Anyway, in a universe practically governed by the rule of cool, what do you expect? ;)

Where did I say it was not. I agree, the pop culture image of them as badass awesome fighters is cool. I was simply pointing out that the reality was very, very different.

Crazy Ivan
25-09-2009, 22:07
Where did I say it was not. I agree, the pop culture image of them as badass awesome fighters is cool. I was simply pointing out that the reality was very, very different.
OK, well, let me agree with you then.

erm bricks?
Like, those, you know, rectangular building thingies? I've seen those before, never realised they were animals... :eek:

Koryphaus
25-09-2009, 23:59
Don't forget the nickname Horus had - Lupercal

Argastes
26-09-2009, 00:47
Don't forget the nickname Horus had - Lupercal

Hahah, that's "She-Wolf" in Latin

Dexter099
26-09-2009, 01:04
Yes, but it's related to the fact that Horus is the legion's 'father', just as the wolf that raised romulus and remus was their 'mother'.

Argastes
26-09-2009, 02:35
I know, that's obvious, I just think it's funny that they gave him a feminine nickname.

StormWulfen
26-09-2009, 06:45
Like, those, you know, rectangular building thingies? I've seen those before, never realised they were animals... :eek:

ah you see its all a big cover up by the government, bricks are actually really dangerous predators. have you ever noticed that loose bricks tend to be in a different place every time you see them? even when there cemented into walls they still try to get out, that's why walls randomly crack in places ;)

:p

The Flaming Hand
26-09-2009, 10:59
That roman connection sure was intresting. Its fits so well with space marines:D.

So maybe i should look into ancient rome to get an idea how the Luna wolfs used to operate.

So masses of organized ranks of marines and multi god cults. That sounds a great deal like the black legion.

But as successors maybe rome under the rule of emperor Constantin may be an idea. (Monotheistic cult, in my case Tzeentch)

Grubnar
26-09-2009, 15:17
Im sure he knows but Ive also wondered why on earth there was two legions named after the Wolf... its not like there are mutiple legions named after the Eagle or the Thunder Bolt... after all these are the Emperors actualy symbols... closest you get are the Raven Guard and the Emperors Children... then again there were two legions named after fists/hands (Imperial/Iron) and there were 2 Angel based legions.

Dark ANGELS
&
Blood ANGELS

Raven GUARD
&
Death GUARD

Space WOLVES
&
Luna WOLVES

There is simply no connection, they just both thought it was a good (cool) name.

Messiah
26-09-2009, 18:19
The first Luna Wolves werent inducted on the moon, they were inducted on Terra, under the moon during night. And Im sure, as Crazy Ivan said, theyre called wolves because of their association with the moon.

AndrewGPaul
26-09-2009, 21:12
Where did you get that from? Index Astartes vol 4 says

One report talks of so-called 'recruitment squads' rounding up thousands of gangers and shipping them away, chained together in the holds of prison-shuttles, to geno-laboratories on Luna. Here they were modified using the genetic code of the Primarch Horus.

Messiah
26-09-2009, 22:13
Its from the first Horus Heresy novel. I cant remember the exact quote.

Logarithm Udgaur
27-09-2009, 03:26

Bats, Owls, pretty much any nocturnal animal.

Well, most Humans consider (their branch of) Humanity to be awesome, so there you go.

Damage,Inc.
27-09-2009, 06:23
Pop culture Wolves? Yes.

3 Wolves howling at the moon awesome!