PDA

View Full Version : Flee through own units while pursued??

zeekill
26-09-2009, 03:58
So here is the Scenario:

AAAAA
AAAAA
AAAAA
BBBBB
BBBBB

CCCCC
CCCCC
CCCCC
CCCCC

There is 4 inches between units B and C.
Unit B loses combat with A, fails its break check, and flees, it rolls a 6.
Unit A decides to pursue, it rolls an 8.

By my logic, I would say that unit B runs 6 inches and thus through its ally, and as long as unit C passes its panic check it takes the charge from unit A, blocking it off from being able to destroy unit B. Some people agree with me, but others disagree.

My question is, since unit B runs through its own unit, will it get caught, or will unit C take the charge and unit B get away because the enemy cant physically catch it?

xragg
26-09-2009, 04:10
B is destroyed before they even move. As long as A beats B on their flee/pursuit rolls, unit B is immediately cut down, irregardless of the set up behind unit B.

Kalandros
26-09-2009, 05:25
Indeed, fleeing from a charge is resolved by moving fleers first, then determine if the chargers still reach.
Fleeing from breaking and the pursuit are resolved by dice first, and afterward by moving - it is impossible for a pursuing unit to catch a fleeing (from combat) unit if the pursuer rolls lower but still comes into contact - they must stop 1" before.

WLBjork
26-09-2009, 05:35
OOps, voted without reading question.

Yep, you get cut down before any moves are made.

Necromancy Black
26-09-2009, 08:30
Unit B is dead before they move a single inch. Unit A was fast enough to not let them get away.

DarkAngelsG
26-09-2009, 08:32
Unit B will be destroyed instantly. The pursuing unit is then moved forward the 8", which puts them touching the enemy unit, so they count as "locked in combat", meaning the pursuers get no charge bonuses from hitting those enemies(basically the same as making a movement and then seeing it ends with your unit hitting the enemy).

Deglosh
26-09-2009, 09:26
Wait, so if the persuers roll higher than those fleeing, and high enogh to get intop combat with teh other unit, they kill the ones fleeing on the spot, then move the move and get a free charge?

were is this in the rules? i need to read it

narrativium
26-09-2009, 09:52
The section on break tests, fleeing and pursuit, at the end of the close combat section.

Tae
26-09-2009, 18:25
Flee/pursuit rolls work similar to sweeping advance in 40k, as other as mentioned, in as much as if the pursuit roll is equal to or higher than the flee roll, the fleeing unit is destroyed regardless of what units/terrain lays behind them.

Tuch
26-09-2009, 19:30
Unit B dies. Why is this even a poll?

Tae
26-09-2009, 23:01
Unit B dies. Why is this even a poll?

See poll answer #3

Jetty Smurf
27-09-2009, 23:08
Unit B will be destroyed instantly. The pursuing unit is then moved forward the 8", which puts them touching the enemy unit, so they count as "locked in combat", meaning the pursuers get no charge bonuses from hitting those enemies(basically the same as making a movement and then seeing it ends with your unit hitting the enemy).

While it is true that Unit B will be destroyed instantly, the move into Unit C actually counts as a charge.

Page 45, Pursuit Into Fresh Enemy
"It sometimes happens that pursuers move so far that they hit a fresh enemy unit. The pursuers are carried forward against the enemy unit as they chase their fleeing enemy. This is treated as if it were a new charge. "

As for Unit B being destroyed, its on page 40, Flee & Pursue, under the paragraph heading Remove Fleeing Units Caught, "If a victorious unit's pursuit roll is equal to or greater than the flee roll scored by the fleeing enemy units, the fleeing units are completely destroyed where they stand. All the troops are cut down as they turn to run or are scattered beyond hope of regrouping."