PDA

View Full Version : Position in the ranks, characters, magic items and standards

londo
26-09-2009, 08:45
Hi guys,
few questions i have:
if a character cannot be placed in a front rank (there is no space for him) does the magic items he have loose its magic- due to rule that he cannot use them?
For example: character have a armor that give him 2+ armor save, can he still have it? or ward, or regeneration, can he still have it?
Or maybe this rule is related only to the items that have to be "used" like magic scrolls, things that throw magic missiles etc.
Can Bsb's magic standard still gives its unit its bonus? (it says on the standard description "unit contain this standard").
And last, if unit standard bearer is placed in second rank (no space in first one) standard will not give +1 combat bonus to the unit, but rules do not says anything about standard looses its magic values- for example making the unit unbreakable. Can unit still benefit from the magic standard in second rank?
Thanks.

nosferatu1001
26-09-2009, 10:55
Yes: p73 a character not in the front rank cannot use any magic items such as magic standards (etc) + rules for BSB are lost as well. Clearly explained on the relevant pages.

If you are not on the front )or fighting) rank it doesnt matter anyway: you cannot get hit from shooting (assuming >5 RnF models) and in close combat you cannot get hit unless you are on a fighting rank.

If the banner is not on the front or fighting rank you get NO beenfit from the standard at all.

londo
26-09-2009, 11:38
it does matter if you get hit from spell targetting every model in a unit.

Kroxigore
26-09-2009, 11:38
It all comes down to the question what 'to use magic items' means, as the character cannot use magic items, if he is in the back rank of a unit. I would personally say that Items, which provide passive bonusses still count, as they are not actively used, but this is my interpretation of it. However special rules of the character definitely count as special rules are not magic items. If anyone finds a passage indicating how "using magic items" could be defined, please post the page number!

PeG
26-09-2009, 18:53
meaning that in this scenario it is highly recomended to increase the front to fit all relavant models in the front rank.