PDA

View Full Version : Munitorum Rank Structure

OmahaRenegade
26-09-2009, 14:40
I am writing a bit of fan-fiction, and was wondering about the Departmento Munitorum's rank structure. Does their rank structure follow that of the IG? Or do they have their own ranking system? I have the "Imperial Munitorum Manual" sitting next to me, and it does not divulge any details on Munitorum rank structure, just the overall structure of the Munitorum itself.

Charax
26-09-2009, 14:51
well, given that the Imperial guard is essentially part of the munitorum, all Imperial ranks are de facto part of the Munitorum's rank structure, in the same way that all ranks in a Company are also ranks within a Chapter.

Firaxin
26-09-2009, 19:09
Dark Heresy gives the following ranks for adepts of the Administratum (which the Departmento Munitorum is a part of) in ascending order:

1. Archivist
2. Scrivener
3. Scribe
4. Inditor OR Chirurgeon
5. Scholar
6a. Lexographer
7a. Loremaster Lexographer
8a. Loremaster Magister
6b. Comptroller
7b. Logister Comptroller
8b. Sage Logister

madprophet
27-09-2009, 15:13
The Administratum is the Imperial Civil Service, different departments have different ranks.

The IG, the Imperial Navy and the Arbites are all armed services but each has its own rank structure. The Imperial Guard rank structure is given in the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer. Also check my website at http://www.starbase10.com/gilead/ranks.htm for an interpretation of IG ranks

Argastes
27-09-2009, 16:44
The IG/Navy/etc. are parts of the DM in the same way that the US Army, Air Force, etc. are part of the Department of Defense. As already pointed out, each service has a different system of ranks, and then the 'civilian' administrative component of the DM probably has it's own system that is non-military in nature and similar to the system used elsewhere in the Administratum. A real-life parallel is that not all DOD employees are military personnel with military ranks, many of them are civilian employees of the federal government and have GS pay grades like any other government employee. The 'ranks' used within the DM's administrative structure are going to be different than the ranks used by the IG or any of the other military services the DM includes, and in answer to the OP's question, I don't think that the background has ever given us much specific info about them.

MajorWesJanson
28-09-2009, 00:45
The Munitorum has at least a Lord/Lady General Rank, as demonstrated by Jenet Sulla.

Argastes
28-09-2009, 01:03
Hmm, I know Lexicanum is sometimes unreliable, but looking over some info there, it seems to suggest that the Departmento Munitorum does not actually include the Navy, but only the IG. If this is true, it's less analogous to the modern DOD than I suggested in my previous post. This also explains why the Lord Commander Militant of the Imperial Guard is said to represent the DM in the High Lords, which wouldn't make much sense if the DM also included the Navy.

EDIT: MajorWesJanson, properly speaking, isn't Lord General an IG rank? I know the IG and the DM are linked, obviously, but that doesn't necesarily mean that an IG rank is the same as a DM rank. The DM seems to be the bureaucracy responsible for organizing and coordinating the IG, and while many DM offices are apparently filled by IG, they aren't entirely the same thing.

NightrawenII
28-09-2009, 22:19
In Planetstrike is mentioned a Gunchamberlain (pg 62. Vorlinghast bane). No sure what is his job.

madprophet
01-10-2009, 04:01
In Planetstrike is mentioned a Gunchamberlain (pg 62. Vorlinghast bane). No sure what is his job.

A Chamberlain is an officer who manages the household of a sovereign or noble or a chief steward or a treasurer. A Gunchamberlain would therefore be the manager or chief steward of a gun.
:cool:

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
01-10-2009, 04:17
Yeah, Infantryman's Uplifting Primer is the source to go to. Besides, it's totally rad! If no one posts the info by tomorrow morning, I'll share it with you. Too tired to find book...

MajorWesJanson
01-10-2009, 05:19
Hmm, I know Lexicanum is sometimes unreliable, but looking over some info there, it seems to suggest that the Departmento Munitorum does not actually include the Navy, but only the IG. If this is true, it's less analogous to the modern DOD than I suggested in my previous post. This also explains why the Lord Commander Militant of the Imperial Guard is said to represent the DM in the High Lords, which wouldn't make much sense if the DM also included the Navy.

EDIT: MajorWesJanson, properly speaking, isn't Lord General an IG rank? I know the IG and the DM are linked, obviously, but that doesn't necesarily mean that an IG rank is the same as a DM rank. The DM seems to be the bureaucracy responsible for organizing and coordinating the IG, and while many DM offices are apparently filled by IG, they aren't entirely the same thing.

Yes Lord General is an IG rank. Still, if I could find my Cain Omnibus, I'd get you the quote. It mentions Lady General Jenet Sulla, who was a Lieutenant and later a Captian in the 597th Valhallan regiment, later being a Munitorum officer. It's mentioned in one of the amberly notes.

NightrawenII
01-10-2009, 08:41
Lord General is both IG and Munitorum rank. Read the Siege of Vraks, upper echelons of IG command are in charge of planning, regiments requests and supply of Imperial campaings.

Idaan
01-10-2009, 09:15
It might be semantics, but shouldn't all ranks above Colonel (or equivalent) be Munitorum only ranks, although ones that could be gained by Guard personel too? A regiment with a colonel is the biggest military body raised by the planetary governments, while everything higher is created and governed by federal authority, ie Adeptus Terra and Munitorum, so that the regiment level is where the federal and local military structures meet.