PDA

View Full Version : Starter Dark Elf 2250 List

Harbinger09
26-09-2009, 22:56
Hey everyone, I am a relatively experienced WoC player, and after some time at my club with the employees and my friends I've decided to try collecting and playing with Dark Elves as my second army. Here is the list we drew up, please feel free to comment and critique.

Supreme Sorceress- 357 pts
-Level 4, Darkstar Cloak, Dispel Scroll, Pendant of Khaeleth, Dark Steed

Sorceress-185 pts
-Level 2, Sacrificial Dagger, Dispel Scroll

Master- 157 pts
-Sword of Might, BSB, Armor of Darkness, Dark Steed

20 Warriors-155 pts
-Shields, Full Command

10 Repeater Crossbowmen-100 pts

5 Dark Riders-117 pts
-Repeater Crossbows, Musician

5 Cold One Knights-159 pts
-Dread Knight-Null Talisman, Musician

15 Black Guard- 280 pts
-Full Command, Standard of Hag Graef, Soulrender of Tower Master

15 Black Guard- 255 pts
-Full Command, Crimson Death on Tower Master

5 Shades-95 pts
-Great Weapons, Repeater Crossbows

2 Reaper Bolt Throwers- 200 pts

War Hydra- 175 pts

Total: 2250 pts

Rubicon
27-09-2009, 00:31
Out of interest, how hard do you want the list to be?

Harbinger09
27-09-2009, 03:07
Pretty tough, I would like my DEs to be pretty tough without being ridiculously cheesy

artyboy
28-09-2009, 04:59
At 2250 I always run 2 level 2 sorcs and a dreadlord. I usually manage to fit an assassin and a master in on top of that.

For starters take a dreadlord w/ armor of eternal servitude or armor of darkness with pendant of khaeleth rather than a supreme sorc. That setup seems cheesy at first because they're so hard to kill but their cheap weapon selections suck so they don't do much damage if you choose to make him "unkillable". They're all about denying your opponent combat res and shutting down really killy models.

Dark elves don't really need magic. Against certain enemies it can be really really good but against others it's pretty lackluster. If you must take a level 4 sorc then just take Morathi. You want her to be mounted on a pegasus, anyway. Dark riders are waaay too easy to take down once your enemy focuses on them so they won't provide much protection for a level 4 sorc. Morathi's bonuses really make her worth her points. She also has 3 attacks as does her pegasus so she can do some damage in combat if you need to use her for support.

I used the sac dagger sorc in a unit of spearmen for a while but to be honest it's a pretty lackluster unit. It does work from time to time but a lot of times you end up with spells where you don't even need the extra power dice. The sorc is much more versatile on a pegasus. Give her a darkstar cloak and you have the extra power dice every turn that you might have gotten from killing a spearman. Granted, the mechanics of the sac dagger do make it much better. You still have to buy a pretty crappy unit and put your sorc inside of it to make use of it. Put your sorc on a pegasus, drop the spearmen and add a unit of RxBmen or another unit of dark riders. I, personally, prefer dark riders. They're much more mobile so it's much easier to get them into position to shoot at whatever you want. The limited range of RxBs isn't much of a factor with them, either. I do run a sorc on foot but I usually just put her in a xbow unit and I make sure that chillwind is one of her spells. She only gets two dice, anyway, so it's useful to hamper an opponent's shooting most of the time.

Put the master on a cold one and stick him in the cold one unit or stick him in a unit of black guard. He'll be much more effective in either one of those places. Dark riders are for harassing units with shooting and lending support to combats that you already have a good chance of winning. Give the master 3 null talismans and call it good. You might also give him blood armor but he's already got a 1+ with regular heavy armor, shield, cold one and sea dragon cloak (unless he's on foot then the blood armor is almost a must). Deathpiercer or Caledor's Bane might also be an option if he's mounted. Lifetaker is useful either way. So is the Hydra Blade. It just depends on what you think you'll be up against.

Just run one unit of black guard. I usually run them 18 strong 6x3. As soon as I can find two more models I'll start running them 4x5. They really need the extra rank and the rank and file don't do enough damage to warrant running them 6x3. Always give them the banner of hag graeth. I always have a hard time deciding between the ring of hotek and crimson death for the champion. The ring is better for the whole army. The crimson death gives them some serious oomph in combat. I usually go for the ring of hotek since they're good enough in combat to not really need the crimson death. They're an extremely durable unit that's easy to stick in the middle of the field so they're a great candidate for the ring. They're there to absorb damage. They don't deal that much damage but they'll probably do enough damage to reduce the amount that their opponent does to them. They're also stubborn so they'll surely hold for at least a round or two.

So what would I do?

285 Dreadlord - Pendant of Khaeleth, Armor of Eternal Servitude, 2 Null Talismans, Lance, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cold One (in cold ones)

150 Sorceress - Level 1, Dispel Scroll, Dispel Scroll (In Xbowmen)

225 Sorceress - Level 2, Pegasus, Darkstar Cloak, Tome of Furion

151 Assassin - AHW, Manbane, Rending Stars (in 1 shade unit)

100 10 Repeater Xbowmen

117 5 Dark Riders - Musician, RxBs

117 5 Dark Riders - Musician, RxBs

215 5 Cold Ones - Full Command, Banner of Cold Blood, Pearl of Infinite Bleakness

329 18 Black Guard - Full Command, Banner of Hag Graeth, Ring of Hotek

90 5 Shades - Great Weapons

90 5 Shades - Great Weapons

175 Hydra

200 2 Reaper Bolt Throwers

Paraelix
28-09-2009, 06:46
Is there a Dark Elf player out there not using Black Guard? Or one not using Hydra + 2 RBTs/2 hydras?

Also, is there are reason to making the Lord regen when he's already so tough? Why not just be annoying and use a fun weapon, Chillblade for example?

EndlessBug
28-09-2009, 11:40
Executioners axe is a nice alternative to the Pendant/Regen lord.

Other than that, PErsonaly changes I'd make to the list are:

Supreme Sorceress- 350 pts
-Level 4, Black Staff, Pendant of Khaeleth

Sorceress-185 pts
-Level 2, Darkstar Cloak, Dispel Scroll

Assassin - 126 (goes in the Bo Murder BG unit)
- AHW, Rune of Khaine

19 Warriors-148 pts
-Shields, Full Command

10 Repeater Crossbowmen-100 pts

5 Dark Riders-117 pts
-Repeater Crossbows, Musician

5 Cold One Knights-159 pts
-Dread Knight-Null Talisman, Musician, Std - Slaughter

14 (2x7) Black Guard- 267 pts
-Full Command, Standard of Hag Graef, Soulrender on Tower Master

14 (2x7) Black Guard- 280 pts
-Full Command, Crimson Death on Tower Master, Banner of Murder

5 Shades-90 pts
-Great Weapons, Repeater Crossbows

2 Reaper Bolt Throwers- 200 pts

War Hydra- 175 pts

Total: 2250 pts

Black staff/darkstar cloak combo should be more effective offensively than the previous setup, though you're losing a scroll for this setup, the staff will essentially give you an extra spell cast per turn (high level as well). Sacrificial dagger requires a decent size unit of warriors, at 20 strong atm, a few daggers later you'll be severely weakened, either make the unit 25 or drop the dagger, I suggest the later. Your master BSB wont do much as he is, you'd be better grabbing a Assassin for some ASF RnF killing on the 2nd BG unit. SoSlaughter will help the CoKs on a charge, or hold against one if you get caught out.

artyboy
28-09-2009, 12:46
Is there a Dark Elf player out there not using Black Guard? Or one not using Hydra + 2 RBTs/2 hydras?

Also, is there are reason to making the Lord regen when he's already so tough? Why not just be annoying and use a fun weapon, Chillblade for example?

I make the lord as tough to kill as possible because it tends to discourage my opponents from coming after him. If they do then he can usually survive anything. Just giving him regen is OK most of the time but if you fight something that hits hard with flaming attacks then he probably won't have an armor save at all. T3 means that anything can sneeze on him and kill him so stacking saves is very important. If you want to go "fun weapon" with him then just give him the blood armor and an executioners axe and put him in an ASF unit. Chillblade is pretty good but against some armies you'll have a hard time wounding.

I've seen people run dark elves without black guard but they're so good that it's hard not to. You have to commit too many resources to make executioners nearly as good. If I don't run black guard then it's because I'm playing a highly mobile list with lots of shooting. Always max your rare choices. Repeater bolt throwers and hydras are both way too good not to fit into your list.

pringles978
29-09-2009, 14:49

why would you want to hamper yourself by not taking the good units you have available in your army book? seems strange not to.

i think endless list just edges out the ops, but only just. its a good solid list.

i would go for the banner of hag graef on the black guard, everyone seems to be taking it and its made of win

Paraelix
30-09-2009, 00:41
Executioners axe is a nice alternative to the Pendant/Regen lord.

Shove him in a black guard unit and you're laughing. I've seen it done... Barring assassins/HE lords, nobody else can get ASF and beat your Initiative. And fighting say, chaos lords... S10 ignores their armour an if they fail a ward you're causing D3 wounds. Well worth the 80 pts