PDA

View Full Version : Anvil of Doom question

Darkfang74
27-09-2009, 08:54
Ok, had a discussion today about an Anvil of Doom and Thorek Ironbrow.

I have seen Lists at tournies and such that had 2 Anvils and was told you could do so as The first anvil is bought and is legal, now if you also take Thorek as he DOES NOT say he takes the armies 0-1 anvil as he is a special character and it says he "Brings his own"

So here's the question I'm looking for the "legal" answer for (and a possible location to find and print said answer) to see if you are indeed only allowed 1 anvil no matter what, or if the special character indeed allows for 2 as he's a Character.

Thank you muchly!

TAW
27-09-2009, 09:08
The Dwarf army book clearly states under Torek's entry that "he always brings his own..." but it also clearly states that "This workds exactly as described in the Special Rules sections with the additions noted below".

Now I would assume that this still entitles the army to the 0-1 choice that is normally in an army.

T10
27-09-2009, 09:16
This is legal: Any single one of your Rune Lords (as per the character entry on p. 50) can take an Anvil of Doom. Thorek may be a legendary Rune Lord, but he isn't "built from scratch" out of that character selection.

The Anvil itself isn't a unit, so the "0-1" restriction is kind of misleading.

-T10

WLBjork
28-09-2009, 08:35
An army limit of 0-1 is exactly that, whether it's on a special character or not.

Only a maximum 1 Anvil in a Dwarf Army.

Milgram
28-09-2009, 15:05
This is legal: Any single one of your Rune Lords (as per the character entry on p. 50) can take an Anvil of Doom. Thorek may be a legendary Rune Lord, but he isn't "built from scratch" out of that character selection.

The Anvil itself isn't a unit, so the "0-1" restriction is kind of misleading.

-T10

any single one of your o&g characters may take the kickin' boots. but not in the same army. it is not 0-1 per rune lord as it is e.g. with skaven slaves.

stripsteak
28-09-2009, 16:59
pg 30. 'A Dwarf army may have one and only one Anvil of Doom'

T10
28-09-2009, 17:13
any single one of your o&g characters may take the kickin' boots. but not in the same army. it is not 0-1 per rune lord as it is e.g. with skaven slaves.

I have no idea of what kind of point you are trying to make.

Unlike magical items, Anvil of Doom does not have a specific one-per-army limit. It is 1) made available to all Rune Lords in your army but 2) only one Rune Lord in your army may take it.

You may point to the "0-1 Anvil of Doom" header all you like, but it isn't the complete rules the anvil. It's one of the "memory joggers" mentioned in the Forces of the Dwarfs: Unit Entries section.

In short: you are limited to taking no more than one Anvil of Doom as an upgrade for your Rune Lords, but it doesn't say that your army is under the same restriction.

I've said my bit so I don't expect having to repeat myself.

-T10

stripsteak
28-09-2009, 17:20
In short: you are limited to taking no more than one Anvil of Doom as an upgrade for your Rune Lords, but it doesn't say that your army is under the same restriction.

see post above, the anvil rules do state your army is only allowed one.

T10
28-09-2009, 18:05
see post above, the anvil rules do state your army is only allowed one.

Heh. Missed that.

Kudos for digging up an clear and unambiguous rule!

Too bad they decided to "hide" an rule specific to army composition in the bestiary. But as they say: the army rules aren't completely repeated in the army list section.

I hereby recant my previous statements, and my catholisism as well.

-T10