PDA

View Full Version : [1000pnt] vampire counts

darklord2005
17-01-2006, 00:55
Vampire Thrall 140pts (Hero)

Base: Hand weapon
Options: Shield; Blood Dragon; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Sword of Battle; The Gem of Blood

Necromancer 150pts (Hero)

Options: Level 2 Wizard; Dispel Scroll(x2)

Necromancer 162pts (Hero)

Options: Level 2 Wizard; Power Stone(x2)
Mount: Barded Nightmare

Units

20 x Skeletons 235pts (Core)

Base: Hand Weapon; Shield
Options: Light Armour; Spear (Infantry); Musician; Standard Bearer

20 x Skeletons 215pts (Core)

Options: Light Armour; Musician; Standard Bearer

4 x Fell Bats 80pts (Special)

Base: none
Options: none

timtimmy
17-01-2006, 01:45
Just a heads up but you should move this to army lists, as for the army since i'm here i'll comment :)

Why not drop the hand weapon skeleton unit down to 10 guys with full command and use the points to bring ghouls? fear causeing skirmishers are nasty at 1,000 and they can do lots of damage, plus they can march :) also take your necromancer off the horse since he is a different size he can be targeted much easier(not totally sure about the targeting rule).

darklord2005
17-01-2006, 02:07
i only have one on a nightmare because the blister pack came with 1 on foot and 1 mounted i couldnt really afford to spend money on another necromancer blister pack i will probabley be getting some ghouls next time i go to GW and skeletons should be in big units because they are not that strong so taking a unit of 10 wouldnt be a very good idea

timtimmy
17-01-2006, 02:08
you take 10 then summon more to fill out the unit, thus saving you points to spend on things you can't just create out of thin air :) seems like a pretty good way to save points to me

darklord2005
17-01-2006, 02:46
it is a good idea but if your versing something like saurus warriors that are hardhitting in H2H combat they will take out the unit pretty fast

timtimmy
17-01-2006, 04:21
Ya, but you have 2-3 turns to summon enough guys that the saurus can't kill that fast. Say you cast the second level spell(7+ ?) successfully once per magic phase, that is an average of 12 models in two turns or 18 in 3, if it goes off twice(extreme luck here but possible at 1k) then you are really set

darklord2005
17-01-2006, 04:28
cant argue with you there raising the dead is sooo awsome and i forgot about the slow movement of the saurus warriors and the cold-blooded rule

Arnizipal
17-01-2006, 13:37
Some general remarks:

Why did you give your vampire a great weapon and a magic weapon? He can't use both. In fact he'll always have to use the magic weapon.

I see you have taken two dispel scrolls and two power stones. Nice choice, but consider giving each necromancer one of each so you don't lose all your dispel scrolls if one necromancer gets killed.
Also, you might want to drop a power stone for the Book of Arhkan. A free Vanhel's Dance Macabre per turn can come in real handy.

darklord2005
17-01-2006, 23:19
sounds good what do you think i should have a great weapon or sword of battle because if i get rid of that and keep my great weapon i could give him master strike. and with the necromancers if i was to give 1 of them book of arhkan i would either have to give up a power stone or dispel scroll which one would it be.

P.S what does Vanhel's Dance Macabre do?? or is it in the army book

Arnizipal
18-01-2006, 01:32
It's in the army book. The number 5 necromantic spell to be more precise. Basically it gives a unit a free 8" move/charge in the magic phase. Very handy to move units you just raised into combat (preferably in a flank or rear).

Personally, if on foot I equip my vampires with an extra hand weapon. it gives an extra attack an is a lot cheaper than the sword of battle. A vampire has S5 which is pretty impressive, so he doesn't really need a great weapon. This way you can also benefit from the vampire's high Initiative.

Dispel scrolls are somewhat handier than power stones, so I'd drop a power stone. Scrolls can stop a spell that could be very damaging to your troops. See them as a 'get out of jail free card'.
Power stones are handy, but if you can't get a spell off you could always try again next turn. Also, when using power stones you can't get irrisistable force, though you still can miscast, so they're a bit of a risk.

darklord2005
18-01-2006, 03:58
thanx alot what would be my next purchase for my army do u think??

m1s1n
18-01-2006, 04:31
Your fell bats will help to prevent marching, but there are other units that can do this as well. Ghouls, for example. There is a thread in the tactics page about Ghouls, and a lot of really good players swear by them.

You really need to determine what type of force you are planning on building--that way you can decide what objectives you need to fulfill. If do not know what you are trying to accomplish, or need to do you have more problems down the road.

darklord2005
18-01-2006, 04:59
well the main army i will be versing is lizardmen because my friend plays them so i want a fast-flanking army so im kinda wanting to take my 2 units of skeletons down the centre having my thrall in one of the units have the mages by themselfs in the rear to keep on raising my skeletons. the unit of 4 fell bats mage hunting and that everything i have at the moment so maybe i should by some hard-hitting black knights to flank charge and help out my skeletons

does this sound like a good idea??

Arnizipal
18-01-2006, 17:38
Sounds good. Just watch out your necromancers don't get hit by spells/skink blowdarts while out on their own.

darklord2005
18-01-2006, 22:23
thanx how many black knights should i have in my unit

Arnizipal
19-01-2006, 01:17
In 1000 points games heavy cav (like Black Knights) are rather powerful, so I'd say if you take them stick with one unit of say five or six (possibly with a vamp or Wight Lord inside)

Dark_Blade
19-01-2006, 01:48
I would take the bound item for vanhels and also I would take the book on your thrall with the flayed huberk. These will make your guys alot more eurvivsable with most guys hitting the thrall on 5s and possibler 6s and hittingyour skeleis on 4s can really help. Sorry if these combos are illegal dont have book on me

Arnizipal
19-01-2006, 02:08
Sorry if these combos are illegal dont have book on me
Yeah it is. The Cursed book (-1 to enemy WS) is 50 points, the maximum amount of points a thrall can take. I give it to my Vampire Count from time to time, but I prefer bloodline abilities.

The Flayed Hauberk is nice though. Too bad you can't combine it with Master Strike on a thrall. It's really a choice between offence or defence.

darklord2005
19-01-2006, 05:21
well i prefer playing an offencive game im not really a defence player. i will play defence if i have to in certain situation but mostly i try to punch down on the enemy. so something that can get into battle quick and pack a punch

so when i go up to GW next time ill upgrade my list from 1000pnts to 1500pnts the draft for my list looks like this

Vampire Thrall 138pts (Hero)

Options: Blood Dragon; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; The Gem of Blood; Blood Dragon - Master Strike

Necromancer 150pts (Hero)

Options: Level 2 Wizard; Dispel Scroll (x1); Power Stone(x1)

Necromancer 162pts (Hero)

Options: Level 2 Wizard; Dispel Scroll(x1); Book of Arkhan
Mount: Barded Nightmare

Units

30 x Skeletons 335pts (Core)

Options: Light Armour; Spear (Infantry); Musician; Standard Bearer

30 x Skeletons 315pts (Core)

Options: Light Armour; Musician; Standard Bearer

5 x Black Knights 215pts (Special)

Base: Hand weapon; Lance; heavy armour; shield
Options: Standard Bearer; Champion; Musician; Banner of Doom

4 x Fell Bats 80pts (Special)

1 x Banshee 90pts (Rare)

Total Points 1485

I dont have my army book with me atm so im not sure if i can take 2 special choices in a 1500 point game

feedback much appriciated