Dark Riders (5)
Repeater Crossbows

Special
Cold One Knights (5)
Full Command
Standard of Slaughter
Black Guard (12)

Total: 1005

Just starting out on my dark elves and was looking for some tips on how I should expand my existing force to 1000 (and perhaps beyond). The models listed are the models I have, so id prefer to keep these in if possible. Its looking a little weak/small at the minuite with only the 4 units, so I was pondering perhaps some Dark Riders whom which could be accompanied by a sorceress on dark steed at a later date when I up my points cap.

Thanks

EndlessBug
27-09-2009, 23:33
Master wont do much with that setup, I'd suggest getting a mage with darkstar cloak instead. Bo Murder for the warriors will boost the assassins effectiveness inside the unit, also consider giving him rune of Khaine (+d3 attacks). 5 Harpies would be useful as well (cheaper than Dark Riders). To make space for this, drop 2 Executioners and the master. If you'd rather the Dark Riders to harpies then drop the Executioners command for the points. My list would look something like this:

Sorceress
lvl 2, darkstar cloak

Core
Dark Elf Warriors (20)
Shields
Full Command, Banner of Murder
Dark Elf Assassin
Rune of Khaine, Additional Hand Weapon
Dark Elf Crossbowmen (10)
Harpies (5)

Special
Cold One Knights (5)
Full Command
Standard of Slaughter
Executioners (12)
Full Command

Total: 999

p.s. 12 Black Guard would be better than 12 Executioners but as you have the models...

Vipus
28-09-2009, 13:08
Luckily I only have 5 executioners so buying the black guard and using them instead would be a viable option.

Ill update the list when i get home to include the BG and some DRs. However in the meantime are there any suggestions as to how i should expand the list to 1500 or 2000?

EndlessBug
28-09-2009, 13:40
If you're getting the BG then I'd suggest soemthing like this:

Sorceress (warrior unit)
lvl 2, darkstar cloak

Core

19 Dark Elf Warriors
Shields

Dark Elf Assassin (Black Guard unit)
Rune of Khaine, Additional Hand Weapon

10 Dark Elf Crossbowmen

5 Harpies

Special

5 Cold One Knights
Full Command,Standard of Slaughter

11 Black Guard
Full Command

Total: 996

To expand to 1500:
add:
Master (120)
- Soul Render, Armour of Darkness

Hag Graef and Crimson Death on the Black Guard (60)

Scroll on the Sorceress (25)

Assassin goes in the warriors instead now.

1 Hydra (175)

Cloak of Twighlight on Assassin (20)

5 Dark Riders (85)

shields on the RxB Elves (10)

So 1500 would look like:

Master (BG unit)
- Soul Render, Armour of Darkness

Sorceress (warrior unit)
lvl 2, darkstar cloak, dispel scroll

Core

19 Dark Elf Warriors
Shields

Dark Elf Assassin (Warrior unit)
Rune of Khaine, Additional Hand Weapon, cloak of Twighlight

10 Dark Elf Crossbowmen
- shields

5 Dark Riders

5 Harpies

Special

5 Cold One Knights

11 Black Guard
Full Command, Hag Graef, Crimson Death

Hydra

Total: 1495

For 2000, 2 RBTs would be good, another sorceress with focus familiar and a scroll. Change the Armour of Darkness to a Pendant of Khaeleth, also give him a SDC and heavy armour. 2 more BG. Drop shields on the RxB and grab another DR unit. The list would look as follows:

Master (BG unit)
- Soul Render, Pendant of Khaeleth, SDC, heavy armour

Sorceress (warrior unit)
lvl 2, darkstar cloak, dispel scroll

Sorceress
lvl 2, Dispel scroll, focus familiar

Core

19 Dark Elf Warriors
Shields

Dark Elf Assassin (Warrior unit)
Rune of Khaine, Additional Hand Weapon, cloak of Twighlight

10 Dark Elf Crossbowmen

5 Dark Riders

5 dark Riders

5 Harpies

Special

5 Cold One Knights

13 Black Guard
Full Command, Hag Graef, Crimson Death

Hydra

2 RBTs

Total: 1999

Vipus
28-09-2009, 17:29
Just before I update the list:

If I can fit in some Dark Riders, is it worth giving them repeaters or is it just a waste for such a light unit?

Also as im a novice to the tabletop game, where is it best to put the Sorceress? I know you have stated that she would fit in the warrior unit but wouldn't that leave her a little vulnerable? Ive read several battle reports and ive seen most people mount her up and shove her in with some Dark Riders.

artyboy
28-09-2009, 17:55
I usually mount my sorceresses on pegasus. You can put her in warrior units. If you do that make sure you take a sacrificial dagger. You can also put her on a steed and run her in a unit of dark riders. Don't be afraid to break her away from the unit if the opportunity presents itself.

As for the dark riders, repeaters are what make them such a great unit. They have a 360 degree fire arc. They can march (18") and shoot. They're great flankers. A unit of 5 with a musician costs less than a unit of warriors. I don't take warriors at all, anymore. Xbowmen, harpies and dark riders are the only core that I use.

Vipus
28-09-2009, 23:02
Updated the list. Taken the points you both made on board and tried to make a list I like with them. 5 points over so itll need a bit of fiddling around, is 10 BG a little too small a unit to field as that can be an option.

artyboy
28-09-2009, 23:36
If you're going to run black guard you really should, if nothing else, give them a standard bearer with the banner of hag graeth.

If it were me I'd drop the warriors, throw in another 10 man xbow squad, put the sorc on a dark steed to run with the dark riders and give the black guard the ASF banner.