PDA

View Full Version : Casket of Souls

iluvatar18
27-09-2009, 23:42
So I just purchased a casket of souls, and man does it remind me of Indiana Jones.

Anyways, I have a couple tactic/rules questions about it.

Does my liche priest retain his one power a turn with the casket or is the only power he can use a turn the casket? Does a Liche High Priest get to use 2 powers and the casket? 1 power and the casket? Or just the casket?

And tactically, depending on the question above, is it smarter to put a priest or high priest on the casket?

Zujara
28-09-2009, 00:05
You can use your full number of powers with the Liche Priest, think of the Casket as a bound item with 2d6 power. I wouldn't put a High Priest in a Casket since you want it where enemies can see it and having one die to shooting sucks.

Put it near your Catapults and Archers with a Liche Priest on it.

Darkangeldentist
28-09-2009, 00:06
The caskets power is in addition to the priest's normal incantation(s). However it always happens at the very end of the magic phase. Regardless of when the priest casts his the casket goes last.

It's smarter to put a priest on it. High priest will be your hierophant and there's no need to risk him by sticking him in one place.

Good luck with it. (Remember to have your eyes shut when the casket opens.:p)

Enigmatik1
28-09-2009, 01:11
Never put a HLP on a Casket. His two incantations are better served elsewhere. The only time I can conceivably see breaking this is in games of 3k+ and you're running HLPx2, SSCx2 and CoS. Even then, I probably wouldn't. But having those three rare choices in one strategic area and having one model to incant both SSCs could be useful...but I still wouldn't do it.

The Casket of Souls primary purpose is to draw out dispel dice making your other incantations more likely to be dispelled. Armies with dicey leadership will save 3-4 dice and scroll it liberally to make sure this thing never goes off. If you field it, don't count on it going off and treat it like Christmas if it does. :D

iluvatar18
28-09-2009, 01:27
Well, thanks for the quick answers. One other question, do people actually take the casket?

And do people ever get it off? Or is it 165 points for your enemy to waste a bunch of dispel dice and second guessing what they dispel?

Zujara
28-09-2009, 01:35
I take the Casket, it rarely goes off due to people saving dispel dice for it but that's sort of the point. The effect is usually not as devastating as Ushabti or chariots being magically charged into a flank, but the potential it has scares a lot of people to focus on it.

Enigmatik1
28-09-2009, 01:47
Well, thanks for the quick answers. One other question, do people actually take the casket?

And do people ever get it off? Or is it 165 points for your enemy to waste a bunch of dispel dice and second guessing what they dispel?

It's worth the points to me against every army out there except Dwarfs since they don't use magic (so the -1 to casting is useless) and their leadership is retardedly good across the board.

I've never had the Light of Death effect go off, but I don't care. No one other than Dwarfs and Elves (maybe) will throw less than 3 dice at it. These are dice not being thrown at Incantations/MWBDs! Plus, the -1 to casting has generally meant 3-4 spells per game that my opponent fails to cast. That alone is worth 165 points. The Casket of Souls is our best source of magic defense, which is otherwise VERY suspect.

Besides, 165 points on a Casket >>>> 180+ points on a Skeleton unit. ;)

Zujara
28-09-2009, 01:57
My Dark Elf friend saves 4 dice+ , since the first game I played against him with Tomb Kings he let it go off and I killed a bolt thrower crew, 5 cold one knights and his Sorc on Dark Pegasus with some lucky rolls. Definitely not a typical result, but the first time he had ever seen one so it left an impression :p

Maoriboy007
28-09-2009, 02:00
Lately I've iced a WoC Khorne chariot and a couple of Knights, and just recently, a BoC chariot.
It will almost never go off (most opponents will scroll and dice it into oblivion) and it rarely does much damage, but the few times that it pays off keeps people throwing the dispels at it, and thats what you want really.

iluvatar18
28-09-2009, 03:13
One other question, that doesn't pertain to the CoS but I don't want to start another thread.

Lets say you have 16 archers. Do you set them up as 1x16 or 2x8. I normally see the latter, but twhat do other people normally do? Just curious for my skeleton archers, because before this I've always been a pure combat army.

Zujara
28-09-2009, 08:19
If there's a hill, 2x8. Keep them near the Casket or Catapults as protection.

Keller
28-09-2009, 13:53
I don't play TK, but have played against it many times. The Casket is great, though obviously better against some armies than others.

Armies with many units will provide more oppertunities for wounds, and tend to have lower leadership as well, making it easy for the casket to pay for itself. Take my Empire army for example. Typically I have 3-4 combat units, each with 1-2 detachments, 2-3 artillery, 2 ranged units, and perhaps an odd character or whatnot. The combat units usually are boosted by the general, but the support units seldom are. That's 6-10 tests at Ld 9 max, ~6 more at base Ld 7. That's a lot of chances for casualties.

More elite armies, obviously, will have have fewer units with higher LD, making the casket less effective to cause wounds. My Dwarves tend to have about 7 units total, with a minimum Ld of 9. Not much chance for wounds there.

But, as other have pointed out, the -1 to cast is quite helpful too. This can save you from weathering more magic missiles and the like, allowing more movement/shooting encantations rather than replacing losses.

Although its a bit vulnerable to shooting, and requires a priest gets tied down possibly away from the rest of the army, I'd say the casket is a good buy much of the time. It will only take the place of one unit in your army, so it shouldn't be too hard to fit in, though I'd say its probably a better place in a defensive army than a fast chariot attack force.

One other question, that doesn't pertain to the CoS but I don't want to start another thread.

Lets say you have 16 archers. Do you set them up as 1x16 or 2x8. I normally see the latter, but twhat do other people normally do? Just curious for my skeleton archers, because before this I've always been a pure combat army.

Always string out archers to maximize your shooting when you can. If you can't bring all of your shots to bear on the enemy, you've bought too many and wasted points; especially in an army that can bring their dead back into play. You want to use 1 rank, 2 if you can get a hill.

Of course, stringing out ranged units can quickly take up a lot of space; something to account for in army selection. My Empire army usually runs 2 units of 12, each 12 models wide in most every case.

Odlox
28-09-2009, 14:03
If there is not a hill, go 15 wide, 14 if you place a character there (making it 15).

it takes one movementphase to reduce front with 5 two times, meking them 5x5x5x1, giving +2 rank bonus, with one dude to spare. thats sweet when the enemy are closing in on you.

if you go 16 wide, one movementphase reduces the front to 6, making the unit 6x6x4, giving you only +1 rank bonus and giving your opponent more attacks if he have a wide front.

I take skellie archers in units of 15 or 20, with full command if its 20. deploy them 15 wide (depending ofcourse on tarrain and space) and box them with rank bonus when you get a chance to Urgency them into a flank or front to deny charge, or to recieve a charge.