PDA

View Full Version : before the game starts: options

Da Crusha
28-09-2009, 01:29
ok at the last tournament I went to before the game started I told the guy that I will bring the lore of death because that is the lore that I wrote on my army sheet. he said that I didn't have to pick it until we're about to start, that way you can get a chance to see what your facing and can choose accordingly, one of his friends was there and confirmed it. well, I can't find anything about that in the rulebook. if this is indeed the way that it is supposed to be done I was wondering what other stuff can you choose immediately before the game starts? can you change equipment if its a free trade, like when the book says may exchange there great weapon for an additional hand weapon for free? if you have several characters that can be the general can you choose which one will it be at that moment?

Nurgling Chieftain
28-09-2009, 02:15
See the bottom of page 111's left column of the main rulebook. This describes the moment at which you decide which lore your wizards will take. The decision for who's the general (if your army list allows a choice) is made similarly.

Changing equipment, however, is changing your army list, regardless of whether or not the equipment costs the same.

Milgram
28-09-2009, 07:30
'before the game starts' is 'when you roll for the spells' when it comes to the lores. and the spells are rolled for after the terrain is set up but before deployment. so you do not actually know what your opponent will be fielding - besides the race he plays.

narrativium
28-09-2009, 10:01
How it tends to work at the tournaments I've been to - because people have to carry models from one table to another (on trays, but still) -

Both players gather at the table.
Units are identified, inclusive of command and armament, but excluding magic items and hidden things.
Terrain is identified. (This is difficult terrain, that's a 2-storey house, etc.).
Spells are rolled for - this includes choosing the lore.
Players roll for the choice of table side and deploying first; deployment happens.
Players roll for first turn.

So, if you see knights, you can pick Lore of Metal. That's legit.

Falkman
28-09-2009, 10:56
That's how I've always played as well, I know what the opponent is fielding before I choose my spells.

Atrahasis
28-09-2009, 11:03
You can also choose your general (if there is more than 1 eligible character) at the start of each game.

EvC
28-09-2009, 12:03
Spells should be rolled for just after rolling for and picking table sides, otherwise, perfect ;)

There's also things like announcing items like Bane Head, Sword of Fate, rolls for Chosen Warriors that fit in there somewhere but it rarely says precisely when.

Falkman
28-09-2009, 12:10
Spells should be rolled for just after rolling for and picking table sides, otherwise, perfect ;)
No, you roll for spells before deploying.

xragg
28-09-2009, 12:50
'before the game starts' is 'when you roll for the spells' when it comes to the lores. and the spells are rolled for after the terrain is set up but before deployment. so you do not actually know what your opponent will be fielding - besides the race he plays.

Ideally, this is the way to do it.

How it tends to work at the tournaments I've been to - because people have to carry models from one table to another (on trays, but still) -

Both players gather at the table.
Units are identified, inclusive of command and armament, but excluding magic items and hidden things.
Terrain is identified. (This is difficult terrain, that's a 2-storey house, etc.).
Spells are rolled for - this includes choosing the lore.
Players roll for the choice of table side and deploying first; deployment happens.
Players roll for first turn.

So, if you see knights, you can pick Lore of Metal. That's legit.

Often though, this is what happens. Typically it doesnt make much difference.

Right. You dont know which side of the table you have when rolling for spells. You pick your side of the table by deploying a unit (or forfeit the choice if you won the roll), which is after spells are already determined.

EvC
28-09-2009, 13:45

Please, either read the rulebook or trust in my ability to do it for you.

Although I am a little worried that three people have now all said the same thing that disagrees with me :o

xragg
28-09-2009, 13:51
pg 2 & 3

1-Set Up Terrain
(blah blah blah)

2-Select Spells
(blah blah blah)

3-Deploy for Battle
(blah blah)
*Both players roll a dice once more, the player who scores highest must deploy ... thereby, claiming that side of the table.

On a side note, I guess you cant forfeit the choice of sides (unless it written somewhere else). It may just be a throwback or something our group has always done.

EvC
28-09-2009, 14:08
So spells before that roll for table sides? Cheers, I shall try to remember that (correctly!) in the future. I know a lot of people like to do it "whoever rolls highest picks who plays first", but I think people are just about coming round to the idea that you have no choice: if you win the roll, you go first.

Falkman
28-09-2009, 14:59
Please, either read the rulebook or trust in my ability to do it for you.

Although I am a little worried that three people have now all said the same thing that disagrees with me :o
I have no idea if you're being sarcastic or not, but I read it over just before replying to you, to make sure I was right, and the steps are as xragg says, first set up terrain,
then roll spells, then roll to see who starts deploying (and thereby choose his table edge).
So I think it is you who should read your rulebook before going off like that ;)

Milgram
28-09-2009, 15:18
I have no idea if you're being sarcastic or not

probably just out of habit. :)

EvC
28-09-2009, 15:31
So I think it is you who should read your rulebook before going off like that ;)

Just being a bit silly, I'm happy to be shown the correct way to play :D

Da Crusha
28-09-2009, 23:42
cool, thanks for all the replies!