PDA

View Full Version : How do I make a competative DE list?

Rosstifer
28-09-2009, 01:20
Well, some people are going to hate me for this, but whats the best way to build a totally cheese 2250point Dark Elf army? My other two armys are WOC and BOC and both are friendly and uncompetative lists, and I want a change of scenery for an upcoming tournament. So, what should I take?

MTUCache
28-09-2009, 01:58
1.) Pendant on Almost Unkillable Lord (dragon is optional)
2.) 30+ RXB shots per turn
3.) 6-8 PD per turn plus Dagger (in a 6-pt warrior unit no less)
4.) Ring of Hotek
5.) ASF Black Guard
6.) Shades and Assassin w/ Rending Stars and Manbane
7.) Hydra and 2 RBTs

Couldn't get much easier with this army book. That'll take up about 3/4s of your list right there, you can fill the rest with basically whatever you want (I'd recommend Harpies and some Dark Riders, but any combination would work).

Make sure you bring a bucket of dice and a well-scripted explanation of why your version of the DE Cheese Factory isn't as cheesy as it could be. ;)

Rosstifer
28-09-2009, 02:05
So the pendant of kealeth and what else on the lord?

Kalec
28-09-2009, 02:18
Crimson Death and any suit of armor are popular. I like running Pendant, Potion of Strength, and Hydra Blade for kicks every now and then.

MTUCache
28-09-2009, 02:19
As long as you're going for the cheesefest, I like the Dragon option.

Sword of Might, Enchanted Shield, Pendant, and Potion of Strength gives a 2+ save, S5 attacks with one turn at S8 if you need it.

Armor of Eternal Servitude, Pendant is a decent combo for a more defensive setup (3+ save, but with regen roll), and leaves room for another toy or two (Lifetaker? etc)...

Personally I don't think it matters... the Assassin, Sorceresses, RBTs, and RXBs are going to win 80+ percent of your games for you. The Lord and Hydra are just there to give your opponent something worthwhile to aim their army at while they're getting shot to pieces on the way across the board. :p

sulla
28-09-2009, 05:34
Well, some people are going to hate me for this, but whats the best way to build a totally cheese 2250point Dark Elf army? My other two armys are WOC and BOC and both are friendly and uncompetative lists, and I want a change of scenery for an upcoming tournament. So, what should I take?
The DE list is pretty competitive right throughout. It might help if you listed the things you would like to take, and then tried to make a good list using them... Or you could just plug and play an internet list. Whatever works for you.

Rosstifer
28-09-2009, 06:40
Well, I have an unopened Morathi on pegasus blister, and a box of warriors. Hydras seem over expensive ($110 NZ dollars) so I'm not overly keen... Excecutioners look way better than Blackgaurd IMO but I hear they are not too great. I really like the look of solid blocks of warriors with shields though.

artyboy
28-09-2009, 12:44
I almost always take pendant and armor of eternal servitude on my lord. Put him on a cold one and he's got a 1+ armor save with a reverse ward save and regen. Put him on a dragon and he's still got a 3+ armor save. Potion of strength, lifetaker, crimson death and deathpiercer are all good choices to round him out with.

At least one sorc on a pegasus or a darksteed is almost a must. Give her a focus familiar and you can just sit her in a block of woods and shoot out all game. I prefer the pegasus just in case there isn't a suitable piece of terrain to hide her in. If you're going to run a level 4 sorc then just run Morathi.

It's a shame that warriors are so bad. They do look pretty cool. You're better off taking repeater xbowmen or dark riders, though. The same goes for executioners. If you want infantry just stick to shades and ASF black guard.

Max out your rare choices.

sulla
28-09-2009, 22:18
Well, I have an unopened Morathi on pegasus blister, and a box of warriors. Hydras seem over expensive ($110 NZ dollars) so I'm not overly keen... Excecutioners look way better than Blackgaurd IMO but I hear they are not too great. I really like the look of solid blocks of warriors with shields though. Morathi, or any sorceress on a dark peggy is a good, strong choice. If you want Executioners to work, you are going to have to invest in assassins or a death hag with BSB. A cauldron is good too but it may cramp your character slots if you want magic and a hag BSB. You can make a good army with executioners and a sorceress on a peggy though. I'd go for 2 units of about 14 executioners with an assassin in each. Make it an army that is primarily shooting/magic and use the executioners and the static CR of the warriors to mop up the survivors as they reach your lines. Using Exies too offensively is too dangerous IMO because they are too fragile to take on gunlines or knights without softening them up first.

(Yes BG are easier to use in any given situation, but you can make exies work.)

Philip Bright
29-09-2009, 05:53
In 2250 I run a Master as my general...

DE master:
heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, great weapon, pendant of khaeleth
127pts

this model can sustain almost anything and have quite good killing power with hatred and S6... Also the probability to wound this model is under 0.08 with characters with high strength and 0.04 with troops with high strength.