17-01-2006, 01:28
Lord:
Archmage (lvl.4, Book of Hoeth)

Heroes:
Mage (Annulian Crystal)
Mage (Sigil of Asuryan, Elf Steed)
Mage (2xScrolls, Elf Steed)

Core:
8 First Silver Helms(Std, Banner of Ellyrion, HvA, Sh)
5 Silver Helms( HvA, Sh)
5 Silver Helms( HvA, Sh)
10 Archers
10 Archers

Special:
10 Swordmasters( Std, Banner of Sorcery)

Rare:
2 Great Eagles
2 Repeater Bolt Throwers

pts:1987
models: 60
PD: 9+D3
DD: 7+1, 2 scrolls + Sigil

Now, this isn't the most original list in the world, nor is it all that flexible. But it has one good thing going: strong anti-magic, strong offensive magic and some really fast and durable cavalry. This list is put together primarily for the benefit of Brother Edwin, who is desperate for competition against is supposebly unbeatable 2nd gen. Slann army: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=426633#post426633
I will most likely post updates as soon as Brother Edwin has jotted down his army and taken measurments to counter this one. Hopefully it will stay about the same. The important piece is the archmage with the book, a rather good but expensive way of breaking through LM magic defences.

I'm unsure if a third mage is really necessary, some more troops or perhaps a commander(with reaver bow) on a eagle would be nice.Tooling up the mages with ringcombos( to fry skinks and destroy equipment) is another option. If anyone have some input on how to furher balance, or unbalance, this list then post away:)

timtimmy
17-01-2006, 01:40
what about being a real bastard and taking a lord, on an eagle(or even a dragon so you can move farther into the woods), with the nullity item that stops magic from being cast within 6 inches? your fly right up to the woods the slann is hiding in and then walk into the woods with the dragon slowly flushing him out while at the same time nullifying 500 points? the ring of item breaking(name?) would be great too since he'll use all his dispel scrolls early against this and won't be able to stop you from blowing up his 2+ward save, just some thoughts

Kroxhandler
17-01-2006, 02:30
what about being a real bastard and taking a lord, on an eagle(or even a dragon so you can move farther into the woods), with the nullity item that stops magic from being cast within 6 inches? your fly right up to the woods the slann is hiding in and then walk into the woods with the dragon slowly flushing him out while at the same time nullifying 500 points? the ring of item breaking(name?) would be great too since he'll use all his dispel scrolls early against this and won't be able to stop you from blowing up his 2+ward save, just some thoughts

You know...that's an evil and twisted idea...I like it. Null stone within 6" would push the Slann out of the woods if it isn't to be an ornamental figure, although it moves 4" you could probably trot after it using your trusty mount. Forking over the points for a dragon is a serious issue though, the list needs to be modded...hmmm..
One thing I'm worried about though is that the Archmage/Prince on a dragon/Griffon/Eagle is pretty stripped of armour, the hordes of skinks could actually be a threat.

Dark Lord
17-01-2006, 02:41
Take high magic, use comets all e way. its like the ultimate spell of some sort...

Kroxhandler
17-01-2006, 02:44
Take high magic, use comets all e way. its like the ultimate spell of some sort...

I was actually thinking about using High magic for the Fortune's fickle/arrow attraction and then Beast magic for the cavalry movement spells.

Dark Lord
17-01-2006, 02:47
That can work. But why do u want calvary movement for? This army should by right be played as anymagic heavy army. Weaken the army and only charge in when u know for sure u can break them.There is really little of no need ofr calvary spells IMO. i forgot the name but high elves do have an item or honour which allows u to choose his spells.Take that with the archmage and use high magic. U will definitely not regret it.

Fortunes'fickle and arrow attraction can be useful so take 2 mages with high and pray u roll for it.

Other than tt , it is a static army...

timtimmy
17-01-2006, 04:17
Well heavy armor and the enchanted shield for a lord would be enough i think to keep him alive, it's true that you would have problems with the skinks but the breath from the dragon, firepower from your bows and bt's and finally magic should be enough to make his skinks die out, he can only hide so many from a properly deployed force, and if he puts them all around the slann then take out his priests first using the same tactic while the silver helms and eagles dust off the skinks, then move in.

Eldacar
17-01-2006, 05:41
You can't use Comet of Casandora if you're taking High Magic. The Comet is a spell from the Lore of the Heavens, and I'd say that there are spells around that are better than that.

Oh, and I'd consider getting either one or both of the rings, to boost your offensive magic.

Kroxhandler
17-01-2006, 13:07
That can work. But why do u want calvary movement for? This army should by right be played as anymagic heavy army. Weaken the army and only charge in when u know for sure u can break them.There is really little of no need ofr calvary spells IMO. i forgot the name but high elves do have an item or honour which allows u to choose his spells.Take that with the archmage and use high magic. U will definitely not regret it.

Fortunes'fickle and arrow attraction can be useful so take 2 mages with high and pray u roll for it.

Other than tt , it is a static army...

I was thinking of using the Silver Helms for skink hunting, possibly use them in conjunction to smash up a unit of kroxigors or two. The real problem with the opposing army( which I will most likely never see:p ) is that a quarter of it is placed in the Slann and not much else. The slann will hide in woods for the entire game according to Brother Edwin, it would be nice to have some fast elements to work with when trying to force it out of the woods to be destroyed. Then again a dragon and eagles might work. Again the skinks are a potential hazard, against eagles mostly as they don't get much of a save and are auto-wounded on 6's(poison rule).

Major Defense
17-01-2006, 20:10
Check out the list I posted a few weeks back for another take on the Book of Hoeth.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20669

Lord Anathir
17-01-2006, 20:34
Lvl 4, 5 scrolls
Lvl 2, 2 Scrolls, channeller
(everyone heavens....comet and second sign all the way)
3x5 SH
1x5 DP + banner of ellyrion
as many chariots as possible.

laugh as he doesnt get any spells of all game....move forward and charge through his whole army....you got your dp for chasing down skinks peaking around the forest, etc.

C'tan
17-01-2006, 20:45
You have 13 points remaining. That's an extra swordsman. Do it.

Lord Anathir
17-01-2006, 20:46
Lvl 4, Book Of Hoeth
Lvl 2, Sacred Incense, power stone
Lvl 2, magic items as you wish...as long as you fill the points out.
Commander, BSB, Banner of World Dragon
3x 5 SH, no armor (dont expect them to live long)
50 White Lions with full command, banner of sorcery (deploy them backwards, in a corner, behind a hill, in a forest...put all the characters in there...you got a stubborn unit, immune to magic, negative one to hit on shooting, immune to panic, pumping a lot of IF power dice out).