PDA

View Full Version : GW TV ad?

CraftworldsRus
28-09-2009, 03:59
I have been hearing that GW has begun airing TV ads in the Chicago area(Makes a bit of sense as a test market, it has a Bunker and Games Day). I have yet to see one, and I remember GW being opposed to advertising in general and TV ads in particular. Has anyone seen this ad? I ask because I have heard someone say the ad "Killed their hobby". So, is it real? If so, is it a national or international ad, or just local? Is it really that bad? Thanks in advance.

Imperius
28-09-2009, 04:08
I highly doubt that GW has started this marketing technique now.
It would ruin the 'community' sense of the game also, remember in elementary school you spent so much money on Pokemon cards and then next year you never touched them? Warhammer 40,000 would become a game like that.

Word of mouth and possibly INTERNET advertising would work just as well, email spam for example could be used, or internet pop-ups, even those google ad spaces you see all the time.

Grimbad
28-09-2009, 04:10
There was one posted in Other GW recently that might be what you're talking about, I can't remember. Had the slogan 'real gamers play face-to-face'. Wasn't very good, but it's a cheap, local TV ad so you can't expect too much.

Leviathan2009
28-09-2009, 04:12
I can not find the video of it, but it was on Fox last Sunday.

I believe the store being shown was the Shorewood IL store. (south west suburbs of Chicago) it was the old store that I used to go to.

HsojVvad
28-09-2009, 04:16
I can not find the video of it, but it was on Fox last Sunday.

I believe the store being shown was the Shorewood IL store. (south west suburbs of Chicago) it was the old store that I used to go to.

Maybe it was the independant store that made the ad then, and not GW, but just the store to let themselves be know where it is.

CraftworldsRus
28-09-2009, 04:27
Oh dear god, it IS real, and in the "Other GW" section. I didn't even do a search because I though it was so implausible.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219353

I watched the youtube and died a little. I always pictured a GW having cool 3-D Space Marines or something, or at LEAST looking as good the Dawn of War expansions opening videos, which were just made with the gameplay engine. I honestly can, and have, made better videos for my college classes. Also, they are calling it a grand opening? That store was opened about four years ago! And they didn't even remodel or anything to justify a "grand re-opening."

Bunnahabhain
28-09-2009, 04:45
Maybe it was the independant store that made the ad then, and not GW, but just the store to let themselves be know where it is.

I'd bet this is the explanation. I can't believe GW would be going into TV advertising, but a local store might do some low cost stuff...

Templar Ben
28-09-2009, 05:51
Adverts screened before sci-fi/fantasy films would be a great target to try some of these. You buy time in :15 lengths and the cost here is $30 per screen per week with a four week buy.

Naturally GW would want to have a high quality production in such a case because of the number of views.

Condottiere
28-09-2009, 08:47
A badly produced advertisement will do more harm than none at all.