PDA

View Full Version : Empire- What do you consider cheesy?

Dakkapantz
28-09-2009, 06:04
Hey all,

I am just wondering what people regard as cheesy in an empire list, as far as a friendly game of warhammer. I am not saying that everyone playing against this list plays really fluffy lists, but are using at least slightly competetive lists(dual hydras, all Mark of nurgle, etc).

I have been thinking about including a War Altar and a steam tank in my 2250 list, but don't want to if everyone will think it's over the top. I personally dont consider the stank REALLY cheesy. If your opponent has a bolt thrower or cannon or two, then the steam tank is taken care of, as it reaches a point where you are very cautious generating steam points, and the stank wont be able to do much. I have never used the War altar, so I dont know how it works.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Peyton

ThePrecious
28-09-2009, 07:00
there is next to nothing you can do to make this army cheesy, go with what you want.

Overdoing steamtanks could get pretty bad but everything that can be overdone takes rare or lord choices so you are severely limited

Falkman
28-09-2009, 08:26
If your friends are using dual hydras I don't see anything wrong with you using altar + tank.

Nathangonmad
28-09-2009, 11:12
If your friends are using dual hydras I don't see anything wrong with you using altar + tank.

Or even alter + double stank

EndlessBug
28-09-2009, 12:36
S tanks really aren't that bad tbh. Once you've knocked a few wounds off them they're pretty redundant. I'd avoid Karl Franz, other than that do what you like.

Putty
28-09-2009, 13:18
Altar and dual Stanks is considered the staple for tournament lists because of all the other nasty stuff you will encounter at tournaments.

during CASUAL play, that combo is rarely seen unless the Empire player is practicing for a tournament

The normal casual Empire army will feature a few cannons, handgunners and swordsmen, knights and either a Stank or Volley gun.

Then again, Karl Franz is rather ridiculous so if you want to run him in a casual game, at least tell your opponent if it is it okay with him.

There is no cheese in TTMG really... there are only players who are surprised by a ultra competitive army during a casual environment and players who are inept players or are still new to the game.

Personally, I learn more from losses than wins and losing games and understanding why you did is a fast track to being a good Warhammer player.

Guard of Itza
28-09-2009, 13:55
Double tank, war alter or karl franz, one unit of inner circle knights (not always but sometimes), and a whole lot of cannons and hand-gunners.

At least this is what I have found to be used in tournament play with empire.

Turnabout
28-09-2009, 14:10
Master Engineer with Pidgeon Bomb.
Cheap(ish) unlimited range large blast wielding pidgeon, trained and bred from the aviary of death.

The best thing about it is, your opponent will never expect it.;)

danny-d-b
28-09-2009, 15:35
Cheap(ish) unlimited range large blast wielding pidgeon, trained and bred from the aviary of death.

that chease?

I'm playing this game all wrong then

Turnabout
29-09-2009, 03:12
Nah, I'm just a naive fledgling Empire player who has no idea what his talking about (yet) haha

Though it's always fun to experiment.

Lord Dan
29-09-2009, 04:26
Or you could take 4 engineers with pigeon bombs and hope to assassinate his characters before he knows what hit him.

Maoriboy007
29-09-2009, 08:36
Empire have much less cheese than most armies in todays climate, go for gold I reckon!

Lijacote
29-09-2009, 08:49
It depends on your playing environment. No, the Empire is not incapable of cheese. Just because tournaments and such feature ridiculous army builds doesn't mean you should go all-out all the time, every time.

My personal opinion however is that Altar + Steam Tank is not cheesy. Karl Franz and his retinue of tanks would be, however, pretty fromage.

Turnabout
29-09-2009, 09:15
More seriously, what everyone else has said seems right on the money.

Playing Empire, you should be more or less free to play any build without fear of being called cheese.

Then again... some people...

Dragon Prince of Caledor
29-09-2009, 15:44

lol nice :evilgrin:

PeG
29-09-2009, 17:13
at 2k or bigger Dragon+dual tanks is a bit to much for friendly games while for tournaments on any level feel free to bring whatever you want.

Maoriboy007
29-09-2009, 22:03
More than one Stank is about the only thing that can be called cheese. If on the other hand, your opponant cries chesse and than plonks down 2 Hydras, an immune to Magic Weapon Bthirster with Hatred, ASF KB Assasin-Hiding ITP Stubborn Units, Regenerating ASF GW Grave Guard or anything along those lines-feel free to tell him to get bent :)

Jericho
30-09-2009, 00:04
It all depends on the attitudes/gaming style of your opponents really. If it's friendly games then you don't need to worry too much since they'll let you know what's too much. For tournament play just try not to take the absolute nastiest thing you've ever heard of and people should be more or less appeased.

A friend of mine wants to take War Alter, a pair of L2's, a BSB with Griffon Banner inside Swordmasters, and then fill the rest of his armies with as many handgunners, Steam Tanks, cannons and Knights as humanly possible. Oh and a unit of Flagellants as Core just because he has the option to take them... That's the kind of thing that makes for an extremely boring game if you ask me.

I still think that, wherever possible, an army list should rely on the Core choices more than anything else. If you are spending as few points as possible so that you can double/triple up on all the nastiest Special and Rare slots then you will not exactly be the most popular girl at the dance.

Dakkapantz
30-09-2009, 00:43
I am amazed, as in my 2250 list I am spending over half my points on core:D. 3 units of 25 spearmen with detatchments, crossbowmen, huntsmen and knights really add up!

Cheers

Peyton