PDA

View Full Version : 'Ard Boyz Prelims 2009 for Dark Elves

Xaereth
28-09-2009, 05:42
I recently had the opportunity to play in the Fantasy 'Ard Boyz Prelims in Laramie, WY. We only had 6 total players, but it was enough. I was actually pretty happy there weren't many people playing, since that would give me a much better chance at placing. I'm predominately a 40k player, and though I play Fantasy every once in a while, I hadn't really played ANY Fantasy for about 6 months.
I was aided in the fact that the guys I normally play 40k with all decided they'd dust off their Fantasy armies as well, so of the 6 players in the tournament, 5 of us hadn't really played Fantasy for a long time. It was a bit awkward trying to get used to playing it again (all that wheeling and declaring charges at the start of the turn and such) and we had our share of rules debates since we were all so rusty, but we ended up having a lot of fun. This is a disclaimer as well: if you notice a rules discrepancy, feel free to point it out, but expect a few flaws, since none of us had played for so long. If I use a little 40k terminology, just bear with me, haha.
I brought a Dark Elf army, which is my only army for Fantasy. Here's the list:

HEROES: (1240 points)

Dreadlord on Dragon (564)
Dreadlord- 140
Dragon- 320
Armor of Eternal Servitude- 35
Crimson Death- 25
Pendant of Khaleth- 35
Shield- 3
Sea Dragon Cloak- 6

Dreadlord (251)
Dreadlord- 140
Ring of Darkness- 40
Chill Blade- 50
Heavy Armor- 6
Sea Dragon Cloak- 6
Extra Hand Weapon- 6
Shield- 3

Sorceress (150)
Sorceress (100)
Dispell Scroll (25)
Dispell Scroll (25)

Death Hag w/ Cauldron of Blood (275)
Death Hag- 90
Cauldron of Blood- 110
Rune of Khaine- 25
Witchbrew- 25
Battle Standard Bearer- 25

CORE: (878 points)

Dark Riders Squad (117)
5 Dark Riders- 85
5 Repeater Crossbows- 25
Musician- 7

Dark Riders Squad (117)
5 Dark Riders- 85
5 Repeater Crossbows- 25
Musician- 7

Dark Riders Squad (117)
5 Dark Riders- 85
5 Repeater Crossbows- 25
Musician- 7

Repeater Crossbow Squad (110)
10 Repeater Crossbowmen- 100
10 Shields- 10

Repeater Crossbow Squad (115)
10 Repeater Crossbowmen- 100
10 Shields- 10
Guardmaster- 5

Assassin (151)
Assassin- 90
Rending Stars- 30
Manbane- 25
Extra Hand Weapon- 6

Assassin (151)
Assassin- 90
Rending Stars- 30
Manbane- 25
Extra Hand Weapon- 6

SPECIAL: (355 points)

Black Guard Squad (355)
20 Black Guard- 260
Standard Bearer- 14
Standard of Hag Graef- 35
Musician- 7
Champion- 14
Ring of Hotek- 25

RARE: (525 points)

Hydra (175)

Hydra (175)

Hydra (175)

TOTAL: (2998 Points)

I'm not really sure if this is the most effective use for my points I could have had, but the basic plan was to use the creatures (a Dragon and 3 hydras) to flame/charge big infantry blocks (hydras can kill characters in Combat as well, without having to worry about challenges). The Black Guard would take on just about any other infantry block, and the Cauldron of Blood would support them, usually giving them +1A, or 5+ Ward if they weren't in combat yet.
The assassins I wanted to hang out in the crossbow squads and throw their ninja stars of death at monsterous creatures and lone characters, since they'd be hitting and wounding on 2's each time (the combo with Mansbane makes their Strength 2 higher than the target's toughness, making creatures with 5 and 6 toughness cower in fear, or so I like to think, haha).
As you can likely see, my list has very little magic defense in it (3 dispell dice, 2 dispell scrolls, and the Ring of Hotek), and I was pretty nervous about facing a magic-heavy army.
The general in my army was the 2nd Dreadlord in my list (I always put him in the Black Guard) so as to benefit from the Ring of Darkness protection (if someone shoots at the unit, they half their BS before they shoot).
Other armies showing up included a High Elf list with 7 Bolt Throwers and lots of crossbows and cavalry (he was the only 'just fantasy' player in the tournament), Vamp Counts, Stegadon Lizardmen (5 Stegadons!), a Goblin army (with 21 Fanatics!), and a Chaos Warriors army w/ Valkia.
They announced pairings and:

Game 1: Dark Elves vs. Vampire Counts

Here's his list:

Vampire Lord (General) w/ Dreadlance, Crown of the Damned, Red Fury, Beguile, Dread Knight, and Nightmare

Vampire w/ Sword of Might, The Flayed Hauberk, Talisman of the Lycni, Hunter in the Dark, Walking Death

Vampire (BSB) w/ Avatar of Death, Summon Gouls, The Drakenhof Banner

Vampire w/ Blood Drinker, Avatar of Death, Infinite Hatred

Vampire w/ Book fo Arkhan, Dark Acolyte, Avatar of Death

Corpse Cart w/ Unholy Lodestone

10 Crypt Ghouls w/ Gast
10 Crypt Ghouls w/ Ghast
20 Skeleton Warriors w/ War Banner, FC
20 Skeleton Warriors w/ Banner of Hellfire, FC
20 Grave Guard w/ Banner of the Barrows, FC
21 Zombies

5 Blood Knights w/ Flag of Blood Keep, FC

3 Cairn Wraiths w/ a Tomb Banshee (4 total)

I've heard that Vamp Counts are pretty scary, though I haven't really had the chance to play against them much. I was a little bit nervous, though, since he obviously had a lot more casting dice than I had dispell dice, and I was worried about me not being able to kill his troops as fast as he could regenerate them. So, from the start I decided I needed to kill his Vampires if I was going to win.

The Scenario:

You had to nominate a unit in your army to be the BSB if you didn't already have one. The unit they were in was considered Stubborn.

Massacre: Defeat your opponent by 2600 or more points (worth 20 points)
Major Victory: Defeat your opponent by 1900 or more points (worth 17)
Minor Victory: Defeat your opponent by 1200 or more points (worth 13)
Draw: Achieved if the margin of victory is 1000 points or less (worth 10 each)

Battle Point Modifiers
+1 If you Control your opponent’s Army Battle Standard at the end of the Game
+1 If your General is still alive
+1 If you killed the enemy’s General
+1 If you still control your own Army Standard
-1 If you have lost your Army Standard (or the nominated unit was destroyed)

He won the dice off to pick table sides, and since we both had our stuff on opposite table sides, he just chose that side. It's a sort of laziness thing that we do at this shop for casual games- we just choose the most convenient side of the table, not necessarily the most strategically relevant. And so it went this time. The board wasn't really that exciting, and none of the terrain came into play except during the deployment.
My opponenent placed his units all in a pretty straight line, with the big unit of Grave Guard holding the BSB Vamp, Dark Acolyte Vamp (better caster), and Infinite Hatred Vamp. Two blocks of skeletons flanking them, the block of zombies on the right of the skeleton unit, and the Cairn Wraiths to the right of them. The Ghouls he placed to the left of his skeletons, one block of them, and then the others he spread out fully, to screen his lord on the horse w/ the Blood Knights (so I wouldn't use frenzy against them). His corpse cart he put directly behind the grave guard.
I placed my Black Guard in the center of my army, with my Dreadlord in it. My Dragon w/ Dreadlord placed slightly to the right of them, and the Cauldron of Blood sat in the back right behind the block. The Crossbowmen I put on the left, and the Dark Riders I put on either far flank and one in the middle. Hydras I did the same with. The Sorceress sat in the back with some crossbows.
He had his Vampire with Hunter in the Dark infiltrate closeby on my left flank, behind a house that didn't come into play again.
We rolled, and he won, choosing for me to go first.

Turn 1: Dark Elves

I marched everything forward, knowing that next turn he would likely be unable to charge me with his Blood Knights/Lord since he was screened by his Ghouls. My Lord on the dragon moved to the right, ready to charge the wraiths since I needed to make sure I could take care of them, being ethereal and all). My crossbows took a few potshots, but did no real harm to anything.

Turn 1: Vamp Counts

He also marched forward, nothing too surprising. His infiltrating Vampire moved out from behind the house.
He then proceeded to cast some spells, and I scrolled Summon Undead Horde. He casted it again with irresistable force and put a block of zombies in front of my Dark Riders on the left, screening the vampire from a charge from them. I mostly stopped the rest of his spells, except for a few to make the zombie unit bigger.
No real shooting, and it was my turn!

Turn 2: Dark Elves

I declared a charge from my Dragon to the Wraiths, which failed by less than 1". Dangit! Otherwise, I decided to move my units up once more, getting ready to charge his blocks next turn. The crossbow unit on the left containing the two assassins moved up as well, and I revealed the assassins. The hydra on the left staged to charge the screening unit of ghouls so as to hit the lord vamp the turn after, and hopefully hold him up.
No magic obviously, and I proceeded to use my Ninja Stars to kill his infiltrate Vamp. A flurry of shots from the other crossbowmen/dark riders kills all but three zombies in the screening unit. Other shooting involves me shooting various skeletons, to no real effect.

Turn 2: Vamp Counts

He oddly decides to charge my dragon with his wraiths. His zombies charge my Dark Riders, who hold. The screening ghouls on the left charge my hydra, who holds.
He tries to summon undead horde again, but the RoH causes a miscast and ends the casting round.
In assault, the Dark Riders kill the remaining 3 zombies. My Lord challenges the banshee, who has to accept. I kill the Banshee easily, also killing another wraith through combat res. The Hydra rips 3 ghouls to shreds, takes no wounds, and kills another 4 through combat res, leaving 3 left.

Turn 3: Dark Elves

I declare a charge from the Black Guard to the Grave Guard, and... thats it. I move my leftmost Dark Riders in to draw a charge from the frenzied Blood Knights/Lord and deflect it if I can, making it impossible for the unit to massacre into the Black Guard's flank. The assassin crossbow unit moves forward again, ready to unleash death on the Blood Knights. They shoot and when the smoke clears, all but the Lord and the Blood Knight champion are dead. Go Assassins! My hydras on the right and middle move to his right flank, and I use my flamers to kill droves of skeletons and zombies, in the end killing more than half the 21 zombies and 15 skeletons, leaving 5 remaining. Cauldron of Blood gives Black Guard +1A.
My dragon/lord manage to kill the last of the wraiths in combat, and my Hydra kills the rest of the Ghouls on the left side. In the Grave Guard/ Black Guard combat, he challenges with his champion, and I accept with mine, and I win, even getting a little bit of overkill. I then target his vampires, and manage to kill the more fighty one, and put a wound on the caster. The BSB evades all damage. He does nothing in return, and I win by a lot, though with the Regen banner he has, he takes zero wounds from combat res.

Turn 3: Vamp Counts

His Lord/Blood Knights declare a charge on my Dark Riders and I choose to stand and shoot, not because I think I'll do something spectacular, but because I have a thought that if I can somehow survive, then next turn my Hydra will be able to charge their rear. His remaining 5 skeletons on the right charge a hydra, and the zombies charge the other one.
In casting, he casts a spell that allows him to regenerate D6 guys anywhere on the field, and I use my final dispell scroll, so that he doesn't replentish his Blood Knights. He tries summon undead horde AGAIN, and miscasts due to RoH, killing his caster (the caster Vamp in the Grave Guard) and ending the magic phase.
In combat, the Lord MAULS my Dark Riders. I had no idea he could be so completely nasty! He overruns, but only gets 4", still well within charge range of my Hydra. On the right, my Hydras do well, killing every last skeleton and zombie, giving me the flank. The central combat goes badly for me, and I only cause a single wound to his BSB, all other attacks being saved by Regen. He kills a few of my Black Guard and puts a wound on the Dreadlord, and wins combat. With stubborn, my guys roll a... 12?! but they are able to reroll due to the BSB hag in the back and pass with a 9. Whew!

Turn 4: Dark Elves

I charge my left hydra into the rear of his lord, and charge my two hydras on the right into the flank of the Grave Guard. I specifically leave his 10 ghouls and a squad of 20 (more like 16 by now) skeletons on the left side, hoping to draw a charge from them into the hydra, so I can combat res his Lord to death with them. My dragon/lord moves close to the corpse cart, preparing a charge next turn.
No real shooting except for a few shots from Dark Riders into a Corpse Cart, which do nothing.
In combat, my Hydra kills the remaining Blood Knight, and takes a wound in return. The big scrum in the middle is a fiasco, and even with my two hydras in the flank of the Grave Guard (14 S5 attacks) and all my Black Guard attacking them w/ 3 S4 re-rollable hits each, I do ZERO wounds to the unit, and take 2 in return. I still win combat, but he loses zero Grave Guard due to regen.

Turn 4: Vamp Counts

He takes the bait and charges his skeletons on the left into the flank of my Hydra, and the ghouls into the assassin unit, who stand and shoot, killing 5. He again tries to summon undead horde and miscasts due to RoH, though he saves the wound.
My Hydra takes the ghouls apart, causing 7 wounds total (beastmasters included). The Lord causes 1 to the Hydra, and I win by a TON, combat ressing the Lord to death. Everything immediately begins to crumble, and he even loses 4 Grave Guard from the crumbling. My dreadlord w/ Black Guard and Hydras finally do something, and kill 6 Grave Guard and the BSB. I win combat by a TON, and even more crumble, because the Regen banner is gone.

His army completely gone except for about 3 skeletons, 4 grave guard, and a corpse cart, he concedes the game.

Results: Massacre for the Dark Elves, 24-0

He actually technically should have gotten a '-1' score, since he lost his Army Standard, but we decided a zero was bad enough, and allowed him the point. He had lost his entire army, and I'd ended up keeping the losses to a couple of Black Guard, and a Dark Rider Squad.

Things I learned:

Vamp Count lords can be NASTY in CC! Holy crap, so many attacks that auto-hit and wound on 7's, then get to roll even more if they wound? Wow, I don't know why he didn't take two of them, honestly!
The Regen Banner is AMAZING with Grave Guard, or any unit, probably.
When fighting a Regen Banner with Black Guard, having your Cauldron of Blood give them Killing Blow is a lot better choice than +1A, since it negates Regen. Took me most of the game to realize that, heh.

The Lizardman army had gotten a massacre against Warriors of Chaos, and the Goblins tied the High Elf list, meaning....

Xaereth
28-09-2009, 05:44
Game 2: Dark Elves vs. Lizardmen!
Here's his list:

Tehenhauin (his General) on an Ancient Stegadon w/ Engine of the Gods
Skink Chief on a Stegadon
Skink Priest w/ L2, Dispell Scroll
Skink Priest w/ L2

20 Skinks w/ 2 Kroxigors
20 Skinks w/ 2 Kroxigors
10 Skink Skirmishers
10 Skink Skirmishers

Stegadon w/ Giant Bow
Stegadon w/ Giant Bow
Ancient Stegadon w/ 2 Giant Blowpipes

5 Terradons
5 Terradons
3 Razordons

Wow. There was a LOT of things I was nervous about. Bolt throwers, big blocks of infantry, Skirmishers, Terradons w/ Flight to be able to march block me, even MORE monsterous creatures than I had. I had never played against the new Lizardmen book, and it made me a little nervous. I wasn't sure what to expect from any of his units, and all I knew was that I needed to get my assassins to shoot their ninja stars at stegadons, hopefully killing them quickly and evening the odds.

Scenario:

We had a marker in the center of the table, and everyone within 12" of it had to do an animosity check like Orks and Goblins have to. In addition, every miscast within that area had to roll on the Ork and Goblins miscast table.

Battle Point Modifiers
• +1 If you have more units within 6 inches of the Totem marker than your opponent.
• +1 If your General is still alive
• +1 If you killed the enemy’s General
• +1 If all of your magic users (including Dwarf Rune Lords or Rune Priests) are alive
and not fleeing at the end of the game
• -1 If all of you Magic users (including Dwarf Rune Lords or Rune Priests) have been
killed or are fleeing at the end of the game (If you have no magic users or their
equivalent in your army then this does not apply to you)

I deployed almost exactly the same way I did the last game, making sure my Hydras and Dark Riders were interspersed on the flanks and the middle. The crossbowmen and kept on the left flank as well.
He deployed with his two ancient stegadons in the center of the table, with his other 3 flanking them. He put the two infantry blocks and skink skirmishers on either side of the Stegadons, and the Teradons outside them. The Razordons he put on the far left flank.
We rolled to see who got first turn, and he did.

Turn 1: Lizardmen

He moved one stegadon on the left flank up a little bit, as well as the razordons. The terradons moved up a little too, though not much, and the skink skirmishers he also moved up.
He was able to cast Comet of Cassadora right in the middle of my lines with irresistable force, and I forgot that RoH would have made him miscast instead.
His shooting missed everything of mine (he was aiming for my dragon, and the Lord on it took 2 bolts to the chest and remained unscathed, haha. Gotta love the reverse ward save + regenerate!

I sprinted everything forward, getting ready for the plunge, either next turn or the turn after. No real shooting, except from my Dark Riders, who kill 4 skink skirmishers on the right flank. Comet of Cassadora gets a counter, and I'm able to dispell it this turn with my 3 casting dice. Whew... those things can be nasty, if I remember correctly!

Turn 2: Lizardmen

His skink skirmishers are forced to move forward due to animosity, and decide to foolishly charge a Hydra! He moves forward with his terradons, dropping rocks on my Dark Riders on the flanks. He kills the ones on the right to a man, and kills all but 1 Rider on the left. The Razordons then move up and shoot at a block of my crossbowmen, killing 5. The terradons shoot and kill the remaining dark rider on the left flank. The rest of his line moves up slightly.
He tries various spells, but miscasts on Beast Cowers vs. my Dragon due to RoH and ends the magic phase, losing a magic level on one of his priests.
Shooting again does little, and in combat my Hydra wins vs. the skirmishing skinks, and pursues them, killing them all.

I declare a couple of charges, the Dragon/lord into his General's Ancient Stegadon, and the middle Hydra (who had fought the skinks earlier) into the 2nd from the left stegadon. Everyone else moves up, except for the right Hydra who is march blocked by terradons. The left Hydra moves to flamer the razordons, and my intact crossbow squad moves up. I reveal my assassins in this squad. The Black Guard move up as well, ready to counter-charge any of the flank charges I know he's going to make with his free Stegadons/blocks of infantry.
I'm able to shoot my assassins at the left stegadon, causing 4 wounds to it. The Hydra flamers the razordons and kills 2 of them, and 3 skink handlers, who pass their break check. The Hydra on the right flamers the teradons, killing 1.5 of them. Blah, waste of time, apparently.
In combat, my Dragon/lord take 2 wounds off the Ancient stegadon, and the dragon takes one in return. He passes his break check. The Hydra vs. stegadon is the same, the Hydra taking one wound, and dishing out 2 in return. Hydra holds.

Turn 3: Lizardmen

He declares a slew of charges, his block of skinks on the right and his rightmost stegadon charging the Black Guard, the 2nd ancient charging the Dragon/lord, and the block of skinks on the left charging my Hydra. Also, he charges his leftmost stegadon (the one with 4 wounds) into my left hydra, as well as his razordons. On his impact hit rolls, he rolls 3 6's in a row, though he only manages to wound one hydra (one the left) twice.
He tries to cast a few more spells, but RoH ends the phase again, and he fails to do anything with his magic.
In combat, the Hydra on the left murders the stegadon who charged it, and the handlers kill the remaining Razordons. I'm forced to pursue, and chase them down. The middle hydra doesn't do terrible, killing a kroxigor and putting 2 wounds on another, but takes a couple wounds. He holds, however, to my relief. On the right, the Black Guard are unable to do much against the stegadon, my Dreadlord whiffing all of his attacks (despite his reroll) and the Black Guard putting one single wound on a Kroxigor. They kill a couple, but I stick around due to stubborn. The dragon/lord vs. the two ancients goes well (I think), causing 2 more wounds to the general's stegadon, in return for 2 wounds to my dragon. I then lose combat by 1, and roll... a 10. I'm 13" from the BSB, and am forced to flee... and roll a 6 on 3D6. He easily catches me, and just like that, the game changes drastically, with two stegadons free from combat.

Turn 3: Dark Elves

My Hydra on the left charges the rear of the skink block in combat with my other hydra, and the Hydra on the left moves forward slowly, flaming and killing the skink skirmishers in the forest there. Dark Riders in the center remain where they are, for some reason (forgot to move them, lol). Crossbows move up, trying to get the assassins into the fight, but terrain slows them down a bunch.
My charging Hydra on the left flank slaughters about 10 skinks, and my other hydra takes another two wounds off the stegadon. The stubborn stegadon holds, but the kroxigor/skink block flees (for some reason they fled through my other hydra? I'm unclear as to how they did that and remained alive, but thats what we ruled) and I'm unable to catch them. On the right, my Black Guard whiff horribly, missing the Kroxigors completely despite 9 3+ rerolls to hit. I do a wound to the stegadon with my Lord, however, and cause it not to attack this turn. I win combat this time, however, though he holds.

Turn 4: Lizardmen

His infantry block rallies, and reforms. He charges his two ancient stegadons into my Black Guard left flank, and his right terradons into their right flank, killing a slew of them on the left. My Dreadlord and black guard are able to take two more wounds off of the original stegadon, a couple wounds off the woundless ancient stegadon, and killed to the man all of the terradons on the right flank. They also managed to kill a few skinks. I lose combat, however, fail break check, and get chased down. One single ancient stegadon with one wound is able to pursue into my hydra on the right side. Ut oh. On the right, it's also bad, as the stegadon finishes off it's original hydra with combat res, and is able to chase it into my left hydra.

Turn 4: Dark Elves
I move my assassins a little bit, trying to get into range of stegadons to shoot them. Still outside though. My Dark Riders decide to charge a skink priest, who has left his unit.
In combat with my hydra on the left, the stegadon whiffs, and the hydra takes his last wound off of him. On the right, my hydra does just as well, killing his charging stegadon. There are 2 stegadons left, one ancient one with one wound left (holding his general), and a stegadon with 3 wounds left. The Dark Riders crush the skink priest.

Turn 5: Lizardmen

He charges my wounded right Hydra with his two stegadons, and causes enough impact hits that the Hydra is down to 1 wound left. His terradons on the left charge my assassin crossbow squad. His reformed block of infantry w/ 1 kroxigor charges my Hydra on the left.
My Hydra on the right is able to dodge a few blows, and kills the final Ancient stegadon w/ Tehenhauin in it, and holds. On the left, the skinks and kroxigor miss my Hydra, and I kill enough skinks, that the entire unit breaks, and I chase them down. The crossbowmen kill 1.5 terradons, and it's a push.

Turn 5: Dark Elves

I declare another charge with the Dark Riders, this time on his Skink Chief that in the midst of all this craziness has been slinking away from the combats. My hydra on the left moves to recieve a charge from another wave of Kroxigors/skinks. The combat with my hydra on the right vs. Tehenhauin and a stegadon goes well enough for me, with my killing Tehenhauin, but the Stegadon finishing my Hydra. The handlers insta-break, and get away. The crossbowmen go first against the terradons, and kill another one, winning combat, and forcing them to flee, forcing me to pursue and not catch them. The Dark Riders again crush the character they charge, and get ready to charge the remaining skink priest.

Turn 6: Lizardmen

His terradons rally. His block of infantry charges my Hydra. The stegadon turns around and walks toward the middle, contesting the objective vs. my Cauldron of Blood, who this entire time remains unscathed.
In combat with my last remaining Hydra, the Kroxigors miss with their great weapons, and the hydra kills both Kroxigors, and the handlers kill 5 skinks, breaking the unit, and I catch them.

Turn 6: Dark Elves

My assassins get ready to put an end to the stupid terradons, since there's no way I can get them to the stegadon in the middle fast enough. The Hydra mostly just hangs out, since there's nothing it can do either. The Dark Riders, however, charge and slaughter his skink priest. The assassins/ crossbows kill the remaining terradons.

The Game Ends.

Results: Draw for Dark Elves! 10-10

Wow. That was a messy battle. I counted my battle points, and I actually still had quite a few more points left than him (he had his one 235 point stegadon left, and I had half a hydra, cauldron of blood, full dark riders squad, full crossbow squad, half crossbow squad, and 2 assassins left. The thing I forgot to count was table quarters, which I think MIGHT have pushed me over the edge (I had 3 quarters) in VP for the Minor victory. I'm not really sure, and I don't really feel like finding out. It was a pretty brutal battle, and it was full of memorable moments!

What I learned:

-Stegadons are tough in close combat, but their saves actually make them somewhat vulnerable to repeater crossbow fire, since a normal stegadon only has a 3+, modified to a 4+ vs. repeaters.
-Putting a much needed unit (i.e. assassins) in a corner where they can be march blocked can really really really adversely affect you.
-NEVER have your hardest-hitting unit outside of the BSB! I feel that that really did cost me the game, having my Dragon fleeing that quickly.

So, I had 34/48 points, tied with the lizardmen army, and only one point better than both the fanatic goblin army and the high elf army.

Xaereth
28-09-2009, 05:45
Game 3: Dark Elves vs. Fanatic Goblins

Here's his list:

Skarsnik w/ Gobbla
Night Goblin Shaman w/ L4, Mad Cap Mushrooms, Staff of Sneaky Stealin, Dispel Scroll
Night Goblin Big Boss w/ Bad Moon on a stick
Shaman w/ L2, Dispel Scroll

43 Night Goblins w/ FC, 3 Fanatics, Spears
20 Night Goblins w/ FC, 3 Fanatics, Spears

10 Spider Riders w/ FC

2 Spear Chuckkas
2 Spear Chuckkas
2 Spear Chuckkas
10 Squig Hoppers
10 Squig Hoppers

1 Doom Diver

Wow... lots and lots and lots of goblins. I knew he was vulnerable to terror though, and I also had something else: a river in the middle of the board.

The Scenario:

It was basically the same: Kill eachother til you're dead. If your general is in range to charge his general, you have to charge, and declare a challenge.

Battle Point Modifiers
• +1 If you have at least one (Unit Strength 5 or higher) units in your
opponents deployment zone
• +1 If your General is still alive and not fleeing
• +1 If you killed the enemy’s General
• +1 If your most expensive unit is still alive and not fleeing at game’s end

I won the choice for deployment, and picked the side that would make him cluster up around terrain the most. I deployed almost exactly the same way I did the other games.
He deployed with his goblins all clustered on the left center, with the huge Skarsnik unit w/ the L4 wizard in the back. A hill in the middle gave him room for all 6 Spear Chukkas, and he put his Doom Diver in the bottom left corner. His Squig Hoppers he put on his flanks.
An important note: There was a river flowing through the middle of the board. When fanatics hit any type of terrain, they die.
I won the roll for first turn, and take it.

I move everything up, and sprint my Dark Riders up, popping about 9 fanatics with 2 of my squads, losing 9 Riders to the Fanatics, though the remaining one stays.

Turn 1: Goblins

He moves his squig hoppers but leaves everyone else where they are, lest the final rider pop their fanatics. The spear chukkas shoot at a Hydra in the middle and take 2 wounds off of it. I (for the most part) shut down his magic.

I declare a charge with my remaining Dark Rider into the closest Spear Chukka. Everything else moves up, and the Hydra on the left flames some Squig Hoppers. Everyone else I keep on the edge of the river, to keep the fanatics from hitting them. I also move my Dragon into the middle of his Goblin horde, ready to force terror checks next turn. His fanatics that haven't popped do, but they're behind the other squads, and he's forced to make his fanatics go through his own units or making them go off the board, and he chooses the latter. The Dragon flames a few goblins, who hold.
In combat, the Dark Rider kills the crew, and makes everyone around them take panic checks. Skarsnik takes his, fails it on a 9, and runs off the board, and about 4 other goblin squads do as well, also 3 other Spear Chukka crews.

Turn 2: Goblins

He charges the squig hoppers into the Hydra. The other goblins are forced to take Terror checks and another few fail. The Squig Hoppers fail to hurt the Hydra, and are killed to a man. At this point he has a couple Spear Chukkas, the Doom Diver, Spider Riders, a squad of Goblins, and a squad of squig hoppers. We play a little more, and he shortly concedes the game.

Results: Massacre for the Dark Elves 24-0

I honestly felt really bad about this game. A lone Dark Rider shouldn't have been enough to rout his entire army, and the fanatics were hitting terrain all over the place. The game wasn't really that indicative of what SHOULD have happened, but in 'Ard Boyz, I'll take what I can. The guy was a great sport, and I've always had a great time playing against him in both 40k and Fantasy.

What I learned:

-Goblins are REALLY shaky on leadership checks. Depending on leadership 8 is rough.
-Fantasy games can be ENTIRELY one-sided. I didn't even use most of my units this game...

In the other game, the High Elves took a Minor loss to the Lizardmen. Meaning:

Overall Results: First Place for the Dark Elves! Woo hoo!!
It was a really fun tournament, with great opponents all three rounds. It was also a fun change of pace for me, since I almost exclusively play 40k, I had a lot of fun playing another game.

Now, it's your turn. How did you like the report? More importantly, what armies do I need to look out for at Regionals? Any suggestions to make my list harder? I want to be able to beat demons, but I really have no clue as to what to expect, since I don't play WFB much. Thanks for reading, I realize it was pretty long. Have a good one!

selone
28-09-2009, 08:00
thanks for the reports Xaereth, seems like 'ard boyz is in full flow ! When's round 2?

Falkman
28-09-2009, 09:22
How did a single Dark Rider panic off his entire army?
His bolt thrower crew was below 5 US wasn't it, so shouldn't cause panic checks at all when dying.

SevenSins
28-09-2009, 10:39
How did a single Dark Rider panic off his entire army?
His bolt thrower crew was below 5 US wasn't it, so shouldn't cause panic checks at all when dying.

thats whats happen when you're rusty.

Well done Xaereth and best of luck in the regionals.

Domandi
28-09-2009, 12:56
Wow, my hydras never do that much damage. Some crazy games there.

There were a couple mistakes from what I read.

In the VC game, when your BG unit lost combat, shouldn't they have autofled due to fear? When the RoH was causing all those miscasts, was the caster within the range himself? I thought the ring didn't work on spells that didn't have a defined target.(I could be wrong on this one.)

All in all, it sounded like you had a great time and I am glad you got in a bunch of fun games.

Falkman
28-09-2009, 14:07
Black Guard are Immune to Psychology so don't autoflee from fearcausers.

EvC
28-09-2009, 14:43
Not the best advertisement for Ardboyz I gotta say. When you rout an entire army because two players don't know one of the most basic rules, that just sucks. Mind you, the gobbo game was a foregone conclusion, with the stupid scenery. Did the gobbo player remember to roll for Skarsnik's sneaky traps on all your units? I'd have loved to know how many of your units were delayed in such a big game.

Don't get me wrong though I'll definitely appreciate reading more next time :D

Xaereth
28-09-2009, 15:04
@selone: Regionals is on the 24th of October. Hopefully I can get a few more practice games in before that and get the rules stamped out better, lol

@Falkman: heh, you're probably right, I'm a bit embarassed. I actually forgot about that rule at all, but HE was the one to point out he needed to roll it, so I just went with it. Still, I suppose I should have known.

@sevensins: thanks for the encouragement, I appreciate it. I'm sure I'll lose if/when I go to regionals, but it'll be fun.

@Domandi: The RoH just says 'target a spell within 12" of the wearer' which I assume means you don't have to target someone specifically.

@EvC: heh, you're right, it's not a great advertisement. 5 40k players flailing at eachother with armies they never play in a game they hardly ever play is probably a pretty disgusting sight to a bunch Fantasy veterans. I usually write up battle reports for 'Ard boyz though, so I figured I'd try to stamp one out for WFB. The gobbo player forgot to use the sneaky traps, he remembered when the game was over. It was already a pretty sad game, I'll have to get a rematch from him.

Thanks for bearing with me on the rules, everyone. Any advice for next round? What are some of the tougher demon builds out there? Any ways to make my list harder?

PeG
28-09-2009, 15:13
RoH needs either the caster to be within range or ot have a specific targeted spot within range ie either a unit or a specific point on the ground so if the caster is out of range and casts a summoning spell it will not have any effect.

Xaereth
28-09-2009, 15:21
... so if the area he's summoning into is within 12" of the RoH he still miscasts right? He has to specify the area the horde is coming into? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to argue in my favor, I just want to make SURE I understand the rule correctly.

Falkman
28-09-2009, 15:52
The target area of the summon spell is decided after the spell is cast, so the RoH does nothing to prevent it.

Edit: from the Dark Elf FAQ:

Q. Do area of effect spells such as Wind of Undeath miscast on a double if they affect any
model within 12" of the Ring of Hotek? And how about spells that do not specify a target
location until after they have been successfully cast?

A. Neither of these are affected by the Ring of Hotek, as such spells are not ‘targeted’ at any
specific point before being cast.

Xaereth
28-09-2009, 23:38
Ah... makes sense. Thanks for keeping me honest, heh :)

Hopefully the RoH keeps me safe against Tzeench and Slannesh Demon spells, I keep hearing that those are the armies to beat, at least in my 'region'. Lots of complaints about how many Power Dice Tzeench get. Maybe I should look at their army book sometime :D.

wena
29-09-2009, 06:15
Really enjoyed the BatRep - thanks for that - well written ...

P.S. Playing by the rules you both are in agreement on are part of 'Ard Boyz ... looking back on one of my games - my lack of knowledge of the rules cost me getting massacred (building rules) and was totally my fault. I play with building all the time but forgot the rules in the heat of the moment - congrats on your win!

Kalec
30-09-2009, 03:01
That was a pathetic VC list.

nieto666
30-09-2009, 04:56
Good report man, always good to hear Dark Elves doing well.

Dungeon_Lawyer
30-09-2009, 06:12
That was a pathetic VC list.

Spoken like a true IoN spammer (doozes off to sleep during VC magic phase...)

At least he tried something out of the box, and perhaps you missed it, but had they been playing RoH right a key Summon Undead Horde would have gotten off, replenishing critical units with much needed troops, (getting another BK back!): and not having one of his Vamps die.....

"In casting, he casts a spell that allows him to regenerate D6 guys anywhere on the field, and I use my final dispell scroll, so that he doesn't replentish his Blood Knights. He tries summon undead horde AGAIN, and miscasts due to RoH, killing his caster (the caster Vamp in the Grave Guard) and ending the magic phase."

You dont seem to have many positive posts to contribute to the forum Kalec..
Are you suffering from noazzititus? Something like that?:eek:

selone
30-09-2009, 09:41
Kalec isn't a very positive person ;)

Maoriboy007
30-09-2009, 23:49
Personally I prefer WoU to SUH, the chance of popping a tactical ethereal unit in an inconvinient location for your opponant is priceless :D
SUH is just too uneconomical compared to IoN.

Kalec
01-10-2009, 06:02
Spoken like a true IoN spammer (doozes off to sleep during VC magic phase...)

Please. That list could have been ten times deadlier without going for pure casting, and you know it.

EvC
01-10-2009, 11:41
Dreadlance and Red Fury: the weak option.

Kalandros
02-10-2009, 10:46
Dreadlord (251)
Dreadlord- 140
Ring of Darkness- 40
Chill Blade- 50
Heavy Armor- 6
Sea Dragon Cloak- 6
Extra Hand Weapon- 6
Shield- 3

Extra Hand Weapon with Magic Weapon is useless, unless your Magic Weapon is rendered mundane. You can't use Mundane Weapons while using a Magic Weapon (Exception made for Dagger of Hotek).

Xaereth
02-10-2009, 16:16
Yeah, I found that out at the start of the tournament. Made me sad, but I suppose 6 wasted points isn't the most tragic thing ever. It made sense at the time, since I'm not super well-versed on the rules. Thanks for letting me know though, it's always good to find your mistakes. :)

As a side note- does a shield work with a magic weapon for the +1 bonus in combat? I suppose I could get off my lazy **** and look it up myself lol.

selone
04-10-2009, 19:15
No it doesn't, a magic shield does work with a normal weapon though, crazily.

Dungeon_Lawyer
06-10-2009, 16:16
No it doesn't, a magic shield does work with a normal weapon though, crazily.

selone ive been trying to find that for the past few days-where is that in the book?

selone
06-10-2009, 16:58
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m470856_Warhammer_FAQ_2008-02_Edition.pdf

Page 4 or 5 depending on your adobe,
Section called weapons

Q. Does a character benefit from the "Fighting with hand
weapon and shield (infantry)" rule found on page 56, if
armed with a mundane hand weapon and a magical
shield?
A. Yes. However it will not if armed with a magical
weapon and a mundane or magical shield, because the
magical weapon loses the normal rules of hand weapons.