PDA

View Full Version : Could it all just be a game to the gods in the M41?

Pooky
28-09-2009, 06:20
I was looking at a few of the threads on WS and noticed something odd... Run with me on this, but perhaps the gods of the M41 are just playing a game with the lives of their respective races/ armies. Some what similar to what we do with our models on the tabletop. I imagined all the gods, (The Emperor*, the Chaos Gods, Gork and Mork, the C'Tan, the Eldar Gods, the Hive Mind** etc) just sitting around like a gaming group and when a battle is on it's like the gods are having a game.

Is this such a stretch to imagine?

*I'm just saying The Emperor is a god to help illustrate a point, I don't mean to get into the whole "The Emperor was a MAN" discussion

**The Hive Mind is not a god so to speak, but it controls its armies like a god

Grimbad
28-09-2009, 07:18
'An eternity of carnage and slaughter and the laughter of thirsting gods' sounds a lot like a day at the game tables to me.
"Hey Nightbringer, Gork's big mek just shot himself at my bloodthirster through the shokk attack gun."
"AahahhaahaDestroy him."

I suppose they'd be rigid fluff gamers, with an eye towards roleplaying in that instead of playing to win (the smart gods would just beat the crap out of the rest if they played to win) they have their forces act with arrogance, cruelty, and incompetence just to make it more fun.

grissom2006
28-09-2009, 07:20
Can you say the world is but a stage and we are but mere players upon it, or in our case the galaxy is but a stage.

Condottiere
28-09-2009, 10:01
Then it's most likely a realtime computer game, with the gods just pointing the units in the general direction they want them to go and letting the game engine sort out the individual combat results.

Poseidal
28-09-2009, 12:39
It's a game where their battles are decided by rolls of the dice, with two opposing patrons overseeing their forces and suggesting their movements.

They still must follow the rules layed out by the creators of the universe, and must always play in agreement with another patron.

Some only control one side of forces, but another might control the armies of both the Inquisition and the Daemons of Chaos! it is ultimately up to themselves to decide, though they would be rarely used together except without the permission of the other, or perhaps in situations of Apocalypse.

Overall, many troops may be lost in these conflicts, but they won't be missed (unless completely lost to the patron). There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.

When they run out of Mountain Dew.

Condottiere
28-09-2009, 12:54
They'll upgrade and experience the joys of Shandy.

Lord Asgul
28-09-2009, 13:18
Well all this is true in the case of the Chaos Gods...

Mojaco
28-09-2009, 13:29
If that is true than the Emperor has to play a lot of battles, as he is the only user of Codex: SM (all variants), IG and the Ordos. Those poor 4 chaos gods have to share 2 codexes between themselves, and noone plays with Necrons.

I'm pretty sure that Tzeentch is playing for the fun of the game, while all others are WAAC gamers.

edit: oops, Gork and Mork are playing for the game too ofcourse. They wouldn't want to win.

Sceleris82
28-09-2009, 13:39
There is a text in some chaos codex saying somthing like

The gods often challenge eachothers, this could the god inviting another god to their planet with a army to fight, before the fight they agree to certain rules and limitation.

So the chaos gods seems to play warhammer against eachother

Iracundus
28-09-2009, 13:47
There is a text in some chaos codex saying somthing like

The gods often challenge eachothers, this could the god inviting another god to their planet with a army to fight, before the fight they agree to certain rules and limitation.

So the chaos gods seems to play warhammer against eachother

The gods wager on these contests, and from the 2nd ed. Chaos Codex, at times even wager whole daemon worlds on the outcome of a clash between 2 of their Champions.

In Realms of Chaos, they are described like rich misers gambling with pennies. Although each defeat of their Champions is technically a loss of power for them, it is so miniscule as to be insignificant.

The Anarchist
28-09-2009, 18:00
you've jsut outted GW's big secret, you are the gods of Warhammer, you are the Numan. you just don't know it yet.

Bassik
28-09-2009, 18:09
Could the curved universe be just an elementary particle in some superuniverse?

Sorry, that was uncalled for.

The Gods playing a game of warhammer is just... epically mindblowing;)

Pooky
28-09-2009, 22:05
If that is true than the Emperor has to play a lot of battles, as he is the only user of Codex: SM (all variants), IG and the Ordos. Those poor 4 chaos gods have to share 2 codexes between themselves

Maybe The Emperor has multiple personality disorder and each personality plays a different army!*

I picture the 4 Chaos gods being like 4 spoilt kids all fighting for the chance to use their favourite toy. Either that or the armies of Chaos are like a console with multiple controllers so all 4 of them can play at the same time.

* I mean no offence for anyone who does have multiple personality disorder

grissom2006
28-09-2009, 22:09
Maybe The Emperor has multiple personality disorder and each personality plays a different army!*

That part is actually hit upon in The Inquisition War the Emperor speaks to a Inquisitor in his mind in the voice of many sometimes not coherent.

randian
29-09-2009, 07:28
The gods wager on these contests, and from the 2nd ed. Chaos Codex, at times even wager whole daemon worlds on the outcome of a clash between 2 of their Champions.
Do we know if there was, say, an Angron-Magnus clash? Or are they not so insignificant they will be wagered this way?

Makiaveli
29-09-2009, 15:05

I picture the 4 Chaos gods being like 4 spoilt kids all fighting for the chance to use their favourite toy. Either that or the armies of Chaos are like a console with multiple controllers so all 4 of them can play at the same time.

* I mean no offence for anyone who does have multiple personality disorder

At least 3 of me are offended!! The others don't care or didn't vote.

Sorry couldn't resist. I am the last person to joke about that, but at the same time if you have to choose between laughing and crying, I know which one I will choose.

El_Machinae
29-09-2009, 19:47
More seriously, I have suggested that the 'Nids Hive Mind seems to be practicing, because the size of units it uses for its battles wouldn't make sense otherwise

Pooky
29-09-2009, 21:55
More seriously, I have suggested that the 'Nids Hive Mind seems to be practicing, because the size of units it uses for its battles wouldn't make sense otherwise

What do you mean by "practicing"? Practicing for taking over/ eating the universe? And are you confusing game mechanics for fluff? If I were the Hive Mind I wouldn't send in a unit of 30 gaunts to do a job. It would be more like 30,000 backed up with another 30,000 :)

gunners
30-09-2009, 11:36
At the end of "the best movie EVER" Men in Black, you se the universe gets zoomed out, and to big aliens playing marbles... Now that is how i see it.. to bored gods just throwing different things at each other...

OH so you created super humans... I have the right to take half of them..:p

THe real truth behind the HH, children have to share their toy!

madprophet
30-09-2009, 11:58
You have figured out the ultimate truth of the 40k universe!!!

Gdolkin
30-09-2009, 13:18
And up until the new codex, the C'tan get to play as themselves :eek:

El_Machinae
30-09-2009, 13:26
What do you mean by "practicing"? Practicing for taking over/ eating the universe? And are you confusing game mechanics for fluff? If I were the Hive Mind I wouldn't send in a unit of 30 gaunts to do a job. It would be more like 30,000 backed up with another 30,000 :)

I mean practicing battle.
If you're practicing karate, you're going to find an opponent and then fight them according to established rules. If you're practicing chess, same thing. Now, you could probably win a karate tournament by capturing your opponent's queen or win a chess match by eye-poking your opponent: but it's not what we'd do.

Tyranids make animal-sized opponents with hth and small-arms fire capability, and then battle their opponents on those terms. If their sole goal was merely biomass accumulation, this is probably not the efficient way of doing it.

It seems like they're practicing having battles at those levels of engagement. And then they consume the DNA to evolve even more.

Gorbad Ironclaw
30-09-2009, 20:54
That's pretty much how I see it. Very much so in the case of the chaos gods.

Anything that happens in the material universe is just a mixture of amusement and score keeping. You have to do something and gamers are not the only ones who like playing with toy soldiers. That the gods toy soldiers move by themselves and use prepainted models (although with options to repaint them) is just minor details.

Pooky
30-09-2009, 22:20
I mean practicing battle.
If you're practicing karate, you're going to find an opponent and then fight them according to established rules. If you're practicing chess, same thing.

But this isn't a 'competition', this is war* I don't really see what the Tyranids could be training for. I can't picture the Hive Mind recalling it's best troops if it is only going to rend an IG army or not having the most tiny bugs because it is going up against CSM. I believe the Hive Mind does what it needs to do to win, as opposed to having a trial and error approach to the enemy.

* Admittedly, the modern warfare we have now does have some rules of engagement, but in M41 I doubt there are any rules, or should I say 'morals'.