PDA

View Full Version : New White Dwarf Subscriber Mini

warhammergrimace
28-09-2009, 16:06
Just came across the new mini for white dwarf subscriptions, looks like a Squat or Am I just seeing things and he's a fantasy dwarf.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=4500006a&_requestid=76265

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m500058a_WDSubModel.jpg

the-skylord
28-09-2009, 16:24
That is one nice Dwarf model, a tech priest anyone?

Thud
28-09-2009, 16:27
It's Grombrindal in space, not a squat I'm afraid.

Personally I think the Alien Grot destroys the image of the model. Without that it would have been less "jolly and a fun model" and more something I could use in a Radical Inquisition army, or a Guard army.

yabbadabba
28-09-2009, 16:39
So can't GW do "jolly and fun" models?

TallChris
28-09-2009, 16:58
He's flippin amazing.

May finally get round to doing a subscription instead of funding Tesco's evil ways

spetswalshe
28-09-2009, 17:15
Get rid of the grot and you've got yourself a Squat Enginseer/weapon crew.

Thud
28-09-2009, 17:25
So can't GW do "jolly and fun" models?

Oh, I'm sorry, should I change my opinion to fall in with the party line? :rolleyes:

Of course GW can make "jolly and fun" models, but I'm not obligated to like them.

Templar Ben
28-09-2009, 17:30
I like the model.

Don't tell Harry. I will lose my street cred.

Brandir
28-09-2009, 17:37
This is a 'jolly and fun' model from GW.

I get the joke. Does anyone else?

spetswalshe
28-09-2009, 17:56
Well, I'm not laughing. But if I told a joke and gave this model as a punchline it would probably count as some pretty gentle humour.

Is this a secret in-joke, or is it just a slly oh-our-sculptors-had-some-time-on-their-hands-get-them-to-do-a-dwarf-with-a-gobbo-in-a-grey-suit-that'll-be-hilarious model?

RobC
28-09-2009, 17:59
What's with the mood in this thread?

Re the actual miniature: nice. I'm sure the handful of squat fans who remain have had a rueful chuckle at the juxtaposition of a 'squat' and the new Tyranid codex.

Templar Ben
28-09-2009, 18:44
Rob, this is a parallel universe thread where I am the one that thinks GW did a good thing. ;)

BigBadBull
28-09-2009, 20:28
What's with the "Grey" looking head to the models right hand side ( left side on the picture), is there some thing I missed.

yabbadabba
28-09-2009, 20:31
Oh, I'm sorry, should I change my opinion to fall in with the party line? :rolleyes: Get off your high horse.

Of course GW can make "jolly and fun" models, but I'm not obligated to like them. You are entitled to not like a model, but your inference in your post suggested that it was devalued because it was "jolly and fun" and not directly usable in one of your armies.
So Thud, answer the question. Is it wrong for GW to make "jolly and fun" models?

Its a great model, and unusually for GW, has nothing to do with any of their games. I think it shows that the Studio still has a creative flair and a sense of humour. Also what a great way to get the Squat Conspirators gabbling online!

Wintertooth
28-09-2009, 20:34
Oh, I'm sorry, should I change my opinion to fall in with the party line? :rolleyes:

Have you been reading this forum for long? Unfounded, ill-conceived whining *is* the party line.

loveless
28-09-2009, 20:38
What's with the "Grey" looking head to the models right hand side ( left side on the picture), is there some thing I missed.

The Grot's in a costume - the "Grey" head is his mask.

dwarfhold13
28-09-2009, 20:47
i like the model.. i think it's entertaining at least.. whether you find it has any practical use or not, it's got character :)

The Phazer
28-09-2009, 21:18
I like it. It's stuff like this that should be the Games Day model instead of forgettable Chaos lords.

And it certainly shows someone in the studio still has a sense of humour.

I'm not mega keen on the goblin to be honest - I'm sure something a bit more in-universe like a nid mask would have worked better, but it's a small critique.

Phazer

Brandir
28-09-2009, 21:26
I agree with you Mr Phazer.

Games Day models should be a little more 'fun'.

yabbadabba
28-09-2009, 21:42
I'm not mega keen on the goblin to be honest - I'm sure something a bit more in-universe like a nid mask would have worked better, but it's a small critique.Phazer On the goblin?

spetswalshe
28-09-2009, 21:45
Re the actual miniature: nice. I'm sure the handful of squat fans who remain have had a rueful chuckle at the juxtaposition of a 'squat' and the new Tyranid codex.

Now that's funny.

Thud
28-09-2009, 22:14
Get off your high horse.
You are entitled to not like a model, but your inference in your post suggested that it was devalued because it was "jolly and fun" and not directly usable in one of your armies.

Oh, give me a break. Read my original post again:

Personally I think the Alien Grot destroys the image of the model. Without that it would have been less "jolly and a fun model" and more something I could use in a Radical Inquisition army, or a Guard army.

That's my opinion of the model. Simple as that. For me the model is devalued because it is "jolly and fun". I would have preferred it without the Alien Grot. If you feel otherwise, good for you, buy a WD subscription.

So Thud, answer the question. Is it wrong for GW to make "jolly and fun" models?

That's not only a strawman attack, it is also a loaded question and a false dilemma.

I like the Goff Rockers and the Big Mek with the big gun thing (I forget the name) which are all to an extent "jolly and fun" models. I'm not saying GW can't make such models, I'm not "angry" with GW for making this model, nor am I saying I automatically dislike any such models, I am merely stating that the Alien Grot ruins this model for me. Personal opinion. Differs from yours. Deal with it.

yabbadabba
28-09-2009, 22:20
Deal with it. Read my post. I originally asked you a simple question. I now have my somewhat grumpy answer. Thank you.

Grimstonefire
28-09-2009, 22:36
Seeing as the grot could easily be taken off the servo arm I guess it's not that bad. Is the idea that the WD has exposed the 'alien' as a grot and caught him?

Sounds like an X files plot, with Fox 'Grombindal' Mulder on the case!

venus_redscar
29-09-2009, 01:40
What bothers me the most is that the figure isn't even free when you subscribe. You have to still pay for it. The usual $15 character price.

A great look into how GW thinks. Make em pay full price for a magazine subscription and the player will feel special to be able to pay more for the exclusive mini. No other "niche" magazine makes you pay full price. Or nearly that much. I get Xbox magazine for a third of what White Dwarf costs. And the first year for half that. And the magazine is just a bunch of ads. You would think they would want to make it cheap.

Yea sure....

Ri-xthoal Lord of Lustira
29-09-2009, 01:48
that's Tyranids codex cover is sick.

Sunyavadin
29-09-2009, 01:56
I'm going to be keeping my eyes on Ebay for one of these...

threewolftats
29-09-2009, 02:42
i don't have a problem with this mini..... I have had a sub for years now, and I have yet to get any of the minis.... although if i don't see at least one of these converted and in an inquisition warband I might faint from shock....... afterall didn't Eisenhorn have a dwarfish technician in his warband/retinue at one point?

CraftworldsRus
29-09-2009, 06:26
i don't have a problem with this mini..... I have had a sub for years now, and I have yet to get any of the minis.... although if i don't see at least one of these converted and in an inquisition warband I might faint from shock....... afterall didn't Eisenhorn have a dwarfish technician in his warband/retinue at one point?

Er...? I really don't recall Eisenhorn ever having a dwarfish tech in his party... it has been about a year since I last read the books, but I would think something like that would have stood out a bit.

Wolfshadow
29-09-2009, 08:33
Ooh the Black Gobbo and White Dwarf in space... Looks like the White Dwarf won! ;)

RobC
29-09-2009, 11:57
afterall didn't Eisenhorn have a dwarfish technician in his warband/retinue at one point?It was Draco rather than Eisenhorn, but he did have a squat engineer by the name of Grimm.

Plaguebeast
29-09-2009, 12:35
Hurray! Not another generic-looking Dwarf lord! Absolutely love the model - great on its own, or with a few touch-ups to make it a little more 'serious'/'grimdark', it could work as a nice little auxiliary unit in a Tau army.

Plaguebeast

ashc
30-09-2009, 00:59
Wow, a fun totally random model from GW having a bit of a laugh and joke around? What's not to like? - I am actually considering my first subscription in 7 years because of this model. :)

Gray Hunter
30-09-2009, 01:38
What bothers me the most is that the figure isn't even free when you subscribe. You have to still pay for it. The usual $15 character price.

A great look into how GW thinks. Make em pay full price for a magazine subscription and the player will feel special to be able to pay more for the exclusive mini. No other "niche" magazine makes you pay full price. Or nearly that much. I get Xbox magazine for a third of what White Dwarf costs. And the first year for half that. And the magazine is just a bunch of ads. You would think they would want to make it cheap.

Yea sure....

You can't really compare White Dwarf to something like a video game magazine though, because games developers will pay to have ads in the magazine. GW aren't about to let Privateer Press advertise in WD, are they? They used to let other companies do exactly that, but that was decades ago.

I'm not defending the price of WD (I stopped buying it in protest because it was just getting ridiculous and the quality of the articles has dramatically dropped since I started buying in the mid-nineties), but that's the reality. They're a small company putting out an expensive full-colour magazine every month, and they wont allow advertising to offset printing costs. They can't afford to pay for the whole cost of the magazine, so it's expensive for the consumer. Fortunately, GW don't print anything that you need to be able to play WFB or 40K in WD, and we live in a free market economy so we can choose not to buy it if we decide that the value of the mag isn't worth the cost.

Personally, I think GW is finally moving with the times and preparing to switch to a webzine model, which they can either offer free or for a relatively low annual subscription fee.

badgeraddict
30-09-2009, 13:55
I do not like this model at all. If confuses me! Heh...dwarf in space.

It is fun however, but I wouldn't get a WD subscription for that model in a million years.

Weemo
30-09-2009, 22:30
i like it, it has character and is lots of fun.

The Phazer
01-10-2009, 22:13
On the goblin?

Yeah. If he's gonna dress up as a space alien it'd work more for me as a 40k space alien.

Phazer

ashc
02-10-2009, 00:31
I think the fact that it isn't a 40k alien is actually a good thing, as it firmly roots the model in the 'having a bit of fun' as opposed to ZOMFG TEH SQUATS R BAK!!!!!111!!

Condottiere
02-10-2009, 00:38
The Squats aren't actually extinct.

ashc
02-10-2009, 00:43
In the background, no, they are not extinct, but you can't play them with a current codex, and they have no current models produced by Games Workshop. :)

Temprus
02-10-2009, 03:31
I may have to get two, convert one of the goblins into some kind of Tyranid. :D

loveless
02-10-2009, 04:03
I may have to get two, convert one of the goblins into some kind of Tyranid. :D

I've been considering doing something similar...I just don't care for that grey alien. I'll have to see how it's attached - hopefully it's an easy cut job :p