PDA

View Full Version : Dedicating a Daemon Prince

BigbyWolf
28-09-2009, 18:23
Am I right in the assumption that when you pay 35 points to dedicate a DP to one of the Chaos Gods, all you gain is the ability to pick different gifts (and the opportunity to say "Check out my DP of ....")?

Just seems a little strange to me, and another mark in the "reasons not to take a DP" column.

Jiggy
28-09-2009, 19:02
You get access to his specific lore as well as the usuall treats (frenzy,ItP,6+ward and +1 to cast and -WS and BS)
And you can pick any daemonic gifts you like.
For example a nurgle DP with tendrills of tzeentch is just fine (gamewise...fluffwise it is a whole other story...)

BigbyWolf
28-09-2009, 20:12
Sorry...should have been a little more clear- I was referring to the DoC DP...

Jiggy
28-09-2009, 20:17
Oh sorry then I know nothing about him :)

theunwantedbeing
28-09-2009, 20:23
Am I right in the assumption that when you pay 35 points to dedicate a DP to one of the Chaos Gods, all you gain is the ability to pick different gifts (and the opportunity to say "Check out my DP of ....")?

Just seems a little strange to me, and another mark in the "reasons not to take a DP" column.

No doubt that cost was originally intended to pay for something.
Although the designers dropped whatever it was and somehwhere along the line nobody noticed that there was still a points cost attached.

Kind of like the current slann-Magwe priest situation.
There just wasnt enough checking of the material and it was no doubt spread across multiple files that were all then combined, but not checked in their final layout.

Lijacote
28-09-2009, 21:06
I'm just curious. Why does everybody keep saying Magwe? I never noticed that W.

Daemon princes in the DoC book are considered worthless, or rather a "soft" option with very few niche uses, or at least that's the picture I've gotten. They're decent with Master of Sorcery and uh, maybe... well, the +2 attacks gift. You could (but won't because nobody is really going to let you do this) combine that with the Sword of Rhuin for some horribly, horribly awesome wrecking power. I'm sure there are a few other specific builds for this character choice but all in all, he's a terribly waste of points by almost any standard.

This is just my opinion, please, do not kill me.

PeG
28-09-2009, 21:34
actually if you compare the DoC daemon prince with large monsters/characters from other armies he is OK but compared to the other daemon options he is not as good for the points he costs.

Aflo
28-09-2009, 21:52
I like the idea of giving him wings, soul hunger and immortal fury with a level 2 wizard upgrade (lore of fire for general neutralisation of annoying supporting units and the off chance you get a flaming sword off). Could work quite nicely with a rank breaking herald of Tzeentch on a chariot and/or a couple of units of furies...

But answering the OP's qustion, yeh I see very little point in taking a mark :p

Lijacote
28-09-2009, 21:55
The daemon prince does not cause terror, he can not be sufficiently upgraded, he does not even fly without a Daemonic Gift. I'd compare him to a Hydra, but you don't really see Hydras leading dark elf forces do you?

I'm guessing you're comparing him to the Beasts of Chaos Shaggoth... they're actually pretty comparable. I'm sure you see plenty of Beast players using that abomination.

I'd actually rather play the Beasts of Chaos Shaggoth than the Prince. The Shaggoth can break ranks, causes terror, leads his troops better and does almost everything but fly and know-every-spell-in-the-book better than the dreadful Prince.

I really don't know what "other large monsters/characters" you could be talking about. The Greater Daemons are infinitely better and the Warriors of Chaos daemon prince is better than this abortion of a malevolent prince of darkness.

Enigmatik1
29-09-2009, 01:30
actually if you compare the DoC daemon prince with large monsters/characters from other armies he is OK but compared to the other daemon options he is not as good for the points he costs.

This is a universal issue with the Daemon Prince. Warriors of Chaos have the same problem with theirs, plus he can't take mundane or magic items (:wtf:) and his attacks aren't even magical. He does cause Terror and is US3 (so no Killing Blow) but he still isn't worth the 500+ points per model you'll pay for him.

Fenrir
29-09-2009, 11:46
I ran a DoC one last week, and it wasn't all that. He was a lvl one, ASF, Soul Hunger, something else equipped one and didn't do that well.

Next week, I'm giving the "ASF, Collar of Khorne, Armour of Khorne" build a try, and seeing what happens. I know he's pony, but the FW model is too good to not use.

Midevil216
29-09-2009, 12:41
Speaking if Deamon Princes, when is that plactic DP kit I see in the WoC book coming out? Did they "Drop the Mold" for this one too?

Fenrir
29-09-2009, 13:29
Speaking if Deamon Princes, when is that plactic DP kit I see in the WoC book coming out? Did they "Drop the Mold" for this one too?

It'll come out at the same time they drop prices.

Enigmatik1
29-09-2009, 13:43
Isn't that the WoC Daemon Prince the Bela'kor model?

Midevil216
30-09-2009, 12:37
Isn't that the WoC Daemon Prince the Bela'kor model?

I don't think so. Even though it looks similar it has options for wings or no wings, I think it has two different heads and weapon options. I swear I,ve seem a picture of the spru on this site somewhere but I could be wrong about the pic. I am pretty sure it's a plastic kit though, can someone confirm that who knows.

Thanks

Lijacote
30-09-2009, 13:54
Be'lakor is definitely not the same model. I guarantee it.

kardar233
01-10-2009, 15:52
Yes, Be'Lakor is considerably more awesome.

That model single-handedly saves lives.

Warriors of Chaos daemon prince is better than this abortion of a malevolent prince of darkness.

I whole-heartedly disagree with this. There is one thing the Warriors Daemon Prince can do better than the DoC one, and that is power/dispel dice. Apart from that, DoC Daemon Princes win otherwise due to being able to know the entire Lore, having a considerably better Lore selection and an extremely powerful Lore of Tzeentch, they do much better in combat as they can actually have Gifts that help them there, and so I feel they are a much more powerful option than the Warriors Prince.

However, the problem we have here is that they are in two different books; as such, while the Daemons Prince is considerably better, the competition for that Lord choice is much stiffer, as Bloodthirsters are monstrously undercosted, Fateweaver is one of the best casters in the game and a Keeper of Secrets is essential for any Slaanesh army.

Think of it this way: If you could take a Daemon Prince from Daemons of Chaos in the Warriors of Chaos list, would you?

My answer is: Without hesitation.

Lijacote
01-10-2009, 15:55
I guess I'm a bit biased for the WoC prince since my lord is usually a caster, and the DoC prince can only go to level 2, and the WoC prince can get that reroll gift. Oh well.