PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Morghur beastmen list!

Saethiel
17-01-2006, 04:08
Morghur 378

Shaman, braystaff, 2x dispel 131

shaman, braystaff, staff of dakkoth, chaos armor 151

beast herd
12x gors, 8x ungors, full command 158

beast herd

beast herd

5x hounds 30

5x hounds 30

5x hounds 30

13x bestigors
full command, vitriolic totem 223

3x trolls 165

2x chaos spawn 160

Giant, mutant monstrosity 225

total: 1997

this is my first crack at a morghul list. The general idea is that all that starts on the table is morghul, the hounds, spawns, bestigors, and the giant. The shaman with dakkoth starts with the bestigors, the other just hides somewhere. the hounds start the game around morghur, and hopefully turns them into spawns. on turn 2 or 3 the horn is sounded and the beast herds should show up and wreack havok on the enemy lines. any comments or criticisms are welcome!

p.s. I am really unsure about the trolls. might those points be better spent somewhere else?

Yaraslau
17-01-2006, 06:23
I've played Beastmen for some time and found out that when you have too many minis in ambush, the majority of the minis left on the field will be wiped out easily. Morghur will be the main target for most warmachines. The second target - are Beastigors.

So I suggest putting Morghul in some kind of a unit (for the purpose of the "Look out, Sir" rule).
Also, beastherd are better screening units than hounds (Stupid Dwarves with their guns!), but I suppose that in the case of Morghul they will do quite right.

Saethiel
17-01-2006, 07:24
maybe only one or two of the beast herds should ambush?

and sadly, morghur can never join a squad, one of his special rules.

I was thinking maybe keeping him behind the trolls ro spawns to keep him out of line of sight?

biggreengribbly
21-01-2006, 13:34
Don't all ranged attacks from more than 12" away from morghur get turned into bowls of petunias think "not again" and fall to the floor (Automatically miss)

athamas
21-01-2006, 15:30
nope, sorry, there is a -1 to hit him in combat though

flagu
21-01-2006, 15:46
I think that only way to use morghur was taking him and 300 war houds and compulsory core choises. It seems that I was wrong ;). In fact, I dont like ANY special character's.

Spwan's point's are wrong. 1 Spawn without any mark cost's 60 points so two of them will cost 120pts. Or have u forgot some upgrades?

IMO troll's suck. They are slow and stupid. Stupidity would be acceptable if they have good LD with them and then I still don't trust them. Take minotaurs or ogres rather than trolls.

Neknoh
21-01-2006, 19:00
Don't listen to Flagu, remove the Spawns and 1 Herd, use those points to get yourself at least 1 more unit of Trolls!

And flagu, you may wonder why I say get more trolls to him, well, it's because of what you just mentioned, they have CRAPPY Leadership, but, they have generation.

This means, that they most probably will fail most, if not all, Ld tests from Morghur, resulting in a few wounds, spawns are created and then, the Trolls regenerate said wounds and you keep your Spawns.

Saethiel
23-01-2006, 16:36
Thats what I was thinking too!

then I remembered that if any models of a unit become spawns, they take a panic test...

and im pretty sure those stupid guys would run... or perhaps i could stick a wargor in with em?

CarlostheCraven
23-01-2006, 19:04
Well, your plan is flawed. If you take Morghur there is NO army general. To ambush, your general must "sound the horn" and have the ambush rule. Thus no general = no horn to sound = no ambush. This also negates the viability of trolls, unless you plan on placing characters in each unit.

That said, you do seem to have the basic concept of the Morghur list in mind, though you are not exploiting it to your full advantage - that is to generate as many spawn as possible. You want as many chaos hounds, and low leadership beastherds within 12" as possible, turning your 30 pt units of hounds into 60 pt spawn.

A warning: this army is tedious to play against (all those ld tests, wounds, and spawn generation and random movement takes a lot of time), abusive of the rules and will in all likelyhood result in low sprtsmanship scores at any tournament.

Cheers

Neknoh
23-01-2006, 20:29
Saethiel, they only take a Panic Test if they regenerate such a small ammount of wounds that they loose 25% of their 12 Wounds, meaning a loss of 3 wounds of which none are regenerated (unit of 4), if a unit of 5, that would be 4 Wounds of which none are regenerated.

Saethiel
23-01-2006, 21:31
Morghur has a special rule called the "beast scream" or something to that effect. it counts as a brayhorn.

and the unit takes a panic check if any spawns are created, regardless of if they regenerate them. However, the beast scream dealie also rallies any fleeing units in the army... and it doest say you can only use it once. could I conecievably use it every turn to rally fleeing trolls?

the_night_reaper
25-01-2006, 01:40
Well, your plan is flawed. If you take Morghur there is NO army general. To ambush, your general must "sound the horn" and have the ambush rule. Thus no general = no horn to sound = no ambush. This also negates the viability of trolls, unless you plan on placing characters in each unit.

nope, sorry, there is a -1 to hit him in combat though

I love it when people comment about stuff they don't know about:p

CarlostheCraven
25-01-2006, 03:37
Well, I was half right - there is no general. ;) Its been a long time since I looked at his rules... I recall "disgusting" and "wow, my sportsmanship would suck" coming to mind... and thus turned away from it.

"The Beast-Roar" is the name of the special rule, now that I actually have the book on hand. Very nice, and very fitting for Morghurs background

As for "sounding the horn" more than once, it really does not explicitly forbid sounding it more than once, or restrict it to a specific turn. This is not an issue for any other character as all ambushing units enter play the first time the horn is sounded. Very interesting - I imagine the intent was once a game, but intent means nothing if not expressed properly in the rule. This list is an excellent example of power-gaming, so why not go for broke and use the horn multiple times.

Cheers

IronBrother
27-04-2007, 02:22
Shots from greater than 12" away that would touch Morghur are completely negated (even templates) look under "spirit essence of chaos". And actually everytime I played my Morghur army, I had really great games - and sportsmanship.

SevenSins
27-04-2007, 09:40
Yeah I'm slowly building a morghur list myself, mostly for chaos and fun factor than power gaming. And the fact that bestigors get the raiders rule when led by him.

CarlostheCraven
28-04-2007, 02:30
Hi

Wow. This thread has been dead for over a year, and suddenly it rises up.

If you have been having a good time and good sportsmanship you must not be exploiting the full potential of Morghur. Are you taking full advantage of turning dirt cheap hounds into spawn?

If you are and your opponents are okay with the tactic, then you must be playing with more hardcore players than what we have in Canada in general.

Either that or you are a god of sportsmanship ;)

Cheers,
Carlos the Craven