PDA

View Full Version : GW content on Google Books?

Alessander
28-09-2009, 21:45
note to admins: i'm not promoting piracy with this! it seems that GW had already addressed this by removing copyrighted images (see below).

i've noticed that some OLDER published GW content is being displayed on Google Books. often the images are gone (replaced with the words "copyrighted image" removed by the copyright holder) but the (fully searchable) text seems to be available for a few of the older WHFB publications. check it out.

according to some research, "Google agrees to compensate authors and publishers in exchange for the right to make millions of books available to the public"

EDIT: it seems that availability is based on what region you are accessing google books from. I got my cousin from Ukraine to search and he got different results. probably based on ISP.

Imperius
28-09-2009, 23:54
Its hardly a new fact. You'll see these sorts of things for every company....

Codexes being Torrented, rulebooks being downloaded, models being copied are all just part of living with gamesworkshop. In a way I do not even hate these people, I'm sure if GW pushed me REALLY far (pricewise) I would deffinately be moulding their models and downloading their books.

So far the prices are extravagant, but not enough to justify commiting a felony.

Refyougee
29-09-2009, 00:44
I think GW should just offer electronic versions of the Codexes anyways; it doesn't take a genius to find the pirated versions but the quality of them suffers.

My idea is simple: they could remove all the art/fluff/etc. from the Codex if they wanted to and just post the rules, point values, etc. to help promote new and existing army books.

You're required to have a real copy of the Codex at any half-serious event so people who want to play have to buy it anyways. It would just help those of us who like to plan an army out before buying the Codex/models/whatever, and I really doubt it would hurt their bottom line (because you'll end up buying the book some time). Something tells me it isn't Codex sales that keep GW afloat.

Plus, as it stands, many of the younger players at my local GW store don't even buy the Codex; they just borrow the in-store version when they feel like playing or putting an army together.

That, or they could do something similar to what they did with with Assault On Black Reach; sell pared-down versions of the Codexes for those of us who want to put an army book together without spending 25-35$ just to find out how many points a terminator costs.

Alessander
29-09-2009, 03:16
google books is NOT a piracy/torrent/p2p network, it's a legit online library.

(and foreign GW sites -like GW Japan- has all the codexes available for download for free.)