PDA

View Full Version : What makes a fluffy valhallan army?

jimyg
30-09-2009, 01:35
I have about 40 valhallan models with assorted heavy weapons that I never really did anything with. Lately ive really had the urge to put together a full fledged 1000 pt army. Ive read some background on the syphus cain novels and converted up a model to represent a commissar lord that im pretty happy with. what should a 1000 point army include to make it really authentic?

madprophet
30-09-2009, 04:40
Well, you have to include 1 HQ choice and at least 2 troops choices.

Valhallan forces are from an ice world so they should be dressed in winter gear.

Priests are common with Valhallan forces (according to the last codex) as are conscripts (according to the last codex and the rules for Commander Chenkhov in the current codex)

Check my website for some ideas for using Valhallan sculpts in a fluff driven army (see my sig for a link)

Grimbad
30-09-2009, 05:00
Mortars and conscripts are typical valhallan features.
For bonus points, get a forgeworld heavy mortar or two.

bosstroll
30-09-2009, 09:34
Kittens, kittens make everything fluffy ;)

What Grimbad said, mortars and conscripts.

Human wave tactics are pretty common among Valhallan regiments, so load up on the troop choices.

kylsnik ironhead
30-09-2009, 09:41
And Lots of Commisars

Condottiere
30-09-2009, 12:47
How close are they based on their source? A couple of bottles of vodka won't go amiss.

Wolfblade670
30-09-2009, 17:35
Think Stalinist Russia...IN SPAAACE!!!

Seriously though, look at the World War Two Red army for some good inspiration. LOTS of infantry and artillery. Human wave tactics. Conscripts and penal battalions would work as well. Perhaps even convert up a squad of Mordians as NKVD style Commissariat stormtroopers. If you're an Enemy at the Gates fan, add some snipers. And if you want to go for a later war feel, swarms of basic tanks.

Remember, in Soviet Valhalla, ones roll you!

AndrewGPaul
30-09-2009, 19:51
The previous Codex listed mortars and flamers as preferred support weapons.

Having said that, any such narrow restriction is, IMO, unfluffy. They're not stupid; they'll use any and all available weapons as required. Fighting Chaos Marines? lascannon and plasma guns. Agaist Orks, heavy bolters, flamers and mortars. Chenkov comes across as an extreme example of the "full speed ahead; damn the torpedoes" type of commander. Colonel Kasteen and her 597th regiment are much less frivolous with the lives of her soldiers.

Mannimarco
30-09-2009, 19:56
im just gonna say it, Ciaphas Cain!

get that commissar lord in there

carltmc
30-09-2009, 19:57
Be sure to get a fat smelly guy with a Melta as part of your Command Squad to go with your Ld 2 Commisar.

Ciaphas Cain is a great Source for Valhallans, as he leads the Valhallan 597th, which is actually 2 regiments combined.

Lord_Crull
30-09-2009, 20:54
Depends on who is writing. The Vahallan 597th barely resembles the Vahallans depicted in the Guard codex. The 597th and the 18th Vahllan infantry (Chenkov's regiment) could not be any more different.

AndrewGPaul
30-09-2009, 21:14
im just gonna say it, Ciaphas Cain!

get that commissar lord in there

Ciaphas Cain is a great Source for Valhallans, as he leads the Valhallan 597th, which is actually 2 regiments combined.

No, the 597th is led by Col. Kasteen. Cain is merely the regimental Comissar. He's no Lord. :)

Depends on who is writing. The Vahallan 597th barely resembles the Vahallans depicted in the Guard codex. The 597th and the 18th Vahllan infantry (Chenkov's regiment) could not be any more different.

That was my point. :) If anything, I'd take the Cain novels over the codex, since they came first and cover regimental activities in much more depth. :)

Lord_Crull
30-09-2009, 21:18
That was my point. :) If anything, I'd take the Cain novels over the codex, since they came first and cover regimental activities in much more depth. :)

Actually the Codex descriptions came first, both in 2nd and 3rd editions. Before the novels. I have the original paperback copies to prove it.

carltmc
30-09-2009, 21:45
TBH, Kasteen & Broklaw usually defer to Cain for command purposes.

AndrewGPaul
30-09-2009, 21:53
Actually the Codex descriptions came first, both in 2nd and 3rd editions. Before the novels. I have the original paperback copies to prove it.

I was thinking specifically of Chenkov's unique brand of leadership. Can't quite remember his 2nd edition description, but I don't thin he was quite so uncaring as the current depiction.

spetswalshe
30-09-2009, 22:17
Honestly, if you want to do things right, make the models look unhappy. It also surprises me that the Valhallan models - who come from a cold planet, and and so dress for winter (because surely the Munitorum wouldn't send them somewhere temperate!) - don't appear to be wearing gloves. From what I've read, the people who don't wear gloves in Valhalla end up without hands.

Nice site Madproph, no pictures in the gallery though?

Lord_Crull
30-09-2009, 22:17
I was thinking specifically of Chenkov's unique brand of leadership. Can't quite remember his 2nd edition description, but I don't thin he was quite so uncaring as the current depiction.

You are correct, but even then the Vahallan's where made famous by the human wave tactic and heavy morter use. Essentially WWII Russians in Space.

The 597th, by contrast, is very small (1,000 troopers) almost completely mechanised. And Almost never takes casulties. (Seriously, Reading Traitor's Hand, I can count on two hands the amount of Vahallans who actually die, I'm not including named characters, but all Vahallans over the entire novel)

People call Gaunt's Ghosts Mary Sues, but the Vahallan 597th never seems to really take any kind of serious setback ever.

spetswalshe
30-09-2009, 22:22
Remember, in Soviet Valhalla, ones roll you!

In Soviet Valhalla, grim darkness is the recent past.

Condottiere
30-09-2009, 22:28
You are correct, but even then the Vahallan's where made famous by the human wave tactic and heavy morter use. Essentially WWII Russians in Space.

The 597th, by contrast, is very small (1,000 troopers) almost completely mechanised. And Almost never takes casulties. (Seriously, Reading Traitor's Hand, I can count on two hands the amount of Vahallans who actually die, I'm not including named characters, but all Vahallans over the entire novel)

People call Gaunt's Ghosts Mary Sues, but the Vahallan 597th never seems to really take any kind of serious setback ever.Sounds pretty much like a reinforced pre-Glasnost Soviet mechanized battalion.

Lord_Crull
30-09-2009, 23:17
Sounds pretty much like a reinforced pre-Glasnost Soviet mechanized battalion.

Elaborate? I don't recall Sovets being like that much.

Urath
30-09-2009, 23:20
I think it's a popular misconception that the Soviets were purely "zerg rush" and mortars. Tank Companies, albeit inferior tanks, fought against the Germans the deeper they pushed toward the Fatherland.

Lord_Crull
30-09-2009, 23:24
I am not saying they where unheard of. I was talking about the casulties.

Mannimarco
30-09-2009, 23:25
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanized_corps_(Soviet_Union)

dang i got ninjad twice!

Condottiere
30-09-2009, 23:35
Motor Rifle Battalion

Commander
Staff
1 Tank Company
10 T-80/72 MBTs
3 Motor Rifle Companies
12 BMP-1/2 MICVs
1 Grenade Launcher Platoon
3 BMP-1/2 MICVs
6 AGS-17 Automatic Grenade Launchers
1 Traffic Control Platoon
1 Reconnaissance Platoon
3 BMP-1/2 MICVs
1 BRM-K reconnaissance vehicle
1 Anti Tank Company
2 BMP-1/2 MICVs
4 2A45A 125mm AT Guns
4 AT-4 ATGWs
1 Artillery Battalion
18 2S17 122mm Tracked Howitzers
1 Air Defence Company
3 BMP-1/2 MICVs
9 SA-16 SAMs
4 2S6 AA Tanks
1 Engineer Platoon
1 MTU Bridge Tank
1 IMR Engineer Tank
3 KMT Mine Plows
1 Supply Platoon
1 Medical Platoon
1 Transport Platoon

Grimbad
01-10-2009, 03:23
I think it's a popular misconception that the Soviets were purely "zerg rush" and mortars. Tank Companies, albeit inferior tanks, fought against the Germans the deeper they pushed toward the Fatherland.

But Valhallans are not Soviets, they're pop-culture cliche versions.
Zerg rush and pounding mortars.

Maybe a squadron of russes with no sponsons, if you want some AV14. Sponsons would be a style choice, I think the lowest possible quality of russ (and easiest to manufacture) will fit the valhallans best so I'd go without.

madprophet
01-10-2009, 03:53
Valhallans can be pop-culture soviets, or any cold-weather world troopers, or actual soviets or whatever you want them to be.