PDA

View Full Version : Regiments of Reknown/character question

sephiroth87
17-01-2006, 14:48
I had a question about characters from the Regiments of Reknown joining other units. Here's the situation:

1. Characters from the Regiments of Reknown "cannot leave their unit (unless specified)" (p. 61 on the Regiments of Reknown list)
2. Bronzino from Bronzino's Galloper Gun is a character, and it actually specifies that he can run between units or operate on his own as a character.

Here's the Question:
1. Can Bronzino join another unit that specifically isn't one of his guns? If he's a character, wouldn't he be free to join any unit that he wishes (within the rules, of course)?
2. Can he join a unit of Black Knights? He's a better-than-average combat character, so he's 65 wasted points if he sits with a cannon that moves fast enough to keep away from the enemy.

gukal
17-01-2006, 19:02
I'm not sure what his other limitations may be. However, he may not join Black Knights because only characters with the "Unbreakable" rule may join Unbreakable units.

This is one of the ways they keep living characters out of Undead units (to avoid complications between break tests and crumble rules).

- Gukal

Flame
17-01-2006, 23:26
...which is fine, except undead are technically not unbreakable.

SuperBeast
17-01-2006, 23:33
Book not to hand, but I'm fairly sure that part of the "undead" rule specifies that units may only be joined by "undead" characters?
I know I looked this up some time ago as one of my friends had planned a strigoi army where the strigoi was leading a unit of ghouls and we found he couldn't.

Anyone with the VC book?

gukal
17-01-2006, 23:39
The ghouls have a "Scavenger" special rule that forbids characters.

Undead in general has the rule - "Undead cannot be broken" (pg. 25 laws of undeath, Vampire Counts book). Arguments that this doesn't equate to the special rule "unbreakable" will be promptly ignored. :)

- Gukal

Ganymede
18-01-2006, 03:58
There are three related rules at work here.

1: Undead models may never join non-undead units, and vice versa.

2: Unbreakable models may never join non-unbreakable units, and vice versa.

3: Dogs of war/ Reknown characters may never join non-DoW units, and vice versa.

mageith
18-01-2006, 04:39
Iere's the Question:
1. Can Bronzino join another unit that specifically isn't one of his guns? If he's a character, wouldn't he be free to join any unit that he wishes (within the rules, of course)?

I'd say no. What the rule states: "...he can ride from one team to another..." Team refers to other Galloper Guns, not to any unit as you suggest.

The other part of the rule is little more confusing: "...or operate on his own as a separate character." Characters, of course, can join units but the rule says to me that Bronzino isn't quite that good. He can join teams or operate on his own. Those are his options.

The rules could be clearer.

Mage Ith

Keller
19-01-2006, 14:58
I'd just like to say that Bronzino is actually pretty good to send out on his own, if you plan on buying the guns anyway. I used to replace some of my Great Cannons with the Galloper Guns, and Bronzino would always be used to harry light units, such as skirmishers and fast cavalry, and is especially useful for mage-hunting. He doesn't take hits very well, but can usually do some damage to lighter enemies.