PDA

View Full Version : Could Sentinels with Armoured Crew Compartments still scout?

Mr Kibbles
01-10-2009, 00:02
Hi guys

So despite what the rules say and what the fluff says in the new guard codex, could Armoured Sentinels still scout ahead of a main force? I mean, they could in the last codex. And whats stopping people from saying they're "Armoured" Reconassaince in their regiment's background?

ScItRiX
01-10-2009, 00:06
As long as it not's armed with a plasma cannon then you're good. As there's no wargear option for an armoured crew compartment for the sentinal anymore, it's not even a wysiwyg issue.

Mr Kibbles
01-10-2009, 00:30
I've already made mine with an autocannon, hunter-killer missile and the armoured crew compartment. Can it still scout then?

grissom2006
01-10-2009, 00:40
You'd need to make it clear to the person your playing that they are the scout version as such don't have extra armour as that is the difference between the unit types.

ntin
01-10-2009, 02:00
I would image that the extra weight from the reinforced components limits an armored Sentinel’s mobility and the strain of the engine would be more noticeable. In theory they could scout ahead of the main body in the same way a Basilisk could.

Triszin The Wrath God
01-10-2009, 02:45
a basilsk doesn't need to scout. when they are told to scout, they just shell untill they see enemy movement then say..
THEIR THEY ARE!

Raxmei
01-10-2009, 03:07
Virtually anything can take part in scouting. Infantry, tanks, whatever. That might not be their designed purpose but they can still be employed in the reconnaissance role. An armored sentinel could be used to scout ahead of a main body even though on the tabletop it can not Scout with the big S. As far as rules are concerned you're fine as long as you don't try to apply the scout sentinel's special rules to an armored sentinel.

ntin
01-10-2009, 03:08
/face palm

Aliarzathanil
01-10-2009, 03:58
If what you're asking is if it could scout despite having extra armour as far as the background goes, then no, not really. The guard book lists a few reasons why it isn't suited for this role when up armoured. In a pinch, maybe,but so could a number of other units.
If your asking if, by the rules, you can scout with an armoured sentinel (front armour 12), the answer is also no.
If your asking if you can run it as a scout sentinel in a friendly game as long as your opponent knows it's scouting and open-topped AV10, then yes, probably.

NightrawenII
01-10-2009, 08:47
Hi guys

So despite what the rules say and what the fluff says in the new guard codex, could Armoured Sentinels still scout ahead of a main force? I mean, they could in the last codex. And whats stopping people from saying they're "Armoured" Reconassaince in their regiment's background?

Well, if your regiment dont have Salamanders or normal Sentinels, then yes it will be propably used for recon, but in limited range.

Mr Kibbles
01-10-2009, 09:39
Oh so if i had salamanders in my regiment, that means the sentinels with armour could not scout? :(

Condottiere
01-10-2009, 10:55
This is background, so as it's been pointed out above, anything can be sent on reconnaissance, though it might not be totally suitable for that duty.

You could send a pimp mobile out for recce duty, but unless it's downtown Red Light district, it's going to look overly conspicuous, and might not handle off road conditions well.

Mr Kibbles
01-10-2009, 11:39
Lol. Ok thanks guys.

NightrawenII
01-10-2009, 20:13
Oh so if i had salamanders in my regiment, that means the sentinels with armour could not scout? :(

It isnt called Salamander Scout Vehicle for nothing.:)