PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elves, High Elves & Wood Elves (2000pts)

TheDrugLordX
17-01-2006, 16:03
Okay, so I've done three army lists. All you really have to do is tell me which one you like the best and which one you think would work the best. Though, If you have the time and energy I wouldn't mind additional comments:angel:

Dark Elves

Highborn - 265pts
-Gauntlet of Power, Armour of Darkness
-Dark Pegasus

Sorceress - 182pts
-Wand of the Kharaidon
-Level 2 Wizard
-Dark Steed

Sorceress - 187pts
-Darkstar Cloak, Seal of Ghrond
-Level 2 Wizard
-Dark Steed

Sorceress - 162pts
-Black Staff
-Level 2 Wizard
-Dark Steed

6 Dark Riders - 151pts
-Repeating Crossbows, Musician

5 Dark Riders - 127pts

5 Dark Riders - 127pts

7 Cold One Knights - 271pts
-Soul Shadows Standard
-Standard Bearer

10 Shades - 140pts

2 Cold One Chariots - 194pts
-Spears

-Spears

Total: 2000pts
Power Dice: 9 + 1 bound item
Dispel Dice: 6
Model Count: 40

High Elves

Elf Prince - 284pts
-Bow of the Seafarer, Armour of Protection
-Lance, Shield
-Great Eagle

Commander - 99pts
-Pure of Heart
-Lance, Dragon Armour, Shield
-Elf Steed, Ithilmar Barding

Mage - 192pts
-Seer, Channeler, Silver Wand
-Level 2 Wizard
-Elf Steed

Mage - 187pts
-Jewel of the Dusk, Ring of Fury
-Level 2 Wizard
-Elf Steed

6 Silver Helms - 159pts
-Heavy Armour, Shield, Standard Bearer, Musician

6 Silver Helms - 138pts
-Heavy Armour, Shield

6 Silver Helms - 138pts
-Heavy Armour, Shield

9 Dragon Princes - 329pts
-Banner of Sorcery
-Full Command

5 Ellyrian Reavers - 127pts
-Bows, Spears, Musician

-Bows, Spears, Musician

2 Tiranoc Chariots - 170pts

Great Eagle - 50pts

Power Dice: 7 + d3 + 1 bound item
Dispel Dice: 4
Model Count: 45

Wood Elves

Wild Rider Noble - 162pts
-Hail of Doom Arrow, Enchanted Shield
-Light Armour, Spear, Longbow
-Elf Steed

Alter Highborn - 286pts
-The Spirit Sword, The Helm of the Hunt, Fimbulwinter Shard
-Light Armour, Shield

Spellsinger - 162pts
-Calingor's Stave
-Elf Steed

Spellsinger - 162pts
-Dispel Scroll
-Elf Steed

6 Glade Riders - 153pts
-Musician

5 Glade Riders - 129pts
-Musician

5 Glade Riders - 129pts
-Musician

5 Warhawk Riders - 200pts

6 Wild Riders - 174pts
-Standard, Musician

6 Wild Riders - 174pts
-Standard, Musician

9 Waywatchers - 216pts

Great Eagle - 50pts

Total: 1997pts
Power Dice: 6
Dispel Dice: 4 + 1 dispel scroll
Model Count: 47

A neutral shade of black.
17-01-2006, 17:20
I can only comment on the DE one, but here goes. Comments in the quote.

Dark Elves

Highborn - 265pts
-Gauntlet of Power, Armour of Darkness
-Dark Pegasus
zomg this guy is bad. You get an equivalent save on a cold one with full mundane armour. A DP is not the place for an expensive, fragile model that happens to also be your general. I can see where you're trying to go, but it doesn't work. He'll be much better off on a steed with enchanted shield and full mundane armour.

Sorceress - 182pts
-Wand of the Kharaidon
-Level 2 Wizard
-Dark Steed
Sure, even though a noble would do a better job at surviving what will be tossed at him (highly mobile d6 S5 hits = priority target).

Sorceress - 187pts
-Darkstar Cloak, Seal of Ghrond
-Level 2 Wizard
-Dark Steed
She doesn't really need the steed, but since it's all-cav...

Sorceress - 162pts
-Black Staff
-Level 2 Wizard
-Dark Steed
Ditch the staff, give her the Seal instead.
Alternatively, tou could ditch her, give the Seal to the first sorceress, get a noble on steed in full mundane kit and lance, give him the wand and perhaps give scrolls to both your sorceresses. You don't really need three, especially when this one has near-useless item selection. I like the three sorceresses, though. In any case, you'll want a scroll for that crucial spell that cannot be allowed to go through.

6 Dark Riders - 151pts
Points squeezing? Drop one rider.

5 Dark Riders - 127pts

5 Dark Riders - 127pts

7 Cold One Knights - 271pts
-Soul Shadows Standard
-Standard Bearer
Joined by...? You'd be better off playing them in a block of five with SSS or ten with FC and SSS if you can find the point. Would be much more useful as nine + highborn, but it's going to attract fire and costs a hell of a lot of points.

10 Shades - 140pts
And where do you intend to hide them? Five or six are plenty enough.

-Spears

-Spears

Power Dice: 9 + 1 bound item
Dispel Dice: 6
Model Count: 40

TheDrugLordX
18-01-2006, 17:49
At least one comment. No one else out there that have any comments?

I don't want to make the Cold One Knights too strong, as I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket. By splitting the effectivness between units my opponent will, hopefully, have more targets than he can deal with.

I think the highborn has its uses, I just have to be careful with his positioning and make sure he only tries to beat things he can handle.

I don't think 10 shadow warriors are too many, thuogh, I might just as well ditch two for a DS.

The dark magic which the Dark Elves use have very good potential spells, many of whom are very short ranged. With the steeds (18" movement) they'll be able to cast spells whereever they want to (I really like that steal soul spell).

CarlostheCraven
18-01-2006, 18:45
I would choose the high elf list, mostly because I find heavy cav performs better than fast cav. The improved durability of the heavy cav more than compensates for the loss of manoeuvrability.

Add to that better combat potential from your characters VS the DArk elf list and far better magic than the Wood elf list, the high elf seem to come out ahead of the other lists.

However, I might re-equip your high born. Drop the armour, the eagle and the lance, replacing it with the item/honour that allows him to scout. He then decomes a marchblocking, bolt-thrower wielding pain in the neck.

Running units of heavy cav with ranks is somewhat counter-productive IMO, as you pay a fortune in points for +1 rank bonus, especially when that unit is Dragon Princes (roughly 150 pts give or take in this list). I would run the unit 7 wide in total, so the noble and 6 friends. this would allow for a casuality or two on the way in and would still give you decent frontage in combat. The 90 pts you have freed up along with the savings on the lord would allow the purchase of another unit of silver helms. Or, potentially 3 more great eagles.

Cheers

Lord Anathir
18-01-2006, 19:21
yup...the high elf list looks like the best one for the tactics you seem to like (cavalry) they have the best cavalry list by far.

TheDrugLordX
19-01-2006, 11:49
Most people seem to prefer the high elf list.

I guess I have to try 'em all and see which one works the best.

jigplums
19-01-2006, 14:32
yeah you certainly do like cavalry. Ever thought of adding in a few Foot-units to make the game slightly more interesting?

TheDrugLordX
19-01-2006, 18:09
Why wouldn't it be interesting to play with only cavalry?

I used to play an all-infantry HE list. But want to try something else. Also, as I'm making a new army from scratch, I thought that it would be easiest to make a low model count army to start with (ie all-mounted).

ShadowSoul
20-01-2006, 19:26
For the HE list, I'd advise changing up your Prince and Commander a bit.

Prince has a 5+ armour save and a 4+ Ward save. Ditch the Armour of Protection for either Helm of Fortune/Enchanted Shield (2+ rerolled) or Guardian Phoenix/Enchanted Shield (3+ AS, 5+ Ward).

Commmander, give him Helm of Fortone if your Prince doesnt have it (makes him impossible to kill for rank and file).

TheDrugLordX
21-01-2006, 00:15
Thank you, that are really nice tips.

After some calculations I've concluded that the 2+ rerollable armour save will do best in most cases. And therefor I'll stick to that.

Franco
05-03-2007, 15:52
Go with the WE list!!!

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
05-03-2007, 16:28
you've clearly got a style of armies going there, and it happens to be a style that I'm not keen on and I dont really think it would world well. IMHO you really do need some infantry to make an army work. (I could be wrong) Although I think those sort of armies would be interesting and fun to play with.
I can't believe they are all 2k armies and none have over 50 men!!!

pcgamer72
05-03-2007, 17:26
I like the DE list the most. It is a bit more versatile and it seems solid enough.

Tarian
05-03-2007, 17:39
High Elves - With additional commentary.

Elf Prince - 284pts
-Bow of the Seafarer, Armour of Protection
-Lance, Shield
-Great Eagle

Prince on Eagle? Mobile Bolt Thrower. For BS6, not bad. Seems a bit frail though.

Commander - 99pts
-Pure of Heart
-Lance, Dragon Armour, Shield
-Elf Steed, Ithilmar Barding

Well, he's cheap and gives decent combat punch.

Mage - 192pts
-Seer, Channeler, Silver Wand
-Level 2 Wizard
-Elf Steed

Not bad, though I prefer putting Seer with the Jewel, since that lets me cast the spells I choose with that additional dice.

Mage - 187pts
-Jewel of the Dusk, Ring of Fury
-Level 2 Wizard
-Elf Steed

I would highly recommend a scroll caddie.

6 Silver Helms - 159pts
-Heavy Armour, Shield, Standard Bearer, Musician

6 Silver Helms - 138pts
-Heavy Armour, Shield

6 Silver Helms - 138pts
-Heavy Armour, Shield

I like adding a banner and champion to helm units. You're going to be: 1) Outnumbered 2) Outranked and if you don't have a banner, 3) Outbannered. That's 1 for outnumber, 3 for ranks, and 1 for a banner. Your knights will have to kill 5 models to break even, assuming they don't take any losses. It'll be worse if there's a BSB or War Banner in the enemy unit.

9 Dragon Princes - 329pts
-Banner of Sorcery
-Full Command

Not bad, but DPs are kinda expensive for their fire immunity.

-Bows, Spears, Musician

-Bows, Spears, Musician

I don't like Ellyrian Reavers. S3 shooting and low armor doesn't mean they can kill or survive. I'd rather take a couple blocks of Swordmasters or Spears, unless you're going for a full-mounted list. Then, I'd replace one with another Helm unit and drop the other to give the rest command groups.

2 Tiranoc Chariots - 170pts

I've never personally used them, but I don't like what I saw of them, but that's just me.

Great Eagle - 50pts

I don't know what the facination is with Eagles. Yes, they're S4 T4, but one can't shut down enemy mages/artillery without getting blown to bits. Personally, I like RBTs better, as they give much needed punch against things like knights or dragons.

Power Dice: 7 + d3 + 1 bound item
Dispel Dice: 4
Model Count: 45

Anyhow, there's my thoughts on your list.

warhawk95
06-03-2007, 23:39
alright, i can only comment on the HE list so here it goes:

the prince seems a little weak, yea a +4 AS is good but only a +5 AS, T 3?. plus you wont benfit much from his Ld. abiltiys. i would put him on a horse with Helm of Fortune, Sword of Might, Gaurdian Pheonix, Ring of Fury, Barded horse,HA and a Shield. a nice re-rollable +1 AS and a +5 WS with the +1 S, and to complement the magic phase a ring. the other three pose a problem, i say for HE as a rule of thumb 3 max. so i would drop one, being a an all cav list i would drop a mage and keep the commander, but if you want the extra magic drop the commander. the commander i would re-tool to be barder horse, lance, HA, reaver bow, and enchanted shield, not a bad fighter and with the reaver bow he makes his points back quickly.
the mages are a different story, if your doing one a lvl 1 with 2 scrolls and channeller constantly casting drain magic of the first level. or you could do 2, you can do a couple of things:
1) a lvl 2 with seer and scroll and a lvl 1 with annulian crsystal, good magic deffensed
2) a lvl2 with seer and a scroll and a lvl 2 with JoD and seer, more well rounder offense and deffense
3) a lvl 2 with seer, silver wand, and channeller and a lvl 2 with JoD with ring of corin, much more offensive

i reccomend one or two if you want to do 2 mages.
the core is not bad, in a all-calv army take big unit of 10 with banner of ellyrian and take 3 units that are smaller like 5 and 6. the big one charges the front while the smaller and charitots support it. you did with DP but they are too costy IMO. you can also do 4-5 units of smaller SH like 5-6 running around using flank charges and stuff on the weaker guy and combined with chariots on the big guy, but in an all calv army rember you must get the flank with lots of combined charges, HE arent brettonia we cant do frontal charges and excpect to win with no support.
the special is kinda wierd. the dp are too big, make them 5-6 give them a champ with blessed tome and a standard with a magic banner (only BoS is you take 2 mages for offense or well rounded, if not either skip it or take war banner). much more flexible in the means that they can get around easier and with the blessed tome they are ld. 10 so any unit nearby is going to benfit from them. 2 units of reavers is ok in this type of army, i personally take 2 also but my army is alot different. take one and dont give them bows they pointless, use them and the great eagles to march block so your calvary can get the flank, they can also take down war machines and lone mages really well. with the spare points from the DP get 2 more charitos, in a standard HE list 2 is plenty but in an all calv 4 is much better the 18" charge and impacts with SH on the flank can break most people.
to finsh the list the rare add a great eagle to make 2 and you have 2 guys that can do plenty of tasks.
with that you have a well balanced all calv list for HE dont know about the others.....

Rathstar
07-03-2007, 00:31
Hi,

If you want to heavy magic with the dark elves I'd suggest going with a high sorceress on a dark steed, and then have a cheap noble on a dark steed or with the knights. Definetely consider the SSS on the knghts, it's also useful for saving thier butt if they go stupid, as they can still flee (which normally they can't if they've gone stupid).

Rathstar

Lander
11-05-2007, 14:59
The Wood Elf list looks to be the best. Of course the flying BS6 Bolt Thrower is sure to give any one a headache, preferable any one with Chosen Chaos Knights or the like. All Calvary High Elf armys do well. I like this HE list kudos to Rob Lane
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/highelves/gaming/armies/lane/default.htm

Franco
11-05-2007, 15:21
I think the DE list is abit weak!!! It hasn't got that many units for one (same with the others) but aswell, if my mate put that on the table i would feel quietly confident. There arn't many units and they are small units, so can be out numbered very easily by O&G. 3x20 orcs and 20 SO would (IMHO) trash the DE list.

Lander
11-05-2007, 15:31
I think the DE list is abit weak!!! It hasn't got that many units for one (same with the others) but aswell, if my mate put that on the table i would feel quietly confident. There arn't many units and they are small units, so can be out numbered very easily by O&G. 3x20 orcs and 20 SO would (IMHO) trash the DE list.

The Dark Riders with Chariot support could fair well.

night2501
11-05-2007, 15:34
you DOreally like cavalry don`t you...
so my 2 cents is ... GO AND PLAY BRETONIA
wlves are not made for all cavalry armies, the one that does best that way is HE, that`s why people tell you to choose it, but the true, I played against that list before and is not big deal, if you want to do that army aniway, take the fighty chars and put all mages, stay in your line waiting for the other to be close to charge while you blast him with magic, take the reavers and put some RBT and change the dragon princes for more silver helms...

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
11-05-2007, 15:48
just because you like cavalry doesn't mean you like bretonia. Elves have a completly different feel to them, and if I wanted a cavalry heavy army, then I'd stick with elves not bretts.

Franco
11-05-2007, 16:05
Well its like saying if you like shooting then play with WE. Bret's are quite known for their lovely cavalry, and i think he said that because brets have alot of cavalry. But armies now have a mixture, like O&G have some good magic, CC fighters and others (but still lack in shooting) and other armies coming out will have a more variety to their battles. So my point is that now you can't just say Brets because they are a cavalry army or WE because they are a shooting army. But i still understand why he said it and i sometimes i say it to!!!

theunwantedbeing
11-05-2007, 16:24
The DE or HE list seem to be the better of the 3 lists.
Both seem roughly as good as the other.

I'de say the HE list is slightly the better of the 2,mainly due to having those 2bound items and having your highborn with the bow of the seafarer.
Otherwise they are basically equal.

night2501
11-05-2007, 17:47
just because you like cavalry doesn't mean you like bretonia. Elves have a completly different feel to them, and if I wanted a cavalry heavy army, then I'd stick with elves not bretts.

yes they have a completly diferent fell, and that`s why it should be played diferent too, one thing is going cavalry heavy and the other is taking all cavalry and chariots, if you want an all cavalry army play bretonia, HE, DE, and WE don`t work that way...
now if you want to do a cavalry heavy army with elves, go ahead I thinks it great, like a WE army based around the border kindred that raise horses, or the wild hunt with kurnos, but you also take some glade guard (really a WE army without archers is no WE army...), maybe a couple of waywatchers or some wardancers