PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as a "chaos" purity seal

Eos Rahh
02-10-2009, 03:14
Ran across a long thread about purity seals that space marines had and I started to wonder. Do chaos marines have chaos purity seals or curruption seal?

Anywhere fluff wise does it ever come up or even exist?

Sikkukkut
02-10-2009, 03:33
There are plenty of references to Chaos glyphs and stigmatic symbols that hurt the eye and torment the brain, worn on armour or banners. Mandragore Carrion in Xenos wore them on his armour, for example, as I remember it. I don't think they're formalised by a single name, though.

(The creepy thing is that their wearers don't always set out to put them there - you just find them on your armour or skin one day... :eek:)

Melchiah
02-10-2009, 03:50
Ran across a long thread about purity seals that space marines had and I started to wonder. Do chaos marines have chaos purity seals or curruption seal?

Anywhere fluff wise does it ever come up or even exist?

Do you mean does a choas lord hold a party and reward someone for being a marksmen or having valour or do you mean does chaos just flatout give rewards them.
1) Most likely not
2) Their called Marks of (Khorne.......) and Mutations.

Grimbad
02-10-2009, 03:51
Litanies of hate written and tacked to things would be more common. Of all the legions, Word Bearers would be most likely to have dangly parchment.

chromedog
02-10-2009, 05:18
Impurity or impiety seals would probably be apropriate for Word Bearers.

MajorWesJanson
02-10-2009, 07:00
I'd imagine their seals use strips of skin in place of parchment.

grissom2006
02-10-2009, 07:48
Impurity or impiety seals would probably be apropriate for Word Bearers.

I'd imagine their seals use strips of skin in place of parchment.

Can go along with both of these i could imagine skulls of the slain inscibed as well with oaths to the gods upon them.

Lord Asgul
02-10-2009, 11:22
I would agree with some of the people here, with that litanies and strips of skin are more likely to be found on Word Bearers and most warbands originating from from particular legion. Also I would picture them also being on Cultists, Chaos Fanatics and any Fanatical Chaos Space Marines who worship the Chaos Gods a lot...but not on, say, Iron Warriors or Alpha Legion.

However, Night Lords may have strips of skin on them anyways just for the sheer terror value of seeing someone's decaying, flayed face on a rather evil looking Chaos Marine...

Imperialis_Dominatus
02-10-2009, 11:45
If they carry on any of the old Legion traditions they could be oaths of moment, taken in the name of the Gods rather than the Emperor.

totgeboren
02-10-2009, 11:51
I think the practice would only be found in legions/warbands that still employ Chaplains.
A purity seal is a reward given to someone for displayed religious dedication. To be given a reward such as this, you would need some kind of religious authority to recognize your dedication.

It would just be silly if someone wrote them themselves a bunch of seals declaring how righteous they are... ^^

Oh, and as as Imperialis_Dominatus said, they could be other kinds of declarations, like the Oaths of Moment that the Luna Wolves declared before battle.

randian
05-10-2009, 02:14
A purity seal is a reward given to someone for displayed religious dedication. To be given a reward such as this, you would need some kind of religious authority to recognize your dedication.
I thought purity seals were anti-Chaos items, to defend you against corruption and Chaos magic.

I'd think that Chaos troops would find that sort of thing quite valuable, since it's only your own brand of Chaos you want to be exposed to. Khornate warriors wanting to keep those sneaky Tzeentchians out of their heads, for example, or even rivals from opposing warbands of the same god.

Bolter Bait
05-10-2009, 02:41
Likely the act of adorning oneself with a purity seal received from an authority figure has become subsumed in wearing trophies or fetishes, particularly in the Legions whose structure of authority has crumbled or vanished entirely.

Word Bearers are the most likely Traitor Legion to maintain a perverse incarnation of purity seals, be it unholy litanies of faith or commendations from the Dark Apostle in reward for dedicated service to the powers of Chaos. Really, the question I have is "Would a Word Bearer still consider their seals to be pure from their perspective?"

After all, it would be ironic if they referred to their dedications as impure, for it would signify that their faith in Chaos is false compared to faith in the Emperor.

Griffindale
05-10-2009, 05:50
I think they probably just carry trophies from their various battles. I don't see chaos lords awarding any sort of medals. Its not something they would do. Just trophies, marks, and mutations.

totgeboren
05-10-2009, 05:58
That little detail always gets to me. Of course the Word Bearers would see themselves as pure, righteous and all-round awesome.
"Impurity" seal? Who would ever want one of those?

Very few fallen marines should view themselves as the bad guys. Its like how "freedom fighters"/"terrorists" often start with a utopian dream, but to get there they have to do more and more extreme stuff, and in the end, they are no better than the ones they are trying to overthrow. However, they do not see themselves as the bad guys. They are the good guys, its just that war is war, and war demands sacrifice.

It would just be silly if a Thousand Sons Sorcerer said "mohahaha, I'm such a generic evil villain!"

Such stuff fits for children shows and Bond movies. This game might fit there too, but I prefer it when there is some more depth to the plot than that.

Lord Asgul
05-10-2009, 11:17
It would just be silly if a Thousand Sons Sorcerer said "mohahaha, I'm such a generic evil villain!"

Didn't that happen in one of Goto's books :evilgrin:

Imperialis_Dominatus
05-10-2009, 12:58
That little detail always gets to me. Of course the Word Bearers would see themselves as pure, righteous and all-round awesome.
"Impurity" seal? Who would ever want one of those?

Very few fallen marines should view themselves as the bad guys. Its like how "freedom fighters"/"terrorists" often start with a utopian dream, but to get there they have to do more and more extreme stuff, and in the end, they are no better than the ones they are trying to overthrow. However, they do not see themselves as the bad guys. They are the good guys, its just that war is war, and war demands sacrifice.

Such stuff fits for children shows and Bond movies. This game might fit there too, but I prefer it when there is some more depth to the plot than that.

That's precisely why I suggested the Legion practices tie-in- because I believe the Legions, when properly done, are not the mustache-twirling supervillain caricatures they are made out to be when improperly done. Their history as a Legion and subsequent betrayal, and their obsession with that past, is what makes them remotely able to be empathized with.

The more martial or secular Legions might stick to the Oaths of Moment, whereas the more religious might consider them their own 'purity' seals, or a fitting type of honor for their particular faith. Seals of Might for World Eaters, Purity Seals for Word Bearers (since they undoubtedly see themselves as 'pure,' as you say).

LexxBomb
05-10-2009, 16:21
There are plenty of references to Chaos glyphs and stigmatic symbols that hurt the eye and torment the brain, worn on armour or banners. Mandragore Carrion in Xenos wore them on his armour, for example, as I remember it. I don't think they're formalised by a single name, though.

(The creepy thing is that their wearers don't always set out to put them there - you just find them on your armour or skin one day... :eek:)

well that would be because power armour (at least in the old fluff) changed its appearance based upon whom was wearing it... Inquisitor Draco put on a suit of Chaos Power Armour and it magicly reshaped itself to resemble a suit worthy of a Chappter master or a High Lord Inquisitor...an another example is the Dark Angel marine marooned in the Eye of Terror in the novel "Eye of Terror" So the armour reacts to the wearer and displays their allegance, this would explain why the chaos Sigals and Spikes just appear on chaos armour without the wearer actively paintng them on.