PDA

View Full Version : Yeah! Eldar on there way(for me)

Calindor
17-01-2006, 18:14
I īm just so happy as I just started a army for 40k! And the army is eldar. I got a battleforce together with a support weapon. Feels wonderful to actually going to get on. Iīm actually a veteran since the begining of 40k and had a chaos army but it never reached above 750p. Took a break in the begining of 1990 something and came back in 1999 to start again. But it never happend and instead I just bought all White Dwarves, and most of the codixes. Every new army got me into the "new army syndrom" and I could never get me a a total army even if lot of diffrent models to diffrent armies, like tyranids, witchhunters, thousands sons etc. But now I have decided to get at leasts one 1500p painted army. As I didnīt want a powersuit army the choses where not many. Also horde armies are not for me as painting is not the most thing I like about the hobby. Because of that it became eldar. A fine chose and one of the original armies for 40k with a rich background. Sadly I have missed much but I hope to gather the piece here and there.

So I just want to share my joy with this great forum. Not everything about GW is bad. They have got me many fine hours of joy and will contuie to give that, specially now when I can finally play the game!

p.s hope noone thought this was rumors for the upcoming eldar army. I know nothing about GWs plans except what I hear here.

plasmamike
17-01-2006, 18:19
good luck to you this time around.

Im with you on GW, They can certainly do some things right.

Warp Zero
17-01-2006, 21:43
So I just want to share my joy with this great forum. Not everything about GW is bad. They have got me many fine hours of joy and will contuie to give that, specially now when I can finally play the game!

p.s hope noone thought this was rumors for the upcoming eldar army. I know nothing about GWs plans except what I hear here.

Ah, I remember those days when I felt like Calindor. Back when 3rd edition just came out. My friends and I were excited about finally jumping into 40k. After years of only looking through White Dwarf and not actually playing, we were all gonna jump into it together. [I had only briefly played 40k way back in the late 80's in Rogue Trader era]

Then as the years worn on, I began to realize my mistake. I picked Eldar. Along with Dark Eldar and Orks, the most unsupported army out there. Used to be Sisters and Tyranids, but not anymore. My joy got whittled down bit by bit every time the Marines got a new variant character or something. Still playing with 2nd Edition Wraithguard, Warpspiders, Wraithlord, Bikers ......

Calindor, you will most likely not have to worry about having to travel the path I did. If the rumors are true about there being a new Eldar Codex on the near horizon, you have joined about the right time.

But knowing GW's track history, in combination with my bitter expectations, it'll most likely be: Tau Codex and new models in Spring, City Fight II in Summer, Dark Angels Codex in Fall Winter, then the shocking news of Codex Necrons being up for Spring 2007. :(

I know, I know....absolutely unrealistic and impossible right? Well, we all said that too when we first started hearing rumors that Codex Tau was next didn't we?

Get ready to join the club Calindor. Get ready to hear from other fans that the reason why we don't have new Eldar models is because GW has limited resources/personel to put toward 'new' minis. Then get ready to see Black Templars have a whole new sculpted minis, or Dark Angels, or whatever.

What? Am I being a killjoy? Just preparing the lad for what he's gonna have to experience is all. ;) I won't even go into his first series of battles where he gets pasted over and over .....then realizes he can't be competitive unless he cheezes out his army.

Anyways, on a more positive note: welcome to the fold Calindor. If you have a good group of friends to play with, not too much of the BS from GW will effect your game experience. You'll still have fun anyways.

Ares
17-01-2006, 23:34
Killjoy- yes

Truthfull- yes

boogle
17-01-2006, 23:42
The Eldar WILL be out sometime this year (it has been rumoured that they will fall into the end of Cities of Death and the Beginning of WFB7)

Orbital
17-01-2006, 23:48
Well, it's nice to know that when you're happy about something that someone will take on the onerous task of stepping forward to kick you in the balls so until you forget you're in a good mood.

Every army comes with a list of problems, but those problems mainly concern hardcore gamers and, even when they do, it doesn't erase how much fun you can still have. I'm a harcore Eldar player and, even after years of playing, I'm still having a great time with them. There's no reason why anything in the world should stop you from having the same experience, Calindor. I'm starting my third Eldar army now and I have no reservations whatsoever. Neither should you!

Calindor
18-01-2006, 07:21
I understand that GW support marines much more then any other army. And itīs very unfair to the players that chose a none marine army. I tihnk White Dwarf is a perfect medium to bring more support to armies like eldar, orks and necrons.

But a fact is that the current eldar models(at leasts many of them) are really good. and with the great communities that exits out on the internet you can find lot of intersting and fun things about your special army. Of course itīs not offical but still it can be very good(with of course lot of crap too). I know that I now take a step into the GW world and will be spending at least 200-250 euro. Much money but Iīm sure it will give lot of fun. Feels good to finally have a goal and somthing to think about when you have does hard hours at work to struggle with. The support that GW gives is that I can buy my army, I can play with it and find lot of new friends. Not to bad a deal. And something I have learned is patince. Itīs always good to have ;)

Orbital
18-01-2006, 07:30
One thing I like about Eldar is that you can really shape it to be something you want. Feel like playing a horde army? Get yourself a whole lot of Guardians and go for it. Want to play all mobilized? Either fill up on Wave Serpents and Falcons, or go Saim-Hann. Like psychic powers? Ulthwe, baby. Like to do hardcore assault? Scorpions, Storm Guardians and Banshees at your service. Prefer to shoot from a distance? Dark Reapers are just one of your options. Prefer short-ranged firefights? Fire Dragons, Defender Guardians.

You can really tool it up the way you want it. That's why I like my Eldar army; when I'm in the mood to change my playing style, there's something there for me to work with.

Calindor
18-01-2006, 11:08
Myself are leaning against short-ranged firefights. With guardians, support weapon and a nice elite counter-charge unit like scorpions or something. I really do like that you can tool it for a lot of diffrent things. I do enjoy to have options. and eldar seems to be very good for this. But what is also very nice is the background that give lots and lots of fun thing to work with. Itīs great :)

IG88
18-01-2006, 12:41
Don't forget the best thing about Eldar is how good they look when they're all painted up nice. Of course, if you're like me you'll get tired of painting 8000 Guardians and shelve the Eldar in favor of Deathwing with 25 models tops. But still, the point is that Eldar are not only pretty staunch gamewise, but they're also frigg'n pretty.

By the way, speaking of a killjoy, whatever happened to Killjoy from Portent? Sometimes I miss that guy.

Calindor
18-01-2006, 14:04
Well, iīm not there yet with my own fully painted army but every fullpainted army is a beauty indeed :) Canīt wait to have my own. Have desided to go with a white armour with purple in it for the basic guardian. I belivie it will look very nice indeed :) (or at least i hope)

Warp Zero
18-01-2006, 22:39
Well, it's nice to know that when you're happy about something that someone will take on the onerous task of stepping forward to kick you in the balls so until you forget you're in a good mood.

Well, personally, I don't think posting a statement that is laced with bitterness is on the same intensity of getting kicked in the balls. ;) But yes, I realize I was being a downer. But I also don't mind being the bad guy if I can offer the man a counter point.

Every army comes with a list of problems, but those problems mainly concern hardcore gamers and, even when they do, it doesn't erase how much fun you can still have.

Well, I am not a hardcore gamer, more of a casual one really. But despite that, I still feel the absence of attention GW has for Eldar. Does it ruin the game? Not by much granted. The negatives are outweighed by the positives. The positive being that I have a bunch of really cool friends to play with. If it wasn't for that, I would've stopped playing a long time ago.

But there is a line that can eventually be reached where the negatives become so numerous, that it is no longer fun. GW isn't there yet with the Eldar and I ..... but if another year goes by and I see new Veteran Dark Angels box set or whatever instead of a new Wraithlord .... I'm gonna reach that point.

GW is awfully close. The pricing isn't helping either.

I'm a harcore Eldar player and, even after years of playing, I'm still having a great time with them. There's no reason why anything in the world should stop you from having the same experience, Calindor. I'm starting my third Eldar army now and I have no reservations whatsoever. Neither should you!

Its awesome that you've maintain such enthusiasm over the years Orbital. Not to give you the impression that I'm all bitter all the time.....its just some of the time. Mostly recently. Before it wasn't so bad. It kinda waxes and wanes. I love my Eldar too. Its just that different people go into the hobby with different expectations. Mine were different so of course, my road with Eldar was different than yours.

If Calindor can have fun...and have pride in collecting and playing with one of GW's neglected red-headed stepchildren, then that's fantastic. And again,like I said in my previous post, he will not have to experience the same thing I did because Eldar are coming up soon. Even if its not till 2007 or 2008, its still sooner than the amount of time I've been waiting.

Orbital
18-01-2006, 22:45
I think the craptastic quality of Eldar is grossly overplayed in general. You can still build armies that win, that look good, and that are fun. Not everything is perfect, of course; I'd like to see more out of my jetbikes/shining spears, out of my avatar, and from the basic guardian. Even so, I'm still painting lots of gorgeous models, composing varied and playable lists and reading some really enjoyable fluff.

Orks? Now that's an army I really *do* feel some sympathy for. I want to see the Eldar codex out soon for my own sake, but I personally feel that Orks are worse off and need theirs more badly. The only reason I'll be able to look at myself in the mirror if the Eldar codex is out before Orks is because I know revamping the Orks is such a huge job that smaller jobs will get completed before it.

Exarch
18-01-2006, 23:42
Hey, guys. Though I'm new to Warseer, I've been playing since the late 80's and have had MANY Eldar armies. The are one of the trickiest and therefore fun armies to play. I get disgusted with GW too, but overall I love the game and will probably continue whipping everyone for years to come.
I can't wait for the new codex, but I must say that I agree about the orks. They need it worse than we do.
To Calindor I say - The Eldar are a very competitive army and you'll have fun with them.

p.s.
Do you think it's hardcore to have the Avatar rune tatooed on your arm?

Orbital
19-01-2006, 01:12
Tattoo it on your butt and you'll really be showing your commitment!

Calindor
19-01-2006, 10:47
That GW with several armies has almost all forgot to do anything to them, like orks, eldar and necrons are very sad. All of those armies are really cool and give much of background and specially orks and eldar are basic race from the step that 40k took. GW should indeed do better in this area.

But it will not stop me, I will try to get a really cool army that I know is fun to have. and then GW can catch up with me and all others ;)

Orbital
19-01-2006, 19:43
I would phrase it just a little differently and say that GW did not leave themselves enough time to do anything cool with certain codices. When 3rd ed was introduced, all of the codices of the time were made completely obsolete. This is why you see all the armies' "mini-dexes" right in the 3rd ed rulebook; without those, no one would have been able to play.

After that, GW quickly barfed up codices for all the various armies, as the ones in the rulebook obviously wouldn't cut it as anything more than a stopgap. Thing is, these codices were also very rushed, and it shows; for instance, everyone knows that the Ork codex doesn't even have a list of their own weapon stats! It's this generation of publications that our current Ork and Eldar books are from.

So then the refining and republishing of army codices began... complete with real fluff and real play-testing... and this is no short process. Even when video games are being play-tested it takes months and months to accomplish; how much longer is a table-top game going to take when you can't just have the users auto-download a patch to the ruleset, or if they can only test against other people instead of against a computer? And then there are the new model sculpts... even more time goes into that. Last, but not least, GW puts its attention into more things than just the rewriting of outdated codices, especially if those books can still sorta hold water for a little while longer. At this point I begin to see what the big delay since the last Eldar codex is about; GW is constantly running around trying to put duct tape over holes in the boat while, at the same time, trying to rebuild other sections of boat while it's already in the water. Whether or not they do the job well is a matter of opinion, but the job itself is undeniably difficult.

Calindor
20-01-2006, 05:58
Your comparing with GW and a licking boat is very true. I do hope they fix it and pull it together. Because it would be a very nice boat ride.

Orbital
20-01-2006, 06:00
I don't think I compared GW to a "Licking Boat". I said "Leaking boat" but for some reason I like your analogy better. :)

Sildani
20-01-2006, 11:55
I just can't imagine that... I mean, Eldar vehicles may well envince life-like behavior, but come on...

Calindor
20-01-2006, 12:08
LOL, a small word missplaced(Iīm not english) but I think that it is some meaning behind it ;)

Orbital
20-01-2006, 12:38
Just think how awesome it would have been if you also misspelled "boat".

Necroloid
20-01-2006, 23:08
Luckily you do not have to wait that long for the codex