PDA

View Full Version : Logan and Canis... Making life difficult?

Voracioustigger
03-10-2009, 16:52
Sorry if this has been posted before... I couldn't find this mentioned (at least not for Canis) while using the search function.

Did anyone notice the omission of the word "may" from Logan's Wolf Guard and Canis's FWs?

"Fenrisian wolves COUNT AS troops" for Canis (Not "can also be taken as" or "may be" troops), so basically any Wolves that you take in a Canis army are detracting from your scoring units and other Troops.

Similarly, for Logan, it isn't an either or... WG = Troops.

For Logan, it's not so bad... if you could have 2A marines for 18pts... why not take them? But for Canis, it's a HUGE pain. In order to get the maximum benefit from his abilities, you probably want to take at least 3 units of Wolves... but that leaves you with a max of 3 scoring units. I mean, unless you are going for all Cavalry (like 3 units of TWC and a couple FW squads), Canis seems to be a bit of a crutch.

It seems that people are interpreting his rule to say either/or... which is odd because the wording is so explicit. What do people think?

grissom2006
03-10-2009, 18:50
Yes we know but you don't have to take a unit of WG or the wolves if you do happen to decide to use either character. The wolves wouldn't last to long but do have numbers on their side to a degree. It's aimed to add character and to encourage a person to fight using a theme. Just the whole Thunderwolf part is a little off puttine to some on here.

starlight
03-10-2009, 19:30
The part that puzzled me was Wolf Guard *count as* Troops...and losing Elite selections as well...I was figuring they'd be selectable as both...

grissom2006
03-10-2009, 19:32
The part that puzzled me was Wolf Guard *count as* Troops...and losing Elite selections as well...I was figuring they'd be selectable as both...

Well thats something we hope a FAQ will change.

Gaargod
03-10-2009, 19:51
Oddly, you can more WG without Logan than with - by taking Wolf Lords, each one may 1 WG count as troops. So potentially 7 as opposed to 6.

Welcome to useless facts.

Voracioustigger
03-10-2009, 19:58
Yes we know but you don't have to take a unit of WG or the wolves if you do happen to decide to use either character. The wolves wouldn't last to long but do have numbers on their side to a degree. It's aimed to add character and to encourage a person to fight using a theme. Just the whole Thunderwolf part is a little off puttine to some on here.

True... but why get Logan if you're not taking WG as troops? Unless you're podding in MMs AND plan on making great use of the +1 attacks, I just don't see him being more useful than say... Ragnar.

Also... How can you take Canis and not wolves? Then his Saga of the Wolkin and one of his special rules are worthless. I suppose he'd still be cheaper than a comparably equipped WL (Actually, pretty much the same... 185pts for Canis vs. 185pts for WL w/ Frost Blade on a wolf w/ Talisman), but I'd rather spend 25-30 extra points and give my leader an inv. save. Basically, without the Saga and the Wolf ability... Canis is a Wolf Lord on a TW that you would never actually build.

Voracioustigger
03-10-2009, 20:01
Oddly, you can more WG without Logan than with - by taking Wolf Lords, each one may 1 WG count as troops. So potentially 7 as opposed to 6.

Is that correct? I thought that was the case too, but I'm looking at the codex right now and I can't find that rule under the Wolf Lord or WG entries. Can you give us a page number where you found that rule?

Tiller5
03-10-2009, 20:21
Surely, if it says "counts as" then all that means is that they occupy the slot they originally occupy, eg Elites for Wolf Guard or whatever, but they gain the benefits a Troops choice has, IE they count as a scoring unit? Thats the way I see it anyway.

Da Black Gobbo
03-10-2009, 20:24

I don't think this is right.

grissom2006
03-10-2009, 20:25
Surely, if it says "counts as" then all that means is that they occupy the slot they originally occupy, eg Elites for Wolf Guard or whatever, but they gain the benefits a Troops choice has, IE they count as a scoring unit? Thats the way I see it anyway.

Expect the Codex writer has said you can do a pure Terminator SW army. If they stay in the same FOC slot then the afore mentioned sentence can't be true.

Archangel_Ruined
03-10-2009, 20:29
I'm not troubled, you don't have to take them. Besides, what could be troubling about giant cyber wolves bouncing around the battlefield?

starlight
03-10-2009, 20:30

Can't find that anywhere...

Clang
03-10-2009, 20:41
I assume 'count as troops' means they literally occupy Troops slots and score just like any other troops units. E.g. with Logan, you could have 6 WG units (all scoring) but no other Troops.

grissom2006
03-10-2009, 20:43

Like to know how?

HerrDusty
03-10-2009, 23:20
Not sure where you're getting your info Gaargod, but my codex only says Logan Grimnar allows Wolf Guard to be troops.

PhalanxLord
04-10-2009, 00:01
It seems a lot of people still think that the long debunked rumor about WLs giving you a unit of WG as troops is true. Its not in the book.

starlight
04-10-2009, 00:59
Sounds like *early version*-itis to me. :)

shin'keiro
04-10-2009, 05:02
Just take WL on TW then.. plus you get a 4++ then aswell for more or less the same price!!

player21
04-10-2009, 06:20
I was looking at the codex today and wolf lord doesn't let the wg become troops. Which suck cause I love all the new elites in the codex