PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on how to Expand an Elysian Force

Hattori Hanzo
04-10-2009, 05:36
I have a medium sized 2000pt Elysian force. It has 3 drop sentinals but the rest of it is basically infantry. I was wondering how would be the best fluffy way to expand it to apocalypse size? Is it just buy more infantry or something else?

TheSanityAssassin
04-10-2009, 05:50
Valkeries and Vendettas to support your drop troops. If you read the Dark Apostle book, where Elysian's are the main foe of the Word Bearers they do a LOT of combat drops out of aircraft of that size for support purposes.

If you're going to do any heavy armour at all, I'd say a Hydra, as Air Superiority would be a big concern for them, I can imagine them having such a thing if they had any tanks.

Imperius
04-10-2009, 06:13
Forgeworld is rumoured to be coming out with a Heavy Transport Valkyrie, supposedely being able to transport something like a tank onto the battlefield. Obviously it would lose its troop transport capacity to compensate.

Edonil
04-10-2009, 06:17
I was thinking of doing a Phantine rapid reaction force, and spent a good amount of time considering the kind of armor a vanguard drop force would use. If you're going to consider any heavy armor, I'd say purely Demolishers or Exterminators. The bunker busting ability of a Demolisher is something that would be highly valued to a force that hits the ground and needs to establish a bulkhead for more troops to be able to land quickly. The Exterminators autocannons are useful not only for helping deal with light armor and infantry quickly, but have a high enough rate of fire and penetration power to damage aircraft, which is something very important in the contested airzones they're probably dropping into.

Light armor? Hydras, for the same reason as the Exterminators. Salamanders, in the same sense that Tetrarchs (sp?) got used in WWII by the Britain drop troops.

Arakanis
04-10-2009, 07:32
If you can afford it I would take some flyers. Marauder bomber (or two!), couple of Thunderbolts (I personally like the look of the Lightning, but the Thunderbolt is a better fighter)

Vultures for sure, if you don't have some already. Close air support is the way to go.

marv335
04-10-2009, 11:41
Vultures, thunderbolts, and marauders are the way forward.