PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer 40k Feature Film Ultramarines Feedback Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Wintermute
04-10-2009, 13:48
Codex Pictures have announced production of Ultramarines, the first feature film to be based upon Games Workshop’s Warhammer 40k. If you don’t know what 40k is then it seems, somewhat surprisingly, that you aren’t quite as geeky as me. Simply put, it’s a tabletop wargame, as played with little miniature figurines and dice of many sides. Created in the late 80s as a spacey shooty spin off to a trolls and goblins original, Warhammer Fantasy Battle, the 40k version seems to have developed a following all its own and, at least whenever I walk by the local Games Workshop store, seems to be getting played at least as much as its ‘classic’ swords and sorcery ancestor.

The film has a freshly minted official site (http://www.ultramarinesthemovie.com), but there’s nothing much to see yet. Meanwhile, Codex Pictures (http://codexpictures.com/news.html) have a press release page that tells us how “hugely honoured” they are to be making the film, and similar puffy fluff.

The game’s mythology is obviously geared to little more than providing context for violent and often epic confrontations. The hero characters, such as they are, are massive great genetically modified marines, Hulk scaled and armour clad and equipped with some seriously tasty boomsticks. They’re all happy to kill and die in service of the Emperor (sounds… familiar…).

Meanwhile, there are other species cluttering up the Milky Way and lining up to be bashed around a bit. These include the Eldar, essentially space elves, and the Orks who are, to all intents and purposes, Orcs. There’s also a hive-mind species called the Tyranids and some nasty things called Necrons who are living creatures made of metal and therefore (though obviously I don’t mean this literally) rock hard. Quite which of these will be turning up and getting shot at in Ultramarines is, so far, anybody’s guess.

If ever there was a film that had direct to DVD written all over it, its this one. Niche market. Having said that, I know an awful lot of people who’d never dream of touching a 28mm lead model but would like to see a movie full of epic space smackdowns just like this, so just maybe its a breakout waiting to happen.

From Live For Films (http://liveforfilms.wordpress.com/2009/09/30/ultramarines-warhammer-40000-film-heading-our-way/) via Hey U Guys (http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/2009/10/01/wharhammer-40k-film-announced/)

Edit

I've added a poll to the thread so we can see, at a glance, what the WarSeer community thinks of the Ultramarines Movie.

Art Is Resistance
04-10-2009, 15:19
Weird, I thought there was a thread on this already, but I can't find it..?

AS was said there by many, it depends on the quality of the CGI that will make or break this - it could be good (If it's the quality of say Captain Scarlett or Dan Dare were at the time they were released) or dire (I'm looking at you Dragonlance the movie!).

Of course, according to some who obviously have crystal balls, this is going to be bad n matter what - oh to be a seer!

Dalanshin
04-10-2009, 16:16
I forsee it will be one of many failed attempts to put 40k on the big screen.

I hope I am wrong, and that it is awesome, and that people all around the world will flock to see it...

I am not a big 40k nut, but it is DEFINITELY good film material (if somewhat borrwoed and recycled from previous works of sci-fi).

Everytime I see the cinematic intro to Dawn of War, I go crazy!! I hope it approaches that kind of greatness.

Condottiere
04-10-2009, 16:19
It's in 40K General.

Bregalad
04-10-2009, 16:47
Thread is here in "40k General":
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222438

Wintermute
04-10-2009, 18:00
I've closed the thread in 40K General.

Wintermute

Templar Ben
04-10-2009, 19:06
As I said in the other thread, this could be a great opportunity for GW. I hope they do have an "extras" section on the DVD where they show the game that it is based on as well as a web page dedicated to the movie. It should help people that don't know the game but thought the Ultramarines were pretty cool get started with cheap sets (perhaps AoBR if it is UM vs Orks in the movie) with scenarios that they can download and play out the movie.

Naturally this is not something that they can milk as hard as LotR but that is good. GW got "fat and lazy" with LotR money and this is not going to be nearly that successful.

GW needs to treat this as a way to get a wider audience for their products and not as a cool movie for the existing customers. Not that existing customers won't like the movie but GW should try to get this into the hands of as many people as possible in hopes that they will want to learn more (and pick up some BL books, UM models, and lots of other GW brand stuff).

canucklhead
04-10-2009, 19:57
This is the direction that GW always needed to go in with this idea. A straight to DVD feature length, bugger the long explanation for audiences that have no idea what this is about. Make it for the existing fans, let us use it as recruiting material, 'hey check out the cool movie I got. You know those weird toy sodiers I have? This is a movie about them.'

Then pitch a sci fi network, or Teletoon, or it's EU equivalent to pick up a series like the Clone Wars.

fiore hellheart
04-10-2009, 20:04
Then pitch a sci fi network, or Teletoon, or it's EU equivalent to pick up a series like the Clone Wars.

Wow, never thought of this but a series revolving about a group of guard or marines during a planetry invasion would be awsome.

CraftworldsRus
04-10-2009, 21:01
You know, it would be just like GW to make the movie about the battle for Orar's tomb, in which Calgar punches the Avatar to death.

rich1231
04-10-2009, 21:48
I think most 40k fans will hate any film produced.

The minute attention to detail the fans have will never be able to be replicated in a feature film that needs to make money. The things that will hearten the real 40k fans will not appeal to general audiences.

starlight
04-10-2009, 21:59
Starship Troopers: Roughnecks...? That wasn't too bad, then there was the extensive CGI in ST3, so there is hope in the hinterlands that GW *might* pull this off...

...however I'm putting my money on something far closer to Dawn of War than the tabletop... :angel:

Culgore
04-10-2009, 22:09
I am really excited. I think if they do some baller marketing this can hit a mainstream market. Really just look at the repetitive movies that get made and people just continue to see them. Take X-Men Movies. I know this has had a big following prior to the movies, and I like them all but man, that last one just got ridiculous, EVERYTHING BLOWS UP, and if my research is correct, they made 200,000,000 net. I mean how many times can you watch wolverine stab things with his claws. I know this is kinda disjointed, just got back from a weekend in the cold rain. I love the WH:40K storyline, absolutely amazing, I recanted it to a friend of mine and he immediately was playing the game (albeit after I tried to dissuade him by telling him it was all about paying amazing amounts of money for 2.5 inch tall pieces of plastic and metal). I hope this project succeeds.

Random Integer
04-10-2009, 22:18
You know, it would be just like GW to make the movie about the battle for Orar's tomb, in which Calgar punches the Avatar to death.

I would genuinely laugh my ass off if that were the case. I can only imagine the meltdown levels of nerd rage it would cause.

In other news if they can make something even a fraction as atmospheric as the Halo ODST trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub5eE7gk6Qg) I will be a happy bunny.

Templar Ben
05-10-2009, 00:59
I think most 40k fans will hate any film produced.

The minute attention to detail the fans have will never be able to be replicated in a feature film that needs to make money. The things that will hearten the real 40k fans will not appeal to general audiences.

That is all the more reason to try to simply make a good movie and not worry as much about keeping the fanbois happy.

rustypaladin
05-10-2009, 06:01
Looking at the website, this movie will be 70 min. long and go straight to DVD.

Codex Pictures also made the Bionical movie. I havn't seen that so I don't know if this is good or bad

Vesica
05-10-2009, 06:38

As much as i hate UM, i would pay to see that just because i know the sheer amount of rage from the eldar players would be enough to bring Khorne into existence :D.

As i said in the other thread, hopefully it will do well enough that GW will make more films.

Codex Pictures also made the Bionical movie. I havn't seen that so I don't know if this is good or bad

It actually looked pretty good, if you ignore the characters (who look crap because they are meant to look like the toys) everything else was good, especially for a film done 2/3 year ago.

Melchiah
05-10-2009, 06:45
@ Starlight; Didnt I tell you last week, Direct to DVD.:eyebrows:

Condottiere
05-10-2009, 08:06
Seventy minutes means it probably be an all-out action film, not that Marines have much angst.

genestealer_baldric
05-10-2009, 08:56
As much as i hate UM, i would pay to see that just because i know the sheer amount of rage from the eldar players would be enough to bring Khorne into existence :D.

It would in reality produce a god that makes khorne look like a grumpy teenager.

@ Starlight; Didnt I tell you last week, Direct to DVD.:eyebrows:

it didnt seem so clear cut when we spoke to the guys at gamesday, they may put it into cinemas i dont think its been confirmed either way yet.

Radium
05-10-2009, 09:03
And of course GW does exactly what they should NOT do. Make a move about marines, something no one can connect with. Go GW!

Oh, well, it'll probably be fun jsut because it's about 40k, but I really, really hope they don't go codex level marines, or even worse: BL marines. That would make a very boring movie.

rich1231
05-10-2009, 09:24
They may put it in cinemas?

It wont be their choice... Film makers dont all have their work distributed into cinema you know.. its a very comepetitive process.

Just think on this.. you are a film distro, selling to cinema/screen owners....

So mr cinema chain over we have this great cgi film about a subject matter that involves painting toy soldiers. Ohh it doesnt matter that no one outside the hobby will be interested. What do you mean no one will watch it? They will I swear.... Ohh ok you want 50 prints of Jennifer Aniston's latest Rom Com instead.. Righto... Straight to DVD it is then.

It would in reality produce a god that makes khorne look like a grumpy teenager.

it didnt seem so clear cut when we spoke to the guys at gamesday, they may put it into cinemas i dont think its been confirmed either way yet.

BlastmasterJ
05-10-2009, 11:20
Why cant they get the guys who made the cut scene/trailer for Mark of chaos to do this.
That little 2 min movie is one of the best examples of cgi ive ever seen. GET THEM!
Im hoping it is gritty, real, gorey and basically everything 40k should be. Lets hope codex arn't still in the bionicals frame of mind.

Master Jeridian
05-10-2009, 11:48
Only bad can come of this, :D

I agree that the DoW Intro, the Mark of Chaos Intro and even the cutscenes from Fire Warrior where great pieces of CGI, but could they string a movie out of it rather than short action scenes?

In the action scenes you don't see:

-The fanatically death cults and religions the protagonists worship
-The uber-fascist ruthless governments of the protagonists
-The highly graphic and perverse violence enacted by the protagonists
-The genocides enacted by the protagonists
-The brooding grimdark of the universe that means all of the above are necessary evils

In a CGI film, inevitably type-caste as a kids cartoon, the above just won't sell (even if the kids want it, it'd be laughed out of the directors board meeting as offensive to pretty much anyone).

So how will GW avoid this? They write a 40k story with none of the above, making it a Halo or Killzone knock-off. There will be no end to the nerd rage.

That they've selecting Ultramarines as the protagonists is only further proof that they will Space Marines as noble warriors of a great human federation against the evil aliens.
They only need emulate the Mary Sue writing for UM in their Codex.

darthpodge
05-10-2009, 12:44
GW have done this right if you think about it. instead of making a film called 'space marines' in which they have to explain the whole story behind it eg the emperor the great crusade and the horus heresy up until now, theyve gone for one single group the ultramarines who are seen to be the high and mighty bunch from the adeptus astartes clean and pure. so they give a bit of info at the biggining saying blah space marines blah genetically enhanced and blah protectors of the human race. then we jump into the story which is the difficult part. the story has to be new because if its based on a past event you would have every fan and his brother arguing it didnt happen that way or it couldnt happen that way so you make something brand new this is where it could flop. so if after that if it goes to dvd or cinema either the sale will represent where they will stand on making more films which explain more about the spacemarines and there history. personaly i hope it works out i would love a 40k film along the visual lines of final fantasy the spirits within where things like looks and ages and size would not be a problem. if they do this right the film would be open to a wider market and sequels along the line of lord of the rings with big battle scenes will be welcomed and loved. fingers crossed it works

Wintertooth
05-10-2009, 13:07
It'll be Tyranids or Necrons. You can blow up all the bugs and robots you like without the ratings boards so much as blinking.

It won't necessarily adhere to continuity, because nobody at GW cares about continuity. They can't keep it straight from one end of a codex to the other, never mind any of the spin-off material. As long as the tone is roughly in keeping with the universe, they'll approve it. They've certainly never given any indication they care what a bunch of dorks on the internet think about anything.

The Bionicle movies all went straight to DVD; the first one sold 40 million copies. GW gave them a licence, it's not like they're funding it. Very low risk on their part, potentially big return.

Condottiere
05-10-2009, 13:57
Explaining the Ultramarine selection and training process shouldn't take more than ninety seconds of montages, with appropriate background music and narration.

Templar Ben
05-10-2009, 14:12
Explaining the Ultramarine selection and training process shouldn't take more than ninety seconds of montages, with appropriate background music and narration.

Like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIi0vFyqWAc

howlinmonkey
05-10-2009, 19:50
I'm surprised it's taken so long to appear.

What might make or break it is the dialogue.I really hope that they stay away from the flowery dialogue that abounds in Shakespeare's plays.I don't think
I could sit through a 40k film that has marines shouting 'Begonest foul beast back to the abyss from whence ye sprang!'or 'Oh woe,we have been betrayed by our noble brothers!'

Lets face it, it's going to filled with 'For the Emperor!' anyway,do we really need chivalrous speeches lifted from Henry the fifth?

Condottiere
05-10-2009, 20:05
Good directing, acting and editing could even make Shakespearean dialogue exciting. With CGI, that would be difficult without spending a fortune on animators and hardware, so yes, they will probably have to tweak the dialogue part considerably and the voice actors will have to get really into their roles.

Proiteus
05-10-2009, 21:08
I would be over the moon about this, but I have remember something similar a long time ago. GW was funding a small CGI company called Exile Films to make a CGI 40k movie based of the Black Library classic Bloodquest!

BLOODQUEST TRAILER! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpEY630UaMg)

I watched the Exile website looking at all the news and updates but GW evenually pulled the plug on the project and the company went broke.

Bottom line is I won't believe it till I see it on the shelf.

Vesica
05-10-2009, 22:33
And of course GW does exactly what they should NOT do. Make a move about marines, something no one can connect with. Go GW!

So you would be able to connect with an imperial guardsmen who is defending a city against nids/orks/necrons/chaos/tau/eldar/daemons?

Emperor knows i couldn't.

Hero adamite
05-10-2009, 22:43
If it has action similiar to the Dawn of War trailers I believe it will be great and i can't wait for this movies release!

Glabro
06-10-2009, 07:35
Yeah, I know the posterboys get it the first time round, but seriously, who doesn't think Space Wolves have more mass appeal? Monks in space vs. vikings in space.

Bill King showed us how the Wolves' dialogue can be great. Can't imagine that from the UM really.
Maybe for the sequel.

Kaenei
06-10-2009, 14:46
This is another very intelligent and bold move from GW who, despite their many (And often justified) detractors do expand into new markets and new ideas fairly regularly for a company that isn't Google.

I continue to assume this will still be a Direct-to-DVD adventure which if it makes the "minmum" standard of a much longer Dawn of War II Trailer, will be a big success. Let's be honest - who here wouldn't pick up a DVD like this? I'm not a Space Marine fan at all but I'd definitely pay Ģ15 for a chance to see an hour of the Imperium and the 40k universe given a real, visual life.

This could be a massive development - ultimately creating "Great Conflicts of the Imperium," - The Horus Heresy on DVD? Yes Please.

And anyone who thinks CGI can't work has obviously never seen the absolutely outstanding Starship Troopers : The Roughnecks Chronicles which still looks the part even with CGI that's decades old and managed an astounding level of emotional maturity considering it was, nominally, a children's programme.

I applaud GW for taking this step - it's a bold move and even if it falls flat on its face I tip my hat to them for not simply taking this risk, but doing so in the UK's worst economic climate in ten generations.

Gutlord Grom
06-10-2009, 15:01
What might make or break it is the dialogue.I really hope that they stay away from the flowery dialogue that abounds in Shakespeare's plays.I don't think
I could sit through a 40k film that has marines shouting 'Begonest foul beast back to the abyss from whence ye sprang!'or 'Oh woe,we have been betrayed by our noble brothers!'

Lets face it, it's going to filled with 'For the Emperor!' anyway,do we really need chivalrous speeches lifted from Henry the fifth?

Except ,you know, that the "flowery" dialogue and writing of Shakespeare's plays is some of the best writing in the English language, with most modern movies not even holding a candle to the subtleties and character developments you can find in a single act of a Shakespeare play.

Just saying.

Poseidal
06-10-2009, 17:11
I agree with Gutlord Grom. I think a 'Shakespeare' dialogue WH40k movie would be great, and actually considering some of the themes and visual styles of the Imperium, very appropriate.

It would also show a difference between GW Space Marines and your common or garden generic bald space marine; between GW's setting and the 123456 Sci-Fi settings with Space Marines and Aliens and Daemons, oh my!

Condottiere
06-10-2009, 17:37
But this will be CGI, not live action - Shakespearean dialogue will have to be watered down.

Gutlord Grom
06-10-2009, 17:52
But this will be CGI, not live action - Shakespearean dialogue will have to be watered down.

Sure you can't have Shakespearean soliloquys, but length doesn't have to indicate quality. You can have good, meaningful dialogue in short pieces.

(Though really, I wasn't saying we should take A Shakespearean approach to 40k dialogue in any movie, I was just defending Skakesphere in general. However, that would be an awesome way to sell 40k as a universe.)

Condottiere
06-10-2009, 17:57
Taming of the Shrew - SoB Sister Katherina meets Space Wolf Brother Petruchio.

Gutlord Grom
06-10-2009, 17:58
Taming of the Shrew - SoB Sister Katherina meets Space Wolf Brother Petruchio.

See there you go! Now just add some orks for the mandatory battle scene, and you're good.

CommissarGuard
08-10-2009, 00:55
WOW i thoght this whould never happen hope is will be as good as it sounds

Batwings
08-10-2009, 01:42
'Why cant they get the guys who made the cut scene/trailer for Mark of chaos to do this.
That little 2 min movie is one of the best examples of cgi ive ever seen. GET THEM!'

I agree that's a breathtaking piece of CGI cinema.

Probably took six months to make (a conservative estimate) and cost maybe $1,000,000 (again, a conservative estimate).

If Codex are promising a seventy minute movie, you can do the maths and see that making something to Mark of Chaos quality would involve a degree of commitment, in terms of both time and money, that could cripple even the most successful digital studio.

I expect the movie to be on a par visually with the best made-for-TV animated shows. Anything better than that will be an unexpected (and very welcome) bonus.

Vesica
08-10-2009, 02:57
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sae1itsXt_M&feature=PlayList&p=233DEF33CFA143DA&index=0

That was a video posted in the other thread, if you ignore the lego looking characters it doesn't look to bad, especially for 2/3 year old video.

canucklhead
08-10-2009, 18:16
And keep in mind that Bionicles are LEGO, made by them and marketed by them, so in the movie, the goal was to give the kids an experience of their toys moving and doing cool things.

scarletsquig
09-10-2009, 06:15
I'll believe this when I see it... I remember bloodquest.

Wolfblade670
10-10-2009, 16:41
If its even anything like this, I'll probably enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLankQDUBP4

That was one guy on his home PC.

For me, what will make or break this will be plot and dialogue. So let's hope its not like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeCfod1XT7E

TimLeeson
11-10-2009, 14:06
Saddening to hear that people have to relate to characters to enjoy something, seems only a western thing - you look at japanese stuff ect and its usually monsters and such being the stars, like the earlier Toho films ect. Necrons and nids would certainly make the most sense for "mainstream" enemies, perhaps that battle pictured in 5th ed with the smurfs fighting 'crons...obviously id rather they were fighting a minor-race though, but that wouldnt happen ever.

Inquisitor Engel
12-10-2009, 18:48
I'll believe this when I see it... I remember bloodquest.

QFT.

There were even pictures of the Maya screens in WD. :(

LKHERO
14-10-2009, 01:56
So everyone knows Codex is making the 40K movie Ultramarines.

I don't know about you guys, but I want the movie to be epic. And by epic, I mean watching the Dawn of War intro for an hour and thirty minutes kind of epic. This is pretty much the best we can get with CG.. since live action is out of the picture (I thought the Halo 3 ODST live action trailer was pretty epic).

There needs to be a plot:
The Tyranid invasion of Macragge

And there needs to be more heroism then anything I've ever seen. I seriously think GW made a big gamble with this.. because if the movie does well, we might see a increase in gamers everywhere. If it sucks.. you know where that's going.

Dexter099
14-10-2009, 01:58
Bad and predictable plot, overpowered Space Marines, but awesome CGI, which is all anyone can realistically expect from this movie. I'm hoping for a nice plot twist, but I'm happy with the above.

Edonil
14-10-2009, 02:01
Bad and predictable plot, overpowered Space Marines, but awesome CGI, which is all anyone can realistically expect from this movie. I'm hoping for a nice plot twist, but I'm happy with the above.

Not happy with the above, but this is what I expect.

destroyerlord
14-10-2009, 02:35
Judging by GWs previous attempts at multimedia entertainment I'm guessing the plot will be aas follows:
Marines are fighting generic xenos (orcs/eldar). Xenos die.
Chaos shows up. Marines start to die.
Exterminatus on the planet. The xenos may help the marines.
End.
BORING!
I seriously hope they hired a decent script writer for this thing, because more of the above is the last thing we need.

fox-hound
14-10-2009, 03:31
I saw the BIONOCLE movies by CODEX and they where pretty good. They had a very good twist and a nice 40k feel(like in the first one where the dark god dude made those awsome flying wraith things with big snake slug things)and they also had a great graphics. I'm hopping for somthing really good like let's say a Marine cuts a head off, shoves his fist down their throught rips out the spine with organs still connected and uses it as a club. HOOP-LA!

Bonzai
14-10-2009, 03:53
Bruce Willis as a space marine sergeant. Lots of big guns, lots of CGI Orks. Some super hot Eldar farseer (some unknown russian starlet)... Bad writing, and a total bastardization of the 40k universe.

PondaNagura
14-10-2009, 03:53
as long as it isn't kid friendly...poor poor dungeons and dragons.

Writerski7
14-10-2009, 04:05

No kidding. I expect more Ultramarines Bad-assery in some way or another . . .

Unless they turn our world up-side-down and make Chaos the stars of the show.

madprophet
14-10-2009, 06:08
If it is as good as damnatus I will be pleasantly surprised.

Nakor
14-10-2009, 08:54
Dawn of War intro for an hour and thirty minutes

this. full stop. truthfully we dont want some painful character development. but we do want ball gripping action.

slingersam
14-10-2009, 09:12
They should do the movie on the Blood Angels book. I found that hella interesting and would make a great movie to.

genestealer_baldric
14-10-2009, 09:43
They should do the movie on the Blood Angels book. I found that hella interesting and would make a great movie to.

please tell me you were drunk when you read thoses piles of rubbish, its the only thing i can think of to justify that stament.

i think the polar fortress would be amazing a last stand movie when no one wins. Nids swarming over titans, nid titans jumping on things and getting blown up, the last stand by the 1st company back to back would truley be epic.

wilsongrahams
14-10-2009, 09:55
The problem is, that's basically Starship Troopers and will be viewed as such.
Blood Angels in a Space Hulk is too much like Aliens too. Both would be great movies to us but not a wider audience.

They really need to do something a little different - will probably be Black Reach and Orks, or possibly Daemons. There may be Eldar allies involved.

Max Jet
14-10-2009, 11:23
Space Marines are very uninteresting personalities.
What plot can you excpect, formed around a character that has deliberately been pumped up to appeal to any geek and kid, silently dreaming of being a beloved undefeatable awesome looking action hero themself.
Expect good action and 70 minutes fun. Nothing more.

Imperialis_Dominatus
14-10-2009, 12:32
Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst, expecting crap plot, awesome CGI, and groin-grabbingly exciting action.

Tonberry
14-10-2009, 12:39

I predict it will be PG 13 rubbish.

I hope it will feature a Void Whale.

Gazak Blacktoof
14-10-2009, 12:41
I have no expectations. I pay for cinema entry as a monthly subscription so I'll probably go and watch it out of interest regardless of the reviews.

I hope there's some naval combat and a good plot.

Tokugawa100
14-10-2009, 12:42
I would like to see a plot like this.

1. Ultramarines fighting for a world claimed by Orks.
Imperial Guard are losing so the Space Marines step in and put them to shame.

2. The Commander of the Imperial Guard is sick to death of being outdone by these super humans which are as alien as the aliens they fight everyday.

3. While the marines celebrate their victory the Guard are bitter and have countless injured and dead.

4. The Commander returns to his quarters only to find a mysterious stranger who claims he can give the Commander and his men the power they desire, all they have to do is fight for Chaos.

5. The Commander is torn between leaving the Imperium he has become dissilusioned by and his loyalty to the Emperor.

6. The charismatic chaos agent agrees that such things take time and allows the Commander till midnight to deside also threatening that depending on the choice his world may be destroyed.

7. The agent leaves.

8. The Commander leaves to return to his men but on his way a voice from the trees warns him of taking such offers from the chaos gods and that it will leave his world in ruin.
He doesnt know it but this is an Eldar Ranger.

9. The Ranger vanishes.

10. When he returns he finds that the Ultramarines are ordering the Guard to march with them to Valex V to continue the fight against the ork clan HeadThumpa.

11. The Commander argues that they have few men and the Ultramarines say that the must fight on before the orks regroup and recover their lossess.

12. This puts the commander over the edge and his makes his deal with the chaos cultist.

13. While the Ultramarines prepare in their ships in orbit, the Guard are giving into the chaos cults, chaos marines have appeared along with their lord who now claims ownership of the palnet.

14. Rituals summon screamers which fly up to the ships and devestate the fleet leaving a large group of Ultramarines and a pair of dreadnoughts within drop pods.

15. War begins and battle commences between chaos and loyalists.

16. The Eldar lend their aid claiming that they foretold that if this world were to be claimed by chaos the energy inbalance would awaken a nightmare beneath their very feet as this world is in fact a tomb world.

Will the Marines defeat chaos in time or will the Eldar prophecy be witnessed and the Necron death will rise from the planet and kill all in its path.

Just an idea:D

x-esiv-4c
14-10-2009, 12:44
Expectations? Don't have any. That way when I see it I won't have to utter "Christ...I think i've found something worse then Twilight...."

Killgore
14-10-2009, 12:51
I havnt got high expectations for ground breaking quality, I expect the budget for this to be on the lower end

I guess we'l have to wait and see :P

Squelch
14-10-2009, 12:55
I really like the trailer for the new SM console game. Hope it's similar to that in looks.

Pinball wizard!
14-10-2009, 13:04
I agree, hopefully we will all be surprised, i mean its not the 90s anymore, cheesy films are on their way out, of course there are still horrible films but i think with the right resources the film could be decent. Even Tolkien didn't think a good film could be made from the lord of the rings.

Edonil
14-10-2009, 13:07
I agree, hopefully we will all be surprised, i mean its not the 90s anymore, cheesy films are on their way out, of course there are still horrible films but i think with the right resources the film could be decent. Even Tolkien didn't think a good film could be made from the lord of the rings.

Key phrase- right resources. This is GW. As shocking as I find it that they're investing money in this, odds are, they won't be investing a whole lot. Although, the news that Codex is also the people who did the first Bionicle movie (don't judge me :angel:) is something that gives me some small amount of hope for this...in spite of it being smurfs. So much hate for that decision...so much...

Fenrir
14-10-2009, 13:53
Expectations for the 40K movie?

Low.

Max Jet
14-10-2009, 14:18
@ Tokugawa

Very good, except for the "Cloaked mysterious stranger out of nowhere Part"

Chaos would try to convince the Guard Commander, that the Space Marines have fallen for Khorne, lusting for battles and battles against Orks. This becomes more obvious as the space Marine Commander tries to push the Guardsmen on and on, from system to system to fight the Orks like some bloolusty madman.
In that way the Commander could be convinced.

Won't happen..

Why?

Because that would destroy the childish dreams of playing the good guys, the heroic, noble mary sue Ultramarines who love everything and everyone (except aliens and chaos)

RoguePariah
14-10-2009, 15:27
As far as plot goes, my personal preference would be something that can adequately relate most of the general history of the astartes, ie. Emperor, primarchs, crusade, and heresy. AND be able to tie it in to the "present" setting of 40k.

what does that mean?

I say follow a squad of Dark Angels (Emperor, Lion, and Heresy as plot exposition in the first 15 minutes, mixed with action scenes of course)

from here the action picks up at the assault on caliban. the squad gets sucked into the warp, reappears in "present day" 40k universe, battles their way through a world just emerging from a warp storm thats teeming with demons, a random xenos thats trying to take back a planet engulfed by a warp storm, and Chaos Marines, who they were trying to kill in the first place. then when they finally kill the traitors and reseigne themselves to a glorious death vs the endless demon hordes, the "present day" Dark Angels show up. and "save" them from being killed.

at this point a hulking terminator in black armor and a skull shaped helmet approaches the squad and says "Greetings brothers. we've been hunting far and wide for you."

duh! duh! duh!.....

OK so that isn't going to win me any awards from the screenwriters guild. but hey, I just want something that will appeal to the masses without assuming the viewers know everything about the incredible amounts of backstory and fluff that goes along with 40k. Most of which I haven't read.

I'm ok with going to a movie solo, but if my friends and I are the only ones in the theatre, it ruins my chances of seeing a future 40k movie that has something (gasp!) other than space marines as the main characters.

talk about wishlisting...

genestealer_baldric
14-10-2009, 15:34
As far as plot goes, my personal preference would be something that can adequately relate most of the general history of the astartes, ie. Emperor, primarchs, crusade, and heresy. AND be able to tie it in to the "present" setting of 40k.

what does that mean?

I say follow a squad of Dark Angels (Emperor, Lion, and Heresy as plot exposition in the first 15 minutes, mixed with action scenes of course)

from here the action picks up at the assault on caliban. the squad gets sucked into the warp, reappears in "present day" 40k universe, battles their way through a world just emerging from a warp storm thats teeming with demons, a random xenos thats trying to take back a planet engulfed by a warp storm, and Chaos Marines, who they were trying to kill in the first place. then when they finally kill the traitors and reseigne themselves to a glorious death vs the endless demon hordes, the "present day" Dark Angels show up. and "save" them from being killed.

at this point a hulking terminator in black armor and a skull shaped helmet approaches the squad and says "Greetings brothers. we've been hunting far and wide for you."

duh! duh! duh!.....

OK so that isn't going to win me any awards from the screenwriters guild. but hey, I just want something that will appeal to the masses without assuming the viewers know everything about the incredible amounts of backstory and fluff that goes along with 40k. Most of which I haven't read.

I'm ok with going to a movie solo, but if my friends and I are the only ones in the theatre, it ruins my chances of seeing a future 40k movie that has something (gasp!) other than space marines as the main characters.

talk about wishlisting...

Tiny problem Its called Ultramarines :P

RoguePariah
14-10-2009, 15:52
Tiny problem Its called Ultramarines :P

Ultramarines?

what kind of a name is that for a movie...

my jibe about being the only one in the theatre may turn out to be prophetic.:p

[edit] on second thought with a name like that I'm sure to be swamped by 10 and 11 year old boys who have never heard of 40k before thinking its the sequel to GI:JOE. {disclaimer. I haven't seen the JOE movie, yet, so no offense to anyone there. nor do I think Ultramarines is a bad name for 40k. I'm just scared it was chosen to appeal to that pg13 mindset. I mean "Dark Angels" would have been so much more... um... dark and gothic like

sycopat
14-10-2009, 15:57
other than boltguns, power armour and action sequences, I have no expectations. It's being made on the cheap for a niche market. It is to all intents and purposes, a B movie.

I would like it if they invested a bit in a half-decent plot, a bit of dark humour, and didn't shy away from the ultramarines fanaticism, but I don't expect it.

Lets face it, it's either going to be
a) written by a guy who has no knowledge of 40k but needs the money
b) written by a guy who claims they know everything about 40k, but doesn't
c) written by a guy who thinks the "rule of cool" is more important than any other design element
d) any 2 of the above.

I would love something with a bit of a plot though, something a bit more than Something starts a fight: Invasion action sequence, the ultramarines are called in: Big fight action sequence, Insert charachter development here + annoying young aspirant sidekick(possibly named jar jar), another big action sequence, Finale action sequence, Annoying aspirant sidekick saves the day, ultramarines clap each other on the back and go home, for a parade.

The Tau are close to Ultramar right?

It's not so inconceivable that the Imperium and Tau could have both discovered a new human occupied world, the Tau are claiming it because they got there first, the Imperium are claiming it because it is settled by humanity, the settlers are confused because they thought they were alone in the universe, were asked to join a friendly alien society, before a galaxy spanning human empire showed up telling them it would be better to join them instead, a war breaks out between the imperium and Tau and the ultramarines are called in to save the day.

You could even have a simple twist half way through such as the whole planets population are actually chaos worshippers, who try to save their society by allowing themselves to be posessed by daemons, forcing the Tau and the Imperium to unite. Briefly.

There are potentially thousands of variations of the above, substitute eldar for tau, exodites instead of settlers, genestealers for chaos, change the twist to be a massive space hulk arriving carrying something bad, throw in an inquisitor or imperial assassin for ***** and giggles etc. etc.

None of which might be very original, I know, but at least there'd be more than just power armour making it 40k.

Vepr
14-10-2009, 16:06
I want to see some behind the scenes stuff. Like 20 minutes of prayers and liturgies, 20 minutes of putting on the armor and blessing the weapons, 20 minutes of training and last but not least 10 minutes of travel to the battle. :p

Gravius
14-10-2009, 17:22
As i was reading through i was thinking, the only plot for a 40K movie would be one based on the Heresy. But then i read further and i'm guessing a movie called Ultramarine is probably not going to involve any battle-brother on battle-brother action. My guess would be Marines vs. Orks. Good old reliable, cheesy-comedy Orks :(
I don't care about plot, i just want one thing to happen and i'll be happy. I want someone firing a plasma rifle to get 'vented'! Every single book i've read regarding 40K has at some point, needed a plasma rifle to resolve a situation and not once has it vented, killing (or even just injuring or inconveniencing) the main character. One plasma vent death...is that too much to ask?

fluffstalker
14-10-2009, 17:52
As sad as its going to make me, this movie will probably be poorly acted, have a confusing plot to the vast majority of the audience, and its only saving grace will be cool battle scenes. It will end up being a niche movie rather than a big hit that we all hope for. In short, its going to suck, but Ill give it a go anyway, just so I can see how much it sucks.

jsullivanlaw
14-10-2009, 18:06
I hope it shows some of the less heroic elements of the imperium. I hope it does not involve marines teaming up with Xenos to fight a greater threat. I always hated it in movies when enemies suddenly become good buddies to fight another enemy. I hope they don't try to fit every race into it like Dawn of War, the plot there comes off beyond idiotic. I hope it doesn't end with marines figuring out some way to destroy an entire army in one strategic action like planting a virus in a hive ship. That's always lame and always seems to work in crappy movies. I hope it isn't just 70 minutes of marines shooting 1000's of xenos without any real threat.

I fully expect this movie to be a huge disappointment.

Ben
14-10-2009, 18:07
Its going to be a 70 minute straight to DVD release anyway. Think DC's Superman Doomsday (that was pretty good) or Marvels Hulk vs whatever (not so much).

ancient_conflict
14-10-2009, 18:36

quick question...

do you realise that its a straight to dvd movie?

Gustovic
14-10-2009, 18:46
Good rapresentation of the IG.
Maybe some Titans.

Edit:1:30-2 hours of DoW opening with more blood. Initial titles that describes the 40K universe (maybe like LoTR with a narrative voice and images about the Heresy). No speech (apart some orders gave by the sergeants etc...).

MortalTurky
14-10-2009, 19:14
Well, but why must it always be Smurf?
Can`t the orks win?:)

/MortalTurky

Tokugawa100
15-10-2009, 01:00
I know it wont happen but Id love to see a dark eldar raid in cgi, aaah the carnage.

Also I hope we dont have a kiddy movie and the main character has a bumbling servitor sidekick like Jar Jar for comic relief.

I hope it shows some of the less heroic elements of the imperium. I hope it does not involve marines teaming up with Xenos to fight a greater threat. I always hated it in movies when enemies suddenly become good buddies to fight another enemy. I hope they don't try to fit every race into it like Dawn of War, the plot there comes off beyond idiotic. I hope it doesn't end with marines figuring out some way to destroy an entire army in one strategic action like planting a virus in a hive ship. That's always lame and always seems to work in crappy movies. I hope it isn't just 70 minutes of marines shooting 1000's of xenos without any real threat.

Hey If it were up to me it wouldnt be called Ultramarines:D
I would much rather it be about the life of a single Imperial Guard trooper, how terrifying andf gruelling would that be.

The plot I wrote was just an idea, its simple and it sounds like a possible idea because Eldar and Marines always team up to fight a greater threat.

DOW 2: Tyranids
DOW 1: WA Necrons
DOW 1: Did they team up to fight chaos?

Plus all different events in the fluff lead them to join.

My biggest wish is that they stay well away from the Battle of Macragge, I dont want tyranids in it at all because the screen will be clogged with bugs all the time with only little dots of marines among them.

MF3000
15-10-2009, 01:20
Space Marines actually have cool stories. We don't need hyper-realism creeping onthe painting front into the movie front.

Short anthologies have great stories that are compact and well contained within a short time frame. I bet GW (or they should anyway) will be working from the past stories, and mish mashing something appropriate for 70 minutes.

It's not hitting the big screen - it's direct to DVD. Like an OVA (Original Video Animation). The movie doesn't need to hit the big screen - as a fan boy I'd probably buy the DVD: Ultramarines when it comes out rather than downloading a pitiful camcorder version.

The story just has to veer away from the horrible script writing of typical 'block buster' craps.

I do not want to see a scene where a dying Veteran Sarge is giving a sage advice to some noob in power armour, and that said noob having to go prove his manliness and his man-love for the dead sergeant. That's not what 40k war is about. Is it?

40k war is about religious zealots in power armour souped up on pseudo-science punching and kicking their way through a hoard of enemy. I want Marines to be using their bolters like clubs and punching a man so hard that his brain rips out the end as if he was shot by a cannon. I want a marine to grab a man so hard in the chest that his fingers tear into the ribacage - only to have the carcass hurled into a group of cowering heretics, breaking another's head off. I want a marine to stomp and kick an alien so hard in the face that his blue face is mashed to the ground with bits of his yellow helmet covering much of the mess. I want chainsaws being used not elegantly, but brutally for what they are, stab and slash, stab and slash.

Combat in 40k is simple. Beat them till they die. And that's what the focus of the movie should be. A contrast between a complex background and a simple story filled with absolute 40k violence.

I don't want to see Tyranids as scuttling bugs I want them pushing into the Marines in force without a care, hacking and biting, no fancy jump and slash or 'animal' behaviour thank you very much. They're just mindless bio-organisms.

A simple story, in a complex background (leave the viewers guessing even); subsumed under a constant stream of brutality by the Marines.

Not, marines being 'witnesses' to violence. Holy hell, we all know Marines aren't innocent conscripts that just watch war unfold out of their control. They've been indoctrinated war mongering zealots bent on getting a successful mission and doing whatever it takes to get that objective.

sj

Seville
15-10-2009, 09:41
I hope it isn't just 70 minutes of marines shooting 1000's of xenos without any real threat.

Why in God's name would you hope that?!

That's exactly what I hope it is. 70 minutes of Space Marines ruining xeno scum in totally awesome ways sounds like the biggest nerdgasm ever to me.

I think everyone should just chill out and reserve judgment. I bet this thing is going to be awesome. If it's anything at all like either of the DoW trailers, it will rock hard.

40k war is about religious zealots in power armour souped up on pseudo-science punching and kicking their way through a hoard of enemy. I want Marines to be using their bolters like clubs and punching a man so hard that his brain rips out the end as if he was shot by a cannon. I want a marine to grab a man so hard in the chest that his fingers tear into the ribacage - only to have the carcass hurled into a group of cowering heretics, breaking another's head off. I want a marine to stomp and kick an alien so hard in the face that his blue face is mashed to the ground with bits of his yellow helmet covering much of the mess. I want chainsaws being used not elegantly, but brutally for what they are, stab and slash, stab and slash.

YEAH!!!!

What this guy said. Best Warseer post ever. This is what I hope the movie is like. I hope they don't forget the violence. With extra violence. And a side of brutality.

The only way the movie could disappoint me is if they pull punches on the mayhem.

Tastyfish
15-10-2009, 20:41

That said, the 'enemy of my enemy is my friend' could be fun to play with - everyone knows the good old scifi/fantasy trope of teaming up with the enemy race to take on some greater unknowable evil, and it works quite well. However, it works even better as the 'enemy of my enemy is still my enemy' - sure you could team up with the Tau to take out the Tyranids/Orks/Chaos, but both sides are going to happily try to fix it so they screw over the other...maybe even at the cost of the greater mission itself.

Kulgur
15-10-2009, 23:39
That said, the 'enemy of my enemy is my friend' could be fun to play with - everyone knows the good old scifi/fantasy trope of teaming up with the enemy race to take on some greater unknowable evil, and it works quite well. However, it works even better as the 'enemy of my enemy is still my enemy' - sure you could team up with the Tau to take out the Tyranids/Orks/Chaos, but both sides are going to happily try to fix it so they screw over the other...maybe even at the cost of the greater mission itself.

"The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less."

x-esiv-4c
16-10-2009, 12:41
I can see it as a chronical of Marneus Calgar, when he was rescued at the age of 14 from Hive-Fleet Locust (I think). Then a montage set to 80s music showing him training up/gearing up and then a dramatic end with a battle on Macragge against the Zoat overlords.

Condottiere
16-10-2009, 14:21
I thought he was first sent out into the cold mountainous hinterlands, and kills a big predator. Or is that too close to Space Wolves?

Smokedog
17-10-2009, 23:51
Has anyone else posted this image?

It definatley confirms terminators are in it.

fiore hellheart
18-10-2009, 00:44
Hmm, interesting pic of the termi there, Looks a little bit too cartoony for me but the setting it is in may help to change that.

Occulto
18-10-2009, 00:53
Short anthologies have great stories that are compact and well contained within a short time frame. I bet GW (or they should anyway) will be working from the past stories, and mish mashing something appropriate for 70 minutes.

I honestly think it's going to be like the Dungeons & Dragons movie, and the forums will ring with complaints about a wasted opportunity.

MF3000
18-10-2009, 08:14
I haven't seen the DnD movie... so it's bad eh? *sigh*

The terminator better be a concept piece lol... ... the bright red eyes remind me of Chaos Gate! lol!!!

sj

Anonymous_Guy
18-10-2009, 17:58

Wouldn't happen to know where you got that pic, would you? :)

Anon Out

blunder1983
18-10-2009, 20:16
I'm curious, is the trailer avaliable online? I saw it at games day but thought it was a trailer for a new game! Blunder, don't tell Codex productions. You gotta wonder if they chose that name just to land the gig ;)

Anonymous_Guy
18-10-2009, 23:11
I'm curious, is the trailer avaliable online? I saw it at games day but thought it was a trailer for a new game! Blunder, don't tell Codex productions. You gotta wonder if they chose that name just to land the gig ;)

:eek: Hold up...

You saw a trailer of the movie at Games Day? Which Games Day was it and what was in it, oh and what were the graphics like?

Anon Out

BaloOrk
18-10-2009, 23:31
This will be the best 40k movie ever made to this day

Anonymous_Guy
19-10-2009, 00:10
This will be the best 40k movie ever made to this day

Well considering it will be the ONLY 40k movie to see the light of day...I hope :rolleyes:

Anyway what exactly makes you say that, seen something we haven't?

Anon Out

Occulto
19-10-2009, 00:44

Woefully bad.

There's few (if any) redeeming features at all.

Condottiere
19-10-2009, 04:35

The terminator better be a concept piece lol... ... the bright red eyes remind me of Chaos Gate! lol!!!

sjYes, the competent actors phoned it in, the less experienced ones went over the top and the movie seemed directionless.

Grimbad
19-10-2009, 05:27
Well considering it will be the ONLY 40k movie to see the light of day...I hope :rolleyes:

Anyway what exactly makes you say that, seen something we haven't?

Anon Out

Not the only ever made, but Damnatus is in the light of dusk and Inquisitor doesn't deserve any light at all.
Final Liberation cutscenes were pretty good, though.

Moreover, it confirms that while the style is overshaded and somewhat cartoonish, there will be blood.

kaimarion
19-10-2009, 05:48

I hope to god that image is fake :cries:, if it look like that I'am not even going to bother wasting any of my time watching such an eyesore.
After seeing that image I've lost almost all hope that this movie is going to be good but I guess we will just have to wait and see *sigh*.

Well had to get that out of my system :).

Sinisterfence
19-10-2009, 20:02
tbf, I could accept if it looked like that, as long as they fixed the glowing eyes and shoulder torch.. they ruin it! What is this, the 90s?!

AlltoEasy
19-10-2009, 23:55
They may put it in cinemas?

It wont be their choice... Film makers dont all have their work distributed into cinema you know.. its a very comepetitive process.

Just think on this.. you are a film distro, selling to cinema/screen owners....

So mr cinema chain over we have this great cgi film about a subject matter that involves painting toy soldiers. Ohh it doesnt matter that no one outside the hobby will be interested. What do you mean no one will watch it? They will I swear.... Ohh ok you want 50 prints of Jennifer Aniston's latest Rom Com instead.. Righto... Straight to DVD it is then.

Dude, it aint got jack to with film distro any more, ten years ago maybe, but if you have enough money. YOU could get a film into cinemas. Attendance is way way down so cinema owing folk will let just about anyone show anything in a cinema if you have the cash. Ten years ago? Did you ever think you would be able to watch F1 races, Girls Aloud concerts, Football Matches at the cinema!

GW would just need to go to Odeon or Vue direct and cut a deal. It wouldn't even cost that much even if they were just using it as a publicity stunt for the DVD release. They would even have to go to the bother of striking film prints because 90% of the chain cinemas can project digital media now.

reds8n
20-10-2009, 08:28
meanwhile...some small details...

Some companies were recruiting for specific projects, like Ultramarines – A Warhammer 40,000 Movie. London-based production company Codex Pictures is producing in the UK and Canada on Ultramarines, a feature-length movie destined for DVD/Blu-Ray. The animated science-fiction thriller set in Games Workshop's futuristic Warhammer 40,000 universe and is employing CGI and state-of-the-art animation production techniques.

The Ultramarines film is being produced by Codex Pictures in association with Good Story Productions Ltd. The Canadian co-producer is POP6 Studios of Montreal. POP6 was at OIAF actively recruiting animators to work on the 70-minute movie, which promises to give fans all the deadly Warhammer action that they might crave.

linky (http://www.awn.com/news/people/ottawa-international-animation-festival-2009-day-4-animation-hustle)

MF3000
20-10-2009, 09:15
Nice find reds8n!

sj

Bitterman
20-10-2009, 12:09
I was looking forward to this until I saw that termie pic. I really hope they work more on the proportions, the textures -because the hammer isnīt textured at all- and...pretty much everything else.

Damn...Amazing how a pic can utterly destroy oneīs optimism.

Apologist
20-10-2009, 12:53
Hmm... I happened to be googling 'Ultramarine Terminator Deviantart' earlier, and this is the second picture that comes up.

The Terminator is from a Russian artist called 'spawn237' on deviantart.com, so I'm calling Photoshop shenanigans on the poster or his source.

Link (http://spawn237.deviantart.com/)

That said, before a witchhunt is started, it's possible the artist is working on the film.

I rather liked it, to be honest – I was planning on asking the artist if he'd like to contribute some work to a Space Hulk expansion (hence why I was googling Ultramarine Terminators!). I'm not keen on the glowing eyes, and the white feels a little too vibrant, but for fanwork, it's sensational.

Spider-pope
20-10-2009, 16:30
Id say Terminator pic is almost definately a fake, and not even a very good one. There is a distinct change in background colour just below the terminators stand, the Ultramarines logo picture has clearly been cut and pasted below it.

Not to mention the link posted by Apologist where the image is described as fan artwork.
No screen captures so far is a good sign if you ask me. Do we really want a repeat of BloodQuest, where the company making it made fancypants images but bugger all else?

Brother Enok
20-10-2009, 22:53
I can't imagine where the nickname whineseer came from for this forum.

Jeeze, whats with all the negativity? If its good, great, grab it from the bargin bin, order a pizza make a night of it.
If its smells worse than Jurgens socks and after a long-drag on Tallarn, don't bother and move on.

The detractors amoung you make it sound like you're in defacite of somthing if it sucks.

Coasty
22-10-2009, 07:44

I saw it. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth (and what happened in the film was pretty bad, too).

Anywho.

There had better be orks in this thing, or Mr Flibble will be very cross.

genestealer_baldric
22-10-2009, 16:17
iam wondering if they would do it in this style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIkn6pWpums&feature=rec-HM-fresh+div

kudos to the maker though

Max Jet
22-10-2009, 17:55
Although I have extremely low expectations, I am looking forward to this.

If the movie turns out to be succesfull and get's a lot of fans you will surely notcie the rising attention towards Warhammer 40k (just like Dawn of War did) maybe even Hollywood attention?

If the movie is bad, which I expect, then they will likely deliver a very bad plot also, that means you can add another Movie to the "Hilarious to make fun of" pile, just like Turkish Star Wars, or Troll 2. What's not to like?

PS: I mean hell... look at transformers! Give your buddies a beer and watch the two parts, you will love to make fun of it! So this is a message to the authors and animators. If you make it bad.. make it REALLY bad so that you can earn a cult status at least!

Spider-pope
22-10-2009, 18:42
PS: I mean hell... look at transformers! Give your buddies a beer and watch the two parts, you will love to make fun of it! So this is a message to the authors and animators. If you make it bad.. make it REALLY bad so that you can earn a cult status at least!

Far easier way to make it a cult hit, and possibly retain some semblence of quality: Cast Bruce Campbell.

"Hail to the Emperor baby"

Condottiere
22-10-2009, 18:54
Bruce Campbell as Ciaphas Cain.

Tethylis
22-10-2009, 23:30
As a consolation prize. Just think, if this movie is coming out as a straight-to-DVD release and it sucks that much...at least u will have got yourself a free large blast marker :D:D

destroyerlord
24-10-2009, 01:25
Not really free, but better than nothing I suppose :p

Road-Kill
24-10-2009, 01:56
I can just imagine the explosiveness of the eldar players at the idea of Orar's tomb. @dalanshin - The dawn of war style would be EPIC but might get tedious for the whole 70 minutes without a completely bullet-proof plotline.

Caiphas Cain
24-10-2009, 02:42
Bruce Campbell as Ciaphas Cain.

As if I would let such a man impersonate me! :p

Coasty
24-10-2009, 19:40
...you can add another Movie to the "Hilarious to make fun of" pile, just like Turkish Star Wars, or Troll 2.

Oh my GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

Ahem.

Hellebore
25-10-2009, 03:29
I hope they do away with the 'direct translation of proportions from table top to screen' that seems to permeate any picture of 40k, space marines especially.

No, bolt pistols aren't two feet long, no chainswords don't have 10cm wide teeth or weigh half a tonne.

It's the reason the armourcast titans look crap, they scaled up EPIC details to 40k size. What, you really think the warhound has 5 rivets on its shin bigger than a man because a model a twelfth the size was sculpted that way?

Hellebore

Luc1fer
12-11-2009, 20:51
they can't fail if they follow the whole 300 theme of ABSOLUTELY NO PLOT and mindless killing. seeing a decent, fluff friendly plot would be great but in 70 minutes I would be entirely unsurprised if the movie tries to make the plot tooooo complicated and ruin the movie, and therefore the chances of any more, and longer movies

btw i'm a first time poster hi

steveb
12-11-2009, 22:29
The basic setup of 300 substituting Ultras for Spartans and Orks for Persians would actually work very well...

Demrush
13-11-2009, 01:48
The basic setup of 300 substituting Ultras for Spartans and Orks for Persians would actually work very well...

Replace Xerxes with a greater demon of Slaneesh and we've got ourselves a movie!

But I have to agree; a 300 style movie would be the way to go because with only 70 mins worth of screen time...chances are you'll end up spending too much on the plot at the expense of action AND still end up with an unfinished story line.

Calarax
17-11-2009, 21:32
I got the impression from the developer's website it would marines vs tyranids. the whole film is CGI. If you look at the developers previous work it looks horribly childish and very G rated....they're biggest gig so far is that they make Lego cartoons.

This straight to DVD "film" is a ploy to scam cash off die hard fans who will be utterly disappointed at the lack of realism or even capturing any of the feel of the 40k universe, while targeting a new younger audience to try and get them into the game....to get GW more money.

When they get Ridley Scott, Peter Jackson, James Cameron to direct/produce an R rated Horus Heresy film trilogy co-directed/written by Rick Priestly, John Blanche, Jervis Johnson, Gav Thorpe and Andy Chambers, I think then, and only then, will we have a real film to look forward to.

Hopefully im proven at least somewhat wrong because it would be really cool to have a decent film. If it was at worst the quality of the dawn of war cut scenes I would be surprised and probably enjoy it, but im not even going to remotely look forward to the release of this until i see lots of positive reviews.

screw post-2004 games workshop and their marketing crap.

Dai-Mongar
18-11-2009, 11:18
I predict a 70 minute commercial, a bit like the bastard child of White Dwarf and a Saturday morning cartoon. Can't say I'll be rushing to buy a copy.

Brother Sigrud
18-11-2009, 16:24
Thanks, it'll be interesting to see what he does with the Ultras..

Hope they are not as over the top as the Brothers of the Snake..

Brother Loki
18-11-2009, 16:36
I couldn't be happier. He has a gift for dialogue. Hopefully they'll manage to refer to them only as Adeptus Astartes, and not the rather infantile sounding 'space marines'.

Bloodknight
18-11-2009, 16:42
Hey, he said that this will be the first 40K movie; which implies there might be more to come. So, guys: buy, don't pirate ^^.

Avian
18-11-2009, 16:51
Dan Abnett wrote a movie script: Yaaaaayyyy!
... but it's about Ultramarines: *groan*

Major ambivalent feelings about this one.

The director is Martyn Pick, whose credits include the 2009 film The Age of Stupid.
Must. Not. Make. Comparison. To. 40K. Universe.
:D

rabblerouser
18-11-2009, 16:52
I'm pretty excited!

fiore hellheart
18-11-2009, 17:02
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=103046903047349&ref=nf

New vid revealing that the screenplay script was written a good 2 years ago and that dan abnett himself has written it. It also reveals that he has seen some form of animation and he appears to be pleased with the portrayal of the marines. Thats fantastic news for all of us as nobody else is really in a much better situation to evaluate how good the film is.

I personally can not wait and this vid has made me more eager for it.

x-esiv-4c
18-11-2009, 17:39
Ohhh I get a "Brotherhood of the Snake" feeling....

shin'keiro
18-11-2009, 18:25
So according to the new interview with Dan Abnett - the movie pre-production has been around since 2006 !!!

Compel
18-11-2009, 18:34
Urgh, I was hoping this wouldn't happen. And no, not the Dan Abnett thing - that's great news! I'm feeling more confident now.

However, the announcement video at the bottom. My mate's there. 54 seconds (Ultramarines) and at 2 minutes 9 seconds (ultramarinesthemovie.com). I was just off to the side of him there. I'm never going to live this down.

On the bright side though... Seeing the rest of the footage from that video I'm pretty dang glad I'm *not* there.

kaimarion
18-11-2009, 19:42
Dan Adnett wrote the screenplay well that is bloody great news :D.
My faith in this movie being good has been restored.

BaloOrk
18-11-2009, 21:39
Hey, he said that this will be the first 40K movie; which implies there might be more to come. So, guys: buy, don't pirate ^^.

I cant agree more.

Guys(and the mysterious wargaming girls)... buying is the way to go here, pirates will be hung in their bootstraps.

cthorpe
18-11-2009, 22:04
WOW way to go.. Dan Abnett being involved with this film can only be a great thing.. I'm certainly encouraged by this news..

Carl

Champer Master Zavian
19-11-2009, 02:15
The news that Dan Abnett has written the screenplay has really raised my hopes a little for this movie. Horus Rising was a really good book, and if this is even half as good as Horus Rising, this should be at least mildly entertaining.

Hellebore
19-11-2009, 02:26
Dan Abnett's last forray into space marines had a tactical squad carrying a metric tonne each of ammo to shoot 3000 dark eldar to death with no casualties.

If this is anything like that it will be the worst thing GW could have done. Hey Kids remember how we told you how teh awesumz marines are? Well now we can show you a 3D movie of them humiliating your friends' army with illogical plot development. Did you know that space marine bolters have unlimited ammo?

Hellebore

Huw_Dawson
19-11-2009, 02:29
I think that's taking it a little too far, Hellebore. It's like you're complaining that every kid bought a toy Lightsaber rather than a Stormtrooper helmet because Vader was portrayed as more cool. If I can watch it and just enjoy it in a sort of low budget cheesy-but-awesome way, I'm good.

This is only a 70 minute (which really isn't that long) film about a core of elite guys in big suits of armour being exceedingly violent and morally grey. I personally suspect that it will be versus Orks, simply because GW Orc/ks are the second most iconic part of the GW IP.

- Huw

EDIT: I kind of wish they were doing a Blood Angels one. The Leonidas saga is probably one of the best GW IP stories of all time.

Compel
19-11-2009, 02:53
Wasn't Abnetts last Space Marine novel, Legion?

Then Brothers of the Snake, then before then Horus Rising.

Don't forget The Dark King as well.

In other words, I'm perfectly happy to accept that Brothers of the Snake was a (failed) experiment. It does look like GW are trying very hard though to make it not suck. I am at least confident that GW will do their bit for it. However, I still maintain that I'm worried about the viewers, expecially seeing that bottom youtube video.

chromedog
19-11-2009, 06:37
I think I'll wait for the download.

Not the torrent, the free and legal download.

I'll be waiting a while. That's fine. I really hope this will be their FF:TSW (in EVERY way).

Pooky
19-11-2009, 08:39
Dan Abnett on the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBsWc1i4Cr4

genestealer_baldric
19-11-2009, 10:22
haha just watched the gamesday video and about 1/2 the people shown are from my local store.

hmm i hope ventris dosnt get inculded at all except to be on the wrong end of an extermintus.

but i think it must be either vs Nids or orks for the battles, no cookie for guessing my choice :)

Londinium
19-11-2009, 11:42
Dan Abnett's last forray into space marines had a tactical squad carrying a metric tonne each of ammo to shoot 3000 dark eldar to death with no casualties.

If this is anything like that it will be the worst thing GW could have done. Hey Kids remember how we told you how teh awesumz marines are? Well now we can show you a 3D movie of them humiliating your friends' army with illogical plot development. Did you know that space marine bolters have unlimited ammo?

Hellebore

The Eldar fanboi within is strong. It's a self funded CGI film made by a company with little real trackrecord in the business aside from some Bionicle shorts a few year back. It's inevitably going to be awful trashy nonsense, Dan Abnett or not. At least Abnett might be able to promote it from awful trashy nonsense to the kind of trashy nonsense you don't despise for wasting two hours of your life.

BlackLegion
21-11-2009, 16:56
Here is a snipped of the movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLankQDUBP4

*ducks for cover*

fiore hellheart
21-11-2009, 19:16
Was there any need to post that vid dude, its pointless cos its quite definetly not this movie.

Besides, im sure ive already posted a link to that guys you tube account, cos he has made some good stuff, in this thread already. The tau one is better than the necron one though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0AiS8OPOL0&feature=related <-- tau one

5Pointer
21-11-2009, 20:02
Was there any need to post that vid dude, its pointless cos its quite definetly not this movie.

Besides, im sure ive already posted a link to that guys you tube account, cos he has made some good stuff, in this thread already. The tau one is better than the necron one though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0AiS8OPOL0&feature=related <-- tau one

Bad, and made worse by the atriocious spelling mistakes in the text.

I'm guessing the Ultramarines film will be as boring as these fan-made heaps (although I'd hope technically more proficient).

Grimbad
21-11-2009, 21:16
Bad, and made worse by the atriocious spelling mistakes in the text.

Not to mention the ridiculous depiction of Tau as close combat masters. The Ultramarines one is way better, even if the marines are a bit sluggish.

fiore hellheart
21-11-2009, 22:41
Okay, there are a few spelling mistakes, my guess being that the guys primary language isn't going to be english. However the quality of animation is far superior, being far smoother in terms of the fluidity of hte actions and much more realistic. Also the matching to the music track is more fitting and works better. Take for example the movement of the necrons, theirs is terrible keeping the arms near to stationary when moviong for example, however the movement of the firewarriors is far better in comparison.

It must be admitted however that the atmospheric setting in the ultras one is better with a good fog/mist and interesting although not brilliant gauss effects.

Hellebore
21-11-2009, 23:04
The Eldar fanboi within is strong. It's a self funded CGI film made by a company with little real trackrecord in the business aside from some Bionicle shorts a few year back. It's inevitably going to be awful trashy nonsense, Dan Abnett or not. At least Abnett might be able to promote it from awful trashy nonsense to the kind of trashy nonsense you don't despise for wasting two hours of your life.

Well, I'm a fan of logic first and the idea that 10 men can shoot to death several thousand, no matter how good their shooting is, is absurd unless they are completely covered head to foot in magazines for their guns. A trained solider doesn't hit is mark even 50% of the time with his shots fired. Even given marines are teh leet awesums they don't have a 100% successful shooting rate and so would need at least twice as many bolts as the enemy has bodies, perhaps more. I can't see a marine squad carrying 6000 rounds (600 rounds each).

But yes, it will be trashy nonsense. I'm just affraid it will do nothing more than increase the divide between products GW sells even more. I wouldn't be surprised if soon they market space marines as the army you play and every other army as the bad guys you have to fight, like space hulk.

I'm looking forward to this film in a sort of car accident kind of way. I can't look away.

Hellebore

Calarax
28-11-2009, 06:54
^what he said...again. but dare i say i actually have a glint of hope since they did attempt some level of effort, although not what i demanded in my previous post, by getting an author with some 40k knowledge. and to be honest, im not the hugest fan of Abnett. hence his exclusion from my post regarding what a real 40k film should be. anyways im done touching it until its out. p.s. those cgi pics someone posted are pure home made fan art and unrelated to the "film".

Latro_
17-12-2009, 11:42
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM6JvAL-HV0

move if irrelevant

grissom2006
17-12-2009, 11:44
Be better in the huge section for this that was put in other GW talk although it's most likely in there already.

kaimarion
17-12-2009, 11:45
I'am currently loading the video just now and I really hope there is some footage shown in this video.
Nope no luck again :(.

Kirill
17-12-2009, 11:54
Looks good.
I hope this guy isn't in charge of the script though..
"Brother Sergeant! That Mawloc is heading straight for us!"
"Throne.. That vile thing is huge epic bigness!"
Least his says Tyranids correctly :p

Just kidding, it's nice to see someone with (Seemingly) a good sense of the 40k universe making a movie about it. It's also great to see it isn't a marketing ploy so much and that they want to make it for the fans.
There would be nothing worse than having a situation where those two factors are missing.

Fyi; i wouldn't watch the "teaser trailer" if i was you.

Kravunhive
17-12-2009, 11:58
Sounds Promising. Will be keeping an eye on this. Shame there's no footage....yet

Azzy
17-12-2009, 12:23
Gotta say I'm looking forward to this. The fact that they're not taking the Hollywood approach is encouraging. I don't care if the SFX are on the level of the old Doctor Who serials as long as the story is good and it respects the game's background.

wilsonian
17-12-2009, 12:29
I'm all up for interviews but show us some content!!!

Also I just hope they have things in scale.... the Live action videos from the early 90's was horrible!

Samuell
17-12-2009, 12:33
"Valor, honour, courage, ..." Sounds like a hollywood focus to me. I guess the depressiveness, blood & gore wasn't child friendly enough.
I really hope it'll be a mature film, but I'm starting to lose hope.

Idaan
17-12-2009, 13:33
The real question is, how many Avatars/C'tans/Hierophants are bitchslapped by the squad's Veteran Sergeant. I'd like them to address that in the next video.

BramGaunt
17-12-2009, 17:00
"We don't want to add some romantic angle..."

I imagine that REALLY funny...

Lucius the Eternal: "Oh, Venomthrope.... your Lash whips are so... mmmh.... tender..."
Venomthrope: [Insert the Sound Zoidberg from Futurama makes when he's scared. For reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYwbzANCBuU&NR=1 ]

Azzy
17-12-2009, 19:36
"We don't want to add some romantic angle..."

I imagine that REALLY funny...

Lucius the Eternal: "Oh, Venomthrope.... your Lash whips are so... mmmh.... tender..."
Venomthrope: [Insert the Sound Zoidberg from Futurama makes when he's scared. For reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYwbzANCBuU&NR=1 ]

Well, it'd be that or something along the lines of:

Sicarus: Marneus, I wish I knew how to quit you.

MrTheFish
18-12-2009, 00:17
Lets face it, it's either going to be
a) written by a guy who has no knowledge of 40k but needs the money
b) written by a guy who claims they know everything about 40k, but doesn't

It could be worse, it could be written by a total fan boy, and anyone who's bothered to watch AvP:R knows how bad that can be xD

There are some definites for this movie though. It'll definitely be kiddie orientated, because that's GW's target market, no offense to older gamers/collectors/modelers.
It'll definitely not go too much into detail on the Impirium, because lets face it, it's an intolerant fascist regime that doesn't tolerate anyone stepping even one inch outside accepted behavior before squishing them into a bloody pool of goo.
It'll definitely show the Ultramarines as every man a hero through and through, pure and wonderful supersoldiers that toss enemies aside as if they aren't even there and help small children and old people across the road.

Lets face it, the movie that most of us want will never be made because it'd cost too much money to make and would be rated R meaning like 75% of GW's current crop of customers couldn't watch it. It's a pure money making project, and that dear readers means lowest common denominator.

Saying all that, I'll still watch it, just in case its better than I fear :D

The_Navigator
18-12-2009, 03:45
I don't see it being kid oriented. The author is one of my favorite for 40K fiction, and his books are always filled with gore and blood and main characters dying horrible deaths.

Prediction based off his books: We get to know a squad. They have a charismatic sergeant/captain. Over half of them get eviscerated horribly during some journey across [insert wasteland here] and then face off against some horrible monstrosity. The end.

40k The movie!
18-12-2009, 11:05
There are some definites for this movie though. It'll definitely be kiddie orientated, because that's GW's target market, no offense to older gamers/collectors/modelers.

I've never really understood why people are so determined GW's universes and games are specifically aimed at kids. Kid's are drawn to 40K/WHFB the same way they're drawn to horror movies: i.e. they're for "grown-ups" and forbidden.

Struggling to think of a single piece of GW-published fiction (in whatever form) that isn't so utterly blood-soaked that it would make even a "PG-13" rated movie.

I'm not saying it's impossible the film will be toned down, just that it would be unprecedented in relation to what has gone before.

Absolutely cannot wait for it to be released! Cheers

Neil

EldritchRaider
22-12-2009, 09:13
Oh my god! I have been waiting for this for years...Seriously
This movie will either be very good or very bad- firstly they need good effects, they need a well working awesome CGI, motion caption and such.
Also, they need to use some of the more diverse races- Eldar will be good to have but they will probably just go ahead and generate a sort of Elf in spacey armour. But if they can include Orks, Chaos, maybe even Necrons- that wuld be good.
Also, and I can't stress this enough- they can't tone it down... If they try and lower a 40k movie to the rating of PG it will ruin the idea. There needs to be the heavy violence and supernatural themes that make warhammer just what it is- a grim picture of the future of man.
They'll need to make many many references to the codex's too, as I hate it when games/books and such make terrible mistakes about the history and units etc.

anyway, I am really looking forward to this- god willing it will turn out great haha :D

Malakai
22-12-2009, 17:18
It could be worse, it could be written by a total fan boy

It's written by Dan Abnett. Many consider him to be the top man on 40K books at the Black Library. I think we're safe from fanboy movies.

There are some definites for this movie though. It'll definitely be kiddie orientated, because that's GW's target market

I beg to differ. 40K video games are rated M for Mature, this movie will be no different. In fact, because it's a straight to DVD release it may carry an unrated tag.

It'll definitely not go too much into detail on the Impirium, because lets face it, it's an intolerant fascist regime that doesn't tolerate anyone stepping even one inch outside accepted behavior before squishing them into a bloody pool of goo.

I think you're right about them not going into too much detail about the Imperium, but I think the reason being is that it would take far too long to explain.

It'll definitely show the Ultramarines as every man a hero through and through, pure and wonderful supersoldiers that toss enemies aside as if they aren't even there and help small children and old people across the road.

lol :rolleyes:

kaimarion
22-12-2009, 21:40
Looks like they have finally decided to release a picture: http://ultramarinesthemovie.com/news/2009-12-22/ultramarines-movie-concept-design-revealed

vladsimpaler
23-12-2009, 08:08
It's written by Dan Abnett. Many consider him to be the top man on 40K books at the Black Library. I think we're safe from fanboy movies.

Or we're safe from a cruddy movie but we're still gonna get a fanboy-esque movie. Good thing it's Ultramarines and not the Iron Snakes.

But let's get real here, who else writes for BL? C.S. Goto and a few other random people.

Brother Siccarius
23-12-2009, 11:00
I think we can disassemble what's going to happen, based on the fact that Abnett is writing it.

It could be worse, it could be written by a total fan boy, and anyone who's bothered to watch AvP:R knows how bad that can be xD

Unlikely. If GW wanted to sell a movie or anything to a target market of 13 and under they'd have to remove the entire background, even the idea of politics, and a very large majority of the bloodshed and violence from the entirety of the 40k universe. Any movie that made itself oriented to be less violent ended up moving violence off-screen. That just aint gonna happen in either a 40k movie or something written by Abnett, who revels in long, choreographed fight scenes even in short novels.

You can sell the idea to anyone, and Abnett routinely does in his books. No one will see a totalitarian regime when all you're seeing is thousands of people who volunteered to join in the defense of humanity, which is under attack by millions of creatures and alien species everywhere.

This isn't an indepth political film, it'll be more like Aliens, the most you see of the politics of the Imperium is a few grumbling soldiers complaining about not getting rations on time.

Unlikely, again. Abnett likes a character driven story. There are plenty of terrible people fighting alongside the flawed, good guys.

Lets face it, the movie that most of us want will never be made because it'd cost too much money to make and would be rated R meaning like 75% of GW's current crop of customers couldn't watch it. It's a pure money making project, and that dear readers means lowest common denominator.

M & T rated games out for 40k would disagree with you. R rating means jack all, if the parents are letting their kid play warhammer with all the blood gore and violence on every page of even the rulebooks, then there's no way they wont let their kid see the movie. It's not going to be released in theatres, and the vast majority of cashiers at the stores that might sell it aren't going to care one way or the other how old the buyer is. It'll be a small release, even among the people who play warhammer (cause not everyone lives on the inter-webz and would know about it like we do).

It'll be a story with an over-arching plot (that's more of an umbrella over the story than a solid baseline), that's got character development in between long, flashy fight scenes, and the characters will be unrealistically good at what they do in combat (but hey, it's a movie, and it's a 40k movie so you have to expect it). At least, that's the way Abnett writes.

Or we're safe from a cruddy movie but we're still gonna get a fanboy-esque movie. Good thing it's Ultramarines and not the Iron Snakes.

But let's get real here, who else writes for BL? C.S. Goto and a few other random people.

He had Guardsmen killing hundreds, he had to do something to up the ante for writing marines. Couldn't have them just do as well as guard now could he? ;)

Supremearchmarshal
23-12-2009, 11:49
This isn't an indepth political film, it'll be more like Aliens, the most you see of the politics of the Imperium is a few grumbling soldiers complaining about not getting rations on time.

Unlikely, again. Abnett likes a character driven story. There are plenty of terrible people fighting alongside the flawed, good guys.

Depends on who exactly features in the movie. I can't imagine the Ultramarines moaning about rations or something, and I kinda doubt they'd show them slaughtering civilians or something. After all, they're supposed to be one of the more humane chapters. Likewise, any flaws will likely be recklessness or something similar. I just don't see them turning traitor, or acting for personal gain.

He had Guardsmen killing hundreds, he had to do something to up the ante for writing marines. Couldn't have them just do as well as guard now could he? ;)

If he does an Iron Snakes rehash, it will look extremely fanboyish, and 40k forums will be ablaze with even more Ultramarine hate. Especially if the antagonists are Eldar. :angel:

In the end, Ultramarines are GW's poser boys so I expect they'll be shown in the best possible light (i.e. way over the top). I hope the movie proves me wrong on this, but I really doubt it will be so.

EDIT: Now if they had Abnett write something like Eisenhorn, that would rock. But as-is we're probably getting a long "buy Space Marines!" commercial.

genestealer_baldric
07-01-2010, 20:02
did any one else get an email saying "A site administrator at Ultramarines The Movie: Blog has created an account for you"

today its seems rather random.

Ph4lanx
07-01-2010, 21:34
I did. They've setup a blog, if you follow the links in the e-mail, you can see it.

only joking...
09-01-2010, 13:08
Will this be a straight to DVD or a cinematic release?

reds8n
27-01-2010, 08:56
straight to DVD.

http://www.yachtchartersmagazine.com/node/1261057

not much but people might know something about the company and/or their work.

Condottiere
27-01-2010, 10:31
It would be interesting if you could laserscupt individual faces onto models as well. I see possibilities for further collaborations.

reds8n
28-01-2010, 08:48
Related to the above I guess.

http://ultramarinesthemovie.com/news/2010-01-26/ultramarines-production-update

fiore hellheart
28-01-2010, 20:06
http://ultramarinesthemovie.com/gallery

Condottiere
29-01-2010, 05:02
I think a danger exists that they alienate the human element too greatly, in which case the audience loses empathy.

Malakai
29-01-2010, 11:58
Has anyone ever heard of an Apothecarian Servitor? I don't read many of the Black Library books, so I'm not sure if this is something new or if it's been in the background before.

Also I dig that Bolter round. I like how it's scribed "For The Emperor" on it.

As to that facial construction software, isn't that the kind of stuff they used in "Avatar"?

Count Zero
29-01-2010, 13:24
i'm sure its in there somewhere, they have servitors for practically everything else it would seem.

WinglessVT2
29-01-2010, 20:23
This is gonna suck, isn't it?

Condottiere
29-01-2010, 21:51
Suck is such a vague terminology; we must consider the capabilities of all concerned and their past performances, to anticipate whether it will.

The Dude
30-01-2010, 00:13
Has anyone ever heard of an Apothecarian Servitor? I don't read many of the Black Library books, so I'm not sure if this is something new or if it's been in the background before.

Fairly sure they were mentioned in the novel Space Marine as being present during the transformation, but it's been some long, long years since I read that :(

Batwings
30-01-2010, 00:32
If that concept art is any indication, I smell weak sauce.

The Dude
30-01-2010, 00:55
They can't all be as awesome as you Batwings ;)

reds8n
09-03-2010, 19:00
http://ultramarinesthemovieblog.com/blog/2010-03-09/vox-casting

HOly crap ! That's quite a cast they've got assembled.

firestorm40k
09-03-2010, 19:49
HOly crap ! That's quite a cast they've got assembled.
You're not frakkin' kidding! :eek:

At least, judging by this, the film makers appear to be taking it as seriously as we all think they should be. I think they want to appear that way, too...

The Dude
09-03-2010, 23:02
Looking good. Glad to hear they're going for Mo-Cap too. Should hopefully turn out well.

John Hurt rocks the house, and I'm interested to hear he has had previous exposure to 40K

Santar
09-03-2010, 23:34
I'm waiting to see if John Pertwee makes it through the film alive. :D

Condottiere
09-03-2010, 23:38
Good cast, but we'll have to see how they integrate that with the script and the graphics.

The Dude
09-03-2010, 23:41
I'm waiting to see if John Pertwee makes it through the film alive. :D

That could be difficult :shifty:

Wolf Scout Ewan
10-03-2010, 00:49
When I heard about this I thought "This might be worth a giggle but I bet the acting will be a bit poor"... now I'm rather excited!

baphomael
10-03-2010, 05:01
Yeap, pretty good cast they've got going on there. Hopefully, Abnett's script wont just be tired 'For the Emperor!!!!!!!!" cliches and allows for their acting talent to show through a little. Marines can be more than the 2d robots much of the fluff paints them as.

Imperialis_Dominatus
10-03-2010, 08:41
I've not heard of any of these voice actors... this may turn out well, therefore.

Ye gods, been gone from Warseer for too long.

Anyway, yeah. Good to see this is shaping up to be exciting in the eyes of others who are more versed in such matters and not so inebriated by the vino.

Dai-Mongar
10-03-2010, 10:04
I've not heard of any of these voice actors... this may turn out well, therefore.

Ye gods, been gone from Warseer for too long.

Anyway, yeah. Good to see this is shaping up to be exciting in the eyes of others who are more versed in such matters and not so inebriated by the vino.

You've never heard of John Hurt? :wtf:
Good God. :eek:

Buftoon
10-03-2010, 10:51
John Hurt is the guy who the Alien bursts out of in the first Alien Movie :)

Condottiere
10-03-2010, 11:05
Let's hope that's not an omen of how his character dies.

Dai-Mongar
10-03-2010, 11:23
John Hurt is the guy who the Alien bursts out of in the first Alien Movie :)

Among other things, yes.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000457/
Intersting that Ultramarines isn't listed there, though. Or anywhere else on IMDb.

Imperialis_Dominatus
10-03-2010, 11:54
You've never heard of John Hurt? :wtf:
Good God. :eek:

I am not very culturally educated.

reds8n
10-03-2010, 12:18
..where's Mr. Philbrad's avatar when you need it eh ?

King Felix
10-03-2010, 14:14
This is looking like they are really taking it seriously...

Great news they have Zod onboard!

Art Is Resistance
10-03-2010, 14:52
Terence Stamp and John Hurt are two very talented actors - not to mention Pertwee!

As long as the script is tight, and the animation up to scratch (unlike say, the lamentable Dragonlance 'movie'), this should be good!

only joking...
10-03-2010, 19:05
Very hopeful of something better than average now :D

The Dude
10-03-2010, 23:14
Among other things, yes.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000457/
Intersting that Ultramarines isn't listed there, though. Or anywhere else on IMDb.

It's only just been announced. I'm sure it will go up sooner or later.

warflag
11-03-2010, 01:47
It's only just been announced. I'm sure it will go up sooner or later.

Pretty likely, Iīd say ;)

I think what he meant was that usuallly imdb lists even rumoured movies. So, actually funny "Ultramarines" isnīt listed yet.

OT, I liked what the guys had to say about their engagement. Shows thereīs more geeks out there than one thinks.

Is there something like a release date? A rough estimate?

Coasty
15-03-2010, 13:37
Let's hope that's not an omen of how his character dies.

A Shokk-attackified snotling exploding out of John Hurt would be pretty neat...

Slaytanic
25-03-2010, 19:21
Just found new concept art for the Ultramarines movie. Looks pretty decent to me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ultramarinesthemovie/

Starchild
26-03-2010, 16:17
"Ultramar Segmentum"

It's supposed to be Ultima Segmentum, Macragge Sector
(facepalm)

Nice artwork though. I just hope they get little details correct, like *not* confusing the name of the largest galactic partition of the Imperium with a tiny sector of it. :(

The God of Decay
26-03-2010, 16:38
ooh, I like the Concept for the T-Hawk!

and the loading bay servitor looks interesting...

Malice&Mizery
26-03-2010, 17:00
Saw all this from the Facebook group. Looks nice.

dragonet111
26-03-2010, 17:32
The artwoks are very nice, and the voice casting is pretty cool too I think. An ultramarines movie wasn't really something I wanted but now it begin to look good.
I hope the movie will be a success and the first of many. I don't play Eldars but I really want to see some Eldars action, maybe the defense of Iyanden.

Ominous Anonymous
26-03-2010, 17:41
"Ultramar Segmentum"

(facepalm)

Oh yea man how dare they I mean c'mon UGH :mad:

The pestilent 1
26-03-2010, 17:59
"Ultramar Segmentum"

(facepalm)

Nice artwork though. I just hope they get little details correct, like *not* confusing the name of the largest galactic partition of the Imperium with a tiny sector of it. :(

They are aware, but left the typo in because, well, defeats the point to change the current concept art without leaving the old stuff in.

trigger
26-03-2010, 23:47
This is looking quite good , but i fear they have kind of shot them selves in the foot by letting peole know it is happening to soon. These take years to make , ether we will not see this hit the screens for another 2-3 years or they are alot futher on than they are letting on .... i hope its the later. Before this loses all its hype.

Absolutionis
27-03-2010, 03:41
This is looking quite good , but i fear they have kind of shot them selves in the foot by letting peole know it is happening to soon. These take years to make , ether we will not see this hit the screens for another 2-3 years or they are alot futher on than they are letting on .... i hope its the later. Before this loses all its hype.It's all an experiment from GW seeing how people react to something three years in advance.

Codex: Tyranids were a 'surprise' from GW.
Codex: Blood Angels were a long-term spoil.

If this movie ends up being a success in spite of being announced years in advance, GW will announce Codex: Dark Eldar (to be released 2018)

GimpMaster
27-03-2010, 10:51
the only way i wont like this movie is if the first half of the movie is all about describing what a space marine is....

just as long as they weren't lying about this being made for existing fans...not to draw the local masses of yokels in....

Spider-pope
27-03-2010, 12:16
This is looking quite good , but i fear they have kind of shot them selves in the foot by letting peole know it is happening to soon. These take years to make , ether we will not see this hit the screens for another 2-3 years or they are alot futher on than they are letting on .... i hope its the later. Before this loses all its hype.

I'd imagine it is further on than you think. After the disaster that was BloodQuest:The Movie i'd imagine GW would wait until they were sure Codex Productions were actually doing some work before announcing it.

The Phazer
27-03-2010, 13:00
To be honest it does seem somewhat odd from a production point of view that they've used a lot of time and budget creating concept art for many things where the look is already established and they don't seem to be changing anything.

It's a little concerning about the budget control part of this project if you're hoping for it to actually have an end result...

Tokamak
28-03-2010, 17:38
I'm loving the artwork but at the same time it gives me the feeling this movie will be balls.

(please no orks, no orks no orks)

The Ginger Ninja
29-03-2010, 06:13
(please no orks, no orks no orks)
what would you rather? Chaos? Tyranids*? Eldar/Dark Eldar?
I am sure everyone would love to see their army, and their are probably hundreds if not thousands who would disagree with (part of) your post

Brother Siccarius
29-03-2010, 06:23
To be honest it does seem somewhat odd from a production point of view that they've used a lot of time and budget creating concept art for many things where the look is already established and they don't seem to be changing anything.

It's a little concerning about the budget control part of this project if you're hoping for it to actually have an end result...

Except that the look changes. While you can buy models that all look the same, it's not so in the 40k background. There's hundreds of little things to change on, say, a tank to say "This is the Fist of Strom and that is the Stormbringer" without having the announce it a hundred times. Which is pretty obvious from what they're doing with the concept art.

The concept art also helps out the 3d designers and developers to make the CGI models, and the Developers to see what they like and what they want to change on the individual pieces before putting it into the movie.

FlashGordon
29-03-2010, 14:04
It is concept art. I would guess that the Artists are not UBERMEGAFLUFF Librarians. Alot of noise for nothing.
It looks good. Keept it up.:chrome:

Tokamak
29-03-2010, 14:12
I am sure everyone would love to see their army, and their are probably hundreds if not thousands who would disagree with (part of) your post

I play orks, it's just I don't think orks are proper antagonists for a movie. They're way too goofy and lack interesting motives (maybe that would exclude tyranids as well). Anything but orks really, I think I would prefer Eldar or Imperial guard.

If you're going to use mindless brutes then you're going to have to have some intrigue from within in order to make for a compelling story.

Messiah
29-03-2010, 14:15

Chaos would be so much better for a movie. I think most agree on that. (and Im and eldar player)

Lord_Of_Bats
29-03-2010, 14:38
Chaos would be so much better for a movie. I think most agree on that. (and Im and eldar player)

No chaos is the ultimate cliche in GW stories. They are far over-represented in games, comics, novels etc. It can be handled well but usually its just ooo you fools the secret ritual was accomplished by you, killing all my servents was exactly what i wanted you to do as now all the bloodshed summons blah blah blah.

A story with Eldar or Tau would convey the complicated nature of war and conflicting motivations. A story with Tyranids would give a simpler notion without any concern for either humanising or dehumanising the enemy making it more about the marines inside the conflict, also there's less risk of upsetting censors with violence against tyranids as they aren't humanoid. Orks is somewhat the same but with too much humanness to slide past the censors the way tyranids would with more brutish comedy and at that a risk of farce. Chaos needs to be done very well indeed to avoid current boring horror cliches and its things like the horus heresy stories that does that. Oh and the other problem with chaos marines is that it robs the marines of much of the heroic-stature stuff to face against foes also in power armour with the same size and bulk and numbers and weapons.

No i think Tyranids and the battle of macragge would be ideal, the red behemoth colour working well with the blue of ultramarines on screen. And it could bypass any aliens and starship troopers comparisons without too much trouble as the marines in-your-face fighting style changes the paradigm of that sort of story. Failing that a more complicated story of conflict with Eldar or Tau could work though would take much of the focus from the marines themselves in a way tyranids would not.

itcamefromthedeep
29-03-2010, 15:03
I see a need for proper cross-sections of things like the bolters and the vehicles for the sake of the CGI monkeys and (hopefully) the modellers. If any movie deserves to have some models for those shots, it's this. The thing is, we have these cross-section shots. They're in the army books and material from From Forge World.

I don't think new pictures were necessary, but I also don't know how much these cost the project. It might not matter. They needed concept artists regardless.

Messiah
30-03-2010, 00:42
No chaos is the ultimate cliche in GW stories. They are far over-represented in games, comics, novels etc. It can be handled well but usually its just ooo you fools the secret ritual was accomplished by you, killing all my servents was exactly what i wanted you to do as now all the bloodshed summons blah blah blah.

A story with Eldar or Tau would convey the complicated nature of war and conflicting motivations. A story with Tyranids would give a simpler notion without any concern for either humanising or dehumanising the enemy making it more about the marines inside the conflict, also there's less risk of upsetting censors with violence against tyranids as they aren't humanoid. Orks is somewhat the same but with too much humanness to slide past the censors the way tyranids would with more brutish comedy and at that a risk of farce. Chaos needs to be done very well indeed to avoid current boring horror cliches and its things like the horus heresy stories that does that. Oh and the other problem with chaos marines is that it robs the marines of much of the heroic-stature stuff to face against foes also in power armour with the same size and bulk and numbers and weapons.

No i think Tyranids and the battle of macragge would be ideal, the red behemoth colour working well with the blue of ultramarines on screen. And it could bypass any aliens and starship troopers comparisons without too much trouble as the marines in-your-face fighting style changes the paradigm of that sort of story. Failing that a more complicated story of conflict with Eldar or Tau could work though would take much of the focus from the marines themselves in a way tyranids would not.

Tyranids would also be good for a movie. What I meant with chaos good for movie is that its something we have seen before, yet different enough from most movie bad guys. Especially if its a mix between cultists and cmarines. You could make a very Cthulhu-inspired movie, or a movie thats more like the chronicles of Riddick, or a Star Wars one, or inspired by Dream Catcher. They are that diverse.

SultenUlv
30-03-2010, 08:49
They actually got actors now, doing the voices of the ultramarines... nothing about any other races, but still... there are some pretty cool names in there...

http://ultramarinesthemovieblog.com/blog/2010-03-09/vox-casting

Belakor
30-03-2010, 08:58
Old news unfortunately but still awesome acting cast. :)

Condottiere
30-03-2010, 09:11
What's the engraver for?

Messiah
30-03-2010, 12:07
What's the engraver for?

Engraving?

Lord_Of_Bats
30-03-2010, 15:59
Engraving?

I expect either Imperial Fists style houring the dead by scrimshawing their bones or maybe engraving prayers or honours into armour.

Absolutionis
01-04-2010, 18:24
They have concept art of the characters now:
http://ultramarinesthemovie.com/gallery/characters

They look slightly chubby in the concepts and really long-legged in the early render.

The armor is some weird hybrid between Mk3/4 chests and reduced Mk8 everywhere else.

Santar
01-04-2010, 20:25
Hmmm, my hopes just sank a little...
Not really liking those but in fairness it does say they are only concepts for colour and insignia purposes. I hope they aren't the final design for the lids though, they look a bit odd. I think it may be the lengthened snout.

Psyberian
01-04-2010, 20:29
Not really liking those but in fairness it does say they are only concepts for colour and insignia purposes. I hope they aren't the final design for the lids though, they look a bit odd. I think it may be the lengthened snout.

Yeah, they don't have the helmets quite right. Really the hardest thing to get right on all the GW models seem to be the space marine helmets. It's one of those things that should be easy, but everyone seems to get it slightly wrong when trying to do 3d imaging that isn't directly GW.

His Master's Voice
01-04-2010, 21:28

Don't worry, these are most probably what we call dirty renders, nothing like the final product, just a quick mash up to show basic proportioning and placement of stuff over the model.

In fact, they don't look like renders at all...

Ultimatium
01-04-2010, 23:10
Good stuff. I particularly like the purity seals.

Just enough raggedness without detracting from the intent.

mel_danes
02-04-2010, 07:54
Don't worry, these are most probably what we call dirty renders, nothing like the final product, just a quick mash up to show basic proportioning and placement of stuff over the model.

In fact, they don't look like renders at all...

Correct! These look like photoshop mock up's. Just for placement type stuff. The final models could look wonky, but these are not them.

Sephiroth
02-04-2010, 14:17
I'd argue some of the oddness to the figures is deliberate, as they seem to have attempted to reach a more equal middle ground between the GW artwork and making these suits of power armour look like it can fit on a human-shaped wearer.

BigBadBull
02-04-2010, 15:47
The helmets don't look correct.. and the head on front shots they all look like they have been hitting the Golden Corral All you can eat way to much... Their Thigh armor Is way to wide...

While the side shots and top down look ok?

Tokamak
02-04-2010, 17:29
As it reads, in rather big letters; "colour and insignia reference"

Messiah
04-04-2010, 17:18
The helmets don't look correct.. and the head on front shots they all look like they have been hitting the Golden Corral All you can eat way to much... Their Thigh armor Is way to wide...

While the side shots and top down look ok?

The helmets look wrong from the side too. E.g. the "beak" of the Mark VII armour should be shorter. But they are still at the concept stage, and as the above poster says, its no concept of the armour, just the insignias and colour.

kamedake88
05-04-2010, 15:31
I can't wait to see how pure s*** this movie will be.