PDA

View Full Version : the webway, what exactly is it and cna it still be built upon?

The Anarchist
04-10-2009, 14:18
ok so i know that the Webway is a pyscical demension within the warp, or through the warp rather; as evidenced by the dark eldar city within it. however what is it other than a solid refernce point within the warp, and one not subject to the power of the war like other physical areas within the warp such as the old eldar planets.

furthermore cna the Eldar expand upon and build more webway sections? i would assume so if the Emperor could do it, even if it might take the Eldar a differnt amount of time to do so.

grissom2006
04-10-2009, 15:54
They Eldar and the Webway are any of the following or none at all or a collection of them.

A. No longer able to create new sections of the Webway due to lost knowledge.
B. Unwilling to repair the Webway and just seal off the doorways to worlds they no longer wise connection to. This has been covered in one book and the seal an doorway appeared to be a psychic one.
C. The Emperor actually created a bridge into the Webway it's the reason the Golden Throne was created. But he didn't have the knowledge to recreate the lining to the Webway.
D. It's described as a maze and the only records of it's paths are said to be in the Black Library. But the Harlequins are said to know all the paths within the Webway.
E. It has a physical pressence whilest a person is within the Webway. But does it have one in the warp?? We haven't heard of ships crashing into sections of it after all.

The list could go on but we don't have a proper answer to it's nature or how it was built.

grissom2006
04-10-2009, 16:19
And it also came to a city long abandoned and the artwork has a very Eldar feel to it Lord Damocles. I did also say that it could be this not that it was. How would the Emperor know it was Eldar anyway not like they ever took him for a trip in it. So to anybody who doesn't know what the Webway was or looked like it would be Alien. Show me proof that it wasn't Eldar and you will have proven the point. But like me you can't proof your point and disprove what i posted, which i never claimed as a fact in the first place.

Every Single race that isn't human is alien just we would be alien to another race. Until you have a name to call a race by it would remain Alien to.

Lord Damocles
04-10-2009, 16:25
Bit late, I already deleted my post :D

I'd assumed that by lining you meant physical 'walls', but on re-reding your post it appears you meant the psychic shield bit which it is stated that the Emperor couldn't recreate without powering it himself, so I removed the post to avoid confusion.

The Emperor could always have talked to some Eldar and found out about the Webway. He does seem to imply he'd been there before 'jacking in' with the Imperial gateway.

grissom2006
04-10-2009, 16:38
I suspect he actually forced open a doorway to Terra that had been sealed as the Eldar are said to of been to Terra and found humans to be crude and violent. So they sealed it off so no human should of been able to get in. But the Emperor was some how able to sense the closed doorway and decided to find out what it was.

Idaan
04-10-2009, 16:43
Minor nitpick:
The Eldar are still capable of creating new tunnels and entrances, as shown by the construction of Storm Serpents, Wraithgates for Ulthwe Strike Forces and Portals of the DE. Also the expanded sections of Craftworlds and post-Fall constructed starships have their own Gates.
They just don't have the time or resources to rebuild and re-map the Webway as a whole, so the greatest tunnels have collapsed.
Actually, that's not a minor nitpick.

Lord Damocles
04-10-2009, 16:48
I suspect he actually forced open a doorway to Terra that had been sealed as the Eldar are said to of been to Terra and found humans to be crude and violent. So they sealed it off so no human should of been able to get in. But the Emperor was some how able to sense the closed doorway and decided to find out what it was.
The way I read it was that the Emperor found out about the webway (presumeably from the Eldar- ('How I came to know of this lattice need not concern us now. Suffice to say, I did learn of it and having done so resolved to create my own means of egress' (Collected Visions, pg.324)), and then built his palace in a specific location which would allow him to access it.
Given that the text implies that the gateway was actually made by the Emperor ('The warpgate I have constructed and the short section of passage beyond...' pg.324), and the artwork looks nothing like what we've come to expect an Eldar portal to look like (The entire construct was fabricated of metal, gold in colour, and gigantic mechanised doors of the same golden metal blocked the portal shut (pg.322) - it looks like a dodgy giant Stargate (pg.350-1)), I assume that he built his gateway, and then had to construct a (relatively) short section of human-webway to intersect with part of the Eldar webway which passes nearby (The warpgate in the Imperial Dungeon led to a short section of human-built warp-tunnel. Beyond this lay the vast interlocking maze of tunnels, passageways and conduits that was the alien webway (pg.326)).

grissom2006
04-10-2009, 16:55
Minor nitpick:
The Eldar are still capable of creating new tunnels and entrances, as shown by the construction of Storm Serpents, Wraithgates for Ulthwe Strike Forces and Portals of the DE. Also the expanded sections of Craftworlds and post-Fall constructed starships have their own Gates.
They just don't have the time or resources to rebuild and re-map the Webway as a whole, so the greatest tunnels have collapsed.
Actually, that's not a minor nitpick.

Hardly a nitpick when i said unwilling so i by saying that as good as say they can they just choose not to.:D

If i put every reference down and theory on the Webway i have and the ones i know of i'd be on all night typing it out. Even then i wouldn't claim a single part of it to be 100% fact or untrue.

Mike3791
05-10-2009, 16:14
Where is the source background of the Emperor hacking into the eldar webway? Is it in one of the HH books?

Lord Damocles
05-10-2009, 16:16
Horus heresy: Collected Visions / Volume IV: Visions of Death

Mike3791
05-10-2009, 16:45
Ah, thank you

Xisor
05-10-2009, 16:52
Where is the source background of the Emperor hacking into the eldar webway? Is it in one of the HH books?

Lord Damocles is quite correct. Not only was the Emperor making progress in getting into the Webway, it seems to be the very reason he retired from the Great Crusade and potentially the original purpose of the Golden Throne (a webway gate/psy-amplifier/webway maker/whatever), it was at least 'to do' with the Webway before it was a superb life support thing.

I hope they make a few novels about it. The 'Beyond the Golden Throne' section is pretty compelling, one of the much better bits of the entire volume. Plus the artwork is pretty swish too.

Mike3791
05-10-2009, 19:13
Lord Damocles is quite correct. Not only was the Emperor making progress in getting into the Webway, it seems to be the very reason he retired from the Great Crusade and potentially the original purpose of the Golden Throne (a webway gate/psy-amplifier/webway maker/whatever), it was at least 'to do' with the Webway before it was a superb life support thing.

I hope they make a few novels about it. The 'Beyond the Golden Throne' section is pretty compelling, one of the much better bits of the entire volume. Plus the artwork is pretty swish too.

Does it include the daemonic invasion of the imperial palace, that occured when Magus tried to psychically warn the Emperor of Horus' betrayal?

Does it also include farseer Eldrad talking to the Emperor and Fulgrim?(respectively)

grissom2006
05-10-2009, 19:16
Does it include the daemonic invasion of the imperial palace, that occured when Magus tried to psychically warn the Emperor of Horus' betrayal?

We do have a battle going on beneath the palace against daemons the Custodes and the Sisters of Silence fight in it.

Does it also include farseer Eldrad talking to the Emperor and Fulgrim?(respectively)

Eldrad doesn't get a mention.

piddlinggaley
25-10-2009, 06:24
The big E, made his own little service road in to the WW and thats what started to colapse after Magnus's warning.