PDA

View Full Version : Terminator base size question

Astraeos
05-10-2009, 01:33
Hey

Recently I bought the Space Wolf Rune Priest in Terminator armour in anticipation of getting the Wolves codex for my birthday, and when the priest arrived it came with both a 25 mm round base and a 40 mm round base.

As I intend to base some plastic wolves on 40 mm bases to represent Fenrisian wolves I planned to base the Rune Priest on the 25 mm base and keep the 40 mm aside for a wolf. But these days all Terminators are seen on 40 mm bases, so is it still acceptable to have any on 25 mm bases or is there some unwritten rule/generally accepted fact that says anything in Terminator armour should be on a 40 mm base?

trigger
05-10-2009, 01:35
Terminators should be on a 40mm base , itis some wear that models can not be based on a smaller base than provided ... the termonator boxs provide 40mm.

Sorry

Lothlanathorian
05-10-2009, 01:44
Models are to be based on the bases they are supplied with, unless you feel like putting them on something larger.

In your case, that is a bit confusing since it came with two bases lolol. Terminators are all on the 40mm base now so that is the one your Runepriest must be on.

starlight
05-10-2009, 02:00
There is no *must*. :rolleyes:

Terminators were supplied for many, *many* years on 25mm bases and apparently still are. If you want them to match your existing 25mm base Terminators, do so, if you want them to match your 40mm bases, do that too. Just don't mix them in one army. :p

Mannimarco
05-10-2009, 02:03
really? all my chaos termies came with 40mm bases, i guess 25mm would reduce vulnerability to blasts a bit

The Orange
05-10-2009, 02:12
The newer terminators come on 40mm bases because they need the extra space to stand on, the older terminators were somewhat smaller and barely fit on the 25mm base (with very static poses). Don't remember what the 5th edition rule book says about it but putting all your termi's on 40mm bases will probably save you the headache of dealing with some of the more strict players out there. Personally though I don't care as long as the base fits the model.

Ozybonza
05-10-2009, 02:15
The rule is "the base it was supplied with"

NOT "the base the latest version of the model is supplied with".

Therefore, do what you like!!!

Lothlanathorian
05-10-2009, 02:26
All pg. 3 of the BRB says is to make sure that, if not based on the base it comes with, make sure that is okay with your opponent. Since it came with 2 bases and all Terminators now come with 40mm bases, I would strongly recommend that you use that base, though there is no absolute saying you must.

pigmonger
05-10-2009, 02:55
If you put it on a 40mm, nobody will complain. If you put it on a 25mm, people will complain.

Templar Ben
05-10-2009, 03:14
If you put it on a 40mm, nobody will complain. If you put it on a 25mm, people will complain.

Generally that will hold true. Since this is not a case of old model that you have that you don't want to rebase, there is no reason to base it on a 25mm. But keep in mind that we are just random people on the internet and you have to remember that you will not be playing against us.

Why don't you ask the people you plan to play against? If they say 40mm and you do 25mm you may find people not wanting to play against you but if they don't care either way then do whatever you want.

Sunyavadin
05-10-2009, 03:54
Basically, if someone makes a big deal about it, they're probably not someone you want to be playing against in the first place.

Templar Ben
05-10-2009, 04:40
Basically, if someone makes a big deal about it, they're probably not someone you want to be playing against in the first place.

Yeah just like if they make a big deal about you measuring before you decide to move or shoot they are probably not someone you want to be playing against. :rolleyes:

MIGHTYPanhead
05-10-2009, 04:51
Yeah just like if they make a big deal about you measuring before you decide to move or shoot they are probably not someone you want to be playing against. :rolleyes:

If this is the space wolf runepriest I'm thinking of, he's come supplied with a 25mm base since.. forever

using the base intended for the model is not the same as blatantly cheating...

I use my metal terminators on 25mm bases all the time, and I get more "THOSE are terminators?" (every game) than "rebase these or I'm not playing against you"s (never)

if anything the model just looks better on a 25mm

Alessander
05-10-2009, 05:14
look at the GD tourney game photos from the past few years since termies went 50mm, you see a few older termies on 25 mm bases and a more than a couple older rhinos with the older footprints. there's no requirement since they are on the bases they came with. You can also play with the old 25mm "mini" Avatar too, the only requirement is that they are all Citadel and on the bases they came with.

All my Termies are from the original space hulk (1st edition) and I still use them to play SH since I gave them scenic bases.

DONT FORGET THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE!

AndrewGPaul
05-10-2009, 09:21

What "advantage" does it give having your Terminators on smaller bases? They gain no advantage in shooting, since range is measured to the base edge, there's no advantage in cover since you're using true LOS. The only differences are:

Some models might end up 15mm out of range if the Terminator is entirely surrounded by enemies shooting at him. Unlikely.

You might get one less model in range for melee. I can't be bothered with the maths - does anyone know how many 25mm bases you can get within 2" of a) a 25mm base and b) a 40mm base?

Personally, I'd put the Rune Priest on the 25mm base, since he has a tab not a peg.

marv335
05-10-2009, 10:10
you get an assault range bonus when disembarking from vehicles, and you take less hits from blast weapons.

AndrewGPaul
05-10-2009, 11:22
How so? If anything, you'll take more hits from blast templates if you're on small bases.

As to disembarking, don't you place disembarking models within 2" of the vehicle? There's no way to get a "bonus" 15mm charge distance if that is the case.

Sir_Turalyon
05-10-2009, 11:40
Unless GW supplied you a 40mm slottabase, you need to glue priest on 25 mm base first anyway, as it fit the mini. Then you may glue it on top of 40 mm one... or not.

Personally I am going to get all my RT-2nd ed/ Space Hulk Terminators on magnetized 40mm bases, when I find enough cheap bases to do it. In meantime, I use them as supplied.

AndrewGPaul
05-10-2009, 11:45
Urgh. What an ugly kludge. It's easier to just cut the tab off and glue him directly to a 40mm base.

I'll be leaving mine on a 25mm base, as the mini is a little too small to look good on a 40mm base. However, I rebased the Terminator Captain model, even tough that came with a 25mm base, onto a 40mm, since the pose is sufficiently bandy-legged to look OK.

LonelyPath
05-10-2009, 20:12
I would base it on the 25mm and carry the 40mm and a bit of blutac with you, if someone complains, just blutac the larger base to the bottom, end of problem ;) Most people won't bat an eye at termies on 25mm bases though seeing how they were based on them until 3rd edition.

Cornishman
05-10-2009, 20:42
Given that the model is and old, old model (and thus noticeably smaller than any of the new style models) you can quite legitimately base it on the 25mm base the model was initially designed for, and provided with, as seen on the GW webstore.

If you are intending on using it in any tournaments then I’d go for 40mm; A lot of tournaments have houserules to the effect that any model must be based on the bases currently supplied with the latest equivalent models, which would be 40mm for anything in terminator armour.

If you are intending to mix the model with other terminators I'd go for which ever bases the rest of the termies are on (personal taste), so this would be either 40mm of the latest plastic based models or 25mm for the older metal terminators/wolfguard.

don_mondo
06-10-2009, 12:19
really? all my chaos termies came with 40mm bases, i guess 25mm would reduce vulnerability to blasts a bit

Actually, when you're deep striking it increases your vulnerability to blasts............

How so? If anything, you'll take more hits from blast templates if you're on small bases.

As to disembarking, don't you place disembarking models within 2" of the vehicle? There's no way to get a "bonus" 15mm charge distance if that is the case.

Bear in mind that only the back edge of the base needs to be within 2" of the access port. So larger bases give you a bit more distance when disembarking.

Vaktathi
06-10-2009, 12:57
Hey

Recently I bought the Space Wolf Rune Priest in Terminator armour in anticipation of getting the Wolves codex for my birthday, and when the priest arrived it came with both a 25 mm round base and a 40 mm round base.

As I intend to base some plastic wolves on 40 mm bases to represent Fenrisian wolves I planned to base the Rune Priest on the 25 mm base and keep the 40 mm aside for a wolf. But these days all Terminators are seen on 40 mm bases, so is it still acceptable to have any on 25 mm bases or is there some unwritten rule/generally accepted fact that says anything in Terminator armour should be on a 40 mm base?

As it comes with both, you can base it on either one and it is still perfectly legal. You can mount it on the 25mm if you want, anyone complaining really doesn't have a leg to stand on here, it comes with both, and thus is legal to mount on either, there is no rule written anywhere that they must be mounted on the 40mm base, only their own mental expectations.

That said, I'd mount it on the 40mm to get that extra bit of movement distance.

Astraeos
07-10-2009, 00:43
Whoa, I've started one of those topics!

Sounds like I have a legitimate reason to mount him on the 25mm, but the safer option to avoid arguments (and to use him in tournaments should I ever choose to) would be to put him on the 40mm.

It might help him look a bit bigger, I had Ragnar in the same order and he's actually taller than the Terminator Rune Priest!