PDA

View Full Version : Which codex has the coolest characters?

Blitz001
05-10-2009, 02:45
In your opinion which codex has the coolest characters?

Please i dont want any flaming or calgar could kick his butt blah blah blah. Anyone who wants to do that just shut your computer down now.

Vote in the poll then tell us which character in the codex and why.

I think the space wolf codex has some of the coolest characters. Lukas the Trickster defently ranks the highest for me. him sharing a dozen beds in one night, that is just priceless, and the statis bomb for the person that finally defeats him lol, awsume.

Sorry for placing the crons and tau in one poll they didnt have much characters at all and there can only be 10 poll spots, also sorry to the nid lovers i was basing it off of current codices and at the moment they do not have any characters which is why i left them out (i also didnt have any room) :( sorry.

The reason the Space wolves and the Space marines are in 2 different sections is because they came out with the new book and i knew a ton of people would love thoes characters (myself included).

So there are your reasons now stop whining about it, or get reported i dont want whining on my thread ive already asked twice now. I'd also like to thank JagdWehrwolf for apologizing.

One last thing im going to ask for the thread to be locked tomarrow. I'm going to put up a similar thread after the next codex (nids if they have characters if not ill wait for the next codex).

aka GET MORE PEOPLE TO VOTE!!!!! (doet)

Imperius
05-10-2009, 02:47
Well, I like Imperial Guard, simply because the amount of special characters can never be defined and is always editted and added to.

Who listens to me though?

redbaron998
05-10-2009, 02:51
Space Marines:

Lysander and Shrike particularly.

TheEndIsHere
05-10-2009, 02:53
This is retarded, DE got their own, SW and SM are seperate but tau and crons together?

Retarded.

MrInsomniac
05-10-2009, 02:55
Space Wolves. The background for Lukas is some of the best I've read, had me laughing for ages, whilst Logan Grimnar's rules are just beastly.

Edit: Hadn't noticed the poll. That is a bit of a bizarre designation of armies.

Edonil
05-10-2009, 02:55
I'm going to be a rebel and say Inquisition. Ruleswise, they aren't terribly impressive, no, but the background material for say, Celestine, or Coteaz, are just very well done. Before the days of everyone's characters can take out entire armies by sneezing (looking at you, Smurfs and Wolves), you had the understated elegance that was Celestine with her amazing leadership, Kazmarov's hunting down the impure, even Brother Captain Stern with his continuous duel with a specific Greater Daemon of Tzeentch.

Arakanis
05-10-2009, 02:58
This is retarded, DE got their own, SW and SM are seperate but tau and crons together?

Retarded.

The OP knows something you don't. ;)

The Orange
05-10-2009, 03:00
Nothing beats Space Pope with his hover scooter and bodyguards Hanz and Franz :D.

Culgore
05-10-2009, 03:59
Typhus model, MADE me play Deathguard. Despite the weak rules, still the baddest assed.

Imperius
05-10-2009, 04:05
Nothing beats Space Pope with his hover scooter and bodyguards Hanz and Franz :D.

Popemo-scooter?

Absolutionis
05-10-2009, 04:06
Why are Necrons and Tau in one choice? Tau has characters and Necrons really don't. Why are Tyranids not on here?

Threeshades
05-10-2009, 04:08
Why are Necrons and Tau in one choice? Tau has characters and Necrons really don't. Why are Tyranids not on here?

Necs have C'tan. Tyranids don't have any special characters or anything like that in their codex.

I can't understand why everyone voted for Space Puppies. The Orks have all the cool guys!

Mad Dok Grotsnik. Need I say more?

Reflex
05-10-2009, 04:15
basically if its a new codex it has a cooler character in it then the old ones, generally because they put more effort and detail into these new codex books.

jason_sation
05-10-2009, 04:18
I like Creed simply because of the Tactical Genius meme. Actually though, for me it is Col. Schaeffer of the IG.

Hicks
05-10-2009, 05:03
Guards steal #1. Then it's Chaos marines and then BA I'd say.

Bunnahabhain
05-10-2009, 07:36
I'm going to be a rebel and say Inquisition. Ruleswise, they aren't terribly impressive, no, but the background material for say, Celestine, or Coteaz, are just very well done. Before the days of everyone's characters can take out entire armies by sneezing (looking at you, Smurfs and Wolves), you had the understated elegance that was Celestine with her amazing leadership, Kazmarov's hunting down the impure, even Brother Captain Stern with his continuous duel with a specific Greater Daemon of Tzeentch.

I agree with this.

If they're not overblown marines generally outclassing anything they face, regardless of older background, then they're Guardsmen tattooing the names of all of their fallen squad members onto their body...

Understated elegance is a good description indeed for the Inq ones.

TrojanWolf
05-10-2009, 09:02
Orks. Not only are the characters very Orky, they've also got all their interesting quirks. My personal favourite is Boss Snikrot, the massive Ork who can sneak into an Imperial barracks and kill the occupants in their sleep.

Mojaco
05-10-2009, 09:26
Orks. Very funny and each has a different aspect of orkiness over him. A special mekboy seems to missing though...

Second is IG for me, as I couldn't believe my luck when Straken's rules became known. He was perfect for my themed army, just perfect. I never expected such a HtH monster but I got one.

Radium
05-10-2009, 09:26
Eldar. I like my psychic fase, thank you very much.

Nicha11
05-10-2009, 09:45
Inquisition hands down.

The very awesomness of a living saint, Torquemada has a bad-ass model,
Brother captain stern is your generic hero, but not in a bad way.
And my favourite special character Inquisiter Lord Karamazov, he's rutheless and provides 40k with one of its better lines.

"There is no such thing as a plea of innnocence in my court.
A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty"

archie-d
05-10-2009, 09:50
what a surprise, the codex released two days ago is in the lead

Ravensgard
05-10-2009, 10:16
Logan Grimnar of the space wolves and Bjorn the fell-handed (he knew Russ ! !! )
Next in line i would go for the C'tan of the Necrons and maybe some Tau characters

Sir_Turalyon
05-10-2009, 11:58
If you ask about characters having interesting to read background as opposed to "ah look he's so awsome", it's Orks at the moment (Badurrk, Grotsnik, all incernations of Gakzkull and Wazdakka). Imperial Guard Codex would beat that if it still had Sheffer as more then passing note. Chaos Marines codex would beat everything if it still had Cypher.

Vaktathi
05-10-2009, 12:09
I used to be a fan some of the SM characters, and then the current SM codex came out and it all read like a bad internet fanfic and kinda killed it.

Chaos has some cool characters, but they feel sorta isolated in the CSM book and kinda out of place.

IG has one totally awesome character. Yarrick. The other SC's are all subject to some of the same treatment as the SM characters (comically overdone) and disposable, but Yarrick is always just so boss, so old and angry. He's like Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino, and I don't think I can think of a more frightening person.

The tau characters are "meh". The Eldar ones are your typical Elf thing, nothing too great there. Space Wolves are...comic relief practically and beyond even the SM codex standard for overblown fanfiction writing and are just terrible. I can't even recall any WH/DH characters except Celestine so that should tell you something (that, and I'm not into the whole churchy thing). DE characters are all pretty much just slightly more of whatever HQ unit they were made from, nothing too exciting, although Vect is pretty unique. Not a fan of Daemons in general, so their characters don't do it for me. DA/BA characters are ok, better than the SM/SW ones, but not really a huge fan of them. And I can't even think of anything for the BT's, so theres that.

As for Orks, they are the one army where the whole overblown ridiculous writing style actually fits, and they have some silly and awesome characters. Yarrick aside, I think the Orks have it when it comes to awesome characters.

BlastmasterJ
05-10-2009, 12:10
Orks'es is da best!
i mean come on, Boss Zagstruk emerged from his cocoon only to find his ork tribe had moved on and was surrounded by humies. As a new born yoof he proceeded to murder his way out of the camp and find his old tribe. Also, rumor has it he has made a kill every day of his life since birth....awwwww yyeeaaaahhhh

Poseidal
05-10-2009, 13:43
Not in terms or rules (which change with the flow of each army book) but the feel that was given.

Eldar, easily.

It has the Phoenix Lords, who are the embodiment of perusing their art to the extreme, almost incarnations of what it means to be a warrior. They follow their path with dedication like that of Mas Oyama, those one in a generation people... but since they are immortal after a fashion, their art lives on. There's also the drama between them with Ahrha the traitor, and the destruction of the Temple of Asur.

Then on the other side, we have the much younger Yriel. The Pirate Admiral with a cursed spear and a bomb for an eye; also one of the earliest special characters around (he was around before all of the codices, someone similar in stature is Pedro Kantor). This guy is royalty, and shows the impulsiveness or strong emotion of the Eldar race, with his leaving Iyanden and becoming a pirate prince after his friend Kelmon reprimanded him and stripped him of his position of admiral.

Eldrad, of course though I prefer most the other characters to him.

Tooooon
05-10-2009, 13:47
Tyranids don't have any special characters or anything like that in their codex.
Technically true atm, but you can't forget good ole One Eye and the Red Terror. Heck, if you forgot them they would probably munch/stamp you!

LordLucan
05-10-2009, 14:29
The DE codex has Asbruael Vect in it. Thus it has to be that codex. :)

tu33y
05-10-2009, 14:45
space wolves av da best characterz! lol!!!

if you're twelve....

Col. Frost
05-10-2009, 14:57
It comes down to two books for me, first i have to pick the IG codex, normal guys doing stuff Arnie, Sly and Chuck could only aspire too.

The award for 'Mad-as-a-bag-of-hamsters' characters goes deservingly to da Ork's.

tu33y
05-10-2009, 15:04
The DE codex has Asbruael Vect in it. Thus it has to be that codex. :)

the award for the most massive massive massive massive massive massive massive bas**** in the whole of 40k goes too.... mr vect!

MistaGav
05-10-2009, 15:18
I liked the Red Terror in the Tyranid 3rd ed Codex. The model was awesome, the fluff too being that he can just eat anyone in one big gulp...lovely!

m00ndust
05-10-2009, 15:22
As far as "coolest" characters, I'm down with Chaos Marines, Dark Eldars close second.

Chaos: Abbadon, Fabius Bile, Typhus, Kharn
Dark Eldar: Asdrubael Vect, Drazhar
Space Marines: Dante, Lysander, Cypher (yes he's branded Traitor but I still think he's loyal to the emperor...)
Eldar: Karandras
Imperial Guard: Yarrick
Inquisition: Kryptman (not a mini but cool enough to inspire me to play "ordo xenos" with a tyranid version of a Daemonhost... [genestealer cult ?])
Tau: the Stealth Suit girl...

laudarkul
05-10-2009, 15:25
Imperial Guard, followed by CSM and SM codexes.

The Guy
05-10-2009, 15:59
Orks, Mad dok grotsnik is the best special character ever. They are comical yet still slightly disturbing, suits my sense of humour perfectly :D

I haven't read the SW codex yet, but I read a bit of the background for that joke guy, and thought :wtf:

Second place is split between IG and Inquistion, IG mainly for Yarrick and Straken [except the whole 'dragging a guy across a continent bit'], who are really the characterful embodiment of the guard IMO, tough, skilled, but human.

Inquistion for, as said before, the modesty and the more 'behind the scenes' feel they inspire.

loveless
05-10-2009, 16:05
It was a tough call. I love Celestine and Karamazov. Vulkan He'stan has a fun bit of background and lets me enjoy the flamey-melty death that I do so love administering. Chaos has some fun with Lucius and Typhus, but their general crunchiness put me off them. Daemons have some interesting back stories, but I'm a Slaanesh fan and the Masque just isn't interesting enough.

Regardless of all of this, I went with Space Wolves. (Yeah, yeah, call me a bandwagon jumper, I don't care).

They cover all the bases - the wise sage, the great leader, the rebellious youth, the headstrong youth, the strong man, the elementalist mage, the beast tamer...it's like some crazed RPG, and it all works quite well together.

senso
05-10-2009, 16:12
I gotta say Daemons have some cool special charaacters. The fact that skull taker, a man sized model, can chop the head off a wrath lord is pretty bad ass.

BaronDG
05-10-2009, 16:27
I think the trixter Lukas is a nice tribute to old norse myth, but the fluff and the model for St Celestine made me vote for the Inquisition!

Lord Damocles
05-10-2009, 16:27
I voted Necrons / Tau just for the sheer hilarity of it.

:eyebrows:

O'Henry
05-10-2009, 18:16
IG by far

My personal favourite fluffwise is sergeant bastonne (or however his name is spelled) although most people I know like 'iron hand' straken or Commisar Yarrick.
I think it may be the fact that they are normal humans and not power armoured space marines.

PapaDoc
05-10-2009, 18:32
It is a tie between Cypher, Khârn and drumroll..... NORK DEDDOG!!

Cypher because he was ... well nobody knows that really. And khârn has the best fanmade fluff ever but Nork has one of the best peices of Gw-written codex character fluff. If they could only skipped the part "Saved the lives of over ahundred officers" Nork would have been my no 1 choice.

Bikeninja
05-10-2009, 18:38
As much as I love my Space Wolves and think they Rock, I have to go with the Orks on this one. They are such flavorful army. MY absolute favorite character of all time though, Bjorn the Fell Handed. Way to awesome.

Giganthrax
05-10-2009, 19:00
Space Marines, by far.

Mephiston, Calgar, Vulkan, Cassius, Sammael, Dante, Tycho, Lukas the Trickster, Ragnar, etc. all come to mind. ;)

Inquisitor_Tolheim
05-10-2009, 19:07
My vote goes with the Guard, although Cypher is cool just because he is so **mysterious**.

The guard characters really run the gamut of play style, from "I am a brilliant commander who is just a puny human" to "I win fistfights with space marines". It allows a narrative flexibility for your army, which can be based around more "realistic" forces (Cadian Style Special Characters) or more "film-thematic" style armies (Catachans). To top it off each character adds a unique flavor to the play style of the army without completely reshuffling the entire list (the way SM heroes tend to). An army lead by Straken will still play like a guard army, but with an extra close combat punch. An army lead by Creed is still a guard army, but with an additional emphasis on clever use of orders.

carldooley
05-10-2009, 19:15
favorite books would go to Commissar Ciaphas Cain. Coolest on board effects - Commander Farsight - for making gunlines possible in fifth (Ld10 firewarriors anyone?)

coolest character (IMHO), for background fluff in codex - Creed

Ghost of Trigger
05-10-2009, 19:35
When I first cracked open the new IG codex, band of brothers was on. I was flipping pages and watching Winters and the boys grumble around in the Ardens forest. Carwood Lipton starts narrating about how Spiers is total badass psycho and even though Ive seen the series all the way through dozens of times and read the book I always make sure to watch Speirs run through that town to hook up with I company and THEN RUN BACK. I flip the page and what looks back at me? Sergeant Bastonne.

Good job GW, base a character off a historical figure which people always think is fictional

IcedAnimals
05-10-2009, 20:22
ugh, i HATE every space wolf character. "Wolfy mcwolferton riding his wolf into battle with his wolfen space wolf brethren wielding wolf claws at the time of the wolf time....wolf...

And lukas the trickster? "im a bad boy from the wrong side of the tracks, they want to promote me but im just such a bad boy that I steal thunderhawks and crash them while banging shield maidens and drinking tons of alchohol" sorry but nothing about "idiot frat boy" sounds like a cool character to me.

i would like to see this thread after all the retarded space wolf hype as died down.

noobzilla
05-10-2009, 20:33
I'm pretty much an IG FANBOI, (not really, they are my only really true army) and I'm going to have to vote for them, their characters are just absolute win. Marbo is awesome, along with some of the other guys like Harker.

MrInsomniac
05-10-2009, 23:11
ugh, i HATE every space wolf character. "Wolfy mcwolferton riding his wolf into battle with his wolfen space wolf brethren wielding wolf claws at the time of the wolf time....wolf...

And lukas the trickster? "im a bad boy from the wrong side of the tracks, they want to promote me but im just such a bad boy that I steal thunderhawks and crash them while banging shield maidens and drinking tons of alchohol" sorry but nothing about "idiot frat boy" sounds like a cool character to me.

i would like to see this thread after all the retarded space wolf hype as died down.

:rolleyes:

Let's look at the special characters:

Ragnar Blackmane
Lukas the Trickster
Ulrik the Slayer
Canis Wolfborn
Logan Grimnar
Bjorn the Fell Handed
Arjac Rockfist
Njal Stormcaller

There's ONE character with wolf in his name (unless you count 'The Great Wolf' as part of Logan's name. I wish people would stop blowing the whole 'wolf' thing out of all proportion.

As for Lukas, who couldn't love a guy who locks an Inquisitorial genotax delgation in a pen of Grox whilst they were in season!? He's some much needed light relief when Space Marine characters are all too often 'Grimdark'.

Ghost of Trigger
05-10-2009, 23:13
Marbo is awesome.

I like Big Boss as well

Harker

Animal Mother is nice too

:p

djinn8
05-10-2009, 23:56
Tau for me, even though I don't perticularly like them. Just that fact that they have a grumpy old man with a magic walking stick which he used to poke his minders with puts a smile on my face. I also love the description for the stick. Something to the effect of it containing unimaginable power. In game effect, +1 toughness. Powerful indeed.

12345_7
06-10-2009, 00:10
I think Space Wolves because they seem so vibrant and different from one another. They each have something special about them that makes them amazing, which is why I voted for them.

Dexter099
06-10-2009, 01:14
DE, because Decapitator is so cool even though he's not that good. Not to mention that all the rest of the DE special characters are cool. But I doubt that DE will be getting many votes due to the fact that nobody reads their codex.

JagdWehrwolf
06-10-2009, 01:56
... other guys like Harker.

Are You kidding?!?!?! Putting that guy as a Catachan is a disgrace. "I`m so tough that I eat spaghetti made of boiled chains and s**t razors. I can benchpress a Leman Russ." He`s probably the worst thing in the whole codex... Wait, hold that. I forgot about the Rough Rider dude, what`s-his-face... <skimming through book>...Mogul Kamir. Sgt. Bastonne would be cool if not the tattooing thingy. And I forgot about my other favourite, KK Pask, which is such a good threadhead that he once defeated a Titan Legion using only his nephew`s RC tank. :rolleyes: Sheesh... Who the writes that stuff? But overall IG takes the cookie because of one (fine, two... Straken is also cool) man, Commisar Sebastian Yarrick, period.

Also, I haven`t read C:SW but Loki (I refuse to call him otherwise) seems like a good idea, among the whole beastiality.

TrojanWolf
06-10-2009, 01:58
DE, because Decapitator is so cool even though he's not that good. Not to mention that all the rest of the DE special characters are cool. But I doubt that DE will be getting many votes due to the fact that nobody reads their codex.
I play DE, but I voted Orks because of the difference in fluff. I'd be interested to see the difference in this thread when the DE finally do get a new codex.

Vaktathi
06-10-2009, 02:03
:rolleyes:

Let's look at the special characters:

Ragnar Blackmane
Lukas the Trickster
Ulrik the Slayer
Canis Wolfborn
Logan Grimnar
Bjorn the Fell Handed
Arjac Rockfist
Njal Stormcaller

There's ONE character with wolf in his name (unless you count 'The Great Wolf' as part of Logan's name. I wish people would stop blowing the whole 'wolf' thing out of all proportion. Oh but how he does make up for it

Canis Wolfborne, Lord of the Wolfkin, wielding Wolfclaws, wearing his Wolftooth Necklace and Wolf tail talisman, bearing the saga of the Wolfkin, while riding his Wolf...

They go overboard with the motif, not necessarily just with the word "wolf", but with the theme in general, like War Howl, pelts, wolf helm, etc. In the wargear & special rules naming conventions, etc.

As for Lukas, who couldn't love a guy who locks an Inquisitorial genotax delgation in a pen of Grox whilst they were in season!? He's some much needed light relief when Space Marine characters are all too often 'Grimdark'.It's a bit much, especially when had it not been for a codex Special Character the Inquisition would have come right back and terminated him in an extremely unpleasant manner.

Blitz001
06-10-2009, 02:10
I already asked in the original post and im asking again here. I do not want to see anymore flaming or putting down of others opions (jagdwehrwolf im looking at you) or im going to start reporting people. I honesty just wanted to see what other people think of the characters nothing more nothing less.

Thanks to all who are respecting the no flaming rule.

JagdWehrwolf
06-10-2009, 02:37
I sincerely apologise. Whatever I wrote wasn`t meant to cause a personal offence. And I promise improvement or failing that I`m gonna try to shut up in advance.

Ghost of Trigger
06-10-2009, 03:15
I sincerely apologise. Whatever I wrote wasn`t meant to cause a personal offence. And I promise improvement or failing that I`m gonna try to shut up in advance.

One thing to keep in mind in the future is that alot of current characters have very tame backgrounds compared to older ones.

I mean look at Gaunt. He used to have rules which in no way did his multi-novel character justice

Col. Tartleton
06-10-2009, 04:34
Guard win. Their characters are what special characters are all about:

Epic Win.

They aren't realistic. They aren't believable. They're special characters.

The Guard has soldiers in the quadrillions and they have had quadrillions of soldiers fighting and dying for ten thousand years. They picked like a dozen or so for the book... These are going to be some pretty frakking elite guys. As such their stats are too good for humans in some cases. Well guess what, if you can genetically engineer a marine to be uber, odds are one in a trillion men might just happen to be that tough thanks to a bit of luck.

Col. Straken may just be too tough to believe, but he's a living legend among people who we would look to as living legends. Rambo is just another Catachan soldier. Of course you need a superhero to be a legend among that race of men. Straken is a cyborg who's hammerfisted his way through a thousand men with all the curtesy of "hulk smash" and a shotgun that may as well be named Shriver.

Sly Marbo is as fast and stealthy as an Eldar Pathfinder and no mortal can best him. Good chance he's probably a psyker (how else could he be so good?), and he's definitely insane.

Nobody can mess with Gunny Harker. The man chews glass (although I dip grizzly and that has glass in it...) and has killed every type of alien you've ever heard of. Of course he did, he's a marine ain't he?

Creed commands the respect and dignity of Eisenhower and the raw talent of men like Patton with a bit of ol' Churchill for colour. He's a rooting tooting military man and his gunfighter hands and his napoleonic brilliance make him something special. Not to mention his body guard is up there with the best soldiers in the galaxy.

The group is rounded out with a sheik reminiscent of lawrence of Arabia, and a commissar who's fought two wars in hell and has come out blood soaked but grimly victorious. He is both a man of great respect and a madman captain Ahab would see as a kindred spirit, and his whale has a name...
Yarrick could only possibly be bettered if his name was Sebastian Ishmael Yarrick. (If you read the horridly romantic book Snow Falling On Cedars you'll see what I mean.)

We also can't forget Macarius, Guant, Deddog, Bastonne and the rest, nor the nameless billions who will die today...

noobzilla
06-10-2009, 05:09
Are You kidding?!?!?!

In short, no.

Harker is cool, he may not be the best, but he is cool. And that's all that matters.

I've said it before, if I had the time, I would convert a squad of veterans in my army and always play them to be "The Inglourious Basterds" and the Harker model would be that crazed ex-Nazi who carries an MG-42 and all of that ammo around. Rules wise, he would count as a HW team, a heavy bolter and I would mount one of the other Basterds on the base. "Hey I ain't carrying that s*** around, *looks around* YOU! random squad member, carry my ammo. I probably wouldn't use the Harker rules, but I WOULD use Bastonne and make a sweet "Lt. Aldo Raine." The Bear Jew would be a guy with a CCW and Pistol, but the CCW would be a bat. And the rest of the guys would have sawed off lasguns with silencers. :)

The model of the character is absolute win. Therefore he is cool. He then fits in my vote for "Coolest Characters" not "Which character is the most powerful." My vote for most powerful characters still goes to IG because of Marbo, Creed, Yarrick and other assorted guys like Pask.

Ghost of Trigger
06-10-2009, 05:23
And the rest of the guys would have sawed off lasguns with silencers. :)

ffff pppp bluh bluh bluh

Firearm answer: Its a suppressor, not a silencer. Silencer implies that it makes it totally silent which it doesnt. It just suppresses the sound.

40k answer: Suppressing a lasgun would do dick because since it doesnt use a chemical propelled projectile there would be no gases to contain and suppress. Lasguns also are pretty darn quiet anyway. Also sawing one off would probably increase the chance of a malfunction as it would remove the emitter tip and compromise the barrel.

What would make sense for the characters is to give them "autoguns". Yes there are solid slug projectiles in 40k and they are used often by all kinds of groups especially Arbites and PDF. Within the whole of the Imperium I'm sure there is a pattern of autogun that uses stamped metal and is chambered in 9mm and looks alot like the MP40.

/end grumbles

noobzilla
06-10-2009, 05:43
Oh come on, let me have my fun! :P

Ghost of Trigger
06-10-2009, 05:52
Oh come on, let me have my fun! :P

Bro-tip: Use Krieg models as your basis.

Also the Vraksian Renegade heavy stubber team has a Heavy Stubber that looks EXACTLY like an MG42.

You can get shotguns in the FW Cadian vetern kit and what honestly look like Benelli's or Mossbergs in some of the Elysian kits. Stubbers and autoguns can be found in the Vraksian Renegade arm kits.

Krieg Grenadier sergeants have laspistols which with a little blade work (cut off the power pack and shave it up a little) look like suppressed Heckler and Koch Mk23s which while not used in WW2 still look awesome. You can trim up the las pistols that come in the FW Cadian Veteran kit to look like 1911s very easily.

Aldo's knife is very similar to the shorter of the combat knives in the Cadian infantry box.

GET TO IT

JagdWehrwolf
06-10-2009, 11:01
@noobzilla: A slight misunderstanding then. I wasn`t trying to equal power factor to coolness factor. I was rather looking from a fluff point of view. In terms of raw power I reckon that Harker is quite competent. What kills him in my eyes is the over-the-top fluff and, ironically, the model. Basically as Ghost of Trigger mentioned most of the new chars with their tame background just don`t do it for me. But lets agree to disagree on that.

And I hope You`ll make a log while having fun with making Inglorious Basterds. Also, sawn-off lasguns are pure win :D

@Col.Tartleton: You nailed it perfectly with Yarrick. There`s something about an old man who despite standing above his grave, who in his endless personal war lost an eye, an arm and three quarters of his soul, just refuses to lay down and die, because he knows that HIS enemy is still out there. It just commands respect.

And thanks to You I found amazing theme for him. "Blood and Thunder" by Mastodon from album "Leviathan". Loosely based on Moby Dick. ;)

Twinmold
06-10-2009, 11:19
Just that fact that they have a grumpy old man with a magic walking stick which he used to poke his minders with puts a smile on my face. I also love the description for the stick. Something to the effect of it containing unimaginable power. In game effect, +1 toughness. Powerful indeed.

Actually it is +2 toughness and a rerollable 4+ cover save to him and his guard.

destroyerlord
06-10-2009, 11:28
Commisar Yarrik for me. I would have voted Orks, but I've been an IG fan for longer, and he has a power klaw anyway :p (proving a lowly human is at least better than ONE ork warboss...)

Gdolkin
06-10-2009, 13:51
I've always loved Loki, but I'm not too sure about this Lukas rascal.. I could be happier about his zany wenching antics if the model didn't look so much like Mick Hucknall from Simply Red.. (Haha, you can't un-see it!)
For me this thread boils down to Mephiston vs. Kharn, and I can't decide.. BLOOD!

Fanboy
06-10-2009, 13:51
Mephiston would be my first choice........

But then it is a biased choice,......but then you did ask.....:)

Yours thankfully

Fanboy

Cynisperer
06-10-2009, 14:23
IG Yarrick. ^.^ He can stand back up and makes people reroll passed to wound rolls, but Book wise I like Colonel-Commissar Guant.

noobzilla
06-10-2009, 16:14
@noobzilla: A slight misunderstanding then. I wasn`t trying to equal power factor to coolness factor. I was rather looking from a fluff point of view. In terms of raw power I reckon that Harker is quite competent. What kills him in my eyes is the over-the-top fluff and, ironically, the model. Basically as Ghost of Trigger mentioned most of the new chars with their tame background just don`t do it for me. But lets agree to disagree on that.

And I hope You`ll make a log while having fun with making Inglorious Basterds. Also, sawn-off lasguns are pure win :D

I just like the model of Harker, his fluff is eh, but I think he's cool. If I ever get the money and time to do it, I definitely will do a log.

Hypaspist
06-10-2009, 16:58
I have to say that for me, the Ork Codex is the Sub-Zero Cool Wall winner for characters.

They are all as mad as a box of badgers. as well as being Ded Killy to boot.

Eldoriath
06-10-2009, 19:30
Imperial guards, or more precisely Ironhand Straken. He is the man of men.
He is/was regular human? Yes.
Did he get his right arm and large part of his chest bitten away by and land shark, just proceed to rip it's throat out with his teeth? Yes he did.

He is clearly my favorite character, as well as Sly Marbo. I started off with catachans, so what can I say, i dig them. Otherwise I have always liked Cypher, but there are still characters that I find cooler, i e comissar Yarrick, he is the right hand of Straken in manlyness IMO.

DeliciousCheese
06-10-2009, 21:07
Come on, Orkz have to win this one. All of their characters have such a unique personality, are quirky as hell aaaand are super killy. Go orkz!!

kairous
07-10-2009, 19:59
I believe every codex/army book has its yeah and meah characters, im primarily a CSM player and i think some of the characters in the book are cool, then i look and huron and his inclusion and think why, maybe thats because i don't like his fluff, his rules, him ;), but for whatever reason, somebody will like him.

And for that reason i can't vote as i can't 100% put my vote to anyone.

However i do have a gripe, why arn't SW in with the SM's, just wandering if someone could explain that for me, i will however start reading back through the thread, as i have some time to kill and see if i can find the answer there :)

RealMikeBob
07-10-2009, 21:15
space wolves av da best characterz! lol!!!

if you're twelve....

The old characters are great. Bjorn is still awesome. The new characters, well... lets just go with not so awesome. Although I voted Chaos. Cypher is still the best, even when absent from the rules.

wilsongrahams
07-10-2009, 22:11
Blood Angels. They have Mephiston. Need I say more?

kairous
08-10-2009, 00:11
Although I voted Chaos. Cypher is still the best, even when absent from the rules.

I forgot about cypher and his mysterious ways, and the fact i have a copy of his rules :D, im voting chaos :evilgrin:

Tokugawa100
08-10-2009, 00:17
Both the Eldar races of course.

The Pheonix Lords are just the greatest thing since sliced bread:D

The Decapitator, Asrubeal Vect, Lelith Hesperax, Drazhar and all those memorable characters are just the best.
They spit on all you lesser beings out there;)

Captain DD
08-10-2009, 00:40
IG for sure. A biased opinion but look at Stracken. Pretty impressive for an un-genetically modified human.

d6juggernaut
08-10-2009, 02:01
first of all, why is necron and tau in the selection?
secondly, as much as I love necrons, orks definitely have the best characters, it's not about defending mankind, it's not about ruling the world, it's not about some scheme to drag the universe into chaos. It's about been born and happens to be able to spit fire, it's about getting into a fight, get decapitated and get a cyborg body from a total nutcase, it's about been non-mainstream and going kommando. Now those are some badass characters

TrojanWolf
08-10-2009, 10:12
it's about been non-mainstream and going kommando.
That made me lol far more than it had any right to.

Juggalo
08-10-2009, 12:10
IG by far

My personal favourite fluffwise is sergeant bastonne (or however his name is spelled) although most people I know like 'iron hand' straken or Commisar Yarrick.
I think it may be the fact that they are normal humans and not power armoured space marines.

Ironically, Straken is T4 and has a 3+ save. :P