PDA

View Full Version : wolf guard terminator points question

SonoftheMountain
05-10-2009, 03:15
so as I see it, a Wolf Guard Terminator with Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield is 63 points?

or am I getting something wrong?

Sons of Russ
05-10-2009, 03:22
so as I see it, a Wolf Guard Terminator with Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield is 63 points?

or am I getting something wrong?

No, your are getting it right. Do not attempt to adjust your television...
We control the horizontal, We control the vertical....

Worst thing you can do with WG termies: Storm Shield & T-Hammer =63pts
Best thing you can do with WG termies: Storm Bolter & Wolf Claw=40% less points
Very good base set up for WG termies: Storm Bolter & Power Weapon=48% less points

Lone Wolves in Termie Armour do the Lysander-thing much better....

TheEndIsHere
05-10-2009, 03:33
No, your are getting it right. Do not attempt to adjust your television...
We control the horizontal, We control the vertical....

Worst thing you can do with WG termies: Storm Shield & T-Hammer =63pts
Best thing you can do with WG termies: Storm Bolter & Wolf Claw=38pts
Very good base set up for WG termies: Storm Bolter & Power Weapon=33 pts

Lone Wolves in Termie Armour do the Lysander-thing much better....

Aren't 2 wolf claws good too?

BTW OP this is just asking for points, this is bad.

WildWeasel
05-10-2009, 03:36
For 10 more points, you get one extra CC attack (albeit a PW attack with a reroll options), but give up the storm bolter, rendering the WG useless out of CC.

Sons of Russ
05-10-2009, 06:24
Pound for pound, Wolfguard terminators with Storm Bolters and a light sprinkling of single assault weapon and/or combi-weapon upgrades are the most versatile and effective terminator squads of ANY codex.

Able to shoot like Tactical Codex Terminators, almost as effective in close combat as dedicated Assault Codex Terminators, with better firepower and more weapon options than Chaos terminators (at only a small points premium for the latter case)

Only real loss? Unable to teleport. I never did with Deathwing anyway...

Ronin_eX
05-10-2009, 10:25
Pound for pound, Wolfguard terminators with Storm Bolters and a light sprinkling of single assault weapon and/or combi-weapon upgrades are the most versatile and effective terminator squads of ANY codex.

Able to shoot like Tactical Codex Terminators, almost as effective in close combat as dedicated Assault Codex Terminators, with better firepower and more weapon options than Chaos terminators (at only a small points premium for the latter case)

Only real loss? Unable to teleport. I never did with Deathwing anyway...

And even on that last point they can take drop pods and are now able to come in safely without worrying about things like landing on enemy units or impassable terrain. This allows them to go exactly where they need to be without risk. For the cost of a rhino you can't go wrong with that.

If you go the SB+PW route with them, add in an assault cannon and a drop pod you get a squad that is 230 points compared to the DW that is 20 points cheaper for the same ranged firepower and more attacks at initiative (feel free to add in up to four combi-weapons to even things up point wise). Compared to a standard Terminator squad they come out even but standard SM Terminators don't get drop pod assault now do they?

The above squad has the same firepower, better assault capability in some scenarios and can be brought in Deathwing style. They can pack more firepower as well for just a little bit more and absolutely shred things off of the drop (imagine an assault cannon and four combi-plasma and what that can do to the unit you point it at). Simply slam 2-3 terminator squads down at a weak point in the enemy lines with good cover and proceed to eat a section of their army alive before they know what happened.

Another fun tactic is that, unlike the Deathwing, they can coordinate their assault with the whole army. Bring down some WG (non-TDA) or GH in drop pods as mop-up guys, bring a dreadnought along for the trip or even a unit of long fangs to set up a fire base in terrain out of your deployment zone.

So while they can start to get pricey fast they can make up the cost of more expensive equipment by taking a few bargain basement units. Their flexibility is what makes them so damn deadly. The simple loss of teleport isn't that bad when you get the ability to use a drop pod instead. Having tried out DPA with terminators after having settled with DWA for so long I have to say it is nice to have an army that isn't a one trick teleporting pony with a single viable build. :D

Gaargod
05-10-2009, 10:36
Unfortunately, drop pods are easy kill points. Stupid, but generally anyting that has high odds of killing the WG can kill the drop pod easily.

But yeah, 5 man squad with 4 SBs, 5 Claws and one missle launcher is amazingly versatile.