PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elf Hero choices?

Tulun
18-01-2006, 08:44
What do you think would be a well-rounded group of hero choices for a Wood Elf army? (consider for under 2k, so no Lords :P)

This is another thing I'm having trouble getting straight. It seems you need lots of magic defence, but I am having trouble getting the mix right. It seems a standard bearer would also be well worth tossing in as well.

TheDrugLordX
18-01-2006, 15:58
I've never really found uses for BSB for elves (Unless it's a mounted HE BSB with the battle standard. Though, that's very expensive!) and therefore advice against taking one.

If you want a potential magic phase, take two mages. The wood Elf magic can be devastating, you just need some practice so that you know when to do what;)

Though, depending on your playing style having 1 defensive mage could work. I'm not that keen on branchwraiths but they have their uses I guess (magic defense + being a resonable character).

for 1000pts, I would go with 1 mage and 1 noble. For 1500, either 1 mage and 2 nobles or 2 mages and one noble. It's a preferance of choice really, as there are many suitable configurations that will work! You just have to find the one that suits you the best.

god octo
18-01-2006, 18:10
You could also get a branchwraithe. They are very versitaile and you could make one a LVL1 mage and give her the cluster of radients for 2 dispel dice. A fighty charcter will depend on what type of army you have.

Tulun
18-01-2006, 20:55
well, I have lists posted on army list forum, feel free to take a peak.

I have thought about the Branchwraith, but it isn't a cheap route either. The mage upgrade is terribly expensive, but almost justifiable if you even want tree-singing. I like the cluster of radiants, though, good way to get an extra DD.

Odin
18-01-2006, 22:02
For 1500 points I use a Noble, Spellsinger and Branchwraith (with Cluster of Radiants of course). Gives a useful 5 dispel dice, and 5 power dice, as well as two reasonable fighty characters.

Tulun
18-01-2006, 22:22
Hmmm, how would you arm the Noble / singer? probably depend on the list, but I am torn between combatty Noble (get a decent Ward save, some fighty), or more of a shooty (hail of doom arrow) with light armor.

This might work with the HoTD if I made the Branch the General, and gave her Annoyance of Netlings...

Yak
19-01-2006, 09:23
A lot of poeple go for an alter noble with helm of the hunt and hail of doom arrow with a great weapon. On the charge he hits as hard as a treeman! The mage often just carries scrolls, but ranu's heartstone can be useful. A branchwriath never leaves home withouth her cluster, and normally has one of annoyance, murder or pageant.

There is a lot of discussion about this on Asrai.org (www.asrai.org) - take a look.

Tulun
19-01-2006, 20:14
I found that build as well... (Alter Noble). Seems really solid.
The Mage with that heart-stone doesn't seem worth it. If I am worried about dispelling a spell, esspecially with 1 use only, might as well just take the dispel scroll. But the Branch seems to be getting more worth it. You get essentially a level 3 mage for magic defence purposes... it seems that Wood Elves are ESSPECIALLY weak against magic heavy armies, from what I've read, and even see of their cost / save / toughness.

god octo
19-01-2006, 21:29
i use a branchwraithe with annoyance and cluster. She held up a 5oo point dragon lord for 3 turns. However, she only inflicted one wound(me and dryads dont always get along). They make excellent characters and can add that crucial extra dispell dice.

Tulun
19-01-2006, 21:40
It's too bad you can't get radiance multiple times, otherwise it seems more worth it to have a level 1 Weaver with a dispel scroll (or 2).

Odin
19-01-2006, 22:01
Hmmm, how would you arm the Noble / singer? probably depend on the list, but I am torn between combatty Noble (get a decent Ward save, some fighty), or more of a shooty (hail of doom arrow) with light armor.

This might work with the HoTD if I made the Branch the General, and gave her Annoyance of Netlings...

The Noble is variable - could be Alter, more usually riding a Great Eagle, with Stone of the Crystal Mere and Helm of the Hunt.

Spellsinger has Dispel Scroll & Deepwood Sphere (I don't like scroll-caddies).

Galadrin
22-01-2006, 07:42
Depending on your enemy, I think vanilla Noble with Spellsinger and Branchwraith is the best option. As said earlier, 5 Power and 5 Dispel is relatively impressive in a 1,500 point game. Give the Noble Netlings and Elynett's Brooch, stick him in a unit of 15 Eternal Guard and you can guarantee your hero and guard will stick around till every model is dead.

Tulun
23-01-2006, 07:58
Something to play around with ;)

I don't own any models yet, so it's all theory. I may proxy and try different stuff out sometimes.

I am not eager to buy a Spellsinger without a mount option, I think (Don't think GW sells one?) Seems nice to keep the hero mobile and out of harms way.

Tulun
24-01-2006, 02:09
Hmm, here's a fun one... deepwood sphere or Calingors stave?

Both seem to have some advantages, though the ability to cast Tree-singing multiple times might really pay off more than the Sphere's defensive (though, from what I hear, that Sphere ability is REALLY nasty if someone is trying to take out your mage ;))

Rider-Of-Kurnous
08-04-2007, 20:58
i not been playin for long but all the battkles ive played i won and i allways use one spellsinger upgraded to lv2 and calaingors staff so shes about 140pts a noble on foot with great weapon (or on horse with spear) and bow of loren and a branchwraith upgraded to lv1 spellcaster with a spite

Reinnon
08-04-2007, 21:34
as my army list is based around a good solid core of treesinging i tend to go for the 2 spellsinger route, yet i'm not really a great fan of the character section of any armylist really.

i would go for a spellsinger, the lore of AL is so useful if used right

Your Mum Rang
08-04-2007, 21:42
If you have 2 Treemen a BSB is immense!

For Treesinging, a Lvl 2 Spellsinger w/Calingor's Save and a Lvl 1 with the Deepwood Sphere are brilliant. Add in a Treeman for bound spells and you have a lot of movement potential!

I like using 2 Alter Nobles. One with Helm of the Hunt and Annoyance of Netlings (Challenge beast) and one with Hail of Doom Arrow and Briarsheath (shooting support). These support my Wild Riders and are very versatile!