PDA

View Full Version : The Hobbit

Hero adamite
05-10-2009, 22:32
Heard that they are making The Hobbit into a movie in 2 parts. Anyone got any info on this?

the-skylord
05-10-2009, 22:48
Thats the first i've heard on it. Thought it was due out december 2010?

Nuada
05-10-2009, 23:12
Yes two parts is correct, the first movie ends with the death of smaug. They start filming in march 2010.
I did start a hobbit movie thread in here, but it was moved

Here's a few shots of Hobbiton that they made back in August...... http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2009/09/14/33483-33483/

It will have the white council in the movies. I'm looking forward to seeing Dol Guldur

Hero adamite
05-10-2009, 23:16
Can't wait, they should make movies based on the 1st and 2nd age and use the other Tolkien books as reference such as The Silmarillion etc.

Condottiere
06-10-2009, 01:57
The two part aspect was conceived from the very beginning in order to milk the cow properly; would've have been in three parts, but no one would have swallowed that.

Arnizipal
06-10-2009, 11:39
Can't wait, they should make movies based on the 1st and 2nd age and use the other Tolkien books as reference such as The Silmarillion etc.
They can't. Only material of The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings is allowed to be used for the movies. The rights to the other books have not been given.

The two part aspect was conceived from the very beginning in order to milk the cow properly; would've have been in three parts, but no one would have swallowed that.I thought they wanted to make it a two-parter because of the difference in tone between The Hobbit (after all a children's book) and the much more serious nature of The Lord of the Rings.

Condottiere
06-10-2009, 12:43
The financial aspect dominates, since there is no logical sequel.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
06-10-2009, 13:22
If they cut out Tom Bombadil, so help me...

*shakes fist at Hollywood*

Arnizipal
06-10-2009, 13:23
Tom Bombadil was in the Hobbit?

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
06-10-2009, 13:37

*sigh*

No, I remembered it wrong.

Steam_Giant
07-10-2009, 10:08

*sigh*

No, I remembered it wrong.

Is that likely to stop old PJ from adding him in ? In the "spirit of Tolkien" of course :rolleyes:

Condottiere
07-10-2009, 10:18
I don't think he leaves the borders of the Old Forest. Who's going to go through that or visit him, Gandalf?

Hero adamite
07-10-2009, 20:45
They can't. Only material of The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings is allowed to be used for the movies. The rights to the other books have not been given.[/I].

Who knows maybe Chris Tolkien will give the rights so they can be published into movies, since he was the one who published the other books. (atleast i think so)

N810
07-10-2009, 20:47
I don't think he leaves the borders of the Old Forest. Who's going to go through that or visit him, Gandalf?

I believe it was Sam and Frodo that ran into him after being entangled by old man willow...

Condottiere
09-10-2009, 05:09
In the time-frame of the Hobbit itself, since I doubt they'll use cutting floor footage from LotR.

xxRavenxx
09-10-2009, 10:06
I thought they wanted to make it a two-parter because of the difference in tone between The Hobbit (after all a children's book) and the much more serious nature of The Lord of the Rings.

From what I read when the hobbit was first announced, they wanted a three parter, and to fill the third one with a Hobbit 2 / LOTR zero made up story about the further adventures of bilbo. *cringe*

Thank god they dropped that one.

HsojVvad
09-10-2009, 13:56
I thought I read about 6 months ago, that the first movie will be The Hobbit, the hole movie not a 2 parter, but the 2nd movie would be a tie into, LotR, so nothing to do with the book.

As I said that was 6 months ago, so who knows what the word is now. I havn't bothered to check what is updated. Lost all the links to it.

LordLucan
09-10-2009, 16:42
Latest news (according to theonering.com I think) is that the 2 hobbit films will be the hobbit in two halves.

N810
09-10-2009, 16:45
Latest news (according to theonering.com I think) is that the 2 hobbit films will be the hobbit in two halves.

They will probaly end the first one after they excaping the woodelves...
It's about 1/2 way through the book and is a fairly good stoping point. ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvan_Elves

mdauben
09-10-2009, 22:30
Who knows maybe Chris Tolkien will give the rights so they can be published into movies, since he was the one who published the other books. (atleast i think so)
Actually, JRR himself sold the film rights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings back in the '60s. Since then, the Tolkien estate (and particularly Christopher Tolkien) have been vehemently opposed to any further licencing of any of the other material written by JRR such as The Silmarilion or Unfinished Tales.

Draquenoire
10-10-2009, 03:57
I was just gonna say it'll be a cold day in hell before Christopher ever lets Hollywood touch anything the Tolkien estate still controls haha. Too bad though, as I really would love to see the Silmarillion come to the silver screen. Could you imagine the Elves at the peak of their power battling it out with Morgoth? Just watching the Last Alliance in action in FotR brought a nerdy tear to my eye.

Condottiere
10-10-2009, 07:29
The problem with bringing the Silmarion to the screen, in anything other than a docudrama, would involve creating new dialogue extrapolated from a few descriptive paragraphs, and adapting the story to make it more cinegraphic.

Steam_Giant
10-10-2009, 21:15
Could you imagine the Elves at the peak of their power battling it out with Morgoth? Just watching the Last Alliance in action in FotR brought a nerdy tear to my eye.

I can imagine, thats why the books should remain untouched. ;)

Draquenoire
12-10-2009, 15:11
I can imagine, thats why the books should remain untouched. ;)

You're not even remotely interested in seeing what it might look like in film? I agree nothing can ever match the experience we derive from reading the books. I just think it would be real neat to see what see what could be done with the books in the hands of talented director. For the record, I did enjoy P.J.'s go at LotR haha.

Steam_Giant
13-10-2009, 20:11
I also enjoyed PJ's LOTR, but i think he pushed the constraints of the medium close to its limit. I think the world of Tolkien would best be realised in a medium other than film. My first thought is a video game, the company behind the 'Elder scrolls' Bethesda might be up to the task? But a VG opens up more possiblities for disappointment.

Since there is already a giant collection of art work to back up the words of Tolkien. I feel the Sil' should be guarded from interpretation into a "new" media, at least until one is invented that can do it justice.

Xarius
13-10-2009, 21:26
as much as 2 parts is for financial gain i'm glad as it lets them expand and detail more than they could in 1 movie.

canucklhead
13-10-2009, 23:04
You couldn't do the Silmarillion justice, it would end up like every attempt to produce a film version of the Old Testament, which is essentially what the Silmarillion is. Even in the golden age of film, with the best actors and the wide eyed public still not jaded by the torrent of crap coming off the screens of today, there were no decently done film versions of the bible.

Condottiere
15-10-2009, 15:19
Once Tolkien's stuff is in public domain, you probably have both the technology and accumulated fanfic to make a rather decent go at producing it.

TheSmilingGoat
18-10-2009, 20:02
The problem with bringing the Silmarion to the screen, in anything other than a docudrama, would involve creating new dialogue extrapolated from a few descriptive paragraphs, and adapting the story to make it more cinegraphic.

they could make a movie out of the children of haruin (i think thats how its spelt) i'd love if they did, its my fav story from the silmarion, and shows just how truly twisted morgoth was

Nuada
03-11-2009, 08:35
Just heard this .......... John Rhys-Davies, Gimli in Lord of the Rings, won't appear in The Hobbit as Gloin.

J R-D......"I've already been asked and to be honest with you, I wouldn't. I have already completely ruled it out. There's a sentimental part of me that would love to be involved again. Really I am not sure my face can take that sort of punishment any more."

Steam_Giant
03-11-2009, 09:51
J R-D......"I've already been asked and to be honest with you, I wouldn't. I have already completely ruled it out. There's a sentimental part of me that would love to be involved again. Really I am not sure my face can take that sort of punishment any more."

Im not surprised, The guy was really allergic to his make up. You can see the effects in the "making of" dvds.

Arnizipal
03-11-2009, 11:27
That's too bad. Won't make much of a difference though. Children don't have to be the spitting image of their fathers after all.

HsojVvad
03-11-2009, 16:46
Wasn't Gloin at Council meeting about the Ring? Why don't they just him again? Also if they put someone we don't know, it won't make a difference, I don't believe we would be able to tell the difference because hes was seen what for 1 or 2 seconds?

Condottiere
03-11-2009, 23:21
Rhys-Davies is one of those OTT actors, and since you don't want just a bunch of Dwarves marching along, and singing a song, they'll need to develop some individual personality.

Nuada
09-11-2009, 21:20
This is from a recent interview with Del Toro...

The Hobbit has taken much longer to design than your other movies…

It took almost a year. Which for me is very, very long because normally I take about a third of that time to design movies like Hellboy. And if you actually take into account we have three or four times the number of artists…We produced hundreds, literally hundreds, of drawings; dozens and dozens of maquettes; dozens of material tests. It’s epic. And we are still going to be designing into production

Will the book make up the first movie, with the second movie plucked from the appendices and maybe even your imagination? Or will parts of the book be saved for the second movie?

We are respecting the structure established by Professor Tolkien because the order of the adventures in The Hobbit is well known to generations and generations of kids. You don’t want to be moving stuff like that.

But we will be integrating Gandalf’s comings and goings because he does disappear in the book quite often.

So, as opposed to the book, we see where he goes and what happens to him

You love creating your creatures and obviously The Hobbit offers some great opportunities. There’s the dragon Smaug, the spiders of Mirkwood, the Wargs, Beorn the bear-man…

The way I phrased it to Weta, I said we would keep the DNA in the same gene pool as the Rings trilogy, but that we would generate a different type of character. For example, in the trilogy most of the creatures are brutish or inarticulate.

In The Hobbit, the creatures speak: Smaug has beautiful lines of dialogue; the Great Goblin has beautiful lines of dialogue; many creatures do. So we had to design them with a different approach because you are not just designing things that are scary.

I also wanted some of the monsters in The Hobbit to be majestic.

I wanted the Wargs to have a certain beauty so that you don't have a massively clear definition: what is beautiful is good and what is ugly is not. Some of the monsters are absolutely gorgeous.

canucklhead
09-11-2009, 21:39
Way to go Del Toro. I have no doubts that he will handily show PJ how it's done. Just the attitude he seems to be trying to bring to the production fills me with a sense of happy anticipation, as opposed to the creeping horrors I got when I heard LOTR was coming as a film trilogy.

Nuada
10-11-2009, 08:24
Looks like Del Toro will be making a cameo appearance in the Hobbit (no doubt PJ influenced him there) He will appear as a small monster;

Del Toro ........ “I had a hand on the design of the creature and I will personally sculpt the appliances that will be applied on my face and hands. I used to sculpt the creatures for NECROPIA (my FX company) and I miss it a bit. I will have a line or two and die quickly.”

Steam_Giant
10-11-2009, 09:59
After reading that, its difficult not to get your hopes up for the film.

Arnizipal
10-11-2009, 11:25
Will the book make up the first movie, with the second movie plucked from the appendices and maybe even your imagination? Or will parts of the book be saved for the second movie?

We are respecting the structure established by Professor Tolkien because the order of the adventures in The Hobbit is well known to generations and generations of kids. You don’t want to be moving stuff like that.

But we will be integrating Gandalf’s comings and goings because he does disappear in the book quite often.

So, as opposed to the book, we see where he goes and what happens to him
So will he take it from Tolkien's works or will he make it up? :confused:

Condottiere
10-11-2009, 12:02
The chances are that if he gets too creative, someone will put him on a short leash, and then either he'll get fired or quit.

AndrewGPaul
10-11-2009, 12:17
So will he take it from Tolkien's works or will he make it up? :confused:

Why are you asking? Gandalf's actions when not with the rest of the part in The Hobbit ware well-described, either by Gandalf himself in the book, or in the appendices to Lord of the Rings. Why would they need to make anything up? All they're doing is adding scenes from other sources.

Arnizipal
10-11-2009, 14:01
Because that was the question that was asked of him and he was very vague in answering it. All he said is that he would stick to the chronology of The Hobbit.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but the movie rights to the appendices are not released to the makers of this movie, meaning they won't be allowed to show anything that's not mentioned in The Hobbit.

Dr Death
10-11-2009, 16:19
I beleive the appendices do come as part of the 'lord of the rings' film license and so therefore could be used (they certainly did in the LotR films) but much of The Hobbit's subplots arent left to the appendices but are actually in the main body of the book, mostly in the council of elrond if i remember correctly. Regrettably Unfinished Tales isnt part of the license so some of the little tweaks unique to 'The Quest for Erebor' text wont be available but i doubt they will be any real loss considering the wealth of information that is available under the two licenses.

I'm really looking forward to what PJ and GdT come up with for the whole Gandalf gig. I think it'll provide a really cool sinister contrast to the otherwise quite campy tone of the tale. Even going on my meagre imagination there are some seriously cool moments that could come out of it.

Dr Death

Rykion
10-11-2009, 20:53
Because that was the question that was asked of him and he was very vague in answering it. All he said is that he would stick to the chronology of The Hobbit.
Don't worry PJ and the team from the Lord of the Rings are working on the screenplay with Del Toro. So of course they'll be making stuff up. :p I'm sure there'll be plenty of cool stuff for Gandalf. It's just going to be weird with Bilbo and the dwarves. Gimli was turned into a comedy stereotype, so I wonder what Thorin and company will be like. That many dwarves on the screen for the better part of two movies has to equal comedy gold. :rolleyes:

canucklhead
10-11-2009, 21:07
IIRC, they were quite comical, even in the book. 'The Hobbit', was much lighter that any of the other Middle Earth based literature. It had a childish and almost cute quality, even in the darkest parts. This is something I think Del Toro has a great potential to exploit, and he definetly has the skill to make it happen.

Hero adamite
20-11-2009, 18:35
After reading all this, i cannot wait, and they aren't starting filming to 2010, am i correct?

HsojVvad
21-11-2009, 18:15
After reading all this, i cannot wait, and they aren't starting filming to 2010, am i correct?

I thought they were filming now, or some parts. I thought after filming they had to do thier editing and all that stuff, so they would start to be filming now if they wanted a 2011 release. Or is that a 2012 release then?

Nuada
22-11-2009, 13:19
IIRC, they were quite comical, even in the book. 'The Hobbit', was much lighter that any of the other Middle Earth based literature. It had a childish and almost cute quality, even in the darkest parts. This is something I think Del Toro has a great potential to exploit, and he definetly has the skill to make it happen.

Yeah you're right. When Tolkien first wrote the hobbit it was just a story for his children. At first he had no intention of connecting the hobbit background to his Silmarilion world.
The hobbit had immediate success, and Stanley Unwin (publisher) begged Tolkien to write a sequel to the hobbit. He started writting this sequel in Dec 1937. Over time it became a much darker book, eventually turning into the LotR.

Condottiere
22-11-2009, 16:33
IIRC, Tolkien slightly retconned it in subsequent reprintings to conform to the LotR storyline.

Arnizipal
23-11-2009, 11:37
He tried to fully rewrite it, but he abandoned the project after a while and settled for some minor adjustments. For instance in the original version Bilbo wins the ring fair and square from Gollem. In the adapted version he finds/steals it.

Tolkien liked both versions so he kept the older version as Bilbo's side of the story and the new version as how it actually happened.

canucklhead
25-11-2009, 18:23
I think if Del Toro keeps the lighthearted fun he managed to sell so very well in Hellboy, I'll be quite pleased with the result. Hellboy had issues, no doubt, but it was a fun fantasy movie that hit a few very good notes.

The Hobbit could do much worse with some directors who have more 'cred'.

Nuada
27-11-2009, 10:21
Peter Jackson has now finished the script for the first movie.
This is from an interview.........

"The Hobbit will be two movies and we've written the first script and delivered it to the studio who seem to be happy with it," In The News quotes Jackson as saying. "We're now halfway through the second script."

Jackson remarked that he was able to overcome initial difficulties when penning the Hobbit script with del Toro, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens.

He said: "It was an interesting experience because eight or nine years have passed since we wrote the Lord Of The Rings screenplays and I was worried it'd be weird or hard or uncomfortable to go back there, but as soon as we started writing the scripts it was fun, actually, and easy."

Shrapnelsmile
05-12-2009, 16:03
It's excellent that Jackson and del Torro are partnering on this, from what I can ascertain.

SirSnipes
06-12-2009, 05:54
they are making 2 hobit films, and the fall of the necromancer to connect the 2, casting is goin well apparently for bilbo its down to james macavoy and that guy that plays chenkov in star trek

bork da basher
06-12-2009, 09:13
mr ******* Tumnus as bilbo....WRONG.

canucklhead
06-12-2009, 13:14
Assuming you aren't just joking, James Macevoy is a brilliant actor.

Sideros Peltarion
06-12-2009, 14:17
Its a shame Ian Holm can't do it, he was great in LotR. I heard Christopher Lee didn't want to fly to New Zealand again at his age so I don't know what they will be doing with Saruman. Would be great if they could film his parts in Britain or something, I love Christopher Lee

canucklhead
06-12-2009, 16:38
Saruman did not feature in 'The Hobbit'. So no worries about that.

Sideros Peltarion
06-12-2009, 17:29
No but he is a member of the White Council, possibly its leader, I can't remember if it was him or not. Anyway the fact that he was in the White Council means Saruman will be in the second film as it is about the White Council getting the Necromancer out of Dol Guldur or however you spell it
@canucklehead: Pain of Salvation!
:D

canucklhead
07-12-2009, 16:23
It wouldn't be difficult to write around Saruman, even if you want to feature the White council. Lee could even play Saruman, but simply be filmed at home in England, and have parts with little to no interaction. A little poo, but perfectly doable.

I don't get the reference?

Sideros Peltarion
07-12-2009, 17:18
That is the sort of thing I'm hoping they do
They say the gods creatures thing at the end of Be. I thought you got it from there.

Nuada
08-12-2009, 12:38
I found this...
....."Even though nobody has been cast because there isn't a budget from the studio, casting for The Hobbit has apparently begun. The first role up is going to a woman. It hasn't been anounced what part that'll be. Just that they've begun casting."

I'm guessing it's Galadriel

Sideros Peltarion
08-12-2009, 13:27
Probably yes, I can't remember any women in the Hobbit, and I think she is the only female member of the White Council too. Means they are filming them together then I suppose. Or at least making all of the preparations for both films before they start The Hobbit

Nuada
08-12-2009, 14:51
Means they are filming them together then I suppose. Or at least making all of the preparations for both films before they start The Hobbit

Yeah that's what i've heard. The plan so far is 370 days of filming for both films. :)

Hellfury
08-12-2009, 15:28
The only woman I recall in the hobbit (atleast one who plays any major role) is galadriel due to her membership in the white council.

I am going to be so super *********** pissed if they dare to screw this up with yet another stupid love interest in the story.

Not that I mind love interests, but if they dont play a predominant role in the books then they should not play a predominant role in the movie either.

I hate Arwen because of that.

"HI I am peter ajackson and I have a great idea! Lets break up any sort of story continuity by throwing liv tylers face all over the place, with lots of WHINING. The fans will LOVE it!"

*rolleyes*

Condottiere
08-12-2009, 16:34
Perhaps Gollum's unpublicised and tragic love affair with a highborn Goblin wench?

O Gollum, Gollum, wherefore art thou Gollum?
Deny thy precious and refuse thy name;
Or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love
And I'll no longer be an Misty Mountain Orcette.

Hellfury
08-12-2009, 16:41
I was actually hoping that gandalf would be the pivot man for the dwarves, much like snow white.

Too soon?

Nuada
08-12-2009, 16:59
Maybe they thought "if we can't get Ian Holm to play Bilbo, then we're not going to cast anyone to play Bilbo"

....... so instead of Bilbo, it's Lobelia Sackville and her magic umbrella that she names sting.

canucklhead
08-12-2009, 17:02
ahh. Perhaps the first role to be cast will indeed be Lobellia Sackville-Baggins. The only woman to play a significant role in the story, comic.

Midloo
16-12-2009, 22:30

Which is pretty much what PJ's team did for the 3 LotR movies. No offense to the uber fans, but the book is written in a pretty stilted style - bland and period-sounding dialogue and a near total lack of pacing in the books was much improved in the films IMHO.

Red Metal
26-12-2009, 21:33
I'm hoping for all kinds of new Hobbit products/collectibles and maybe a return for some companies to the LOTR collectibles market.

Sideshow making LOTR/Hobbit 12" figures, Gentle Giant, etc...

jakelautrec
03-01-2010, 21:19
Peter Jackson is not directing him...Im shocked he was the driving force behind LOTR.

Killshot
03-01-2010, 22:53
Which is pretty much what PJ's team did for the 3 LotR movies. No offense to the uber fans, but the book is written in a pretty stilted style - bland and period-sounding dialogue and a near total lack of pacing in the books was much improved in the films IMHO.

I definitely agree, I tried a number of times to read the books and struggled through them each time.

Peter Jackson is not directing him...Im shocked he was the driving force behind LOTR.

I really don't think Del Toro will actually need any help, he's done a number of fantastic movies. It is in good hands.

Sideros Peltarion
04-01-2010, 20:24
And Peter Jackson is still writing and I believe producing, so will still have a big impact on the way the films turn out, so they won't be completely different in style to LotR