PDA

View Full Version : Skink WYSIWYG Question

vinny t
05-10-2009, 23:13
Would you be ok if I played against you using 3 units of skink skrmishers kitted like this?

-6 Blowpies and 4 Javelins
-7 Blowpies and 3 Javelins

Axis
05-10-2009, 23:22
I said no for the following reason.

I dont think it would be clear from looking at a unit what it would be equipped with. However, i guess if you told me before hand that all skinks were equipped with blowpipes i would be ok with it.

On a different note i find javelins to be more effective anyway.

Toads77
05-10-2009, 23:27
Check out weapons on page 54 , it basically says that a minority of the models maybe armed differently then the rest, for the sake of a varied and different appearance. But most of the models (50%+), must be armed with the same weapons.

Seems like your ok.

Amlesh
05-10-2009, 23:31
As a Lizardmen player, I do this a lot too. It's simply how I built my models when I was assembling them. Even at tournaments, my opponents don't have a problem with it as long as I say "this unit of Skinks is armed with blowpipes" when I deploy them.

DarkTerror
05-10-2009, 23:38
I voted "no!"

This is really a poor idea because your opponent may easily become confused as to what your unit has. It's legal, but I wouldn't do it with a skirmishing unit. It's just far too easy to get a look at the unit, and from that angle assume that they're javelins or blowpipes, even if your opponent was told otherwise before the game started.

Very grey area I'd want to avoid, both playing with and playing against.

nosferatu1001
05-10-2009, 23:38
You have complied with the rules, so your opponent would have no good reason for not wanting to play against you.

ZeroTwentythree
05-10-2009, 23:57
How about a little clarification. Do you want to:

1. Use units with a mix of two different weapons.
2. Use units with one type of weapon, but some of the actual figures appear to be differently.

If it's 1, that starts to get a little fiddly for the rules. If it's 2, then I don't see the problem. I've had several LM opponents do that, and as long as they tell my what all their skinks are armed with in advance, there's really no problem.

If someone has problems remembering "blowguns" when they're told at the start of the game and/or provided with a copy of the army list, then... maybe WFB is a bit too complex for them... ;)

Axis
06-10-2009, 00:26
How about a little clarification. Do you want to:

1. Use units with a mix of two different weapons.
2. Use units with one type of weapon, but some of the actual figures appear to be differently.

If it's 1, that starts to get a little fiddly for the rules. If it's 2, then I don't see the problem. I've had several LM opponents do that, and as long as they tell my what all their skinks are armed with in advance, there's really no problem.

If someone has problems remembering "blowguns" when they're told at the start of the game and/or provided with a copy of the army list, then... maybe WFB is a bit too complex for them... ;)

I think i agree here. My worry is if he does take some javelin skinks (which i dont think he is).. then it becomes quite confusing.

Bac5665
06-10-2009, 00:59
I said yes, but I'd be annoyed at a tourney. For a friendly game, use pennies if you want! (As long as everything is clearly labeled...)

Axis
06-10-2009, 03:25
I said yes, but I'd be annoyed at a tourney. For a friendly game, use pennies if you want! (As long as everything is clearly labeled...)

As long as the pennies are either square on one square bases :p

someone2040
06-10-2009, 04:28
I said no.
I think it'd be honestly confusing for skinks. Besides... I'm not sure why you'd want to. Given you have 30 skinks, you need 2 boxes anyway. So why kit them out in an odd fashion?

Personally though, I'm not a huge fan of proxy unless it's for testing out configurations. Especially on a decent valued plastic kit like Skinks.

Avian
06-10-2009, 06:52
Maybe he bought them second hand?

I have no problems with it. :)

Vermin-thing
06-10-2009, 07:00
Maybe Puting markers next to the units might help to make things a bit easier.

Lordy
06-10-2009, 09:26
No problem with that at all, then again in friendly games i don't mind pretty much anything, i wouldn't pay Ģ50 for 5 Knights so i wouldn't expect my opponent to either.

At a tournament however i would like everything to be correct.

Avian
06-10-2009, 09:28
At a tournament however i would like everything to be correct.
Note that this IS correct according to the rules. ;)

Lordy
06-10-2009, 09:34
Yes apologies i was meaning more on the blood knights being correct in a tournament, not the skinks.

Matt1982
06-10-2009, 10:50
I've got no problem with this at all, it's in line with the word of the rules and the spirit. So long as the person playing them let me know at the start of the game to save confusion then no worries. I've got 9 minotaurs in my Beasts army, three with ahw's and 6 with great weapons(all bought second hand) which I play as 3 units of 3 and when I want them all to be great weapon squads I just mix one AHW model with 2 great weapon models and say majority weapon is the squad equipment, never had any complaints or even dodgey looks.

ZeroTwentythree
06-10-2009, 13:47
I think i agree here. My worry is if he does take some javelin skinks (which i dont think he is).. then it becomes quite confusing.

If there are two different units equipped with different weapons (a javelin unit, as you say), presumably he would split the figures up appropriately.

At least I would hope so. ;)

N810
06-10-2009, 13:52
Would you be ok if I played against you using 3 units of skink skrmishers kitted like this?

-7 Blowpies and 3 Javelins

If they are all suposed to be blowpipe skirmishers...
then yea that fine. ;)

Other wise :wtf:

Onisuzume
06-10-2009, 14:17
Here's an even better WYSIWYG question:
The old 5th edition plastic skinks with Short Bows.
Javelins or Blowpipe armed now?

Onidan
06-10-2009, 14:27
Well, itīs ok according to the rules, so whatīd be the problem?

As other people said: if youīd use more than one unit of skirmishers armed differently, you could just fill īem up as good as possible.

And if you only use one unit (or kind) of skirmishers, itīs no problem to remember "All skirmishers are armed with X".

Malorian
06-10-2009, 19:01
Well, itīs ok according to the rules, so whatīd be the problem?

Sums it up right there.

There is no need to be picky about something like that.

Lordsaradain
06-10-2009, 19:21
Check out weapons on page 54 , it basically says that a minority of the models maybe armed differently then the rest, for the sake of a varied and different appearance. But most of the models (50%+), must be armed with the same weapons.

Seems like your ok.

Yeah, it's ok by the rules, so it seems totally fine.

ZeroTwentythree
06-10-2009, 19:24
Here's an even better WYSIWYG question:
The old 5th edition plastic skinks with Short Bows.
Javelins or Blowpipe armed now?

You must throw them away. They are no good, as it would be "too confusing" for some people to handle. ;)

One of my local opponents has a bunch of those. He usually (always?) uses them as blowpipes. He always states that at the beginning of the game. Super genius that I am, I somehow manage to remember that for the entire game. ;)

Azhrar
06-10-2009, 20:55
It is also quite frustrating with skinks, since it is impossible to give all blowpipes as the sprues only include 5 Blowpipes for 6 skinks.

My opinion is that as long as you inform me, you can use them as you want. Anyone unable to remember such things, or even worse blame a loss on 2 skinks being armed differently is not someone I would like to play.

PeG
06-10-2009, 21:04
I voted yes as the rules support you and since all of the units have blowpipes there is no real risk of confusion. I would have a bigger problem if you for example had

6 blowpies and 5 javelins (armed with blowpipes)
7 blowpipes and 5 javelins (armed with blowpipes)
5 blowpipes and 6 javelins (armed with javelins)

It is still legal so I would have to accept it but wouldnt appreciate it due to the risk of confusion about which unit that is armed with what.

O&G'sRule
06-10-2009, 22:52
Write a list for your opponent that doesn't include anything he shouldn't know and WYSIWYG is really not an issue. I don't think it is anyway

Onisuzume
07-10-2009, 13:52
You must throw them away. They are no good, as it would be "too confusing" for some people to handle. ;)

One of my local opponents has a bunch of those. He usually (always?) uses them as blowpipes. He always states that at the beginning of the game. Super genius that I am, I somehow manage to remember that for the entire game. ;)
But if you throw those Short Bows away, wouldn't they be more like Javelins rather than Blowpipes? ;)

wilsongrahams
07-10-2009, 19:09
Again common sense prevails. As long as your opponent is made aware BEFORE any shooting starts and he knows what you have, does it make any difference? The main reason I can think of here is a player who wants an excuse for getting mauled by them saying they forgot. I mean, how closely do you usually look at what a model has anyway? As for the bows - use them as either - all fire some kind of missile - just assume the bow has the same stats as one of the others and again inform your opponent.

What DOESN'T sit well is 'forgetting' to mention that those twelve skinks are Kroxigor until they've been charged...