PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to paint marines with their arms on?

zeekill
06-10-2009, 01:18
So I really really want to finish building my Space Wolf Grey Hunters but I am worried that if I put the arms on it will be too difficult to paint the chest under the arm. I am an amateur painter (like I dont know anything about painting) so I would appreciate your opinions. And btw Im not going to pin or magnetize them, so dont suggest that now.
Thanks

Ghost of Trigger
06-10-2009, 01:21
It isnt that hard really, just get a detail brush.

tstreet21
06-10-2009, 01:23
it takes considerably longer, but I have found it easier to glue the legs to the base, paint them, glue the body to the legs, paint that, glue the head to the body, paint that, then add the arms and paint them. it keeps me from having to manuver around different bits to get the detail on the spot I want.

HunterSkunter
06-10-2009, 01:26
it takes considerably longer, but I have found it easier to glue the legs to the base, paint them, glue the body to the legs, paint that, glue the head to the body, paint that, then add the arms and paint them. it keeps me from having to manuver around different bits to get the detail on the spot I want.

That is definitely a prime situation, but I don't find it TOO hard to paint the chest with the arms on. Just try to keep it simple, I'm an amateur too (even though I've been painting for a few years, I am just not that good), so I try to get the most out of about 3 colors with some different shades and maybe a wash. Usually works pretty well.

fwacho
06-10-2009, 01:38
arms are easy. it's the gun that gets in the way. (and easily painted on sprue.)

LonelyPath
06-10-2009, 01:54
have no problems painting marines when they're fully assembled, I just takes a little more precision with the brush.

scarletsquig
06-10-2009, 02:32
Yep, leave the gun off and it's fine. no need to leave the arms and head off as well.

Legionary
06-10-2009, 02:45
Try doing gluing just one or two, then paint those two. If you find that you're able to work around the arms then you can go ahead and glue the rest - and if you dislike it, you've not got an entire batch to grind through.

Col. Dash
06-10-2009, 03:03
I always put my models together completely before painting them with the exception of fantasy shields.

Lusall
06-10-2009, 03:12
I usually have the arms on, but paint the bolt/plasma/melta gun seperatly -then- glue the weapon on. Makes painting the eagle easier.

Amnar
06-10-2009, 06:36
I always fully assemble my models before painting. I find it significantly quicker, and if it's an area of the model my brush can't reach, then nobody will ever see if it's left black primed....

Lothlanathorian
06-10-2009, 07:32
I put the torso and legs together and then paint them and the arms and then put the arms on. I paint everything like this. I paint the heads separately, also. I glue the helmets to a long toothpick kinda thing and paint them.

grissom2006
06-10-2009, 07:39
It's easy with the right brush and simply leave the bolter or other weapon off till it's painted for the ones that aren't attached.

Batwings
06-10-2009, 07:58
I paint (leaving all modesty aside) to Golden Demon standard and rarely paint anything that's not fully assembled first.
I work over a black undercoat and if some part of the model is obscured by another, then it usually stays black. I find that additional shadow adds depth to the figure and if you're painting for the table top, helps the model 'pop' when viewed from the gaming perspective.

dblaz3r
06-10-2009, 08:03
I glue everything together except the arms, these I pin but don't glue so they are easily removable. Makes painting the nooks and crannies that much easier. I have Dark Angels so the gun is already attached to one of the arms straight off the bat.

IcedAnimals
06-10-2009, 08:10
If you cant reach it you cant see it.

Lothlanathorian
06-10-2009, 08:45
If you cant reach it you cant see it.

This is true.

I, however, tend to get very OCD over it lol. I know, and that is what matters :p

Bloodriver
06-10-2009, 09:03
For marines armed with a bolter I assemble the figure fully, but only use a minimal amount of glue to attach the arms to the shoulders. This is just to ensure that the arms, body and bolter are all aligned properly. When the glue sets, I break off the arms (which are joined together by the bolter) at the shoulder and paint the model in two pieces, then glue the arms back on when painting is finished.

wilsongrahams
06-10-2009, 10:29
Sometimes I fully assemble a model, but with tactical marines I assemble them apart from the weapon - I remove one from sprue to get arms all lined up - then spray and paint them. The guns are painted seperate and then glued on before i touch up the hands and ends of gun where they were attached to the sprue. I leave most character models in parts if they will pose a problem too and painting neatly is more important here.

This seems to be the most common way and the easiest as usually the gun is a different colour anyway.

Goat of Yuggoth
06-10-2009, 11:41
I think the best idea here is to paint everything you can when the models are fully assembled. After all, they still are your basic footsloggers and people do tend to look more at how the colors tie with each other.
If I have painted a marine with a light color i usually tone it down with a wash or two at the chest area, darker base colors won't show much.

Oh and that box has some wonderful one-hand bolters, make sure to use those on the important models (ie. Sarge and those who you think have the coolest postures/character in them). That way you can paint their torsos better and the eye catches those models you want them to.. Put something irrelevant but classy to the other, bare hand that's supposed to hold the gun in place. Like that wolf skull you've got there :D

And another idea just popped to mind: IF you want to save the torsos you have there (I would because they look better if you don't stick a bolter in front) go and buy some assault marines. That way you can put the "vanilla" torsos to the Wulf Guard AND use the running legs+ shiny torsos+ the spare chainswords&pistols for an extra squad of Blood Claws (if you like them)

Sorry for the long post, hope you got some inspiration :) Remember, it's all up to your liking. If you fancy an idea, DO IT!

Karhedron
06-10-2009, 11:42
I find it easier to paint Marines without the bolters in the way but it is just personal preference.

One thing I have found useful for Space wolves though is to leave the shoulder pads off an paint those separately. This only applies if you are going for yellow shoulder pads as this colour is hard to paint and works best over a white undercoat. I paint the infantry as usual but undercoat the shoulder pads in white. It is then much easier to get a clean coat of yellow on them.

It does not matter much on smaller areas but shoulder pads are such a large smooth surface that any defects in the undercoat tend to show through the yellow and spoil the final finish.

But maybe I am just fussy. ;)

Sunyavadin
06-10-2009, 12:28
I paint them with shoulderpads and guns off but arms attached.

SideshowLucifer
06-10-2009, 13:59
I used to paint with the army and stuff off, but it was throwing off my shading and lighting, so I'm trying a unit pre-put together again and see just how much of a pain it is.

primarch16
06-10-2009, 16:24
I leave the arms off, but I play Templars (our bolters are attached to the arms, or at least one of them, given the choice I'd glue the arms and leave the bolters off)

solkan
06-10-2009, 18:23
The previous set of marines that I painted, I painted with the arms on but their hands were empty. That worked out okay.

The sets of noise marines that I'm painting now don't work out so well with the arms glued on because of the sonic blaster stuck in front of the chest. So I'm stuck painting the chest, painting the back of the gun, and then gluing that right arm and weapon assembly on at the end. :(

I end up having to do a similar two step painting for the backpacks because the backpacks get in the way of shading the back.