PDA

View Full Version : I hate the new Skaven models!

Toddzio
06-10-2009, 01:58
There were some grumblings about the Skaven models in the news and Rumors section, but I felt like with the release of the new Skaven models (see advanced orders) this is a more appropriate forum. Now, I hate the new Skaven models. They look like Comic Book Characters, not miniature representations of living breathing stabbing and sneaking creatures. They are all angular and fake. Look at the head of Skweel Gnawtooth and the Rats around him- Comical!
I am not happy if this is the direction all the new models from GW are going to be taking.

Shiodome
06-10-2009, 02:20
first, thanks for pointing out they're on advanced order hadn't noticed that. second...the Queek headtaker model is GORGEOUS! i'd planned to resist the new wave of rats, but **** that! (i guess that means i disagree :P )

TheDean04
06-10-2009, 02:23
There were some grumblings about the Skaven models in the news and Rumors section, but I felt like with the release of the new Skaven models (see advanced orders) this is a more appropriate forum. Now, I hate the new Skaven models. They look like Comic Book Characters, not miniature representations of living breathing stabbing and sneaking creatures. They are all angular and fake. Look at the head of Skweel Gnawtooth and the Rats around him- Comical!
I am not happy if this is the direction all the new models from GW are going to be taking.

Dude you have got to be completely on your own with your dislike for the new models. Seriously these are some of the best if not the best models GW has even released. The level of sculpting in the metals is starting to get on par with the old Rackham stuff and the new GW plastic continue to be awe inspiring. GW is making better and better models, this is proof of that.

Einholt
06-10-2009, 02:27
Uh Have you seen the old skaven models??? What is the basis of this judgment they are easily some of the best representations of a ratman in miniature form I don't see what could have been done differently that would have satisfied your taste.

Maine
06-10-2009, 02:31
Some love'm (me), some hate'm (Toddzio). They look like Rats of NIHM gone to war... beautiful sculpts

I'm also glad it's down from 7 parts to 3; cleaning flash and assembly was always a pain, and ranking them up once assembled? It's like a brain bender puzzle! How many people will honestly try to make a unique pose for every single rat in the a horde army? As it is, we get 20! different sculpts for our core troop.

In the end, complaining about it won't change anything (particularly this late in the product cycle). No matter what, someone will hate something for whatever reason, even if that thing is perfect (someone will hate it just because it's perfection). Just accept that you are in that 'dislike' category and move on. But hey, what is an internet forum for if not for complaining?

Comari
06-10-2009, 02:32
I have to totally diagree with OP. I think the new Skaven look awesome.
I was thinking of starting up Dark Elves as second army but now I'm thinking Skaven based on the look of the models alone.

DDogwood
06-10-2009, 02:33
I agree with everyone else, I really like these new models. I find myself wanting to make a Skaven army, against my better judgment. Fortunately I can't afford one right now :)

Stuffburger
06-10-2009, 02:37
The models are great I think, but the extremely clean paint job clashes with the tattered and worn equipment and clothes on the clanrat box i looked at. Just a matter of taste I suppose... I love me some grimdark.

Toddzio
06-10-2009, 02:42
Lol, I guess I am alone. At least to me they don't "feel" like GW models.

Injektilo
06-10-2009, 02:44
Pretty poor models in my eyes, Queek excepted, Gnawtooth in particular seems a very blocky effort, huge flat surfaces on his pet rat, squared off snouts. I'd also prefer the Skaven to be digitigrade as opposed to having huge clown feet...

On the other hand, Queek is wonderful.

Nephilim of Sin
06-10-2009, 02:53
These actually make me want to start a Skaven Army, and that hasn't happened since 5th.

Drop-Trooper
06-10-2009, 03:00
I'm a 40k player, never really been interested in fantasy, but that queek mini is AWESOME, it is almost enough for me to start up a skaven army

brawnyman1989
06-10-2009, 03:04
Has anyone seen Deathmaster, I think he looks fantastic. I may have to start and Eshin army now, cause that model is awesome!!!

loveless
06-10-2009, 03:12
The new Skaven pretty much rock. The only problem is the ridiculous paintjobs on some of them - Skweel in particular, far too much soft blending.

All in all - good stuff - really hard to resist them *nod*.

Ethriel
06-10-2009, 03:15
Are you joking?! These models are flippin B-E-A-utiful! I am so tempted to start a skaven army. Out of the three characters shown I personally think Deathmaster is my least favorite (that being said he's still quite awesome) . Gnawtooth is exquisite, he is a definite buy if he's not direct only, and Queek looks like a bad ****, he'll cut you up and then defecate on your remains cause hes OMFG.

Amnar
06-10-2009, 03:22
I hate Skaven, and those models are so gorgeous I'd be tempted to buy a few just to paint. Fantastic models....

antin3
06-10-2009, 03:28
I think the models are fantastic! They are a huge improvement over the giant hand wacky foot old clanrats. Please the old ones don't even compare.

Enigmatik1
06-10-2009, 03:28
I hate Skaven, and those models are so gorgeous I'd be tempted to buy a few just to paint. Fantastic models....

Agreed. :D

scarletsquig
06-10-2009, 03:34
The new models are a shift back towards the old metals, especially the stormbermin... the previous plastic boxes were the comical ones, they looked ridiculous!

Vermin-thing
06-10-2009, 03:45
I'm perfectly happy with having hamster-men as I really like the old single pose ones. I'll bet you my tail that your opinion will change once we see them ranked up with a "color scheme".

fastcarfreak
06-10-2009, 03:51
I had no intention on replacing my old skaven with new skaven models.... but screw that, these minis are ******* amazing. Especially queek and the Deathmaster. Im in crazy awe... Oh and thanks for pointing out the minis on the web site. November 7 cant come "queek" enough :)

fastcarfreak
06-10-2009, 03:53
oh yeah, does anyone else love the new doom wheel??? :)

ghost of scubasteve
06-10-2009, 03:57
these figures are off the hook

MarshalFaust
06-10-2009, 04:26
I agree the old ones look like mickey mouse in comparison

Urgat
06-10-2009, 05:02

I'm pretty sure all the points you criticize have to be blamed on the paintjobs rather than the minis themselves, really. On the sprue, the clanrats look very, well, ratty, so to speak. But in colour... huh! What poor choice of colours, can't tell the skin from the fur, and it's milk over cream, awesome contrasts there >>

blake
06-10-2009, 05:18
There were some grumblings about the Skaven models in the news and Rumors section, but I felt like with the release of the new Skaven models (see advanced orders) this is a more appropriate forum. Now, I hate the new Skaven models. They look like Comic Book Characters, not miniature representations of living breathing stabbing and sneaking creatures.

as soon as he finished typing this sentence all his credibility was gone and i stopped reading. Find me a living breathing ratman to compare these to please. Oh wait i forgot they are a fictional IP that GW can represent however they feel like, in hopes that it has broad appeal. Something i think they have done here very well. If you dont like the models Play with the old ones.

Halelel
06-10-2009, 05:27
Well, he is entitled to his opinion just like all of us are stating ours. Some people simply don't like the new models for whatever reason and more power to them if they don't like them. I find the new models amazingly awesome and like some other posters have noted, the clan rats will probably look a lot better with a better color scheme and a more "uniform" look.

I believe it is mainly the colors that are making them look more like guinea pigs than rats, once someone paints them in some dark brown/black furs and deep vibrant reds, I think you'll change your opinion.

Ultimate Life Form
06-10-2009, 05:30
Which begs the question, why does GW all of a sudden like to paint their new minis in a way that must put off every person with good taste? Also see VC book for more examples.

Urgat
06-10-2009, 05:37
Which begs the question, why does GW all of a sudden like to paint their new minis in a way that must put off every person with good taste? Also see VC book for more examples.

I've been wondering that too, it's like they're back to 5th edition, excepted it fitted the rather comical minis of back then ("points at own avatar"), but not the current grimdark ones...

Halelel
06-10-2009, 05:41

I "believe" (my opinion based on marketing experience here) the intent is to try to show as many different painting styles as possible to entice buyers to try various and different painting methods. Hence, the consumer ends up buying a wider variety of paints/foundations/washes/etc, rather than just relying on a single color scheme on the front box. It makes sense, to me anyways, for the stormvermin box to be a uniform color scheme simply because they want to show them off as a "elite" unit, rather than the rabble of regular clanrats and/or slaves.

While it does look awkward to seasoned gamers as we are use to more uniform color schemes, to a new player it might look like one of the pages in the old Army Books that showed various tones and color patterns using a single individual model. Just watch your local game stores in the near future and keep an eye out if individuals are trying various painting patterns found off of the clanrat/slave box.

252nd Fire Dragoon
06-10-2009, 06:15
Aloha,
Personally I like the new models. Like the majority, the Qwueek (or however you spell it) makes me want to start Skaven, and I HATE Skaven. But I am kinda meh on Doomwheel. Hard to notice all of the inner parts and such.

Vermin-thing
06-10-2009, 06:23
The Clanrat spears look soooo much better than the hand weapons.

Horus38
06-10-2009, 06:29
Yea, totally going to have to disagree with the OP. New Skaven look like a great lineup from what's available on advance orders, characters are very dynamic but not over the top IMHO.

-Grimgorironhide-
06-10-2009, 06:39
Yeah the sculpts are great. It really the "too clean" or uncharacterful paint jobs that hurt them.
Though some of the clan rat heads are pretty crap I must say (Luckly for me those will be cut and replaced with some decent looking heads).

cheers.

Laughingmonk
06-10-2009, 06:43
The new doomwheel is in my opinion one of the most awesome things I have ever seen games workshop release.

The conversion possibilities alone are endless. Ork player? Here's a trakk conversion!

Vampire counts? I could totally see a necrarch riding around on some arcane machine blasting the enemy to bits with dark magic.

I mean, really, I can't remember the last time a model had me so amazed. The guy who designed this one had vision. And it's 33 USD to boot!

I'm a die hard through and through Empire player, but these new models might actually make me want to start a new fantasy project.

-Grimgorironhide-
06-10-2009, 06:43

Remeber when the Orks were relased for 40k. Alot of people hated them because of the black and bright green colour scheme GW gave them. But when you actually get the sculpts for yourself your opinion will quickly change.

cheers.

Hellebore
06-10-2009, 06:45
HOLY CRAP! Those models are great.

HOLY CRAP! Stormvermin are expensive! Look out Goldswords, the Platinumvermin are coming!

Hellebore

Ultimate Life Form
06-10-2009, 06:50
HOLY CRAP! Stormvermin are expensive! Look out Goldswords, the Platinumvermin are coming!

Not really...:eyebrows:

It's more like Tinvermin...

-Grimgorironhide-
06-10-2009, 06:51
I'll do a review on the models IMO.

Clan rats.
-Defiante improvement over our current primeapes. 6 or so heads I really hate but they will be sliced off anyway and replaced with plague monk heads. The attached heads and shield arms are a pain but easily removable with a bit of patience. (I just hope the shield arm attachments arn't moulded next to the body, this will make it alot more frustrating). Monopose is a pain but I can convert some different poses with a bit of work.
Overall: 7.5/10

Storm Vermin.
-Loving them. They finally look more individual to the clan rats than before when they just looked like clan rats with heavy armour. Chest variations will make for some good flexibility and even though a few heads are questionable they are seperate so no problem there.
Overall: 8.5/10

Doomwheel.
-This guy is a beauty. Very Skryre looking. Plus more giant rats for giant rat packs. I wish they put in an option for front and side warp-blades but I can live with that.

Snikch.
-Very nice. Verses the old one I would say it about equals it which is pretty hard to do. The shaved fur I thing fits because it gives snikch a bit more speed (i.e atheletes). A bit to muscular but not near as bad as the bodybuilder flagellants.
I don't like the curl at the end of the cloak (Overkill really) but that bit will be snipped off. I love the whirlwind style attack formation.
Overall: 8/10

Queek.
-Pretty good. I like his trophy rack but I'am not really a fan of his pose. Its not too bad but It would suit snikch or another assassin much more. I will still get him though because at least he is no where near as fully covered in bits and bobs like our current version, even though I prefer that ones pose alot more.
Overall: 7/10

Skweel.
-Meh is really all that sums him up. The paint job IMO makes him look too cartoony.
I do like his warpstone whip though.
Overall: 6/10

Overall a very nice wave for me.

cheers.

Hellebore
06-10-2009, 06:53
Not really...:eyebrows:

It's more like Tinvermin...

No you are (mostly) right. Dollar for dollar greatswords are more expensive as there are only 10 in a box.

But still, $83AUD for 20 plastic models? There better be some actual crack in that...

The clanrats are $55AUD for the same number...

Hellebore

-Grimgorironhide-
06-10-2009, 06:58
No you are (mostly) right. Dollar for dollar greatswords are more expensive as there are only 10 in a box.

But still, $83AUD for 20 plastic models? There better be some actual crack in that...

The clanrats are $55AUD for the same number...

Hellebore

True but the Storm vermin are alot more customizable. Also since most elite boxes are $47AU per 10 now they are the cheapest elites overall (Though they are skaven elites so thats nothing to really brag about right:))

cheers.

Ultimate Life Form
06-10-2009, 07:12
I'll do a review on the models IMO.

Clan rats.
-Defiante improvement over our current primeapes. 6 or so heads I really hate but they will be sliced off anyway and replaced with plague monk heads. The attached heads and shield arms are a pain but easily removable with a bit of patience. (I just hope the shield arm attachments arn't moulded next to the body, this will make it alot more frustrating). Monopose is a pain but I can convert some different poses with a bit of work.
Overall: 7.5/10

There's just too many drawbacks here to call them the pinnacle of miniature design, but overall, they're okay. The models themselves are a vast improvement, but they get big-time minus points for lack of customizability. It's not enough to be better than what they replace, they must be good by their own standards. Therefore, my scoring would be

Storm Vermin.
-Loving them. They finally look more individual to the clan rats than before when they just looked like clan rats with heavy armour. Chest variations will make for some good flexibility and even though a few heads are questionable they are seperate so no problem there.

"A few heads!?" I really hate these weird crests that seem to be GW's idea of the new Skaven aesthetics and pray to god they're optional (which, of course, they won't be). They look far too much like Roman legionnaires, especially with their armor and paintjob. That's a no-no, GW! We don't need subterranean Romans! Leave that for Tilea. Based on the unfitting design, I must downgrade your score to

Doomwheel.
-This guy is a beauty. Very Skryre looking. Plus more giant rats for giant rat packs. I wish they put in an option for front and side warp-blades but I can live with that.

Yes, I think it's okay though a bit more options wouldn't have hurt.
8.0 from me.

Snikch.
-Very nice. Verses the old one I would say it about equals it which is pretty hard to do. The shaved fur I thing fits because it gives snikch a bit more speed (i.e atheletes). A bit to muscular but not near as bad as the bodybuilder flagellants.
I don't like the curl at the end of the cloak (Overkill really) but that bit will be snipped off. I love the whirlwind style attack formation.
Overall: 8/10

Eh... Snikch is not an athlete but an Assassin. If he wants speed, he'd better leave his cloak at home rather than shave his (mostly conceiled) fur. But the mini is awesome, and with the right paintjob, it will be breathtaking. It gets a
9.0 from me

Queek.
-Pretty good. I like his trophy rack but I'am not really a fan of his pose. Its not too bad but It would suit snikch or another assassin much more. I will still get him though because at least he is no where near as fully covered in bits and bobs like our current version, even though I prefer that ones pose alot more.
Overall: 7/10

Leaping rat coming for you... Hm, I like him, but I cannot see much of an improvement over the old sculpt. It's good but not amazing.

Skweel.
-Meh is really all that sums him up. The paint job IMO makes him look too cartoony.
I do like his warpstone whip though.
Overall: 6/10

Urk... disfigured blob with spiky hair and a featurless mess for a face? Color me unimpressed. His sabretooth lion pet is 'somehow' cool but still pretty ugly and ridiculous. The worst thing must be that both have the same face sculpted on. No way, GW... I'm not gonna get it, Warpstone whip or no. Seeing the pure awesomeness of the more recent models, this is all the more disappointing.

Overall a very nice wave for me.

cheers.

Hmmm... a mixed bag. Some good, some not quite as good. Still, I'm looking forward to this release. Let's wait and see what the Screaming Bell/Plague Furnace kit has in store for us...

Aedes
06-10-2009, 09:09
Well...
to be honest, I like the old models better, too.
But I think that depends on your taste...
and I always thought they were supposed to be comical
and really fun and crazy to play?

Kayosiv
06-10-2009, 09:28
I really just don't like the new clanrats. The old ones weren't great either but I don't think these ones are an improvement at all... they just don't seem "skaveny" for some reason.

With that said the doomwheel is absolutely jaw dropping.

Queek and Sniktch ROCK hardcore, the "new guy" is kind of meh, all he has going for him is a neat whip.

iio
06-10-2009, 09:31
I would say the new skaven roster is preatty awesome! Good looking chars, specially headtaker he is a stud!. Doomwheel is yeah, DOOOOMWHEEEL. And all the other units are aswell looking good.

Really cool batman look on the assasin character aswell. True comic flavour imo.

mrtn
06-10-2009, 09:37
I'd also prefer the Skaven to be digitigrade as opposed to having huge clown feet...
Haha, you've never seen a clanrat before, have you?

theloniouskrunk
06-10-2009, 09:53
Beautiful, beautiful rats!

I have often flirted with the idea of a Skaven army to pit my Dwarfs against and I can now, (quite unexpectedly), see myself spending way too much on rats over the next few months.

I love Skweel - THAT's what a rat packmaster should look like.

On an almost unrelated note i did also flirt with an acctual rat once too. It died...

Dr Death
06-10-2009, 09:57
I can see an argument for not liking the new skaven. Even if they were as multipose as the previous models the change in look is significant enough to warrent questioning how they compare to the previous edition. Personally i didnt think the old skaven plastics were *that* bad. It's only once i started hearing all the dislike for the hands and feet that it began to bother me to be honest.

The faces are the biggest change really. The artwork for the skaven has changed substantially over the years and in the original Jes Goodwin sketches and drawings they were more of a 'fancy rat' style, very much Splinter from Teenage mutant ninja turtles: scruffy but healthy. Over the years though the artwork has progressed and the skaven have gone from fancy rat to unhealthy rat to maltreated rat and now decomposing rat. More appropriote perhaps yes but not universally welcome. If you dig it then that's fine (i'm 50/50 on the whole matter) but it's not an argument that's so easily written off as just malcontention from people afraid of change.

Dr Death

Aedes
06-10-2009, 10:01
Just had a look at the pics of the doomwheel-- that one is really cool.
But the clanrats-- hey, they look like YAWNING HAMSTERS!

Tokugawa100
06-10-2009, 10:07
Dude you have got to be completely on your own with your dislike for the new models. Seriously these are some of the best if not the best models GW has even released. .

Not anymore.
I personally think they are the worst new line of models, yes they are an improvement from the old ones but not the right direction.
They are far too awkward looking and yes comical.

Vermin-thing
06-10-2009, 10:21
Not anymore.
I personally think they are the worst new line of models, yes they are an improvement from the old ones but not the right direction.
They are far too awkward looking and yes comical.

Maddness!!!

No. We can say what we wan't, I think... :eyebrows:

These models have sort of gone back to their fifth edition nature which is for all intents comical.

All we need is pics of them ranked up, really.

orlanth1000
06-10-2009, 10:26
Doomwheel,......smoking hot

dirach.
06-10-2009, 11:27
Oh. No! I just bought and painted skavens for my Warhammer quest game, and these new skaven are awesome. I should have waited. :(

Kurisu313
06-10-2009, 11:44
Just went to have a look.

Deathmaster Sniktch...OH. MY. GOD. I've always liked him...perhaps I've been watching too much or Zoro from One Piece, or Killer Bee from Naruto, but there's just something about multiple blade wielding lunatics. His new model is pure awesome and win. Awesome and Win.

Do I want to start a Skaven army? *Looks inside wallet and sighs*

The SkaerKrow
06-10-2009, 12:19
The new models are incredible. If I was currently playing WHFB often enough to justify the purchase, I'd invest in an army just on the strength of the figures.

Tringsh
06-10-2009, 12:36
IMHO the models look allot scarier and in a sense more believable than the old ones. I wouldn’t want one of those coming up through my toilet!

Let’s hope Beastmen get the same treatment!

Sureshot05
06-10-2009, 15:25
Not even Storm vermin could knock the Goldswords off their ridiculously priced perch! However, I am 50/50 on the current batch of Skaven. I am mainly a modeller and they are just far to monopose for my tastes. The clan rats are all very similar and rather dull in my opinion. A mix of the old kits flexibility with these new poses would have been much nicer. Same appears to go for the Stormvermin, just a little too monopose and lacking customisabilty for my tastes. Both kits for me would require a lot of cutting and green stuffing to make interesting.

However, the doom wheel, Queek, and Snitch are great models, and I may pick up the doom wheel just to add it next to the classic I've kept all these years. It's a lovely model and definitely my favourite model since the planet strike terrain and valkyrie releases and probably my favourite of the year so far.

Ghod
06-10-2009, 15:54
Firmly in the *LIKE* camp...

Deathmaster is all kinds of awesome

I'll wait a while and the pick and choose what I want from bits sites for a Mordheim Warband.

Ultimate Life Form
06-10-2009, 15:55
It would appear a lot of vivisection appointments are scheduled in Hellpit for the close future.

While this may be in spirit of Clan Moulder, I would have preferred customizing my army by conventional means. I wonder...

Will it be possible to 'plague up' Clanrats, especially the stupid ones by using the leftover parts from my Plague Monks for use in my Pestilens army? Well, I'm glad most of them do already look pestilensy to begin with...

Tyranno1
06-10-2009, 15:57
Im in the "like" side as well. They are extrmely good, and are actually making me reminise about when I first started warhammer (even though I never owned skaven).

I think I will pick up a box of the clanrats just to use as slaves in my dark elf army as proxy "warriors".

mrtn
06-10-2009, 16:59
It would appear a lot of vivisection appointments are scheduled in Hellpit for the close future.

While this may be in spirit of Clan Moulder, I would have preferred customizing my army by conventional means. I wonder...

Will it be possible to 'plague up' Clanrats, especially the stupid ones by using the leftover parts from my Plague Monks for use in my Pestilens army? Well, I'm glad most of them do already look pestilensy to begin with...At least 16 of them have some clothing on the torso, so those should be able to have their right arms replaced easily. About six of them look to have heads that should be easy to remove. I suppose you could attack their left arms as well, but that involves quite some carving, I fear, and would leave scars.

Shadowsinner
06-10-2009, 17:13
normally I complain about GW prices, but I can see where 50 bucks is justified

youd spend about the same buying 2 10 box sets for 25 each. theyre just givving you double the models for twice the price... no more and no less.

its a pity they didnt make 10 man sets however but I guess you can leave that to ebay

gorenut
06-10-2009, 17:28
Easily the best release set of models GW has had in a while. I havn't been this excited about a plastic set since seeing the DE cold ones (which have since been converted into LM CO Riders for me) and to have a good enough set to complete a Battalion that I actually want to get. I don't think I've purchased a Battalion box since... well.. ever in Fantasy (I purchased a Tau Battleforce box back in their first release, been tempted on the Ogres a few times, and got the Wood Elf one for my cousin).

I love all the new Skaven models I've seen so far except for the packmaster special character. Crap.. its going to be such an expensive month for me.

Volrath
06-10-2009, 17:37
new models look good, way over due for an update.

and. if you really do hate the new models...well, the new models hate you too!

=)

guillaume
06-10-2009, 17:59
I have to say, those stormvermins look like they mean business. Far scarier and nastier looking than their current models.

The clanrats, nice.

But snikch! very old-rackham confrontation like. I think this is departure for GW, nice to see that they are making models with overemphasized movement. These will be a dream model for Golden Demon entries.

gorenut
06-10-2009, 18:01
I have to say, those stormvermins look like they mean business. Far scarier and nastier looking than their current models.

The clanrats, nice.

But snikch! very old-rackham confrontation like. I think this is departure for GW, nice to see that they are making models with overemphasized movement. These will be a dream model for Golden Demon entries.

I really like the Snikch model.. it looks like he's been waiting in the shadows the whole time and has finally let loose his ultimate attack where he turns himself into a whirling turbine of blades (possibly even spinning in a buzzsaw motion).. It's like his finish pose and I can imagine opponents around him falling over while he does that stance, very killy IMO.

unannunciative
06-10-2009, 19:00
Yes, I totally agree with you, I don't like Skaven models too!

Gekiganger
06-10-2009, 19:18
I'm perfectly happy with having hamster-men as I really like the old single pose ones. I'll bet you my tail that your opinion will change once we see them ranked up with a "color scheme".

If you mean the crabrats, they looked more like wolf-rats. The last gen looked like monkey-rats, now they look like... dog-hamsters.

I'm incredibly disapointed with the new range sofar, excluding stormvermin and the doomwheel. They look comical and flat, most of them are furless, Queek has some bears head thing going on and looks tubby, Snikch has a cartoony face and is, once again, bald.

How people can like the clanrats in the attached pic that are circled in red is beyond me, and all of them bar the one circled in green look poor. The monopose and change in style is tempting me to stick with monkey rats.

The general style of GW's recent sculpts all seems to lead to a more cartoony look, both O&G, Skaven and some of the Vampire counts look very cartoony to me.

ZeroTwentythree
06-10-2009, 19:28
They aren't rats. They're mutant rat like humanoid creatures.

Problem solved -- now they don't have to look exactly like rats.

Still, if you don't like them, you don't like them. No one's saying anyone has to like them. (Except for that shadowy creature peeking out from the sewer in front of your house...)

Gekiganger
06-10-2009, 19:37
They aren't rats. They're mutant rat like humanoid creatures.

Problem solved -- now they don't have to look exactly like rats.

But I'm sure if GW made a load of orcs that looked like man-mushrooms, people would be able to argue 'They arn't bulky, green humanoids, they're a fungus like humanoid creature. Problem solved.'. Doesn't mean players will be satisfied.

loveless
How people can like the clanrats in the attached pic that are circled in red is beyond me, and all of them bar the one circled in green look poor. The monopose and change in style is tempting me to stick with monkey rats.

I suggest you go buy some monkey-rats. The quicker those abominations get off the shelves, the quicker some models worth the coin can replace them :p

Ultimate Life Form

Hmm...

Funny, these are the exactly same rats I'd have circled red as well, except for the right one.:p

This is proof to me that other people see the same problems that I do. Let me guess, it's the unhinged jaws for the left (bald) ones and the 'smily hamster in pastels' look for the middle group?

However the rest I don't find so bad, especially those with tattered rags on their heads.

ZeroTwentythree
06-10-2009, 19:41
But I'm sure if GW made a load of orcs that looked like man-mushrooms, people would be able to argue 'They arn't bulky, green humanoids, they're a fungus like humanoid creature. Problem solved.'. Doesn't mean players will be satisfied.

A mushroom man army would be sweet!

Orcs are sooooo 1980's...

;)

Ultimate Life Form
06-10-2009, 19:43
A mushroom man army would be sweet!

The idea of an alien mushroom men army has already been used I'm afraid:

http://www.mariowiki.com/Shroob

bork da basher
06-10-2009, 19:50
at first i was utterly aghast at how much i disliked the preview clanrat that was posted up. i hated it as i seldom hate a mini.

seeing these as a unit im warming to them but i have to say the doomwheel is awesome as is snitch n queek. the stormvermin look really promising too. im kind of torn now but i'll have to see what else pops up before i decide if i like them enough to start skaven again....i only sold my old skaven less than a year ago.

Laurela
06-10-2009, 19:52
the new Skaven models are sweeeet. Especially the Stormvermin and Doomwheel, I can finally get rid of my 30 metal SV 8).

basher
06-10-2009, 19:54
just a quick rant
1 stormvermin are not elite's any more according to GW website they are a core choice
2 if you've ever seen a rat face to face like me in the middle of the night sat on my sleeping bag they look nearly right for something mutated into a human form
3 i think all the new mini's are ********* awsome

Nephilim of Sin
06-10-2009, 19:54
The general style of GW's recent sculpts all seems to lead to a more cartoony look, both O&G, Skaven and some of the Vampire counts look very cartoony to me.

I completely disagree. Well, except for OnG, which always have had that element in their army here and there.

However, I think that GW's recent paintjobs have led to their models having a more cartoony look. I am far from the best painter, but there seems to be more of a focus on extreme edge highlights, less blending, and leading to an overall 'bright, cartoony' look. Just check out the Azhag. Now look at him close up, on full screen, and you can see what I mean. That is perhaps the worst 'Eavy Metal paintjob I have seen (even if it is still miles above myself).

Basically, check out the models in person, not from their website.

loveless
06-10-2009, 19:59
just a quick rant
1 stormvermin are not elite's any more according to GW website they are a core choice

Stormvermin are the Skaven Elite.

As it stands, there are so many of them (coming from Warlord Clans and all), that they are Core units instead of Special.

Note that Fantasy does not have an "Elite" section, unlike 40K ;)

Ri-xthoal Lord of Lustira
06-10-2009, 20:09
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat50041&prodId=prod210013a

How they could say skaven models suck? :<

basher
06-10-2009, 20:12
sorry got to disagree mate if they were elite's they be special's like grt swords,blk orcs,chosen,temple guard ect ect ect

loveless
06-10-2009, 20:14
sorry got to disagree mate if they were elite's they be special's like grt swords,blk orcs,chosen,temple guard ect ect ect

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1350004&prodId=prod260001a

The Stormvermin are the fighting elite of the Skaven warlord clans.

You can disagree with me, but GW seems to agree with me :p

Kenshinzo 7
06-10-2009, 20:22
Loveless is correct. Stormvermin are the elite foot soldiers of the skaven army go read the army book if you don't believe him.

Midevil216
06-10-2009, 21:07

Good for you.

Shadowsinner
06-10-2009, 21:10
it makes me wonder how anyone can sculpt a rat man and not expect it to be a bit cartoony

people will hate them and wish the creators dead, until they release and then those people will love them... just like the past... lizardmen, dark elves, vampire counts, blah blah blah

spetswalshe
06-10-2009, 22:05
I'm really uneasy about these.

Queek is a great model, no question. The dynamic pose is exactly the kind of thing GW should be doing. Gnawtooth and Snikch I'm pretty confident I dislike. Gnawtooth for the laziness of the sculpt (someone mentioned the flatness of it and was spot on), though I'd really like to see him with a different paint job before I settled on an opinion. Snikch just looks ridiculous, it's flamboyance is reminiscent of that one-winged vampire sculpt, but totally inappropriate when it comes to this character. Why is one corner of his cape so enormously longer than the other? It looks like someone showed the sculptor a nice drawing of Snikch and the sculptor took the stylistic pose way too literally. Or it looks like a Golden Daemon entry. Can you imagine that model ranked up in a clanrat unit?

And, the crux (brux?) of the matter; clanrats. I can't really decide whether I hate them or whether I feel they'll grow on me. They just look so very upright. And while twenty bodies sounds nice, they don't look all that different from one another.

I guess I'm looking at it from a Mordheim perspective, rather than the Warhammer Fantasy one. The old rats were indeed a nightmare to rank and build - I've only made a handful and I've re-glued enough tails to last a lifetime. But for all their giant-hands-and-feet clownishness (something fixed by the Packmaster and Plague Monk robed bodies) they have a hell of a lot of charm, and their posture seems much more appropriate.

Hopefully it is just the paint job, but I certainly think my current clanrat and night runner heads are a lot better than those fixed clanrat ones. Though it's nice to see them wearing trousers, at least - when you're a filthy rat with no sense of shame who urinates on subordinates, why would you bother with a loincloth?

ZeroTwentythree
07-10-2009, 01:54
it makes me wonder how anyone can sculpt a rat man and not expect it to be a bit cartoony

Well, they should just start looking at real mutant ratmen as the basis for their sculpts, that way they will look more realistic.

Seriously, though, even human figures from, including most of those from historical miniatures company, look a bit cartoony. It's part of the issue with reducing something down to that type of scale but still having a visual appeal.

petesamd
07-10-2009, 02:42
Oh I adore the new models, I've always loved the skaven concept yet could never make myself buy such disgusting (and not in the good rat man way) models, now that theres new ones I'm probably gonna have to buy a few boxes when they come out!

Zombiedev
07-10-2009, 03:16
I just looked at them yesterday and they look great to me. Especially the new Doomwheel. Queek looks especially awesome heh.

DarkLordofDarkness
07-10-2009, 03:38
I love the fact that a post called "I hate the new Skaven Models!" has turned into five pages about how awesome the new Skaven models are :)

Col. Tartleton
07-10-2009, 03:43
I really like the new style they have. They look more like rodents and I can almost pretend they're the good guys now (which has been my plan all along)

The new spartan thing is really doing it for me.

The urge to paint Queek golden and call him Rattanidas or blackened bronze and calling him Rat Pitt is extremely tempting. Though the cost of buying 300 matching storm vermin is not so appealing. (about $750)

The Helot clanrats and slaves are also really cool. The new models really capture the new greek inspired rat man thing. Next thing you know Skyre with be Athenian themed with all their tinkering.

Chaos Warlord
07-10-2009, 03:46
I have to agree with the OP, i really do hate the new skaven, infact im so dissapointed with the looks of the new clanrats especially, that im almost thinking about deserting skaven alltogether.

still, im having toughts about using plaguemonks as clanrats, or just focus on stormvermin as my mainrats, and if mainstay is gone that will just have to do..
but pricey... :eyebrows:

also, the stormvermin looks "allright".. but what the **** is up with those ****** ************ emaciated arms? :eyebrows:
they are as skinny on their arms as those clanrats for !¤%#!!!!
and they are the fighting elite, the black skaven, the biggest and badest of all!.. :(

this feels like saurus/temple guard - anorectic warriors all over...:cries:

seriusly that packmaster model.. :rolleyes:

gorenut
07-10-2009, 05:43
I have to agree with the OP, i really do hate the new skaven, infact im so dissapointed with the looks of the new clanrats especially, that im almost thinking about deserting skaven alltogether.

still, im having toughts about using plaguemonks as clanrats, or just focus on stormvermin as my mainrats, and if mainstay is gone that will just have to do..
but pricey... :eyebrows:

also, the stormvermin looks "allright".. but what the **** is up with those ****** ************ emaciated arms? :eyebrows:
they are as skinny on their arms as those clanrats for !¤%#!!!!
and they are the fighting elite, the black skaven, the biggest and badest of all!.. :(

this feels like saurus/temple guard - anorectic warriors all over...:cries:

seriusly that packmaster model.. :rolleyes:

I'll take skaven with proportional arms over monkey arms any day.

While I agree with the plastic saurus being anorexic, the new Temple Guards are quite appropriately meaty.

Lordsaradain
07-10-2009, 13:50
The new clanrats are a definite improvement anyway, that can't really be argued.

zetaplus
07-10-2009, 13:55
Some people seem to have forgotten that these are figures of fantasy creatures, not anatomically correct model kits of real world rodents.

O&G'sRule
07-10-2009, 14:04
I'm very impressed with the new models, the clanrats are growing on me more and more, they really are lovely for just basic troops. Though painting lots might take some time

mrtn
07-10-2009, 16:12
I'm very impressed with the new models, the clanrats are growing on me more and more, they really are lovely for just basic troops. Though painting lots might take some time

One basecoat and one wash works surprisingly well on skaven IMO. I've painted 2500 points like that in the last year.

valdrog
07-10-2009, 16:20
I allready sold my left Kidney so i can replace all the monkey-rats with snapped-of tails that currently form my Clanrat regiments.
I hope i have money left over to buy the rest of the minis..dont think i can get away with selling the other kidney....

Lemonbrick
07-10-2009, 16:30
I love the look of the new skaven

When I saw them I did my Dr Zoidburg impression.

humm must reist must reist

Ward.
07-10-2009, 16:31
I allready sold my left Kidney so i can replace all the monkey-rats with snapped-of tails that currently form my Clanrat regiments.
I hope i have money left over to buy the rest of the minis..dont think i can get away with selling the other kidney....

No such thing as a price to high when it comes too skaven, you should know this.

On the topic of the models:
-I like the new storm vermin but they're not quite what I wanted.
-The deathmaster is a model I'll buy just to paint up, the pose has just the right amount of FABULOUS to it.
-I used queeks old model as my warlord and I think it's time I upgraded.

Alathir
07-10-2009, 16:45
The models are fantastic, I'm almost definitely going to start an army of these buggers. They were my most hated army when I started playing but they've slowly grown on me and these new sculpts have sold me. I actually like what the haters call the 'hamsters' at the bottom, they add a difference of size throughout the unit (or at least it looks like it) which I havent really ever seen before. They look so absolutely pathetic, just like a clanrat should.

If any people who worked on sculpting these beauties are reading this thread, know that I and many others, appreciate their efforts.

Gekiganger
07-10-2009, 18:30
Hmm...

Funny, these are the exactly same rats I'd have circled red as well, except for the right one.:p

This is proof to me that other people see the same problems that I do. Let me guess, it's the unhinged jaws for the left (bald) ones and the 'smily hamster in pastels' look for the middle group?

However the rest I don't find so bad, especially those with tattered rags on their heads.

I don't find the rest as bad, they're certainly okay. They wouldn't put me off buying, the red ones do. The green one just makes me cry over how they thought the other sculpts shouldn't look like that. With the ones on the left it's a combination of the gormless Azhag style dropped jaw and the fact that their head just looks like one expanse of skin stretched over the rough shape of a rats head.

However, I think that GW's recent paintjobs have led to their models having a more cartoony look.

It's certainly a factor in it, one of the reasons of me not losing hope.

Bit cartooney doesn't mean it should look like it came waltzing out of a disney film. The crabrat and metal clanrats of the past, the old characters... prettymuch everything except the new releases and a few of the lustria models looked 'a bit cartooney' in areas, but they looked far more realistic than this.

I honestly can't see how people are playing a wargame with so little imagination that they can't handle imagining what a real mutant ratman would look like. Do people just imagine them looking like the minatures? :confused: , if so I can see why pnp roleplay games are going down the pan, I blame TV - people can't handle imagining anything that isn't handed to them on a plate. :rolleyes:

07-10-2009, 19:06
I Have to say the new rats were everything i was waiting for. The only thing I'm upset about is the clan rats heads are fused to the torso. Ah...well, the storm vermin are hard to resist.

loveless
07-10-2009, 19:45
I honestly can't see how people are playing a wargame with so little imagination that they can't handle imagining what a real mutant ratman would look like. Do people just imagine them looking like the minatures? :confused: , if so I can see why pnp roleplay games are going down the pan, I blame TV - people can't handle imagining anything that isn't handed to them on a plate. :rolleyes:

Is it lonely up there on your pedestal?

The new Clanrats pretty much fit with my imagination when I think of warped rat-men - Skaven aren't exactly man+rat, but man+rat+warpstone. They're a twisted mockery of humanity.

The new minis give me the same vibe that the artwork does - it's wrong in all the right ways.

That said, everyone's imagination is going to be different. Just because someone doesn't agree with your imagination doesn't mean that they don't have any imagination...it's rather rude to suggest such a thing.

orlanth1000
07-10-2009, 19:56
Loving the new models now I'v had a closer look, but Snikch? Sorry but I agree with the post above, the cloak seems a bit weird.
But hey it wouldn't be a major problem to fix, but that's being fussy.

That doomwheel, wow....I don't play skaven ( I will still buy lots of though ), but I really love that model.
What else is there to be released we have not seen yet?

loveless
07-10-2009, 19:59
What else is there to be released we have not seen yet?

The Screaming Bell/Plague Furnace plastic kit.

Souppilgrim
07-10-2009, 21:28
Love the new Skaven Models. I'm going to start an army this fall/winter. I wanted to start skaven in the past but the rat monkeys kept me from it. The new models have a lot of character. A real rat/man analog would look like a turn on sticks, this GW imagined vision has way more character.

I see what some people are saying about cartoony, but I think a lot of that has to do with the paint job just as others have said. If you don't have any white or tan colored rats, and you paint them a little more dirty that will fix it if one were so inclined.

endless
07-10-2009, 21:43
I'm going to have to chime in. Some of the models are great, but that Skweel model...:eyebrows:
I can see what the sculptor is trying to do, and it's an interesting idea, but the end product just doesn't work. It's just a little too individual a style.
I admit, I'm biased, all I've ever wanted was for the original Jes models to be made easily available again. I know the company has moved on in their concepts but IMHO nothing can equal the original release.
As it is, I'll probably see if sizewise the new clan rats fit with my metals, and if they do, pick a few boxes up. I will get those black Skaven, and probably very little else. Maybe Queek, but drop that trophy rack. :p
How can he leap around with a baby elephant on his back?

mbh1127
08-10-2009, 00:29
I find it strange to hear all the complaints about the paint jobs on the new skaven. Someone please show me a pro-painted skaven army.

I hate to say this, but the majority of Skaven armies I have seen in my 20 years of gaming are no where near the quality of the new GW painted skaven. I think I might have seen 1 or 2 well painted armies, but they are few and far between.

IMO Skaven are one of the hardest armies to paint and make them look good. That combined with the poor plastic models makes a well painted skaven army a rare thing.

If anyone has links to some examples I would love to eat my words. Seeing a fully painted skaven army is always awesome.

Alathir
08-10-2009, 03:28
I don't find the rest as bad, they're certainly okay. They wouldn't put me off buying, the red ones do. The green one just makes me cry over how they thought the other sculpts shouldn't look like that. With the ones on the left it's a combination of the gormless Azhag style dropped jaw and the fact that their head just looks like one expanse of skin stretched over the rough shape of a rats head.

It's certainly a factor in it, one of the reasons of me not losing hope.

Bit cartooney doesn't mean it should look like it came waltzing out of a disney film. The crabrat and metal clanrats of the past, the old characters... prettymuch everything except the new releases and a few of the lustria models looked 'a bit cartooney' in areas, but they looked far more realistic than this.

It takes a special type of arrogance to suggest that everyone but you has no imagination. Seriously though, if you don't like the Skaven then that's fine, I personally think they are fantastic - yes, even the hamster-esque ones - but don't waltz around telling me that I have zero capacity for imagination. Your opinion is no more valid than my own.

txamil
08-10-2009, 04:48
They are definitely better than the old sculpts, but I don't totally love them.

I wanted something much grittier.

Bloodless
08-10-2009, 07:49

I know they need to make realistic looking... like goblin gobo fanatics!;)

Angelwing
08-10-2009, 08:02
I quite like the new stuff. I'll only be picking up the new special character sculpts though. I have enough worthless, cowardly scum.. er I mean loyal troopers as it is. Yes yes.

Gekiganger
08-10-2009, 17:39
Is it lonely up there on your pedestal?

That said, everyone's imagination is going to be different. Just because someone doesn't agree with your imagination doesn't mean that they don't have any imagination...it's rather rude to suggest such a thing.

as soon as he finished typing this sentence all his credibility was gone and i stopped reading. Find me a living breathing ratman to compare these to please. Oh wait i forgot they are a fictional IP that GW can represent however they feel like, in hopes that it has broad appeal. Something i think they have done here very well. If you dont like the models Play with the old ones.

Well when the OPs oppinion is being completely discredited as 'you can't have an oppinion because there are no living ratmen!' is being posted, despite the pretty badass background material skaven have, and I'll be damned if they DON'T look like ratmen in their older incarnations, I'd happily live on my pedestal if that's what's required to argue otherwise.

There's a difference as far as I'm concerned, ofcourse you can disregard my oppinion completely if it's different to yours - but it would be rather rude to do so.

Is it lonely up there on your pedestal? :rolleyes:

loveless
08-10-2009, 17:45
-stuff-

You missed the point entirely.

I don't object to you voicing your opinion - I object to you voicing it in such an arrogant manner. To accuse people of having no imagination because their opinion is different from yours is just...wrong. It makes your comments reek of elitism and puts the rest of your argument in a bad light.

You're free to have your opinions, obviously - 'tis the nature of most of the countries WarSeers live in.

If you don't agree that "Well, there's no such thing as a real rat-man, so you don't know what they'd look like anyway!", well, that should be a call to explain yourself better - not to take up arms and belittle your fellow forumites.

Discord
08-10-2009, 20:14
The regular clanrats are okay. The helmetless heads look a bit hamstery, though. My main issue with them is there's twenty different models, all in pretty much the same pose. Easy to rank up, easy to assemble? Sure. But maybe a bit too easy. I'd at least have expected separate heads, to make slaves and clanrats easier to recognize, as you're supposed to make them both from the same box.

All those comments that these are great because mutant ratmen don't have to look like real rats don't really mean anything, by the way. By that logic, the previous models were perfectly fine, too. Who says mutant rat-men shouldn't have hands bigger than their heads and flippers for feet?

Anyhow, wheely thing and stormvermin are cool, but I really can't figure out why there's a chorus of people praising the new Queek and Snikch. They look terribly over the top. I mean, one dude's leaping around while wearing heavy armour and toting around four (!) banner poles with a rat ogre skeleton on top. Snikch could probably arm-wrestle Gotrek and it'd be an even match with those hamfists of his. And what on earth is up with that cloak? It just seems GW is trying to go for "coolness" and completely discard realism on the wayside. Maybe nice for a display miniature or a diorama, but I'd prefer my general to look like he's actually leading an army, not starring in some animation marketed towards kids*.

It's doubly strange because GW is constantly pumping out wonderful, wonderful plastic kits (undead, dark elves, chaos) and creating some of the most horrible, overblown hero kits. Every single vampire miniature in the last release, these skaven characters, the space wolves, all godawful. Luckily, I can still buy the cool new plastic kits and hunt down cool old metal characters from eBay, to make an army I like. Looks more unique, too.

*Not trying to disparage people who like them, I like some stuff marketed towards kids too and don't consider myself particularly grown-up.

N810
08-10-2009, 20:35
I find it strange to hear all the complaints about the paint jobs on the new skaven. Someone please show me a pro-painted skaven army.

I hate to say this, but the majority of Skaven armies I have seen in my 20 years of gaming are no where near the quality of the new GW painted skaven. I think I might have seen 1 or 2 well painted armies, but they are few and far between.

IMO Skaven are one of the hardest armies to paint and make them look good. That combined with the poor plastic models makes a well painted skaven army a rare thing.

If anyone has links to some examples I would love to eat my words. Seeing a fully painted skaven army is always awesome.

It's not that they are painted poorly,
it is just that bright, shiny, and crisp do not really
say dirty plage riden vermin to me... :eyebrows:

Most Skaven armies are painted in more muted colors,
blacks, greys, browns, and sickly greens
with rusted weapons and the like.

kairous
08-10-2009, 20:57
This is the first time in a while that GW has released some SC's with a new book and i have thought they looked awesome.

Love the way they have captured the movement on deathmaster and the warlord, im very meh towards the whip guy though, like the warpstone on the end, but thats about it.

Regarding the other bits they look cool too, not sure why GW chose to have the heads attached to the clan rats bodies though ???

I have a week off from work next week, looks like i got some to catch up on my other stuff before the skaven are unleashed :D

O&G'sRule
09-10-2009, 00:11
I Have to say the new rats were everything i was waiting for. The only thing I'm upset about is the clan rats heads are fused to the torso.

I think the majority hate sticking every limb onto a torso with basic troops, way too much time for the dozens of models you have to do it to, especially when you consider that you can't really do much as they have to rank up.
I really don't get the original comment moaning that the models look too unrealistic, I mean the clue's in the name Warhammer FANTASY Battles, Not Warhammer Reality Battles. Best launch sets GW have done in my opinion

jimbobodoll
09-10-2009, 01:16
For me, I judge the range based on the following:
1) What are skaven supposed to look like/what is their design? - Jes Goodwin's 1980s sculpts and the accompanying artwork of this era.
2) Do the new releases bare a resemblance to these so as to look like models that I happily identify as "skaven"? - No many do not although some do (great consistency GW).

Firm models we can all agree are great I'm sure: Queek, stormvermin, doom wheel
Most controversy: clanrats. I'm with the OP as I think they don't live up to Jes' portrayal of skaven. I'll stick to my 100 or so 1980s clanrats ta.
Model that is absolutely dire: Skweel (no nails ffs? They even sculpted nails 24/25 years ago when Jes made the first skaven!)

Ri-xthoal Lord of Lustira
09-10-2009, 01:30
Look, I think you guys are being too judgmental on these models. I don't why everyone complaining about the skaven models, but compare to LM they are the best one.

Seriously, I like these new skaven models and wouldn't change them for anything.

mweaver
09-10-2009, 02:22
I like them too. I also like the old ones. Just easy to please, rat-wise, I suppose.

Souppilgrim
09-10-2009, 02:37
I think people see the Jes Goodwin Skaven models through the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia. They have some pretty goofy poses, and just an non-threatening simplistic look.

Lewzardman
09-10-2009, 11:41
I'm not keen on the new models, to me they look like a plaice or some sort of flat fish given rat form.

Also £30 for 20 plastic skaven? pfff

antin3
09-10-2009, 12:09
I really think these are some of the best models ever produced by GW, I mean in the clanrats alone you get 20 different bodies. The sculpts are superb!!

Nephilim of Sin
09-10-2009, 13:32
Also £30 for 20 plastic skaven? pfff

It's better than the Goldswords...:D Especially since, unlike the Goldswords, you are paying about the same price as the old metals and getting twice the amount of minis (20 Stormvermin vs. 10 Goldswords). It is also now cheaper than getting two units of Black Orcs (to make 20 models), even before the price-hike (except for when the BOs had that fancy $40 box for 20 models....). So, that is pretty much on par with the treatment older metal units have gotten when being converted to plastic.

I am actually surprised, because the new Skaven seem to be somewhat reasonably priced compared to some of GWs recent decisions (although I hate the '$33'...why can't it be a nice, round number like $30 or $35? :p).

Magic Karl
09-10-2009, 21:06
Im gonna join the side of "not liking"... I see the conversion prospects here, but the mouth poses... y'know... why do 90% of them have to have open mouths... it's not threatening looking, it looks... as said before "goofy". I saw the armoured one before, the cover rat if you want, and thought immediatley "this looks too clean".

I AM however glad that they're keeping the standard box of clanrats £20 for 20, as it was rumoured around here that it'd be the 10 for £12 GW seems so fond of. Also, the doomwheel looks amazing, and I could so easily use one for a lizardmen conversion... it just looks jungly.

Over all though, I think the old clanrats will sell out on ebay when the new book comes out... and as we know, Skaven will become the most powerful army available...

Lijacote
09-10-2009, 21:07
So much hate on Warseer.

Nephilim of Sin
09-10-2009, 22:41
So much hate on Warseer.

Well, to be fair, we did start with fear, but that led to anger. The anger led to hate, which will eventually lead to suffering....:p

loveless
09-10-2009, 22:42
Well, to be fair, we did start with fear, but that led to anger. The anger led to hate, which will eventually lead to suffering....:p

Which eventually leads to one of the coolest fictional characters turning into a pansy and shouting "NOOOOOOOO!!!!"

In this case...probably gonna be Queek...

mourninghost
10-10-2009, 02:21
I'm not a fantasy player...but I can see why some don't like the new Skaven models. I'm not a fan either. As an artist seeing flat planes used to create form on something that's supposed to be grunged and furry doesn't really fly with me. They remind me of the newest Nurgle Plaguebearers and Daemon Prince, flat cartoony shapes. Which is why I'm goin' scratch-built on my upcoming Daemon force! Lumpy, sinewy, spiky...none of that goofy stuff.

Draquenoire
10-10-2009, 03:50
I have to say I am very impressed with the new Skaven models. They are breath-taking to me. Even my normally unimpressable coworker considered them fantastic models. It just amazes how with each release GW improves its craft.

Anaxagoras
10-10-2009, 04:24
Amazing awesome models...I want to start a skaven army...